2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Are bridgestone j40 pocket cavities outdated?

landshark

I was watching txg video on a fitting and they say older clubs past 5 years old are using old technology. I currently have j40 pocket cavities .I was wondering if I am missing anything with the newer clubs? I am digging the srixon 585 though. What am I missing with my older set? Is it mostly just the Springer hotter faces of new?

J40 are a Classic.

I sold J33cb and missed them. J40 are all you need,Only Strong

Lofts on newer are the difference.J200MB are out soon !

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Funny you mentioned these clubs...literally took the 5 and 7 iron to the range with me today...still feel great and very playable...no noticeable difference in distance...turf interaction was the only difference from my 765’s...matched up against my Srixon’s very well!

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

I love TXG, but you do have to know a bit about what they’re talking about already and take it with a grain of salt. As advances in the last 10 years or so haven’t been that big for irons, playing with or shopping for 5 year old clubs should not be that big of an issue, as long as the grooves and grips are still good :)

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

I don't think you are missing anything with your J40's. You have slightly weaker lofts, but do you really want a 44* PW? I like the Z785 but not a huge fan of the feel and sound of the hotter face on then Z585. You'll probably gain a bit of distance with the Srixons, but is that something you are looking for and what's the tradeoff in terms of spin and accuracy? May as well give them a hit and see if its worth making the change.

If you are a low spin or even a medium spin player, you are better off playing the J40's and staying there. There are a few irons out there that may be just as good as the J40 DPC, but unless you spin the ball like crazy, there isn't a ton of improvement to be found. Fred Couples still plays his DPC's,

The hollow bodied irons increase ball speed and reduce spin. That is a recipe for disaster for low spin and some medium spin players. All it takes is a little grass or dew or dirt in your grooves and the already lower spin iron comes off a bit lower and with less spin and you get the "flyer" that everyone seems to think is a hot spot. I have seen good medium and lower spin players see the shiny new distance they lost over the years with their irons cause them to play these newer technology irons. They all end up changing. I know of two better than scratch players that went to hollow bodied irons, and after 5 or so rounds dropped them. They went from shooting 68 - 75 and hitting 13 or more GIR to shooting 72-77 and hitting 10 GIR.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I regret sometimes “upgrading” to the J15 line, sometimes newer is not always better. I had the J40 CB for a while and a half, managed to grab a set of the DPC cheap and loved them, but sold them in a cull of the inventory because I knew I could net......have regretted it ever since.

to answer your question, if you want hot faces and longer distances then you may be missing out. If you want solid irons that feel great and perform well, then keep on with them.

Bottom line, not. Loft for loft, length for length, shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when on the sweet spot regardless of the year of iron. If you played a lot of USGA sanctioned tournaments and the grooves weren't 2010 compliant then it would be outdated just because of that.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

It depends on what you are looking for out of new clubs. Are you chasing more distance? Then the new clubs will help you with that... Everything else, spin, turf interaction and forgiveness is pretty much trade off in ever iron. I'm currently playing Adams CMBs from 2012. They do everything I need them to do. I've played solid golf with them when I'm swinging well... and honestly, when I was swinging poorly, there isn't enough technology to fix what was wrong.

Go demo some modern stuff and see how it feels... I can't stand the "hot faced" irons. They feel hollow to me... I also don't need the distance the give.

It's always fun to try new things, but don't get it in your head you HAVE to replace what is working for you.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Nope, those are modern to be classics.....

Of course club companies are going to say similar to 'if over X years, you're outdated and costing yourself yards, scoring, etc'

I just realized last Sunday while playing my irons are going on 7th season (longest I've played a set in dunno how long) and I still enjoy them. I've looked at other irons, but since I play mine (what I consider) well, no reason to change. If what you have is working for you, stay with them.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

If they work for you and the grooves aren't worn out you won't see any performance gains on center strikes, just forgiveness gains from newer irons. The stuff that sits in the Pocket Cavity category these days has tungsten in the toe or tungsten in the heel and toe to increase MOI. That would be the main difference from your J40s.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

I often go back to my mid-90's DCI's and can honestly say that the #'s on the scorecard don't really change. If you go from modern "distance" irons you will see a difference with club distance but you will just be hitting a 7 iron with the old clubs and an 8 with the new. As long as you know "your" distances with each set of clubs, the game is the same.

• Like 1

2017 TaylorMade M2 10.5° Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60 X-Stiff
2017 TaylorMade M2 18° Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 X-Stiff
Ping G410 19° & 26° Tour 85 Stiff
Wishon 771CSI 5-PW X100
Titleist SM6 46-08, 50-08, X100...56-14, 62-08 DG TT S400
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

TXG has also said that tech has advanced more with drivers in last handful of years then irons..... but even that is taken with a grain of salt cause only thing that really improves is the size of the sweet spot as they dont hit any further as the legal COR hasn't increased..... so if you really like your older gear keep it for sure

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Definitely not. I still play my j36 pocket cavities from time to time. I just wish I didn't let the shafts get rusty when I was younger. The shape is perfect on the to my eye.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

iMO, the J40 DPC is one of the all-time greats and I also liked the J38 version. Great clubs. One of the best soles ever. Lofts are slightly weaker with a 47 degree PW, but it makes no difference. You still only get 14 clubs to cover all the distances. There is enough bounce in the J40 DPC that I think you could strengthen them a degree or two to gain 5 yards, but not really the point with irons. If you love the feel at impact of a J40 DPC, which I do, I can tell you the 585 feels much different. Powerful and hot, but to me doesn’t feel addictive. Bridgestone irons .... something about them.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Ah yes, 1 degree off as it is a 46 degree wedge in that head. I was thinking of the J40CB, which is my overall favorite in the J40 lineup because the short irons are smaller. Its wedge is 1 degree weaker than the DPC.

Still, neither viewed as strong these days but I don’t notice it while playing. My PW is always in the area of 46-47 degrees and my irons have the weakest loft of any of the guys I play with! They are all into the Mavrik Pro, T200, SIM Max, etc.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Alright, I'll be "that guy". I played the J40 DPC's for a while with a couple different shafts and while I liked them, I definitely see much better results on mis-hits with my Hot Metal Pro's. Someone else said the key phrase, "it depends on what you're looking for from an iron." If you don't need much help getting the ball flight you are looking for and are a consistent ball-striker, they're probably just as good as anything newer. On days that I was hitting them well, they were great!

However, on days that my swing is not on, I'm glad that I moved on to something else.

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

Played them on and off for years, loved the blade length, sole and feel, I always wanted more offset. I have Steelfibers in mine and they now play too stiff and too short, plus with the low bounce i cant bend them any stronger.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

These are GI classics, along with the Callaway X20 Tours and the TaylorMade SLDRs.

If the grooves are good and you have a shaft that matches your swing, they will work.

I rented a J40 DPC test kit back in 2013. Came with 5i and 9i, one pair shafted in NS Pro 950 and the other in DG R300 SL. While they had a good solid feel, I ended up keeping my X20 Tours.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

dont bet against guys with 40 DPCs, 15 CBs, 745s, several older Mizuno lines.

when you see those Mavrik Pros, thats when you throw the money down.

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Not only are they not outdated, I don't think there has been anything made since that matches them for all the boxes they tick. High MOI and low, more rearward CG in a forged, low offset, thinner soled, thin topline package with leading edge relief is VERY hard to find. You might find another iron with maybe two thirds of these elements, but it is all of them together that make it a modern classic and a bit of a unicorn. Not really being "that guy" at all as you're talking about a much different style of iron. The Hot Metal Pro is a multi-material thinner faced cast distance style iron, completely different category.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant