Cobra Speedzone Driver

RainShadow

Who’s demo’d or playing it and what are impressions?

search function sucks.....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I had the Speedzone Extreme and really wanted to love it. Never did.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I have a 9* Speedzone and it is great; I love the feel of it and I actually love the sound. It is currently my backup, though, because my SIM 8* is just special. The Speedzone feels more solid, but the SIM matches my swing better.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

• 4 weeks later...

Just added a Speedzone 9 degree, Hzrdus Smoke this week, I'll report back once I've had a proper assessment. Launch angle, ball flight were hugely different to my Ping G400 however the acid test will be the on course performance which starts today @ 1500 hours.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

5 hours ago, thecraw said:

Just added a Speedzone 9 degree, Hzrdus Smoke this week, I'll report back once I've had a proper assessment. Launch angle, ball flight were hugely different to my Ping G400 however the acid test will be the on course performance which starts today @ 1500 hours.

Good luck and play well! 

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I picked up the Speedzone pars and stripes edition mainly because it looks badass, real deal Ventus blue and I always hit cobra stuff well. Struggled to hit well is an understatement lol. First time on the course I’ve never missed so far right and I stopped hitting it out of fear of killing someone two fairways over. Definitely a swing issue but it’s in my head now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a 9° tour length edition (not sure if it's really an "edition" ) with a hzrdus yellow 6.5. 

I play it at 10°d with the 16g weight in the front (6g in back) and it's hard not to hit straight. Even when I swap the weights the flight is similar but I feel like I squeek out just a bit more with it how it is. 

It's not the longest driver of all time, still behind the Sim I had previously,  but I'll  take in play over a ball 300yrds OB.

6 hours ago, Kmac said:

I picked up the Speedzone pars and stripes edition mainly because it looks badass, real deal Ventus blue and I always hit cobra stuff well. Struggled to hit well is an understatement lol. First time on the course I’ve never missed so far right and I stopped hitting it out of fear of killing someone two fairways over. Definitely a swing issue but it’s in my head now. 

What flex and weight on the ventus? I know a guy who can help you with your mental issues by making the club disappear.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

9 hours ago, Kmac said:

9 hours ago, Kmac said:

I had the same issue. It took me awhile to get used to squaring it. I still may go back to my SIM though. 

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

52 minutes ago, StarFleetGolfer said:

I had the same issue. It took me awhile to get used to squaring it. I still may go back to my SIM though. 

It’s probably the worst honeymoon phase ever for any driver for me. Usually it’s amazing and then gets worse over time. Like marriage. I’m leaning towards going back to the PXG. It’s just such a nice looking driver and sweet shaft that I really want it to work. 

Ive had my. 9.0 speedzone a couple months now. When I got it I played it with heavy weight forward and I loved it. But I started notice less distance and sometimes it looked like the ball would knuckle on me and I was losing distance. So I swapped heavy weight to the back and Im back to hitting it deep with a such a solid feel. I've made some swing changes and I think I need more spin now!

I went from Sub Zero to speed zone xtreme. Ball speed is a hair lower but WAAAAAY more consistent across the face. I feel like I can't miss with it and the SZ just made me nervous. 

Its not a huge spinner either. Just very, very, very forgiving. 

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I had the F9 and wanted to love it, especially for the price. But it just wasn’t as forgiving a head as I had hoped. I got fitted into a Ping G410 plus with Tensei Orange and really liked the ball flight and how straight I hit it, but that is always my experience with the Ping drivers. I am always hitting them well and always looking for something else to knock it out of the bag. I only hit the ball 250 when I am swinging well, so a few extra yards with a driver is nice to have, but in the fairway twice as often is even better. Then came along the Speedzone Extreme Pars and Stripes edition with a Ventus blue shaft. I loved the pictures I saw, but was sure that it wouldn’t fit me at all and I would try it and sell it quickly after. Boy was I wrong. The SZ Extreme head is about the most forgiving head I have ever swung. It pretty much doesn’t matter where on the head I hit it, it still goes long and straight, well long for me anyway. I picked up about 10-15 yards average in distance and I am hitting more fairways than I have since I was young and didn’t carry a wood in the bag. I attribute it to the forgiving head. I do not have those mishits that go 180 and not straight. It is the overall consistency that gives me more drives 250 and longer with a straighter ball flight when I do not hit the center of the face. Finally a driver has knocked the Ping drivers out of my bag...

Also, the first time I have ever paid over $450 for a driver. And yes, I was fitted for it to make sure that I wasn’t spending $550 for nothing. Fitter said it was right in my wheelhouse. I am a believer in the Ventus shaft for sure. It feels really good honestly.

Edited by BPetry

I’m playing SZ with a GD IZ and I’ve never hit a driver better. My driving always used to cost me but it has been amazing for me. I’m playing it at 45.25 and replaced the 2 gram weight with a 6 gram. The avalanche white with the matte crown looks great at address. I’ve test the SIM with same shaft and length and it was pretty much the same performance but prefer the look of the Cobra. 

On 8/22/2020 at 10:13 AM, Kmac said:

I had the same problem.  I like hitting the ball with a slight fade not a huge slice. now my SIM Max 8* is awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a Cobra driver ho since the King LTD, only skipped F6. Didn't think anything could top the F8+, then I tried the F9. When the SZ came out, I hoped for the same level up. Oof. Tried SZ with 4 different shafts, it was a dog for me. Sound/feel alone are a big step back IMO but the results as well, I need to stay heads down and not look at any driver for another couple years. 

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

On 9/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, FredWomble said:

I've been a Cobra driver ho since the King LTD, only skipped F6. Didn't think anything could top the F8+, then I tried the F9. When the SZ came out, I hoped for the same level up. Oof. Tried SZ with 4 different shafts, it was a dog for me. Sound/feel alone are a big step back IMO but the results as well, I need to stay heads down and not look at any driver for another couple years. 

Makes me wonder if you were just swinging a driver that escaped quality control. Love Cobra, but their QC could be better. I agree the F9 is better than the SZ, but it still shares most of the same DNA. Shouldn't have been a monster step back. Most felt like the SZ was a lateral move from F9 with different cosmetics. Would be curious if you had the same reaction with a different SZ head. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

I know the question was asked awhile ago, but a good tip if the search function on a given site sucks is to use something like this via duckduckgo or google:

site:golfwrx.com cobra speedzone reviews

The "site:" syntax limits your search to just that site. The only time it doesn't work is if those pages are not indexed.

3 hours ago, JDCON said:

I know the question was asked awhile ago, but a good tip if the search function on a given site sucks is to use something like this via duckduckgo or google:

site:golfwrx.com cobra speedzone reviews

The "site:" syntax limits your search to just that site. The only time it doesn't work is if those pages are not indexed.

Thanks tips.

Edited by RH82

So I just sold one of the SZ Pars and Stripes to someone here on WRX and was lucky enough to have the shaft (real deal Ventus blue) snapped in half by UPS. So, had to refund his money, got a broken driver back and a bunch of bogus charges from UPS. Point of it is if anyone is interested in the white Pars and Stripes head only let me know. I'll even throw in half a shaft?! The tip side even. Special headcover? DONE! The tool might be asking too much though. 

• Haha 1