Upgrading from MP-32s

Hi , been gaming the Old mizuno Mp-32s and have to say I love them ! They have really helped my game. I’m down to a 12 hcp now. Was playing m6 irons before these so was a big change but they suited me better than the distance rocket launchers m6. Have kept the m6 for the 3 and 4 iron spots as they are very forgiving.

but now I’m looking for something in the middle a players cavity maybe don’t want strong lofts or distances as really like the mp32 set up loft offset bounce etc but with a touch more forgiveness as on a bad round I can still shoot in the low 90s.

best match with all the above to mp32 doesn’t have to be mizuno either.??

also would rather buy second hand so clubs that are at least a couple of years old as don’t want to pay £600 again like I did for the m6.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have been playing MP32's for this long, you will be disappointed where ever you go...

The Mizuno MP-18 SC are similar in bounce and lofts (1* stronger in the shorter irons). MP-18 SC's off-set a touch less. I came from playing MP-14 and it did not take much time, if any, to get comfo

Lookup Maltby MPF ratings for each club (6 iron): Mizuno attached MPF_MIZUNO (1).pdf.  For MOI, indicating heel to toe "forgiveness", it shows from lowest to highest:  mp32 - z745 - mp54 - mp53.  For

I would suggest Z785's. I loved my MP-32's, and still have them(both sets). I'm playing Z785's right now, and think that you would find them to be a similar size, with a little more forgiveness. With the new Z series being launched, you'll probably be able to start finding used sets of Z785's at a decent price.

Titleist TS3 10.5*(C4) - VA Composites Raijin 64 four

Callaway Epic 3w 15* - VA Composites Raijin 74 four

Callaway Epic 3h 20* - VA Composites Raijin 84 four

Srixon Z785 (4-9) - DG Tour Issue X100(SS1)

Vokey SM8 46.10F, 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, 60.04T(61*) - DG Tour Issue S400

Bettinardi SS28 Slotback

I played mp32' and for me the callaway mb's feel good. Not the shiny chrome one but more the satin finish from about 5 years ago. I would also give the Taylor made 2014 mb's a try. I absolutely loved them when they were in the rotation. Other than than, the new mizuno 900's are good as well. Those three with probably honorable mention for the cobra Mc/Mb combos.

TaylorMade RBZ Tour 9* Motore 60 S
TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 GD BBS 60S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Mizuno921 4-GW SteelFiber I95 Stiff

Cobra MIM Masters Edition 56*

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

The Mizuno MP-18 SC are similar in bounce and lofts (1* stronger in the shorter irons). MP-18 SC's off-set a touch less. I came from playing MP-14 and it did not take much time, if any, to get comfortable with them. I'm trying out a set of T100 irons now to see if they can knock out the Mizunos.

• Like 1

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60x | Cobra Tour 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | Cobra Tour 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | T100 4-PW X100 SS | RTX4 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

If you have been playing MP32's for this long, you will be disappointed where ever you go...

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

• 3 months later...

I would definitely go with jpx 900 forged if you're looking for a great set, but looking to save some money.  I have the mp 32s, but honestly even at a 2 I prefer some help.  I have the jpx 919 forged now.   Wow, what an amazing club.  Another good option is ping i20s.  They're also an amazing set, and you can find a really nice set at a good price.  S55s are another really good option. 

Edited by Nick_E
3 hours ago, deanomag said:

I tried the ping s55s did not get on with them at all, they felt awful very clicky. My only worry with the Jpx line is aren’t they a bit clunky and big ? 

do the mp53 /54 or srixon z745 offer much more than the mp32s ?? 

Lookup Maltby MPF ratings for each club (6 iron): Mizuno attached MPF_MIZUNO (1).pdf.  For MOI, indicating heel to toe "forgiveness", it shows from lowest to highest:  mp32 - z745 - mp54 - mp53.  For Actual VCOG, the lower the number the "easier" it is to get in the air (though I haven't really been able to tell) :  the Mizunos are pretty close to each other, but z745 is noticably higher.  As always YMMV, but just looking at the numbers and considering what you're looking for, mp53 may be best.

I can only say I love my 54s, but have never hit the others, though I do bag a z545 3 iron.  I don't find them lacking in forgiveness, with most misses being thin, sometimes toe side.  I'm a mostly shallow divot digger, sometimes pick but sometimes dig medium divots with short irons, and sole camber and leading edge are great for me.  FWIW I tried to like JPX 850 Forged, but the feel for me was not good compared to mp54.

Edited by joostin
  • Thanks 1

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4I Mizuno MP-H4 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, DGP S300 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

I am gaming MP-54s, having upgraded from JPX 825 Pro.  Love them, they aren't going anywhere.

I concur with @joostin  regarding the MPF ratings between MP-32, MP-53 and MP-54.   

My backup set are 32s.  The 54s are more forgiving and easier to get airborne, and the 53s even more so.   

I think the 54s are closer to a muscle-back, especially in the short irons.  They feel solid and dense when struck well.  The 53s feel hotter off the face and appeared to launch higher.

Also, @joostin noted how the feel of the JPX 850 Forged didnt feel the same as the 54s.  I think that's because (starting with the 850 Forged), Mizuno started putting Boron in their irons.  Boron is a harder metal.  It allowed Mizzy to use thinner/hotter faces without changing weight or compromising structural integrity. But the newer irons have not felt as good as my 54s, which is why I have not upgraded either.

• Thanks 1