Taking the players word......

And yet a large majority of them do it. So, the Tour needs to deal with it and get it sorted. And, if it's going to be a penalty on Sunday, it needs to be a penalty on Thursday. They're going to have to call a fair number of them to get the players attention that grounding the club for a better lie isn't going to be tolerated anymore.

• Like 1
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably discussed but it sure looked like Finau's ball moved in the greenside rough Friday or Saturday (can't remember which day). Here's the thing. Is it next to impossible to get your club anywhe

When someone says, "It barely moved and did not change his lie", etc., they are introducing subjectivity into the equation. At what point is, "too much"? If the ball moves AT ALL, it is no longer rest

The ball moved. Rahm claimed he didn’t see it. I have no reason to disbelieve him. Not liking a player is not sufficient reason to jump to the conclusion that he is a lier and a cheater. The correct r

I don’t understand the point from IBF about “not improving the lie”. It doesn’t have to be improved, if a guy drops a ball down his pants leg and it ends up in deep sh.., plays it and then finds his original in the first cut further up is that ok? He didn’t improve his lie or situation, but clearly broke a rule. The ball moved, he was rightly penalized, I don’t understand the hand wringing?

PS - the ball moved a tiny bit and he holed the shot. How can anyone say it didn’t affect the outcome? An 1/8 inch either way and that ball maybe/likely lips out or hits the flagstick and hops out. A few extra blades of grass between the club face maybe means the ball stops short of the hole, a few less and maybe too much speed to take the break and go in.

I think Rahm did more than set the club down lightly. He tapped it down 4 or 5 times. I don't have a problem if they change the rule and make it uniform. But for Rahm to be penalized when there were a bunch of other players do the same thing the whole Tournament doesn't seem right. Everybody should be abiding by the same set of rules and getting caught by a slow motion camera shouldn't be a determining factor. Either enforce the rules they have or change them to fit how they're actually doing it.

It helps to read the actual rules, sometimes we learn stuff. I know I do. For this particular one, you don't need the Interpretations, the Rule itself says:

"In preparing for or making a stroke, a player may take any of these actions and there is no penalty even if doing so improves the conditions affecting the stroke:

(4) Ground the club lightly right in front of or right behind the ball."

For Rahm, his club did go up and down a few times, but we can't tell from that angle whether he tamped down a significant area of rough behind the ball, or simply went up and down gently in the same place. Rules infractions that can be corrected before a stroke is made are generally a single stroke penalty. If Rahm had noticed that the ball had moved slightly, and replaced it in its original position before taking his shot, the penalty would have been one stroke.

I read the rule. In fact, if you look at my post, I posted the rule. Here is is again below and if you read it you will see that it seems to further define beyond the word “lightly” and specify that you *can improve your lie to the extent that placing the *full weight of the club head/shaft pushes down the grass.

So, to me, placing a wedge behind the ball and letting the full weight rest there would seem to be more than “grounding lightly”.

But the rule seems to say that’s totally fine, you don’t need to “hover” lightly and just barely touch the grass. Go ahead and let the full weight of the club sit behind the ball and if it improves you lie, that’s fine.

Did you know that? Here it is...

fbdaf98e-34bf-4cd1-90f4-b5e82e8303ba.jpeg

I guess to me it goes to how a person tries to find answers. My personal habit is to look at Definitions first, then at the Rules, then at the Interpretations, and last at the Clarifications. Each is a separate portion of the Rules as a whole. Most times I can find the answer I need either in the Definitions or in the Rules, without taking additional steps. I prefer to identify where I find my answer so others can find the same thing easily. I've learned this method largely from much more knowledgeable folks than myself in this and other golf forums. So the answer to your question is YES, the Interpretations are a part of the Rules, but the simplest answer is most easily found in the basic rules, without going the additional step to the Interpretations.

Exactly. Call it a “clarification” or whatever you like but

It amounts to a massive and seemingly unknown loophole in the age old adage and universal principle of the game,

“play it as it lies”

How many of us have, for decades, walked on egg shells around a ball in the rough, being so gentle so as to not disturb those blades of grass too much, lest we incur the wrath of the golf gods.

Meanwhile, you can just plop your wedge down behind the ball. And improve your lie.

And it’s legal!!!

I feel like grounding the club behind the ball is going to make a worse lie as often as it may potentially improve it. I played in some long rough last weekend and I was making sure not to ground the club because each time I did the ball wanted to nestle down even further. I don't think it creates this huge advantage that so many people assume it does.

The exact way I was taught---- And in this instance camera angle is everything. The camera had a worm's eye view so to speak with high definition. Jon is what 6 feet tall and at a different angle than the camera was and I will concur he never saw the ball move. But yeah Robin you nailed it If I even think the ball will move I will hover the club like in a hazard

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic