Project X Smoke RDX Shaft

osubuckeyes691

On 7/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, slicktry said:

I know Hexcel has provided carbon fiber material to other manufacturers, but this is the first time I can remember their Hextow material specifically being named. Similar to Hzrdus T1100 using Toray fiber.

God Bless

Jer

I wok in aerospace. Hexcel is a company. Tow is just a spool of long fibers (as opposed to fabric sheets). Trying to sell Hex-tow is just marketing.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

1 hour ago, getair23 said:

They are from 2 different planets. RDX felt loose to me and dispersion was all over the place. Not my cup of tea. It’s also not shiny and green. 

RDX in the 60g 6.5 (non TX) flex felt very smooth and linear 

Almost like an Atmos Black with a bit more smoothness to it 

Hit this in the 6.0 60g during my TSi2 fitting.  I got VERY similar numbers to the Tensei Raw White 65.  I went with the Tensei as it felt a touch smoother and seemed to have tighter dispersion especially on the mis hits, although, not by much.  RDX is a very good shaft for my 104 SS.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

17 hours ago, getair23 said:

They are from 2 different planets. RDX felt loose to me and dispersion was all over the place. Not my cup of tea. It’s also not shiny and green. 

A lot of people complained about dispersion on the Hulk shafts until they realized they needed to be tipped an inch. Were both shafts tipped in your case?

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

2 minutes ago, ProjectX said:

A lot of people complained about dispersion on the Hulk shafts until they realized they needed to be tipped an inch. Were both shafts tipped in your case?

I doubt the RDX was tipped, Hulk is tipped 1/2".  My last fitting was outdoors and a little chilly.  I was around 113 mph.  I rarely get above 115mph for reference.  I know pretty wimpy around here.  I really like the Hulk.  Only thing that has been close to is the KBS driver shaft(love this shaft, numbers weren't too different for the additional investment) and Tensei Raw White.  

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

With this above video comparing RDX to Ventus, I wonder if there are two different models like TX (small batch) vs stock oem just like Ventus vs Ventus velocore. The above video is testing the TX version which is likely a totally different shaft than oem.

Titleist Tsr2 9* / TPT Power 16Hi
Titleist Tsr3 15* / Ventus OG blue 7s

Callaway UW 21* / Fujikura motore VC 8s 
Srixon ZX-7 Mii 4-PW / C taper r 110
Titleist SM9 raw 50.54.58 LZ 5.5
Titleist ProV1
Putter of the day

2 hours ago, geauxWRX said:

With this above video comparing RDX to Ventus, I wonder if there are two different models like TX (small batch) vs stock oem just like Ventus vs Ventus velocore. The above video is testing the TX version which is likely a totally different shaft than oem.

Thats the thing.

With @Fujikura Golf...the shaft you buy on the rack is the same shaft the pros play and the 'technology' in the shaft. There is no guessing as to what you're buying or what was skimped on. (Besides the OEM made-for non-velocore Ventus which I hate Fujikura for agreeing to, but 100% understand why they did it financially).

With ProjectX and Mitsubishi...the shaft you buy is a complete crapshoot as to where it's made, what tech is in it compared to the 'tour' or 'TX' models, small batch and 'made-for' models and etc.

I'll stick with Fuji. Plus Fuji shafts dont feel like hollow graphite fishing rods, like HZRDUS models do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

On 11/30/2020 at 1:25 PM, ProjectX said:

The hulk has had great dispersion for me. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

44 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Thats the thing.

With @Fujikura Golf...the shaft you buy on the rack is the same shaft the pros play and the 'technology' in the shaft. There is no guessing as to what you're buying or what was skimped on. (Besides the OEM made-for non-velocore Ventus which I hate Fujikura for agreeing to, but 100% understand why they did it financially).

With ProjectX and Mitsubishi...the shaft you buy is a complete crapshoot as to where it's made, what tech is in it compared to the 'tour' or 'TX' models, small batch and 'made-for' models and etc.

I'll stick with Fuji. Plus Fuji shafts dont feel like hollow graphite fishing rods, like HZRDUS models do.

To be fair. The "small batch" shafts are the exact same models as the regular shafts. The only difference being paint. Now the TX models may be a different deal. I know the Haz green 6.5 x flex and haz green TX flex are almost completely different shafts. But if you are just comparing a X stiff RDX black and a small batch RDx black also in X stiff. They are the exact... same... shaft... The only difference at that point being, location of production, volume, status, and paint. Materials, build process, EI profile, etc all being the same. 

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 hours ago, geauxWRX said:

The shaft in the video is the Small Batch RDX Blue, which is not available yet.  If TM or Callaway offer this option in their 2021 lines, it definitely won't be that shaft.  This is a premium shaft that will take extreme will power not to blindly purchase for my 5w when available.  

Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway PM Grind 64*

Pro V1

I also resemble that comment.  Smoke Green has been great for me as well.  

Edited by getair23

Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway PM Grind 64*

Pro V1

Just now, getair23 said:

The shaft in the video is the Small Batch RDX Blue, which is not available yet.  If TM or Callaway offer this option in their 2021 lines, it definitely won't be that shaft.  This is a premium shaft that will take extreme will power not to blindly purchase for my 5w when available.  

The RDX blue will be a stock option in the new cobra RAD driver. It will not be the TX version. but other than that it is the same shaft.. I just dont know yet what difference there is yet to the TX vs X models yet. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, QuigleyDU said:

The RDX blue will be a stock option in the new cobra RAD driver. It will not be the TX version. but other than that it is the same shaft.. I just dont know yet what difference there is yet to the TX vs X models yet. 

Cobra's shaft game has always been strong.  Good news there, thank you.  I'm only in for the shiny one.

• Like 1

Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway PM Grind 64*

Pro V1

1 minute ago, getair23 said:

Cobra's shaft game has always been strong.  Good news there, thank you.  I'm only in for the shiny one.

Hey,, who does not like shiny!!??

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I completely understand what you guys are saying about the tx being different. I have the 70tx rdx black in the bag. Been a t1100 and a hulk 70tx guy since they came out. To

me this is the best feeling px shaft to date. I was a little concerned about the stated soft butt section of this shaft. A white board profile to me is loose and have typically preferred a stiffer handle. 

That being said the rdx black doesn’t feel loose to me at all. I think the softer handle is relative and definitely stiffer than its Mitsubishi counterpart. I haven’t been on a monitor to check

numbers, but to my eye it’s a Flatter flight than either the hulk and the t1100. 

I will also add that this shaft takes easy swings and full out swings and consistently feels like it loads the same with each. 

l don’t know if I will stick to it as long as my hulk because it’s early and season is almost over, but for now it’s in the bag over the hulk, t1100, and my auto flex 505 xx. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade m6 8.0  t1100 85 6.5
Taylormade m5 15   T1100 95 6.5
Pxg gen 2 x 3 iron 
Miura MC 501 raw 4-w Nippon spb x
Miura 51 55 59 wedges s400 
Slighter custom Tacoma

On 11/29/2020 at 7:44 PM, Fairways_and_Greens said:

I wok in aerospace. Hexcel is a company. Tow is just a spool of long fibers (as opposed to fabric sheets). Trying to sell Hex-tow is just marketing.

Interesting.. What would the benefit be other than marketing then? 

EDIT*** Thanks a lot for pointing out a rabbit hole that I just had to jump into.... 

https://www.hexcel.com/Products/Carbon-Fiber/HexTow-Continuous-Carbon-Fiber

https://www.hexcel.com/user_area/content_media/raw/HM54_HexTow_DataSheet.pdf

https://www.hexcel.com/user_area/content_media/raw/HexcelCSRDXSep20v5.pdf

Edited by QuigleyDU

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

Interesting.. What would the benefit be other than marketing then? 

EDIT*** Thanks a lot for pointing out a rabbit hole that I just had to jump into.... 

https://www.hexcel.com/Products/Carbon-Fiber/HexTow-Continuous-Carbon-Fiber

https://www.hexcel.com/user_area/content_media/raw/HM54_HexTow_DataSheet.pdf

https://www.hexcel.com/user_area/content_media/raw/HexcelCSRDXSep20v5.pdf

I guess it would be like GDI putting 'TOCRAY FIBERS' on their shafts?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

5 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I guess it would be like GDI putting 'TOCRAY FIBERS' on their shafts?

sure or T1100 or whatever else. They are just stating the material used. For the most part it has little meaning as we do not have the context to understand the nomenclature. 

Edited by QuigleyDU

BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 hours ago, 400yards+ said:

I completely understand what you guys are saying about the tx being different. I have the 70tx rdx black in the bag. Been a t1100 and a hulk 70tx guy since they came out. To

me this is the best feeling px shaft to date. I was a little concerned about the stated soft butt section of this shaft. A white board profile to me is loose and have typically preferred a stiffer handle. 

That being said the rdx black doesn’t feel loose to me at all. I think the softer handle is relative and definitely stiffer than its Mitsubishi counterpart. I haven’t been on a monitor to check

numbers, but to my eye it’s a Flatter flight than either the hulk and the t1100. 

I will also add that this shaft takes easy swings and full out swings and consistently feels like it loads the same with each. 

l don’t know if I will stick to it as long as my hulk because it’s early and season is almost over, but for now it’s in the bag over the hulk, t1100, and my auto flex 505 xx. 

Great post. I could easily be confusing what feels lose vs. actual feel. I tend to gravitate towards shafts that “feel” like they have less action to them. I love the feel of the OG satin, not shiny, PX 6.5’s in my old Mizuno irons, but KBS tour has beat them and everything else for a while now.   If I went strictly on data I would curtail so much golf spending and would dearly miss all my internet friends. 

• Haha 1

Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway PM Grind 64*

Pro V1

3 hours ago, 400yards+ said:

Just ordered 70 TX myself to test in the new 425 before making any decisions against the trusted Atmos Black that continues in my bag year after year.

58 minutes ago, ILove2Golf123 said:

Is the RDX shaft Titleist is offering stock the real deal or is like Taylormade's Ventus Blue where there's no VeloCore. I guess in this case it would be no Hexcel.  

The pattern with the HZRDUS shafts has been that the non-TX flex version of the shafts is the "standard" no upcharge version and the TX flex is the "tour" profile with an upcharge. Whether or not the fancy materials are being saved only for the TX flex version I cannot say, but True Temper seems to have been deliberately vague from a spec/marketing standpoint there since the website specs for the HZRDUS Green shafts look fairly similar even though the TX version is a completely different profile. 

This is a bit different than the whole Velocore business however since the premium Ventus existed first in all standard flexes, followed by the stripped down cheaper "non-Velocore" version being made for TM. The HZRDUS shafts however have always been consistent between OEM and aftermarket with the beefed up TX versions only sneaking in as an additional "premium" option. Not a terribly dissimilar concept, just presented and marketed differently. 

Bottom line, if you bring a lot of speed and usually play X-flex shafts, you should probably check out the TX versions of the RDX. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1 hour ago, ILove2Golf123 said:

Is the RDX shaft Titleist is offering stock the real deal or is like Taylormade's Ventus Blue where there's no VeloCore. I guess in this case it would be no Hexcel.  

I have a stock 6.5 RDX in my TSi3. The “Hexcel” symbol is on the shaft. Oddly enough I was fit into this shaft with a fairly low swing speed (103-105 ish). I get up to 110 if I hammer on it, and that’s where I get better results. I guess that’s what I’m doing from now on 🤷‍♂️

Odd though that the shaft on the Titleist website has the weight at 64 grams. True Temper’s website has it at 59 grams?