2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Project X Smoke RDX Shaft

osubuckeyes691

On 1/10/2021 at 3:35 AM, JimmyD said:

Anyone compared the RDX Blue Smoke vs. The Ventus Blue w/Velcore?  Curious of differences, feel, distance, etc.

I am testing these two in G425 Max both in 60g Stiff. RDX was new with G425, was playing Ventus in G410. First, the Ventus performs really well for me. I increased fairway % hit by 10% since I’ve had it. Whatever it is, works for me. In the new head, vs. Ventus, the RDX Blue has a much more pronounced kick, presumably from the very soft mid. If you like that feel, you will love the RDX. The RDX does feel a bit softer overall, the Ventus more stable. I very rarely overcook the Ventus (especially when I am playing vs. bashing drivers on the range) and I can get certain swings to go too far left with the RDX. Ventus is on average about 2-4 yards longer according to swing speed radar. I also tested against CK Orange and XTortion Copper but RDX and Ventus clearly better than those for me.

I could easily play the RDX, and consider it an improvement over the Orange and the Copper, but I already have the Ventus, and it performs just a bit better for me. With Ping, RDX is $80 upcharge, Ventus is $230 (appx) so that might be worth thinking about if you’re ordering. 

I also think the RDX would be great in 3W, hitting the center of a Sim Ti and feeling that kick could be addictive. May try this direction if these driver results hold up after a few more sessions / rounds. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, MrShield said:

Anyone else that normally doesn’t play X-stiff been fit into Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5?

My 103mph swing with smooth transition is very surprised 😊

I'm right at 100mph swing speed, a bit aggressive at the top, and was very surprisingly fit into the Hzrdus Smoke Green and Black RDX 6.5.  Both weren't too difficult to handle and didn't feel like a 6.5 in my opinion.  I leaned towards the Green as it felt slightly better overall, but the Black gave me slightly better numbers.  There was only 3 yds difference in carry, so I went with feel.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

Not trying to bash anyone, it’s your money.  But I see a pattern of nearly everyone “hitting x-flex or 6.5”.  Not just in these shafts, in nearly every driver shaft on these forums. Is this an ego thing?  I swing around 108, pretty aggressive transition too.  Been fitted numerous times at very reputable places.  I consider myself in no mans land, meaning sometimes I’m an X, other shafts I’m a S.  For what it’s worth I was fitted for Tsi 2, rdx black S.  Just seems like a lot of guys on here want to hit the X or the TX and will talk themselves into it.  Fitter wants to sell, that’s how they get paid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRuss said:

Not trying to bash anyone, it’s your money.  But I see a pattern of nearly everyone “hitting x-flex or 6.5”.  Not just in these shafts, in nearly every driver shaft on these forums. Is this an ego thing?  I swing around 108, pretty aggressive transition too.  Been fitted numerous times at very reputable places.  I consider myself in no mans land, meaning sometimes I’m an X, other shafts I’m a S.  For what it’s worth I was fitted for Tsi 2, rdx black S.  Just seems like a lot of guys on here want to hit the X or the TX and will talk themselves into it.  Fitter wants to sell, that’s how they get paid.  

that is a fair point.  There is no set industry standard for shaft flex and some companies have products that play far more stiff in one model than another plus everyone has their own swing idiosyncrasies.  I also think a lot of people that post on here obsessing about shafts tend to be higher speed players.  People who swing slower tend to be less concerned with the nuances of different shafts in their driver in my experience.  I personally have never been fitted into a S shaft going back to the beginning of the whole fitting thing 20+ years ago.   I tend to spin softer shafts, even some x, way too much personally all the way through the bag and miss left.  I don't know how old you are but back in the 90s we just guessed on this stuff and did it off of distance and flight.  I played a DGx100U in my driver when I was 15 so perhaps my swing just developed around a stiff and heavy profile?  FWIW my SS is about 114 avg and my transition is fairly smooth.  I get fitted into heavier x and usually tipped shafts in woods and 130g x in irons.  

• Like 1

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

59 minutes ago, JRL2 said:

I got fitted for a RDX Black 6.0, 95 mph swing speed, fast transition, for a SIM2.  Taylormade shaft, so not sure if it is tipped.  Feel is fantastic.  Will play with it for the first time today, will report back later.

Do let us know how it turns out on the course.  I'm probably closer to your swingspeed on average throughout a round, so I am a little concerned with 6.5 wearing me down later in the round.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

2 hours ago, bjp1 said:

Do let us know how it turns out on the course.  I'm probably closer to your swingspeed on average throughout a round, so I am a little concerned with 6.5 wearing me down later in the round.

I would not want to swing a PX 6.5 flex under at least sustained 110mph+ swing throughout the round.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Most of you guys here are missing the point - we’re not saying you should use an X flex with 100-103mph, we’re specifically talking about Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5 that really plays soft to flex. 

With my 103mph I normally never consider X, and with OG Hzrdus Black 6.0 was too stiff for me. With Smoke Black 6.0 was perfect, but with Smoke Black RDX they have moved even softer and now 6.5 feels more like the OG 5.5 or Smoke Black 6.0. 

4 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I would not want to swing a PX 6.5 flex under at least sustained 110mph+ swing throughout the round.

Agree with OG Black for example, but specifically Smoke Black RDX is a totally different animal. Plays way softer than any other PX I have tried. 

I used my 8 degree SIM2 with RDX Black 6.0 on the course for the first round yesterday.  Absolutely the best driver combination I have ever had.  Hit some bombs and hit almost every fairway, sorry should have kept more exact data, but was never in trouble all day off the tee.  I swing at about 95 mph, and with this shaft I could swing normal and get a slight fade, or go after it hard and produce a slight draw, seems like a very solid performer for me so far.  The feel is fantastic.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 7:07 AM, JRuss said:

I prefer the “boardier” feel the X gives me.  I hit it plenty long enough that giving up 5-10 yards for feel and accuracy is worth it.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

6 hours ago, Mookie91 said:

I prefer the “boardier” feel the X gives me.  I hit it plenty long enough that giving up 5-10 yards for feel and accuracy is worth it.

I have always done much better with the 2x4 feel over anything that lets you feel the load. The shaft is a timing device first, flight control second, and people would do far better to look at weight before they even considered flex. Flex is arbitrary between companies - weight is weight.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I refuse to believe the guys giving up yards for “feel” of an X, couldn’t find a similar feel in more of a S shaft that would allow you to retain the 5-10 yards.  There’s hundreds/thousands of them out there.

I wouldn’t consider myself an expert, but I do have quite a bit of golf knowledge.  

Weight can be achieved a number of different ways.  I assume you’re talking about swingweight, because that’s the only thing that makes sense.  Adjustments in grip weight, shaft weight, and club head weight can all give you the feeling you’re looking for while swinging.  You can achieve these swingweight “wants” with nearly any shaft you please...

and I already know if you change head weights it can adjust the shaft characteristics, but I personally believe that’s unlikely to feel for amateurs such as us.  (I’ve been anywhere from a +1 to a -4 HC the last 15 years)

On 3/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, B_of_H said:

that is a fair point.  There is no set industry standard for shaft flex and some companies have products that play far more stiff in one model than another plus everyone has their own swing idiosyncrasies.  I also think a lot of people that post on here obsessing about shafts tend to be higher speed players.  People who swing slower tend to be less concerned with the nuances of different shafts in their driver in my experience.  I personally have never been fitted into a S shaft going back to the beginning of the whole fitting thing 20+ years ago.   I tend to spin softer shafts, even some x, way too much personally all the way through the bag and miss left.  I don't know how old you are but back in the 90s we just guessed on this stuff and did it off of distance and flight.  I played a DGx100U in my driver when I was 15 so perhaps my swing just developed around a stiff and heavy profile?  FWIW my SS is about 114 avg and my transition is fairly smooth.  I get fitted into heavier x and usually tipped shafts in woods and 130g x in irons.  

At 114 club head speed I wouldn’t ever think you’d be fitted into an S.  You’re totally in the X category, no matter slow or quick transition.  I get fitted into both.  I just don’t believe people who swing 98 and want a X flex can’t find similar “feeling” with the Stiff shaft models that fit their swing.  There’s something out there that will work and give them optimum launch and spin, and it’s not an X LOL.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:49 PM, Mookie91 said:

If you find the fairways great, there’s something to be said for that!

but I would imagine you could find a similar feel in an S shaft and get those 5-10 back.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JRuss said:

If you find the fairways great, there’s something to be said for that!

but I would imagine you could find a similar feel in an S shaft and get those 5-10 back.  

Quite possible 

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

On 3/24/2021 at 1:03 PM, Redbird said:

Can someone measure the distance from the lower graphics to the top of their adapter?  I'm trying to figure out if the shaft I just picked up is tipped at all.  

Stock TSi3 with Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5

IMG_0100.jpg

• Like 1

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I just played the Smoke Black RDX 90 hybrid in a 6.5 flex in a U500 for the first time today and man does that thing ever feel stable. My last 2-iron had a PX 7.0 steel in it, so that’s saying something. Great flight and awesome for the stingers.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I think I've managed to almost eliminate my big left miss with this shaft/head combination.

I have a TSi3 with 60X RDX Black. When I was fitted, I think I made it pretty clear how much I hated the left - big big left - miss. With my prior driver, a TS2 with EvenFlow White 60X, I could go so far left that... well, there are no polite words to describe that. But I also hit that thing insanely long on a good day. It put me in places I had not seen since my early 20's.

The TSi3/RDX set up isn't as long as the TS2/EvenFlow White right now, but I don't need to try to keep it straight. It's awesome. I played 12 holes today and had drives of 305m, 281m, 274m, 286m, 275m, and 293m. I missed two fairways because it went too straight!

I still have the TS2 for the days when my body isn't moving so well, but... the RDX is fantastic 😄

Edited by steventoo
I can't type words good

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

I've played 2 rounds this year so far, both on courses I have never seen before.  I put together a tour issue SiM 8* head turned down to 6.5* with an RDX Black TX tipped 1". I love this thing. Long, flat bombs and one of the most accurate driving combinations I've ever hit. Cant wait to get out on a familiar course to see where it puts me.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm anxiously awaiting my SIM2, ordered with the RDX Black 80 at 44.25". I requested 1" tipping for the head weight adjustment at that length plus some of the general feedback on the Black in general.

We'll see how the comparison goes, but the RDX has to beat out my Atmos Black to stay in the driver. If the Atmos wins I will probably use the RDX to build a strong 3 wood. 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Tsi3, Black RDX 6.0. 102 SS. 

You will have to pry this club from my dead body. 

Titleist TSi3 10* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist TSi2 15* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist TSi2 Hybrid 18* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist U510 21* HZRDUS Black Smoke
Titleist 718 AP1 5-GW i95 Steelfiber
Titleist SM7 52.8F - Jet Black
Titleist SM9 56.10S - Jet Black
2013 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 (Black Mist) - 34"
2021 Titleist ProV1

10 minutes ago, Gary Gutful said:

Do these come in 7.0? 

There is a TX version of the Blue and Black, so... maybe? It's not explicitly stated.

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

• 2 weeks later...

My swing just seem to be more adjusted for CB designs of shafts, recently the Tensei Orange and the Smoke Yellow have been favorites. Yesterday when deciding on new 3w the RDX Blue was a clear winner compared to Motore F1 in the Cobra Big Tour. The Rdx Blue allowed me to deliver club head at a higher speed effortless, 3mph higher clubhead speed.

Best description of the 70g 6.5 would of be smooth kicking but yet stable.

Taylormade M1 '17 9,5° UST Elements Platinum Prototype PT6F5
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 15,5° Rdx Blue 70 6.5
Ping G410 Crossover 20° Tensei Blue 80 TX
Wilson Staff V6 Irons 4-PW True Temper X100 AMT
Mizuno T5 52° & 56° True Temper Gold S300 --> Taylormade MG3 52° & 58° S200 TI
Nike Method Core 01W

My Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0 will be hitting the classifieds in the next week or so. Moving to a AV Raw White 65. The shaft profile just fits me so much more. Got fitted into the HZRDUS with the Sim2 a few months ago and fit me in the simulator, granted I was extremely warmed up, but the HZRDUS beat me up pretty good during the round. SS 110-113. It's been cold up in the northeast, but the feel of the shaft is not something I'm patient enough to wait until warm weather to keep in my bag. 

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

I got fit for a Titleist TSi2 by a Titleist rep with RDX 60 6.0.  My wife got me a fitting certificate to a big known custom fitting shop.  So I took it there to see what they say.  I was fit for some accra shaft.  Guy was pissed I didn't want to buy it on the spot.  I found it used on eBay for a good deal.  Needless to say that Accra was nowhere near as good as the RDX on the course.  

I do have an ADDI that I have love/hate relationship with.