Good brands for athletic build? Shorts and shirts

I am getting back into the game and need to update my wardrobe; I went to the local golf shop and everything was pretty boxy and oversized. I am 5 foot 9, 170lbs, 10% body fat, so not crazy fit but definitely more of an athlete's build. For dress shirts I typically wear Eton slim fit which fit me like a glove in 14.5. Pants size is 29-31 depending on the brand.

Any brands you can recommend? I just don't want to look like I borrowed my grandpa's clothes out there! I also don't want something that is too "golfy" as I want to be able to wear it in business casual situations. Thanks so much!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m approximately your build. I’m really liking the Lululemon Evolution Polo (Size M) and the Commission Short.

TaylorMade R9 SuperTri - House Of Forged
TaylorMade RBZ 3W - GD AD/DI 6S
TaylorMade Burner Rescue - Aldila NV
TaylorMade R9 TP 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 120
Titleist Vokey TVD 54/58 - Project X
Bettinardi BB34 Tour DASS - RJB4102

I recently went with Bonobos for my Golf Pants/Shorts (highland tours) and couldn't be happier. They have multiple fits and are made with quality. Can also be used off the course as well!

DRIVER - TITLEIST TSi3 9* 

FAIRWAY WOODS - TITLEIST TSi3 13.5* &  TSi3 16.5*

HYBRIDS - PXG 0317 X GEN2 19*

IRONS - TITLEIST T300 [5i-6i] / T200 [7i-GW] Combo

WEDGES - TITLEIST VOKEY SM8  54.10S and 58.08M/58.12D

PUTTER - L.A.B. GOLF - DIRECTED FORCE 2.1

BALL - TITLEIST Pro V1x / Maxfli Tour X

PXG 0317 X

Find whatever you like and have it tailored if it doesn't fit perfectly....that's what tailors are for! I have had upwards of 50 shirts and 20 slacks tailored recently as most companies don't produce something that will fit you perfectly and especially if you are an athletic build wearing U.S. spec clothes. Now that being said a lot of European manufacturers make clothes that are much more slender through the mid section than U.S. spec. Find a tailor, and if in doubt, buy a bigger size and have it tailored if you like the shirt or pants.

I hadn't thought of that! I hear you: European brands are much better for guys like me. I can wear ETON slim fit dress shirts off the rack in 14.5 and they fit like a glove. Some American brands are good too for nicer clothes: Ralph Lauren Collection suits in a 38 require almost no tailoring. Yet when I walk into a golf store, they don't even carry a small, much less a small that actually doesn't look like a tent on someone who is a trim 170lbs. I know they make well-fitting clothes: look at all of the tour players wearing shirts and pants that don't look like they were borrowed from Grandpa.

I ordered some stuff from Lululemon and J Lindeberg. I just got an order in from RLX (slim/athletic fit) and can confirm that their stuff fits GREAT! I will let you know on the others when I get them in. I have a few Lululemon workout shirts and they fit quite well.

Right on...After seeing how a shirt is tailored you could literally take a 3 XL shirt and tailor it to a size small pretty easily as it is actually a pretty simple process and I am confident that I could do it myself after learning how to use a sewing machine! I assure you that all touring pros clothes are tailored to their liking and their measurements are kept so that clothes can be quickly sent to them that fit perfectly. I lost a lot of weight over the past 3 years and thought that I was going to lose all of my XXL polos now that I am a XL and much more slender in the midsection but I had them tailored and now every shirt fits perfectly. If you like the shirt and it is offered in a bigger size then there is no reason to not pick it up and have it tailored to fit you to your liking.

RLX - brilliant bit, great materials. I used to hate wearing golf polos regularly and perhaps I am getting old by doing it but the fit and comfort wearing them is second to none for me.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

You guys who are tailoring, are you having sleeves narrowed along with the body? Many brands figure out slim in the body, then have these floppy sleeves that ruin the look. I wear a medium (or small in the main golf brands) and it's like the put XL sleeves on a M shirt. I don't need them fitted with my golf shirts, but I also don't want them flopping all over the place. These materials stretch, so they can be streamlined too.

Great suggestions everyone!

So far, I found that Lululemon fits really well (although I am almost between a small and medium there).

RLX and POLO: the custom fit shirts are probably the best I have found out of the box; very tailored for an athletic build (small)

Puma: a little baggy around the midsection, sleeves are kind of long; I found one shirt I like and will get it taken up (small)

Others tried: RLX and POLO classic fit: too baggy.

Haven't tried yet: J Lindeberg.

Shorts: bought some Polo, Adidas, and Nike in size 30: everything fits well with the Polo probably having the best overall tailoring and hip height. Ordered the PGA private label shorts from PGASS in size 30: they feel like quality shorts for the $30 I paid, but the 30 is more like a 28 with them. Usually it is the other way around. I may order a 32 and see how they are.

I hadn't thought about Target, but that is a good call!

I ended up ordering everything online: the local golf shops looked at me like I had alien antennae on when I asked for a small. They are located in wealthy areas too with plenty of fit guys running around. I suppose all of those people just order online. It is weird as there are plenty of stores that cater to the very fit women around here (you can walk into any store and find 1/3 of the inventory in size 0 and 2) but nothing for fitter guys-and stores wonder why sales are gravitating online! Just because the buyer happens to be 40 lbs overweight doesn't mean the customers are.

I definitely will do! My wife loves that brand; she buys their polos and longer golf skirts for work; she is a PT and has to be able to show patients exercises while looking polished.

Scott

I’m 6’ and 185 lbs with a 32 waist so probably similar proportions as you. I’m generally between a medium and large for most brands shirts. I tend to size down to avoid too much excess fabric around the midsection. UA and Travis Mathew work pretty well for me. I’ve tried large size shirts in RLX and some of the European slimmer brands (mediums were way too small) but didn’t find them slim enough in the midsection.

Good luck.

6', 205 lbs. 34 waist. 46 chest. To me, an "Athletic" fit is not a "Slim" fit. The slim fit is way too tight in the chest and armpits, especially for playing golf. An athletic fit is wider in the chest and then v's down to the midsection. Under Armour and Adidas work best for me. They're both still a little baggy in the mid-section, but I'd rather have that than being too tight in the chest and armpits. Koepka is a big-ish guy (for a golfer), and his Nike shirts seem to fit him properly. So is John Rahm. He wears Adidas.

Titleist TSi3 9* Diamana D+ Limited 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 9* Diamana D+ 70X
Titleist TS2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TS2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i210 5-UW Steelfiber i80 S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 56* Steelfiber i80 S
Scottie Newport M2

Nobody in the elite class goes without custom fit clothing. As a clothing designers why wouldn't you want your highest end model to have your clothes look as good as possible? A minor cost in the grand scheme.

Ping Hoofer:

ST200 10.5 Diamana D+ 60S 

ST200 3W Diamana D+ 70S

X2Hot 3H

U-45 DI 23˚

Z-745 5-PW DG S300

RTX-4 50M/56F/60L

(GP BCT 58R)

Toulon Las Vegas H7 - Lamkin Deep Etch