BEST "off the tee 3/4 wood - 2015 or newer!

5hort5tuff

A 3 wood was the first club I ever hit properly so I went looking for a good one when the old set went west. Originally I had a Wilson Staff "Fybrid" which was a good club so I thought maybe the WS 3 wood might be good. Turned out brilliant off the deck and off the tee so that's my recommendation - Wilson Staff 3 wood. I think the D7 is the current model. Classic comment from a scottish caddie I once had - "Ee Lad, ye hit ye 3 wood better than ye driver".

2017 Taylormade M2 Tour 3HL for me. It’s pretty low spinning and the ball just comes off super hot. It isn’t the most forgiving club out there though, so keep that in mind.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9 Diamana WS 70 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH/Taylormade Spider Tour Red/Odyssey #7CH Milled

Ten years ago this would have been a discussion about thrivers.  ?

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing, a tee only club that takes 25 yards off my driver, and is deadly accurate.  I'm currently trying a 16 degree driver/ thriver.  The misses are much better for me than with any fairway wood sized head.  This begs the question, why mess with a low MOI fairway wood head for this mission when you can get a high MOI 460cc head?   The catch is, there are very few such heads.   I'm using an old Integra component (SoooLong 450R).  I'd love to find a modern high MOI 460cc 16 degree head.  (But not the SLDR.) 

Now if you prefer something you'll hit off a low tee height, that's different.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Callaway big bertha mini 1.5, you can get a 14 degree and loft it up to 15 or 16. For just off the tee it's the best I've used.

Titleist TSR3 9 Tensei 1K 70
Titleist TSR3 3w HZRDUS Blue 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

that's why wishon 919THI heads are helpful, you can get them up to 15.5 loft (hand picked lofts/face angle important)...and bend them for lie and loft.

I used a 13* / 0 face angle club built to 42.75" with a lot of headweight added.

Like you, I found for tee shot only, a 460 cc head was better than a 185 cc head (TEE EX9 Long in my case 13*), especially for an after work league (less time to warm up).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 8/22/2020 at 7:26 AM, Stout1 said:

Curious on your distances on 16.5 and 22. I have the 3HL tour issue and thinking of dumping my 3 wood and hybrid for this same setup. The 16.5 HL is without question the best fairway I have played in 20 years. Can bomb off tee and confident from fairway. Have a tour ad gp in it 42.5” and 240-250 yard carries are regular with high baby draw ball flight. Would be removing TS3 15 and 818h 19 from my setup.

I play my 3hl any from 240-250 plus depending on rollout and the 5hl is my 220 club in the air. Can draw it for a little more if needed and cut if for a little less...I also play my 3hl around 42 and 5hl around 41"

Sim Max is long and straight 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I went through 17 3 woods a few years ago. I found 2 I loved. Just picture 17 fairway wood length boxes in a condo storage closet. Wife was STOOOOOOKED. 

Anyways.....this will get me laughed off this post, but a member here who shall remain nameless (unless he should so choose to reveal himself) found me at my lowest point and asked for my address. Nothing more, nothing less. 5 days later a box showed up with a Ping G20 4 Wood with a Diamana Whiteboard 80x. It breathed life into my soul and it was a faithful friend for a very long time. 

In a fit of stupidity, and likely due to a post here, I tried to cut it down to see if I could play a slightly shorter driver and fairway and find even more consistency....what I found was a ridiculously light swing weight and bend point shot to heck. I have a new Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5 coming just to try and revive this club. 

The 2nd tale is no better than the first. Titleist 915 FD 13.5 with Aldila Tour Green 75x. This was perhaps the best single club I've ever owned in terms of performance. It was point and shoot. it was long, I could get it airborne from the short stuff. It was beautiful. And then one day at the range I took a swing, and the shaft snapped right above the hosel. Ball flew long and straight...head followed closely behind.  Had to pause traffic at the range to go rescue my precious......sent it back to Titleist and they did their best to replace it exactly as I had it, but the magic was gone. 

As soon as the Smoke shaft is installed, the G20 is going back in my bag. It's forgiving, long, can flight it down, can hit it high, it feels insanely good. And you can probably get one for like $5 at goodwill. Just know that those 17 boxes are no longer in my storage closet, and it's all thanks to the kindness of one brave Canadian soul I met here on WRX. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Its a year older than your 2015 limit, but I've been through several 3 woods in the past couple of years and keep going back to my Ping G30. It works for me and I hope I don't ever crack the head.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

8 minutes ago, Doyouevenblade said:

Another vote for the TM 3 HL, any iteration. 

I have the M3 and if is plenty long off the tee and still enough loft to get the job done off the deck if need be.  

Man, I have an M6 3HL and it honestly is the worst feeling club I've ever hit. I got it off the bay, but it was new, and I unwrapped it myself from a reputable seller. It just feels so clicky and seems like it goes nowhere. I'd heard such good things. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Sim Max 15* gets my vote. I tried to love the Sim Max Ti which has a slightly better sound at impact IMO, but the closed face requires me lofting down to sit square at address. At 13* though it doesn't get high enough in the air, and goes nearly as far as my driver.

I chose the Sim Max after considerable testing against G410 LST, Mavrik Sub Zero, Mavrik, Epic Flash, and Speedzone. Only one that was close to me was the G410. 

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5* @ 8.5*, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X

Taylormade Sim Ti 3W, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19*, LAGP Trono 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 4-5, MMT 105TX

Callaway Apex CB 6-11, MMT 105TX

Callaway JAWS Raw 54S/60X, MMT 105TX

Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS w/ Superstroke Tour 2.0

Chome Soft X

The M5 (like the SIM Ti) has been a great feeling, consistent fairway for me.  260 on heel mishits and 280 on well struck shots.  I hit a high, tight draw with my Accra combo.  Can also get it off the deck when needed.  The titanium face priced out a lot of interest initially, but can now be had for much less.  Another benefit is that you won't be cracking the face anytime soon.  I've been through the Ping, TEE, Cobra, Cally and Titleist offerings recently, but the only replacement I'd consider is the SIM Ti now.

TSR4 9*(A2), Diamana PD 60TX 45.5 (testing) Smoke 💎💎💎9*

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Mizuno RB X or Callaway Tour X

On 8/4/2020 at 2:37 PM, SnapHooker_605 said:

I'd say don't sleep on the Cobra F8. Absolutely fantastic off the turf or teed up. Instead of a "tingy" sound, it is more of a solid "thwack." It sounded strange at first but I absolutely love this thing now! I used to be scared to hit a 3 wood off the tee because I was more likely to miss the fairway than just hitting a driver, but I use it very frequently off the box now and haven't looked back.

Edit: I did also order it 1/2" shorter, this has also helped tremendously.

THIS....the F8 3/4 wood can be turned all the way down and still launch plenty high (Driver SS ~100). It's great off the tee and feels like a rocket, and have more than once, hit it within 5 yds of my driver! The bonus is that it is EXCELLENT out of the turf because of the baffler tech (which doesn't come into play off the tee unless you really make a bad swing, but having that in the back of your mind and that safety net really helps)...I've never been able to game a 3 wood, but these things are legit, plug you can tune it to your preferred loft. Sound and Feel are unmatched and it is not a hook machine at all. 

The baffler tech is truly an innovative and impactful technology. That's why even F7' fairways are still $150 super used...they are hard to find because they rock!

Bonus points for the F6-F8 hybrids as well. I just picked up a 3/4, and a 4/5 (both tuned to the lowest loft) and these things are AMAZING. I've never really liked hybrids, but honestly, these things are strait, sound amazing and stop on a dime. I have hit more than one 175+ yd 5 hybrid and had it stop within 8-12 Inches...INCHES! This is not hyperbole...I've had more than one 195+ 3 hybrid that has stopped within 2-3 ft....on VERY hard and fast greens....they are stopping faster than some 9 irons I hit! I added them to my bag and I can tell you that overnight my game has leveled up. The ONLY issue, is occasionally I'll get a bomb that flies 10 yds further than normal...but it's a small price to pay....I was playing a club championship over the weekend, and had just come off a 3 putt double bogey (from within 8 ft) and was approaching the "signature" water hole on the course. Over water, to a small green, that plays into the wind (which had just picked up to about 15 MPH) and always plays a club long. They had our tee's way back (a good 15 yds from normal) near the championship tees. 178 yds to the pin (which was back right), I pulled my 3 hybrid which on perfect contact should fly 195, and put a nice smooth sweet swing on it and that shot was a thing of beauty....pierced the wind in a medium-high trajectory, held it's line (with kirkland sig, balls) baby fade. Ball lands pin high, and SPUN BACK 3 ft (granted, it is a sloping green, but a 3 hybrid rolling BACKWORD?!) ....it was the best shot I have ever hit in competition. I even made the birdie putt.... The baffler tech on those is also for real out of the rough....full confident from any lie..

anyway, good luck sir!

• Like 1

I've been a TM guy before. But the TS2 16.5 easily beat my SIM an M4 3-wood I played before. The M4 is hot, but consistency of the TS2 is incredible.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 60 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Cobra LTDx 19° - KBS PGI 85 S

Irons: MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F), SM9 (54.14F, 58.08M) - KBS Tour S (50), TT Dynamic Gold S300 (54, 58)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Flow Neck - KBS CT Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I recently swapped out my R11s 3 wood, for a Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero. 

Man, what a difference. I had zero confidence with the R11s off the deck, the Callaway EF SZ has no problems there. Off the tee, fairway, first cut, slight rough, the thing has been an absolute laser for me. It's shortly become one of my most trusted clubs in my bag.

I bought the Callaway EF SZ on a whim, from CPO, and it's been a real winner. I'm sure I would've been happy with any of the modern solutions, whether it be from Ping, Taylormade, Titleist, etc. Lot's of great options today. 

Edited by kthomas

For me the 4 wood is always good.  A bit older than OP asked but I think the G25 4 wood is hard to beat.  More recently I had an M4 3 HL and that was also very easy to hit.

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

I play a G400 and upgraded the shaft from a Tour 80 to a Pro Orange 80. The shaft made a an incredible difference. Liked it with the Tour shaft and love it with the PO.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

22 hours ago, Skhacker said:

SLDR Mini is $$$ off the tee.

I don't know how I missed this club when I used to own a SLDR driver. Is the Mini specifically a tee club? Or was it also marketed as being a fairway wood?

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5* @ 8.5*, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X

Taylormade Sim Ti 3W, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19*, LAGP Trono 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 4-5, MMT 105TX

Callaway Apex CB 6-11, MMT 105TX

Callaway JAWS Raw 54S/60X, MMT 105TX

Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS w/ Superstroke Tour 2.0

Chome Soft X

3 hours ago, evolvingwildes said:

I don't know how I missed this club when I used to own a SLDR driver. Is the Mini specifically a tee club? Or was it also marketed as being a fairway wood?

It takes some serious speed and a pretty strong downward angle of attack to get it airborne, although there were a handful of lofts offered. For most it was a tee club only. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evolvingwildes said:

I have the 16 degree which is also real easy to launch from the turf too.  I could see the lower lofts being a bit of work to be consistent off the turf though.

• Like 1

G400 and G410

there is a 400 stretch 3w

the Cally 3 deeps are insanely long, x2hot and original

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9