What do you do when you get hole-in-one

Curious to see how other folks react after hole-in-one.

Do you usually treat the folks you played together for a big meal or something else?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First I need to GET a hole-in-one!

Around here the guy that gets the hole in one buys drinks. And I have to believe it's one of the dumbest "traditions" on the face of the earth. If I get a hole in one everyone else in the bar should b

Took pictures and Bought drinks for the group I was with. No way am I gonna run a tab for the whole club house.

Act like a 12 year old ... and guzzle martinis

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x : Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x : Callaway Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki 82x

Callaway Apex CF16 5i AD DI 85x  :  6i - PW Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*  Vokey SM2 TVD 54*m & 59*m DG s400 Onyx

Callaway ‘19 PM Grind 64* DG s400 Onyx ~~ Piretti Matera Elite

Depends on the situation. My first was while a twosome with my adult son. Since I paid for everything golf-related he owned including the round I didn’t do anything.

The others came in league play where we have HIO insurance for the drinks and I got $100.

I always thought it was an odd custom for the person getting the HIO to be the one treating others. I think it should be reversed.

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G400 5-SW Steelfiber i95

Ping Glide LW

Scotty Cameron Fastback or

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

If you get one at my club, you let the pro shop know. Then anyone that shows up inside the bar for the rest of the day gets a drink on the house. On next month's bill, each member is charged $3 so we all share in the expense.

If the balance from your HiO fund isn't used up by people getting their free drink by the end of that day, you get the rest in pro shop credit. I heard a story that one guy got a HiO very late in the day, went in and got drinks for his group. But hardly anyone else was in the bar that evening. He ended up with over $600 in pro shop credit.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

I got one earlier this year. The club opened a bar tab for $150 and everyone including me got 1free drink. One of the guys I was playing with wanted to stay for another drink and since it was my turn to buy, I had to buy a round. Even the bartender couldn't believe I was paying for drinks. Also the bar tab was only open while I was there and since it was a quiet Sunday, it only cost the club $90.

Quit golf.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Act cool, like it happens all the time. Then pass out.

At my home club, we have insurance, so everyone in the bar (or on the deck in covid times) gets a drink. Last one I had I was playing an interclub match at a club near my house, where tradition has it that the home team buys all drinks normally. But those guys drink at a neighboring tavern (cuz they're cheap), so I drive home, and my wife drove me back to the local tavern. We bought drinks (she did, actually) for about the first hour. Then I went home and passed out.

Took a while to believe what i saw... posed for a photo (see avatar)... then bought the group a drink when the carts came around and another once the round was finished.

Note: I thought I might be exempt from buying drinks and tried avoid doing more than that (because it was a short Par 4)

at a minimum buy drinks for your group - if there's people in the clubhouse/19th hole; i'd say a round but no more.

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

I have never had one. One of my regular playing partners has had two. He is a really cheap person. We eat after our rounds. I have said dinner is on you. He laughs. Then I say ok how about a beer? He replies that I should be buying him dinner or a drink..

Being cheap or not I do agree with him. Why should the person that gets a hole in one buy others a drink? Shouldn't everyone or at least the players in your group be treating you?

In my opinion it should be changed so you only have to buy drinks for the players in your group.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

You must buy the drinks to keep that luck forever. Cheap skates will be cursed. I formulated this opinion while receiving said drinks, also realizing the unlikely scenario I would be the purchaser

Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

First hole-in-one, I bought drinks for my group. Thank goodness, no one announced my hole-in-one in the nineteenth hole because it was packed!

Second hole-in-one, I had recently joined an upscale country club (350-golfing members) and we were each charged $10 for hole-in-one insurance. That was a blessing because everyone got one free drink the rest of the afternoon and evening! That would have easily been a 4-figure bar tab. That was $10 well spent.

Had 1 hole-in-one and did nothing, and do nothing making birdies and hole-outs, which are rather common.

Not too long ago on a nearby green a guy made a long-putt then proceeded to ran around the green in circles. Best act like you do it all the time... otherwise, person be Duffus or dummass frickinious idiotus, - latin.

As a member of a private club each member usually pays into a Hole-in-one fund through dues. So, when he gets a hole-in-one, the round is covered.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i95cw
  • Titleist 620 CB&MB - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5; SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC California Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

Tradition is very important in this game and you must buy a drink for everyone in the bar. You are fortunate if you have insurance at your club.

But I got extra lucky this year. I made a hole in one while traveling to Colorado during the pandemic. The extra luck was multi-layered. First, the clubhouse was closed including the bar and patio. So I asked and they could deliver us drinks outside as long as we were socially distanced and did not sit. Ok. I was playing with my son and a couple of gentlemen. One had to leave immediately for a long drive home. The other did not drink alchohol but decided to join us on the patio. Three beers and a couple of sodas; less than $30 including tip. Priceless.