Current closest to Titleist 735.cm?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I gave up. Hit everything I could think of. The only thing I liked well enough was the T100 but when you match loft for loft (735 6i to T100 7i) I was only getting a couple more yards. Not enough f

I used to play the 735s too. Nobody really makes a dedicated split set like the 735s anymore. You'd have to combo them yourself(see my signature). MP 20 MMC into MP 20 is one method, Titleist 620 CB(t

The 735 were a great set of irons, massively underrated. I would say give the T100 a go. Superb iron popped into a brilliant looking package from address.

I used to play the 735s too. Nobody really makes a dedicated split set like the 735s anymore. You'd have to combo them yourself(see my signature). MP 20 MMC into MP 20 is one method, Titleist 620 CB(tungsten in the 3 & 4 irons) into 620 MB is another, you could probably get there with Srixon as well.

Otherwise some of the dedicated sets have carried on a simlar idea where they have tungsten or hollow heads in the long/mid irons to help launch and forgiveness and just a regular forged iron in the short irons. This would be stuff like Titleist T100, Taylormade P760, Wilson FG Tour V6, Callaway Apex Pro 19, etc. Your PXG 0311Ts compete in this category as well but nothing really progressive about them compared to the other irons in this category. They pretty much carry a singular concept throughout the set.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5* Diamana D+ LTD 60 TX
Titleist TS3 Fairway 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 TX
Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3 Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX
Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5 KBS Tour C-Taper X
Mizuno MP 18 SC 6-9 KBS Tour C-Taper X
Mizuno T20 Raw 46*, 51*, 56* & 61* KBS Tour C-Taper X
SeeMore Nashville z3c Black Mallet
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Also forgot to add Ben Hogan is selling split sets of the PTX Pro and Icon irons currently.

For future Bridgestone is coming out with a line of 200MB, 201CB and 202CBP that looks like it can be comboed like the J33 and J36 line ups of yesteryear. I personally have my eye on these as probably the closest to the 735s in a long time.https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1841167/new-bridgestone-irons-200mb-201cb-202cbp

Bridgestone Tour B XS

The 735 were a great set of irons, massively underrated. I would say give the T100 a go. Superb iron popped into a brilliant looking package from address.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

I just started playing a set of stainless 735s last year. I change off between them and my longtime MacGregor MT Pro CM gunmetals. The MacGregors have a narrower sole and a bit less offset at appearance. The 7 iron is where the blades begin. I really like both sets and wouldn’t pick one over the other.

The black Cobra CB set Fowler was using and that’s mentioned in an earlier post is very similar looking to the MacGregors. Really nice. I have never hit them, but just based on the design, I bet they are solid. That would be the first set I would look at if I was in the market.

• Like 1

TaylorMade r5 Dual TP 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 83 R
TaylorMade R7 TP 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 80 S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 19* w/ Fujikura Motore F3 80 HB S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 22* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana H S
Titleist 735 CM 4 - PW with UST ProForce 115 RV2 Gold Tour R 
MacGregor MT Pro Gunmetal DW design 54* and 58* w/ DG S300
MacGregor Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings w/ BeCu insert

As soon as Golfworks is accepting regroove orders I'll complete a rebuild of a set of stainless 735s. I have already weight sorted the heads, shafts, ferrules and grips. They beat out everything from Titleist in a long-term test earlier this year. I'd find a low mileage set and rechrome the heads and put them on your shafts.

• Like 1

Driver Titleist 913 10.5 Diamana Whiteboard 63 stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913 16..25 Diamana Whiteboard 73 stiff

7 Wood Titleist 913 21 Diamana Whiteboard 83 stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 716 T-MB KBS C-Taper Lite stiff

Gap wedge Titleist SM6 50 Dynamic Gold 115

Sand wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 54 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Lob wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 58 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Putter Scotty Cameron Red X3

Might want to hold off for a couple months for a price drop. The replacements for the 85 series will be out soon(usually fall) and the 85s will go on clearance.https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1836048/srixon-2020-irons-zx7-zx5-zx-utility/p1

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Let me ask this. I took the 735 6i out with me along with the PXGs and instantly was straighter again. They have the Rifle Flighted 5.5 FCM shafts in them. What's a modern day equivalent of that? It just feels different than the Elevate Tour Stiff, but I'm not smart enough to tell you how it feels different.

So I retired my 2006 735s 4 months ago and went through a similar ordeal trying to find the right set. IMO, the 735s could only have been better if they included the 7 iron in the blades. So I did the dance looked at MB/CBs, tried to do the Srixon math, and even looked at the guy on Ebay that puts the black nitrade finish on them (those do look tight). In the end I found some closeout 718 AP2s and called it a day. I am glad I found the AP2s as they are a tad more forgiving, came with my DGs, and just ended the search that made me crazy trying to replace them. The struggle is real. Good luck!

• Like 1

Cobra F9 9* Evenflow White 6.0, F9 Tour Fairway 13.5* Evenflow White 6.0 

Adams Idea Pro Gold 18* 2H Matrix Ozik Altus 

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P DG AMT S300, Vokey SM7 50/8*, 54/10*, 58/10*, S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1

I have to agree...I still have my set of 735 CMs just can’t part with them even though I haven’t played them in a long time. These were one of the most under rated set of irons Titliest has ever made! If I were to replace them now I’d go with a combo set of Titliest CB & 620 MB.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*) Tensei Red R
  • Irons -  Callaway Rogue Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ES 460 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R one wrap RH 

Not a lot of flighted shafts out there anymore. The True Temper AMT Tour White is flighted but also has lower mass as you move up the bag which is a step further than just being flighted. That in an S300 might be a good fit and is a stock option for most companies. A more expensive flighted option if you are interested in graphite would be the Steelfiber i115FC. FC standing for flight control basically being the flighted approach of old.

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour B XS

So I gave up. Hit everything I could think of. The only thing I liked well enough was the T100 but when you match loft for loft (735 6i to T100 7i) I was only getting a couple more yards. Not enough for me to give up. So I regripped with some Tour Velvet and put back in the bag.

Also got my RMA to return the PXGs. Just couldn’t replace the 735 feel.

At least I bought a couple new SM7s to play with since my old ones were about 10 years old.

• Like 2