Opportunity to be hosted at Sleepy Hollow and Winged foot East and west

i think it really varies & depends. if someone says "hey come play my club" you can expect not to pay, but should always be ready to pay. if you have a friend who's a member of a club around your age and you push for the game, expect to pay. everyone i've ever hosted always says at the end "let me know what i owe you".  and yes, ive been reimbursed (and paid guest fees) via venmo. and yes, you should always offer to pick the caddie fee for both yourself & the guest, if caddies with guests are mandatory. and this was said earlier but if host refuses a greens fee comp then you best pay for his caddie.

net net, no matter who's hosting you, always go in expecting to pay & offering to pay.

40 minutes ago, Zski said:

Don’t want to be a buzz kill but you can’t visit NY from Texas currently unless you self quarantine for 14 days

if you were running Winged Foot which is predominately old members I doubt they want visitors from places with lots of Covid cases coming to visit.  Courses are getting serious about contact tracing.  I had to provide my address and recent travel to play last week.

LOL oh yeah, that COVID thing

I guess should plan for 2021

4 hours ago, luvxfinity said:

No, bring cash and insist on paying. If the host refuses, give the greens fees money to the bag guys. I don't think being a recent college grad merits skimping out and expecting someone else to pay. If your budget does not allow it DO NOT GO and DO NOT TAKE CHARITY. It's just an admittance to personal incompetence, but being responsible and generous will lead you to other opportunities. 

Do I face this question> Yes, with friends with jets I kick in (and know the actual costs...), and if I don't want to contribute $5000 for my seat in a 1 hour ride I drive myself. I am not an advocate of sponging off others as I've been taken advantage of plenty of times. 

Young posters should use these forums intelligently. Act appropriately and you just might get invites through private DMs. Act entitled, well, sorry. These are just some unwritten rules I've seen... 

As a 26 year old, don't screw up this opportunity. Assume that slight offenses can ultimately blackball you from the network of his friends. 

Definition of hostone that receives or entertains guests socially, commercially, or officially

Dude you need to chill out.  Having a generous friend host you on a flight or golf or dinner is not sponging.  Do you ever accept gifts?  What if someone wants to buy you a birthday lunch?  You decline?  Having someone host you is not "personal incompetence".   OP is not expecting anyone to pay, he said that in the first post.  

Agree with others that he should:

a) offer to pay

b) be prepared to pay

c) if declined offer to buy lunch/dinner/drinks

d) if declined again, a very nice gift and personal card should be arriving at the hosts home within the week.

Edit:  Don't give $500 to the bag guys.  If the guy does pay and refuse payment, accept graciously. 

Edited by david.c.w
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, luvxfinity said:

No, bring cash and insist on paying. If the host refuses, give the greens fees money to the bag guys. I don't think being a recent college grad merits skimping out and expecting someone else to pay. If your budget does not allow it DO NOT GO and DO NOT TAKE CHARITY. It's just an admittance to personal incompetence, but being responsible and generous will lead you to other opportunities. 

Do I face this question> Yes, with friends with jets I kick in (and know the actual costs...), and if I don't want to contribute $5000 for my seat in a 1 hour ride I drive myself. I am not an advocate of sponging off others as I've been taken advantage of plenty of times. 

Young posters should use these forums intelligently. Act appropriately and you just might get invites through private DMs. Act entitled, well, sorry. These are just some unwritten rules I've seen... 

As a 26 year old, don't screw up this opportunity. Assume that slight offenses can ultimately blackball you from the network of his friends. 

We all have different perspectives here - but this one is borderline insanity to me. I'm a member of a club in the same category as mentioned by the OP. If I invite a 26 year old guy to play, I have zero expectation that he will pay for anything. Zero. It's not charity. It's my club, and what it costs to host a guest is between me and my fellow members. The guest has nothing to do with the equation.

The idea that a "slight offense" could "blackball" a kid is ludicrous. I guarantee you that said kid is probably going to commit some faux pas at the club (OMG, he changed his shoes in the parking lot). And FWIW, throwing cash to the bag guys would be one of those faux pas.

But back on the money topic...the only thing I'd let a guest pay for is covering caddies, and I'll only do that if they're members of a comparable club who understand the caddie transaction.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, raynorfan1 said:

We all have different perspectives here - but this one is borderline insanity to me. I'm a member of a club in the same category as mentioned by the OP. If I invite a 26 year old guy to play, I have zero expectation that he will pay for anything. Zero. It's not charity. It's my club, and what it costs to host a guest is between me and my fellow members. The guest has nothing to do with the equation.

The idea that a "slight offense" could "blackball" a kid is ludicrous. I guarantee you that said kid is probably going to commit some faux pas at the club (OMG, he changed his shoes in the parking lot). And FWIW, throwing cash to the bag guys would be one of those faux pas.

But back on the money topic...the only thing I'd let a guest pay for is covering caddies, and I'll only do that if they're members of a comparable club who understand the caddie transaction.

well said