2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What do you do when you get hole-in-one

Guest Eddie1114

Each time it's been kind of weird watching the ball go into the hole. I kinda watched and felt like WTF? My playing partners got excited, but I really didn't. My club has hole in one insurance, so one round is on the house for everyone in the stag room the rest of the day.

I've never had a playing partner get one. I'd really like to experience that.

• 3 weeks later...

Having made my first hole in one just two weeks ago while on vacation, I happily bought all the people in the bar a drink. I was in celebrating mood. I text my 12 year old daughter the good news and her response was simple "only took you 20 years dad" Kids can be so cruel.

Never been a part of a hole in one. Hopefully that time comes! If/when it does, I hope to be able to see it from the tee so we can go nuts on the tee. And then it'll be a fun time in the clubhouse for sure.

Titleist 917 D2 PX Evenflow Blue 

Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3-wood

Ping Anser 4 hybrid

OG AP2's PX 5.5

SM5 52 08 F

SM7 56 08 M

SM7 60 08 M

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Unfortunately, I have no idea!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine at TPC Scottsdale while playing golf with and entertaining business clients. The owner of the company I was working for at the time told me to go with the tradition of buying everyone in the bar a drink and to put it on my expense account. My hole-in-one ended up costing my company over $700 just for the drinks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On my first one, I happened to have a bottle of crown and a few cigars in the bag. My buddy and I lit a cigar and took shots as we walked to the green. 

on my second one, it was me and my uncle. I bought him a couple of beers, and he bought me a couple on the next round. 

this notion of open tab for anyone, let alone a bar full of drunks, is just stupid. The people in my group will get 1 drink on me, and even that won’t be anything outrageous. You’re not getting $200 glass of scotch off me. Call me cheap, call me what you will, but I’m not trying to go broke playing golf. Anyone that thinks they’re getting an open tab will be in for a surprise when they find out they’re on the hook for it instead. 

• Like 3

On 9/21/2020 at 5:11 PM, COmedic said:

First hole in one this year! Gladly treated my playing partners to lunch and a few beers. Got called cheap because they expected an open tab for the rest of the day. Thankfully I had to pick up my little girl:)

I would call them greedy, but that's just me.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

When I jarred a 6 iron playing late afternoon on my second 18 of a long day I was with three of my fellow staff members from a neighboring course where we worked in the Colorado Rockies. When we got it the restaurant and bar had closed for the day. 

So the next day I set it up with the restaurant manager at our home track that all the pro shop staff, player assistant staff and cart staff could get a celebratory drink on me. Fortunately the restaurant manager kept them away from the very expensive drinks and cut me a deal.

I ordered a plaque with the picture of my lucky hole from the course and got a bag tag from Titleist for using a Pro V1 .

Great memory-looking at the plaque right now in my Arizona home office.

• Like 1

Had my first earlier during a twilight round back in June. Happened to just show up at my home course to play a few holes and saw a few guys I'm friendly with teeing off on the back 9 so I jumped in with them. My HIO landed in the middle of the green with spin and came down the slope all the way to the hole. It probably rolled about 15-ish yards once it was on the ground, so I think my only reaction was really "Did that really just go in?". 2 of the guys I was playing with were still in their cart and didn't even see it happen. 

I bought them a round of drinks, but since it was getting close to dark and on a weekday nothing more than a beer each. I guess I got off lucky lol 

• 2 months later...

Save the ball! In my excitement I teed off with the same ball, and nearly lost in the woods! 

take pictures 

buy drinks

Tell head pro at course

-He helped me by giving me insight into the fact that I should call equipment companies to make them aware of my accomplishment

-taylormade(ball I played), titleist(glove I wore), mizuno(clubs I played) 

Each of those companies sent me some sort of certificate, and free stuff

My local course was sold and the buyers held a Scramble tournament to honor the outgoing owner/golf pro. I was playing with my youngest daughters (10 and 12 years old) and we were paired randomly with one of the guys from the Men's Club. We were on #9 with 3 holes left from the shotgun start. We were telling my youngest daughter that she needed to get at least 2 more drives in the last 3 holes to meet the tee shot quota so it was important that she hit near the green. She hit the green and so I almost didn't even tee off, but last second decided I might as well for practice. 155 yard 8 iron tracked the flag the whole time and it looked like rolled right past the pin and off the back. The girls drove up first and started dancing around on the green while other partner and I walked up. Great experience having my kids there.

The bad part was our Mens Club president and his group were on #1 tee next to the green and saw everything. First thing he says is "Too bad this wasn't a Men's Club event, you could have just made $500 bucks". I've often called our Men's Club a "Drinking club with a golfing problem" and so I knew it would be an expensive afternoon. I just said "TO THE BAR!" and the foursome on #1 tee, followed me in there, leaving their stuff at the tee box. I told the girl behind the counter, and the new pro "I hit a hole in one, use all my book money for every one who comes in to get a drink and I will pay the difference the next time I come to the course."  

My girls had no idea about the HIO rules and they were like "Are you crazy?" "Mom is going kill you!".

As stated we only had 2 holes left after nine, but were playing behind a group of super slow old guys. While we waited on #10 tee, I could hear the mens club pres yelling to everyone he saw "Ryan's buying drinks, he hit a hole in one". The course was clearing out as everyone finished their holes while we waited for the old guys to clear out #10 and #11 (par 5 and par 3). Group after group driving by me, getting in the clubhouse, coming out on the back porch drink in hand yelling "Cheers Ryan!". By the time I got back in (2 holes in 25 minutes) the beer fridge was nearly empty and they were stocking from the auxiliary cooler. The entire field was out on the clubhouse back patio drinking on my dime. Lots of high fives and congrats, but I was cringing inside. I told everyone I was going in to clear the tab as it looked like everyone had helped themselves and they started booing. So I just said "Fine, go ahead, but you have to go home eventually." and we left because we had to get to a wedding that evening.

I went in the next day to deal with the aftermath. It turns out we won the tournament (thanks to the HIO), and so the clubhouse put all of the winnings on my book (including my daughters) and the outstanding bill was $50. I'm guessing it came out to about $550-$600. My daughters found out we won and demanded that I restock their book money for candy and pop in the clubhouse.

TLDR - I paid for an entire tournament fields' drinks.

I got my first hole in one a few years ago while playing by myself.  After realizing that the ball was in the hole, I was overcome with excitement and euphoria and then laid down on the green and rolled around.  After making an a** out of myself, after my round, I went to the clubhouse and bought everyone there a drink.

I'm curious, anyone here ever hit a hole in one when hitting a second ball?  Do you count that as a hole in one?  In my mind, no way should you as the shot really didn't happen as it wasn't counted on your scorecard.  In any event, I'm just wondering because I think about that sometimes when hitting a 2nd ball for practice.

18 minutes ago, theorangeman said:

I'm curious, anyone here ever hit a hole in one when hitting a second ball?  Do you count that as a hole in one?  In my mind, no way should you as the shot really didn't happen as it wasn't counted on your scorecard.  In any event, I'm just wondering because I think about that sometimes when hitting a 2nd ball for practice.

funny that you should bring up the second ball...  I have a bit of a funny story about this situation.

We were playing our home course the morning after a couples tournament where they had installed a second cup on the greens - a big cup - and they were still out on the course when we played (we were playing the standard cups)...  this hole also had a temporary tee box at the time, slightly ahead of the normal tee box...  My buddy hit a decent tee shot on the green, but wanted to try my club instead of his for a second shot... Of course he hits this second ball, from the temporary tee box, using my club, into a second hole cut on the green...  We did not treat it as a hole in one, but it sure is quite a memory!

As far as what we did afterwards...  we basically just looked at each other, shrugged and chuckled, and went onto hole 17...

20180916_104350.jpg

Edited by MattTerfehr