2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos Γ—

Greatest video I have ever seen on Early extension

I played today after 2 sessions practicing the main points in this video. Driver and 3w off the tee were the best all year. Focussing on: weight on balls of feet on setup, staying center and moving hip back subtly on the way back. Power and good ball flight were better than normal. I'll keep these thoughts.

I'm sure most would agree here, it will take a bit of time to play with these thoughts until they become automatic.

Thank you OP.

When you say "back further in the backswing", are you saying the right cheek moves AWAY from the ball in the backswing - perpendicular to the line? That's what I'm also feeling. In the video, 4-5 inches would be the kiss of death and then you'd probably come back into impact hitting it on the toes since you're so far away from the ball.

he claims: wake up golf and practice, lunch, chill, work out everyday, dinner, sleep repeat. does not take days off. Workout is all muscle groups by isolation exercise (e.g. bicep curls for biceps, tricep extensions.). cardio is walking the course in the am. he increased calories by adding in protein shakes and more food per meal. I assume he did speed trining too such as speed sticks but not confirmed.

Sorry if my question was already addressed as I haven’t had the chance to go over all comments yet. I’m guilty of everything in this video and it is such a coincidence that my YT algorithm fed this to me and i watched last night. Setting up like they suggested definitely feels weird for me as my behind is way behind the ankles. If done as suggested is the feeling like you are sitting down on a tall barstool?

Extremely interesting video and a unique explanation (or at least one that I haven’t seen before) of EE and how to fix it.

I tried this in my round on Saturday played in pouring rain with no warmup. Predictable mixed bag but some promising shots considering I took it straight from watching video to the course.

Monday I went to the range and chunked a whole bucket. Funnily enough this gave me hope because I have been so dumped under and extending early that I couldn’t take a divot. Every day this week it has improved at the range. To counter balance my butt moving more back in transition, I have to move my upper body forward and get my arms more in front of me, otherwise I fall back on my heels. This might fix my arms getting stuck too far behind my pivot β€œfor free” (without thinking about it). Pretty excited about this so far..

Hope everyone is doing well working on their EE/swing. this is another good drill I have used to feel good use of the pivot:

at 23 minutes hitting off the back foot. I tend to get onto the front side too quick and this gives a really good feel for me to rotate off the back foot. also this whole video is really good imho.

Great thread. I have struggled with this for years. Sadly, I used to have a swing thought when I was young of rotating around my right leg, which is a horrible move, probably was the start of my EE problems....this leads to what is described here, and a "flat" hip turn....

I think this video nails it.

Monte has some good videos on youtube on EE on the feel of getting it right IMO. One swing thought I have used is the right rear pants pocket goes back and then towards the target and zipper goes back.

Β 

• Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410Β  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 ironsΒ  ZX7 MKiiΒ  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX ZipcoreΒ  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Adding my anecdote to the thread. Thanks for the post OP, I love the guys at AMG but have not seen this video before. I had a scheduled tee time this past Saturday and after watching this video the previous week, I decided to think about this during a few range sessions last week. This really helped me mentally visualize my hip turn, I knew I always had a problem with hips moving to the ball on the downswing, but never really thought about it this way.

I also worked with video for the first time in a while on the range and saw some other flaws, but long story short I played the best golf I had in years on Saturday. Woohoo!

• Like 1

Brilliant video - thanks for sharing - those guys at AMG are great!

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• 6 months later...

Getting the heels on the tusch line.....not going to happen. There goes my chance of winning a major.

Β 

When I try this setup, the only way i can get balancedΒ is to bring my handsΒ Β closer to the body. I was not sure if this was just me.Β 

Β 

And then I notice howΒ how much closer John's hands are to his thigh in the after photo. I guess if the bum is out then the arms and hands get permission to also go out without losing balance.

Β 

1439141008_ScreenShot2021-02-21at8_51_52pm.png.5b5d99facd3a3ae0d7f25858e88b02b6.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 9.59.00 pm.png

Edited by Geoff_Dickson
  • Like 1

when it comes to rotation - setting up with a posture Gankas suggests with hips over heels and upper back rounded has allowed me to turn through the shot so much better than than a 'perfect' posture prescribed in magazines and experts with the butt out flat back shoulders back

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36"Β 

On 2/21/2021 at 1:58 AM, Geoff_Dickson said:

Getting the heels on the tusch line.....not going to happen. There goes my chance of winning a major.

Β 

When I try this setup, the only way i can get balancedΒ is to bring my handsΒ Β closer to the body. I was not sure if this was just me.Β 

Β 

And then I notice howΒ how much closer John's hands are to his thigh in the after photo. I guess if the bum is out then the arms and hands get permission to also go out without losing balance.

Β 

1439141008_ScreenShot2021-02-21at8_51_52pm.png.5b5d99facd3a3ae0d7f25858e88b02b6.png

I’m adding to an instructional threadΒ and I feel completely uncomfortable doingΒ it..Β 

Β 

But, did want to reply to this because I heard on a European PGA Tour telecast recently that you can never be too close to the ball at address. A tour pro said that, and we know he doesn’t mean literally, but thatΒ comment made me feel better about thinking I’m too close.Β 

On 2/21/2021 at 8:58 PM, Geoff_Dickson said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Not sure how the AMG guys measured the major champions used in their examples but from down the line videos I haven’t seen any pros with their heels on the tushline. If I literally did that I would almost fall face first into the ground.

Β 

The point they make is good though. I would rather have the heels closer to the tushline than farther away from it. It should feel as if you are about dive into a pool rather than sitting on the your heels. Your weight should be on the balls of your feet and not on the heels.

Β 

Adam Scott is probably the major winner that has his heels closest to the tushline. I love his balance at setup and try to copy it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dap said:

Not sure how the AMG guys measured the major champions used in their examples but from down the line videos I haven’t seen any pros with their heels on the tushline. If I literally did that I would almost fall face first into the ground.

Β 

The point they make is good though. I would rather have the heels closer to the tushline than farther away from it. It should feel as if you are about dive into a pool rather than sitting on the your heels. Your weight should be on the balls of your feet and not on the heels.

Β 

Adam Scott is probably the major winner that has his heels closest to the tushline. I love his balance at setup and try to copy it.

The other thing to keep in mind that AMG mentions is that those pros often pair it with much more knee bend than the average amateur, and keep their torso more upright. If you look at DJ or Adam Scott, at address they bend their knees so far forward, they are almost out to their toes.Β 

Β 

Edit: That said, I'm built a little like DJ, with short legs for my height, and a long torso and arms. I constantly struggle with getting into a good address position without feeling like I'm going to fall over. I just have to keep reminding myself to stand up straighter.Β 

Edited by Simpsonia

9 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Admittedly I have no clue what's right and wrong here. Louis O does ok, and maybe the answer is just otherworldly timing in his swing, but that HAS to be EE.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

I am by no means an expert here, but this images is post impact when people should be extending.Β  I assume that a view from behind would show that he still has some right send bend.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gators78 said:

Admittedly I have no clue what's right and wrong here. Louis O does ok, and maybe the answer is just otherworldly timing in his swing, but that HAS to be EE.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

I think you are confusing extension with early extension?Β  The body still must extend.Β  He is using the ground to extend to create more speed just before impact.Β  This thread is more about people extendingΒ too early in the transition and downswing.Β