2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Walking on putting line

I was curious if this was still an etiquette with all the spikeless shoes around. I have had both happen and I have no problem with someone walking through my line, I'm not crazy about someone standing on my line and putting out but it has happened. It has happened so many times with people I have been paired up with, I was curious if this is still adhered to or not. I used to play with spikes so we definitely tried to step over lines when playing with friends or others but now, we (our friends) wear spikeless almost like sneakers so we still try do stop over the line but more out of habit.

We as amateurs, most of us anyway, likely aren't that affected by steps on the line. Not like there wasn't others trampling the greens, especially around the hole.

Indeed, it's good etiquette, and a gentle reminder is warranted, but most likely won't affect the putt.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

The one thing I've seen, and @rogolf mentioned it too, is that some golf shoes themselves can leave a moderate dent in the green. I have a pair of FootJoy DNA shows with the replaceable soft spikes located on "pods", and those pods will definitely make an impression on soft greens. I've seen Adidas shoes with a similar sole design.
In my view, its always good etiquette to avoid standing on someone's putting line. Its not the end of the world if you mess up. And if you do, do NOT do the panic-induced pirouette to reverse course, that twirl will leave a much worse mark than if you just keep on walking forward.

• Like 1

IMO it shows consideration if one asks for permission before stepping on anybody's line of putt. Today when ready golf is increasing situations when one needs to step like that tend to occur more often than before but personally I do not like the idea of stepping on the line of putt regardless of the shoes, accidents described by Dave may happen. Besides, the mark left by a mere sole of the shoe may be quite deep in moist conditions, especially if the person has considerable amount of weight.

Just about nobody I play with nowadays has even the aggressive Spider-type soft spikes. They're mostly in sneakers or some sort of ridged or nubbed spikeless shoes. If I see someone hesitating to tread on my line I quickly tell them to go ahead and not worry about it. And most of my regular group I know are alright with me treading on their line if I need to.

Now I'm talking about situations where we're continuous putting and it saves having to mark and replace the ball. If we're just walking around reading putts and getting ready, we all reflexively avoid needlessly stepping on someone's line. Doesn't really matter to us but it's long time habit to keep eyes open and step over rather than on someone's line.

For me it's all about the green conditions - played 2 courses this weekend outside DC. Courses were "well watered" (my high flying drives were backing up in the fairway ) plus had some heavy showers Fri eve. We teed off before 0800 each day and the greens were definitely soft enough where you could see your footsteps - esp until ~10 am. Once the sun got blazing they firmed up.

Contrast that with, for example, St Andrews -I was there in the warm summer of 2018 (yes, extreme example) - you could jump & up down on my line and it would make little difference . In any event, I never get bent out of shape about it...figure there's just as much chance the footprint could deflect me in, as opposed to out ...haha

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

I'm still a "spiked" guy on all of my shoes; tried the spikeless/nubbies and just felt unstable. I'm very aware of other lines, and careful to walk around. I still have the old school habit of walking around the green on the fringe to get to my ball, not walking on the green until I'm ready to putt. I also grew up as a caddie, as well as a junior golf member at the club I caddied at, and had etiquette drummed into me every single day.

I had a 30 foot putt yesterday and a friend walked in my line (unintentionally) about 15 feet in front of me. No problem here. But, if I had a 5 foot putt and he stepped in my line 3" from the hole I probably would have.

Putts beginning to slowing down at the hole have a better chance of being knocked off line by a foot impression that from long distance.

I'm not remotely suggesting you would be like this but there's one grumpy older guy in our group who, before he even steps up to roll the putt, you can see him looking around for who to blame if he misses. We try not to laugh in his face but if he badly misses an 8-footer he'll turn around an glare at somebody in the foursome, even though we've been standing there stock still. He's kind of the running joke in the group, apparently can't putt if there's another person within 100 yards.

The funny thing is, he's a great putter. As good as anyone I play with. Just can't accept that it's his fault if when hits a bad one and has to blame somebody. I know one thing, I never step anywear near his line or his "through line", heaven forbid!

... Dave Pelz did a demonstration where he had a putting machine hit 10 putts from 6 feet and all of them went in. He then stepped on the line, although it seemed to be pretty heavy heeled step right on the line and Dave is a big boy so that figures in the equation but the putting machine missed 6 of 10 putts. He waited 10 minutes and repeated and the machine made 10 of 10 again. It was an eye opener for me but I think how soft the greens are and how big the person is has a lot to do with whether or not your put will be knocked off line. Since I am a die in the hole putter it can be pretty important. That said, I played last winter in Phoenix and most of those desert courses would not be affected by Aaron Donald stepping on the line. Back here in the Chicago burbs greens can get pretty soft and even a small person can dent the green.

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I don't know where Pelz did his tests, but on a bent green in the hot part of the summer, when they need to water a couple times a day to keep things green, I can see a person making a real dent. I do know what you mean, though, I'll be in Pinehurst next weekend, and I know how firm things will be on the Champion Bermuda there.

On the rare occasions I've played on bent grass greens (in USA, not the ones in UK) it's mostly been public courses and usually in warm climates. During the summer they have to water the heck out of them just to keep them alive and they get so squishy-soft I feel like I'm walking on eggshells trying not to do any damage. People like putting on them but I actually don't enjoy it. I'm a pretty heavy load myself and on those greens I really do leave indentations behind everywhere I walk.

I cannot remember either but that is hardly the point here. As Pelz's test proves it is POSSIBLE that such an undulation causes a ball to deflect, especially in the end of the path at low speed. So as it is possible it would be nice if people tried to avoid stepping on other player's lines of putt especially on softer greens (not to mention that this has been a part of the Etiquette of Golf for decades...). Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, chisag said:

... Dave Pelz did a demonstration where he had a putting machine hit 10 putts from 6 feet and all of them went in. He then stepped on the line, although it seemed to be pretty heavy heeled step right on the line and Dave is a big boy so that figures in the equation but the putting machine missed 6 of 10 putts. He waited 10 minutes and repeated and the machine made 10 of 10 again. It was an eye opener for me but I think how soft the greens are and how big the person is has a lot to do with whether or not your put will be knocked off line. Since I am a die in the hole putter it can be pretty important. That said, I played last winter in Phoenix and most of those desert courses would not be affected by Aaron Donald stepping on the line. Back here in the Chicago burbs greens can get pretty soft and even a small person can dent the green.

this seems like a definitive example that illustrates the answer.  Don’t step in someone’s line.   

• Like 1

I usually judge it based on intent.  "Most" of the guys I play with would never intentionally do something the cause a person to miss a putt.  It's pretty easy to see if someone just didn't see your mark or has that "I own the course" attitude.  I have several times over the years asked those guys to be aware of where they are walking and usually get the eye roll.