2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Greatest video I have ever seen on Early extension

On 7/18/2020 at 9:34 PM, BrysonD400 said:

is just incredible. I watched this about 20 times and went to range and poof my EE is finally gone thinking about these same swing feels and setup adjustment. I'm still in shock tbh. I hope this lasts!

Watched this video and went and hit range balls. I highly recommend! I was sitting too far back into my heels and hitting shots more on the balls of my feet and feeling my hips over my heels was an instant help. I feel like there is room now to turn. 

On 2/23/2021 at 8:16 PM, GQ0208 said:

This was an amazing thread. Thank you all for the contributions. Wish I would have found it sooner instead of spending so much time on the Classified section thinking that was my fix. 😂

Ha! Been there, done that! 

Quick question for any and all... I rehearsed the address position at home last night after watching the video a couple times. The biggest difference for me is that forward ankle position. That's definitely a new concept.

Is it normal to feel a little strain in the shins? Is it possible I could be overdoing it? Again, haven't tried this on the course/range yet.

Thoughts?

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Works Tank Versa 2-Ball Fang
Titleist ProV1

23 hours ago, Need4spd said:

Ha! Been there, done that! 

Quick question for any and all... I rehearsed the address position at home last night after watching the video a couple times. The biggest difference for me is that forward ankle position. That's definitely a new concept.

Is it normal to feel a little strain in the shins? Is it possible I could be overdoing it? Again, haven't tried this on the course/range yet.

Thoughts?

I would have thought not.

Easiest way to do it imo (could be wrong) is stand up straight and flex the knees a little -(A possible test here is to bend your knees in slightly and you will feel pressure along the insteps of both feet mainly in centre ). You should at this point feel really comfortable and balanced  and be able to gently bounce up and down on you knees. Then bend forward slightly at the hip line/lower waist to take your address position.

Someone early said the arms are nearer the body doing this But I don't find this the case.

Edited by Nickc

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 1:49 PM, harpua728 said:

There are 2 things in my swing that I can't get rid of no matter what I try.

1) Dipping my head/upper body in the backswing, and 

2) Early extension

They may or may not be related.  Either way - NOTHING has worked for me.  I am a 7 index so I can still slap it around, but I still want to get it sorted.

For me, the AMG (accounts for 80% of the formula) + Malaska video + the Monte video shared earlier in the thread cured my EE with one range session.

Regarding the head dip, I fixed that on myself by focusing on setting my wrists sooner. Hank Kuehne talked about this as a problem he has if he doesn’t set his wrists soon enough. I always tried to have a late wrist set like my heroes growing up (ie, Greg Norman), but that caused me to reach too much and lose my spine angle.

Not a big participant in this forum as I feel like I don't know enough to contribute.  But let me just say that I have been struggling with EE for at least 10 years.  I have seen every drill and video known to man and have had lessons where it seems the pro just wants to stand something behind me and tells me to keep my butt on it ... epic fail of a drill for me.

It is almost infuriating that something as simple as the tilted shins and keeping the tush line close to the heel line could make such a big impact.  How could I not have known that this was a cause before??? I had an amazing range session with better impact than I have had in many, many years.  Took video and there were very few violated goats and my head stayed down through the swing. I actually could perform the zipper away drill now because my rear has somewhere to go.  Still a little over the top but now I can start addressing that issue (I think I am sucking the club in too much and have no choice but to come over the top). 

Thanks to the OP and others who contribute to this forum!

• Like 1

still my fav video for EE.  I have been doing a drip where i attach a thin flexible band to my belt/belt loop, around my front hip and then the other end attached to a cart or wrapped around my bag which  is directly behind me.  then i hit balls like that on a tee feeling the band stretch on the backswing and loosen through the ball.  really good to feel the front hip work correctly for me.  cheers.  Go JT!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrysonD400 said:

still my fav video for EE.  I have been doing a drip where i attach a thin flexible band to my belt/belt loop, around my front hip and then the other end attached to a cart or wrapped around my bag which  is directly behind me.  then i hit balls like that on a tee feeling the band stretch on the backswing and loosen through the ball.  really good to feel the front hip work correctly for me.  cheers.  Go JT!

Thanks so much for posting this video - in all my many frustrating years of study and lessons i had never discovered or had explained this concept but it makes so much when they show the motion of the major winners.  So glad i found this forum.

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, BrysonD400 said:

Yea I love this video too!!! The "ah ha" moment for me was watching the golfers butt against the virtual pane of glass...took this feeling to the range and I don't think I'm 100% rid of EE, it also got me to start the swing with my lower body which is something else I struggle with.  Great video.

OK this has been absolutely game changing for me.  I have tried every school of swing thought over the years...stack and tilt, online lessons, in person lessons, No turn cast etc and although it's still early, nothing has had such a positive impact on my game as the swing thought of tush against the pane of glass and the setup that this video explains.  Montes "zipper away" video is basically saying the same thing but this visual really worked for me.  I've gained 10 or more yards on every club (except driver) and I'm hitting the ball incredibly straight.  My swing still has a lot of issues but I'm concentrating on keeping and moving my right but cheek back in the backswing and keeping my left butt cheek against the glass to start the downswing.  I'm thinking someone should start a teaching method called the butt smear method and market this!!!  Great find for me.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 5:47 AM, uscheese said:

OK this has been absolutely game changing for me.  I have tried every school of swing thought over the years...stack and tilt, online lessons, in person lessons, No turn cast etc and although it's still early, nothing has had such a positive impact on my game as the swing thought of tush against the pane of glass and the setup that this video explains.  Montes "zipper away" video is basically saying the same thing but this visual really worked for me.  I've gained 10 or more yards on every club (except driver) and I'm hitting the ball incredibly straight.  My swing still has a lot of issues but I'm concentrating on keeping and moving my right but cheek back in the backswing and keeping my left butt cheek against the glass to start the downswing.  I'm thinking someone should start a teaching method called the butt smear method and market this!!!  Great find for me.

I'm thinking any marketing department worth a darn would put the kibosh on that name for a method.  Not a good optic.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone—frequent lurker, infrequent poster here.

I’m a scratch/+1 handicap who’s struggled over the past few years making “pure” contact.  Always feel like I hit it a bit thin and just miss the feeling of compressing the ball.

Took some videos of myself the other day and noticed (but always knew) that I was really losing my posture about halfway down and then flipping the club and losing all lag.

Well—after a lot of reading, I finally ended up on this thread, and watched the video.

Honestly, insanely helpful—like others, I went to the range the next day and played.  Most fun I’ve had in years.  Miraculously I was compressing iron shots like I haven’t don’t for years, it felt effortless to hit it straight.

The tips relating to standing closer to the ball, weight on balls of feet, and focusing on rotating around the center of the pelvis were like minor miracles.

Strongly recommend this to anyone else who’s struggling with EE, standing up and flipping early.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2021 at 1:30 PM, Trap Junior said:

Jimmy Ballard encourages early extension. I personally dont think its a big deal as long as its not excessive like really bad. Looking down the line is a 2D image of impact where as its really a 3D motion with side bend.  Trying to stay too much in forward bend will cause a joe soap slicer to get steeper and worse imo.  Early extending allows a shallowing that may be necessary for that player to avoid ploughing the clubhead into the ground through other faults.

Unless you’ve taken a lesson directly from Ballard, you don’t know this.  I have, plus from his mentor, Sam Byrd.  EE was never in my swing when I worked with both. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 12:07 PM, Trap Junior said:

Yes i have

Are you sure you understand what he was trying to teach?  I worked with Ballard on a daily basis for a year and observed hundreds of lessons.  The only EE I saw was when either the 7 common denominators were misunderstood or swing feels overdone.  Sorry if that happened to you.  

• 5 months later...

I just watched this video along with the Malaska video and step back drill. After focusing on moving center of pelvis back and away from ball I about whiffed my first few attempts! 
I can definitely feel more room and not early extending. My only issue and maybe others can help with not having your upper body raise up or just pull back with the hips..aka moving your head away from the wall..or what’s an acceptable amount at all?