GPS, Watch, or Rangefinder for Junior Use?

My son (9) gets lazy and will just eyeball his yardage...no good. We have a rangefinder, but admittedly its a little hard to lock in, especially for him, and I can see why he doesnt like to use it. I am thinking of trying a simple GPS watch. Efficiency is also important - he plays fast, but fiddling around with the rangefinder when he does use it adds noticeable time to his routine. I am thinking a quick glance at the watch would be quicker. One downside I can think of is that I dont think GPS watches have actual pin (?) - which isnt that big of a deal....unless he has a short wedge he should be going for middle of green anyway.

Anyone have any luck getting their kids to use a GPS Watch or device? Model Reccomendations?

My kids (11 and 8) each have the Bushnell Phantom. Both say they can’t keep their hands steady enough to use a rangefinder. My son never uses his because I’m with him whenever he plays. My daughter uses hers only during tournaments since she can use the Bushnell GPS app that is included with the Phantom when she’s playing with friends. It gives more detailed course information and allows you to measure shot distances

We have a Bushnell Hybrid. Best of both worlds. Rangefinder and GPS unit on the side.

Why is it hard to lock in? All of them anymore have a vibration when it locks on?

The one thing that we have started using is Greens Books. Helps you with where to land the ball on the green to always give you uphill putts.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

The S20 might be a good option. Relatively easy to use and he would be able to grow into the more advanced features (hazards/move flag/measure shots). Really easy to see distances at a glance and not cost-prohibitive.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

My son has a really old GolfBuddy GPS thing he used to use early on. It's so old it literally only gives you front / middle / back but works great. For $20 on ebay it was a purchase I knew would help and I wouldn't worry about him losing it. He now uses a Bushnell rangefinder almost exclusively.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Have a few laser finders. We have a garmin, and 2 bushells including the hybrid bushnell.

I don't like the hybrid bushnell because it basically a phantom gps unit built in and the battery always seems to be dead for the GPS part. If you don't mind charging it all the time there is nothing wrong with it.

I ended up recently buying The new bushnell V5. It has a red light when you lock on the flag and even more important it sticks to the golf cart so easy access when practicing.

The garmin is very good for practice rounds since it gives you the layout and distances to all the hazards. Biggest issue with the garmin is it is crazy expensive and the battery can go dead on it after a few rounds.

If you are looking for one Item for a junior buy a laser finder it's more accurate and you will use it a lot more then you think. GPS units are great but I view them as more supplemental and there pretty cheap you can buy them for around $100.

For a young junior golf buddy works great just push a button and it gives the yards. These are great for young kids as there extra simple.

I bought laser finder first then I found Shot scope V3. gps watch is way superior for me though this one was twice the cost. There is more cheap range finder then golf watches these days?

You wont get exact distance to pin as there is no way gps can know that have to extrapolate where the flag appear to be but tbh for someone that just shoots for the green trying to get close to the flag it seldom matters. When in an angle where it´s hard to spot where the flag is on the green the range finder comes in play. But then you are rarely so far away the chance you are going to hole it is slim. Also use my range finder for lay up shots when there is no point going to far so there is occasions where it does things the watch can´t. My watch do give distance to all hazards though so it do overall great.

But main issue I have with the rangefinder is that it promotes slow play. It takes time bring it up and get an accurate read often take several attempts even with AI for pin detection. It´s not always working on mine anyway. A bit dependent on visibility don´t do well in fog or rain.

GPS can sometime mess up also though very rarely. If I would forego one absolutely rangefinder. It just get used way to little even though sometimes it does feel invaluable.

100% Disagree. Rangefinders speed up play if anything. If you have a hard time getting an accurate read, you don't have a good rangefinder. Go to an AJGA event!! Every single uses a rangefinder and pace of play is fine.

Both of mine have busnell v4 with jolt. Daughter used to have the nikon 20 without volt and she had to get three reads. With the volt its a lot faster.

The one thing I will mention is she gets really tired (still a newer player). At the end of rounds I see the range finder in the netting of the cart just waiting to bounce out.

I reminded her sunday. I never say negative after a tournament. If that range finder is missing I want my 300 dollars back.

It literally takes less than 10 seconds to shoot a flag location. There has been chatter on Pro tours about letting them use a rangefinder to save time. If they don't have the rangefinder they will walk to the nearest sprinkler head to find the yardage and then walk back. How is that saving time. They will then spend more time looking in their yardage books if they are carrying them. Like I said, every kid in an AJGA event is using a Rangefinder. Just about every kid in every tournament is using a rangefinder because they save time.

Maybe because you don't play tournament golf at the level these kids do? If they are using a GPS device, more than likely it is going to be used to supplement the rangefinder. Many of the kids are also going to have a Greens book in their pocket. A GPS device really is just giving them more information. They will have the flags premarked in the greens book. They will shoot the flag to get a distance, then they determine where they want to land the ball on the green looking at the greens book all while deciding what type of shot they want to hit. All of this takes less than their 45 seconds of allotted time. Rounds in most cases are from 4 to 4 1/2 hours walking. Monday my sons group was the first off. They finished the front 9 in 1 and a half hours with my kid being -2 and the other two well above par. They made the turn and had tow wait 45 minutes for the Hole 10 starters to finish teeing off. So tell me again how using a rangefinder takes more time? We aren't talking about Weekend hackers struggling to break 90. We are talking about highly skilled kids that rarely have to chase their ball from outside of the fairways.

Yes of course. I wouldnt want to play on the tour because of slow play due to use of rangefinders and other constant measurements before taking the shot. I am an amateur that would like 18 holes take no more then 4 hours. Rarely the case though.

Also as an amateur the accuracy of GPS tend to be good enough most times.

• 4 weeks later...

My father and I each just bought the V5 Tour, and it so-far-so-good. 

It's everything I needed for my kids--waterproof, easy to use, easy on batteries, built well, comes with a protective case.

I also considered buying a Leopold because they make quality glass that won't fog up, but at the end of the day the V5 just seemed like a no-brainer for something I'm going to use quite a bit over the next few years.  Hopefully when the kids are old enough to self-caddy, these things hold up for a few seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

My father and I each just bought the V5 Tour, and it so-far-so-good. 

It's everything I needed for my kids--waterproof, easy to use, easy on batteries, built well, comes with a protective case.

I also considered buying a Leopold because they make quality glass that won't fog up, but at the end of the day the V5 just seemed like a no-brainer for something I'm going to use quite a bit over the next few years.  Hopefully when the kids are old enough to self-caddy, these things hold up for a few seasons.

The Bushnell is amazing. We use the V4 shift and used to have the V3 before that. Only upgraded because someone stole the V3 out of my sons cart at a junior event. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

12 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

That is nuts.

9 YO Boy,  friend of my son had his Driver stolen at Worlds this year.  Pinehurst Clubhouse.  Was putting on the green after his practice round on the eve of R1, came back - Gone.  Probably another kid.  

Edited by hangontight
  • Sad 4