50-54-58-62 Wedge

Anybody go with 5 wedges? 4 degree diff with pw at 46? Most course I have played on here tend to get in the short iron range after a good strike off the tee. Find that the use of 3-4 irons has diminished quite a bit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 64 can hit loads of shots my 58 can’t

I have that set-up.

I go driver, 3 wood, 18* hybrid, 22* iron, five degree gaps down to 9 iron and then 46, 50, 54, 58 62. Best decision i have ever made, i need to be precise as possible with 8 iron down, 7 iron wantin

Sounds like a good idea to me, why not have more short club options that you can use instead of long irons that collect dust. I know most people on here say get good with 3 or 4 wedges so you don't have different ideas floating around in your head but I think having those options is a good thing

I go driver, 3 wood, 18* hybrid, 22* iron, five degree gaps down to 9 iron and then 46, 50, 54, 58 62. Best decision i have ever made, i need to be precise as possible with 8 iron down, 7 iron wanting to hit side of green, 5 iron just hit the green. Most courses i play I prefer to have close gaps in the shorter irons because I hit those irons into greens more often.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black
  • Hybrid - ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Others - SUB70 939x 4 hybrid on UST V2 Hybrid and 4 699 Pro Utility on UST Recoil 110 - Testing
  • Irons - Sub 70 639CB
  • Irons - Bridgestone J40 CB
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I dabbled, but had issues on what to drop at the top of the bag as I use all of those clubs far more often than I ruin a shot with a 62* when I already have a 58*...

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

I used to go 45-50-55-60-64

now I’m 45-52-58-64

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x : Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x : Callaway Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki 82x

Callaway Apex CF16 5i AD DI 85x  :  6i - PW Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*  Vokey SM2 TVD 54*m & 59*m DG s400 Onyx

Callaway ‘19 PM Grind 64* DG s400 Onyx ~~ Piretti Matera Elite

My 64 can hit loads of shots my 58 can’t

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x : Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x : Callaway Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki 82x

Callaway Apex CF16 5i AD DI 85x  :  6i - PW Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*  Vokey SM2 TVD 54*m & 59*m DG s400 Onyx

Callaway ‘19 PM Grind 64* DG s400 Onyx ~~ Piretti Matera Elite

I use my 64 loads and am very good with it, a 58 would have to be opened 20 degrees to do the same job and that is a hugely more risky shot than a square 64. And that’s before going into the benefits of a 64* opened up. It’s a magical club and I’m pretty sure I’ll always carry one unless the ground is a quagmire.

Furthermore a 64 out of greenside UK heavy rough is a godsend, you can do a 3/4 swing when the ball is buried in tall grass and it just pops out time and again.

• Like 1

Admittedly never played in the UK but doesn’t sound like something that requires a 64. I think the difference is a shot making thing. You are either versatile with wedges or not and need a stock shot.

There’s little point in making it harder than it needs to be. Carrying a 64* saves me shots, carrying a 3W costs me shots. Whilst I never hit a 64* as a full shot as it’s way too inconsistent, inside 30y it’s brilliant, it’s art.

5 wedges? Work on your iron game. Hit more GIR.

M2 or M3 or M4 or ... M5 or SIM
Some driving iron for Links courses
Titleist or Mizzy Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2s or Pings or z745s or Callys 
A Vokey wedge or 2 or 3
I love/hate every one of my 17 putters

My PW is 46*.

I’ve been using a 50-56-62 wedge combination for a while now and love it. The 62 is an incredible weapon. It allows be to take fuller swings from shorter distances than the 60* I used previously. Higher launch and more backspin let me attack the pin more aggressively and it’s worked great.

47-51-54-58-64 is perfect for me.

Callaway Mavrik SZ Speeder 757
Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Tensei Orange
Callaway Super Hybrid 20 Tensei Orange
Callaway Epic Forged 4-7 iron
Callaway Apex MB 8-AW
Callaway PM Tour Grey 54/ 58/ 64
Evnroll ER2B

Well my statement was there was nothing a 58 couldnt do that a 62 can. You then disagree but then go on to say that very thing, that it can it just requires you to open the face. There isnt a flop shot, bunker shot, rough shot that a 58 cant make for me. The exception would maybe be the backwards flop that phil has done. But i mean come on... lol

90% of ams would be better off with 56 being their highest wedge.

For a decade or more I used the 3-wedge version of that progression. A 50-degree GW, a 54-degree SW bent to 55 and a 60-degree LW bent to 61. Same basic loft range, one less club.

It worked fine for me because I'm a short hitter. My 55 yardage then was 84 yards and 61 yardage was 70 yards. Squeezing in a 58 degree to split that 14 yards into two gaps instead of one would not have bought me much advantage. I could understand someone who hits a 55 SW 110 yards and a 61 LW 90 yards would want another club in between.

I had that exact setup with SM7s through the end of last season. But for me it was a luxury I couldn't afford. My short game is my strength. I can do just about anything with a couple of wedges. Where I needed help was at the top of my bag. I am very dicey with driver and have added a driving iron. I also moved to blades so I'm higher lofted at the top of my bag and needed to fill those gaps.

I would say if you're a player who is consistent with a few clubs at the top of the bag -- Driver, FW, Hybrid -- and you have room at the bottom, having that X wedge (62-64) is occasionally handy. I really liked my 62. But I didn't really NEED my 62.

Titleist TS3 Driver (Ventus Blue)

Titleist TS2 3W 4W 7W (Ventus Blue)

Mizuno MP-20 Blades 4i-Pw (Modus 120)
Titleist Vokey SM8 54D 58M (Modus 120)
Titleist Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 | Pro V1x

I carry 3 wedges, and am considering replacing the 60 with a gap wedge. Or, just do without and add a 2-iron to the bag. I'm a high handicapper and my woods are a disaster, but I'm nails off the tee with long irons.

And yes, I'm old school. Just not very good.

The courses that I play have tons of short par 4s and 5s. I do average 295 with the driver. Find myself in odd situations where my current 46 56 60 wedge setup doesn't work. I have even moved to a 2 iron of the tee so that i can get to use my middle irons. I generally average 10-11 GIR when sufficient time has been spent on the range but only playing a handful of rounds a year, have noticed a loss of consistency with my game. Generally average 300 balls on the range to a round of 18. Just wanted to get a sense of what others are doing. I have also moved to graphites recoil 780 f4s. That has added additional yardage to my hits. Thanks a bunch folks. Maybe simply adding a Gap wedge would take care of shot selection

I've done it in the past and my short game was never better. One thing I really liked about it was that I had the 54 with very little bounce and the 58 with more bounce. It gave me a lot of versatility around the greens for different lies. It also gave me more versatility out of bunkers because I could play the 58 with more bounce out of fluffy bunkers and the 62 with low bounce if the sand was real firm. I want to go back to 5 wedges but I'm having trouble at the top of the bag with some modern loft irons and really like the 4 iron. I may kick it out and go back to 5 wedges anyway. Good Luck!

What additional shot options are created with carrying two wedges at 58 degrees loft or above?

By opening the face of a 58/60 you can replicate a 62/64 without wasting a spot in the bag.

Head scratcher..

d: G410+ | f: M3 |  h: Epic | i: 921 Tour | w: Vokey | p: SpiderX

I have 46, 51, 56, 60. Adding the gap wedge was a great move, and went from 5 wood & 3 iron to 18 hybrid & no 3 iron to make room.

Five wedges is kinda overkill. Mixing up opening the face, ball position, and choking up, those four give me everything I need. I have a feeling that opening up the face on a 60 actually makes it easier to hit a high softy than a 62/64 with a square face because the bounce keeps it from digging.

I guess adding a higher lofted wedge could theoretically make short side situations easier, but I'd rather work on not getting into those situations in the first place, or getting better with the 60, than sacrificing a club at the top of the bag. Can't imagine getting rid of the 3 wood, the 18 hybrid, or the strong 4 iron.

• Like 1

M1 8.5 Diamana D+ 70 X
M2 Tour Kuro Kage 70 X
Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
P790 4 X100 SS
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow

I’m more than happy sticking to my assertion that there are shots with a 64* that are far easier to pull off than trying the same thing as a 58*. I have a 58* so I’m aware of what they can do when they’re opened, yet I would choose the hit a 64* rather than an open 58* every day of the week.

Moreover, I can lob my golf bag easily from 1y away with my 64*, it’d have to be a stupendous shot to do that with a 58* opened 20* more than the 30* I’d open my 64* in that situation.