Grips—what’s best for Florida Humidity?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corded grips. I use the golf pride zgrip

Golf Pride MCC+4. They are not a full-cord grip like the ZGrip, but there is cord built into the grip. I also believe the slightly thicker lower half of the grip helps (Golf Pride website says it s

Zgrip cord. No comparison to the +4's which get slicker. Plus the regular MCC's wear out on the lower hand quickly. I am sure the +4's will too. Those zgrips are great. I will go through 3 gloves in a

Golf Pride MCC+4. They are not a full-cord grip like the ZGrip, but there is cord built into the grip. I also believe the slightly thicker lower half of the grip helps (Golf Pride website says it simulates 4 additional layers of tape under the lower hand).

I've lived in FL since the early 90s. These are the best grips I've found for the weather we get here.

• Like 1

Don’t care for corded grips. Wears my hands out at the range. I find CP2 Pro or Pro Wrap both work great if I just carry a damp towel, give them a quick wipe and rub and they have a nice tacky feel. They’re not soft but not as firm as Tour Velvet and I like the feel. Played in Bama and Louisiana for years and DC humidity is no bargain either!

I went to the range yesterday, forgot to put on my glove, 93 degrees, 85 % relative humidity.

I was using Golf Pride Tour Wrap a few years old, and was getting no slippage or discomfort whatsoever, so I guess I can recommend them, unless they have screwed them up in the last few years.

Rain gloves. Live in Houston, which I refer to as the armpit of America, and they are the only thing that works.

Taylormade Sim 9*, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS

Taylormade M6 3w, UST Proforce V2

Taylormade M6 4H, KBS Proto

TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW KBS 130x

Mizuno S18 50*, DG s400 TI

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 TI

Wilson Staff Infinite Grant Park

TP5

A third vote for leather. Live in Minnesota, we get gulf coast weather for considerable parts of every summer, and for a guy like me who runs warm, leather gets it done. I'm in the process of switching my irons to GripMaster Roo grips. Cost more, sure, but they'll last a whole lot longer as well, making the value similar. Maybe even a bit better.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Tour Velvet works fine in SoFla. Cord and leather is better though. You have to care for your grips tho - clean then regularly etc...

Currently playing Tour Velvet 360s which feel softer and tackier than regular TV. Have had zero slippage issues and prefer them over MCCs at this point. Z-grip is good too but beat up your hands

MCC +4 and no glove. The glove quickly becomes a source of moisture.

Titleist 917 d3 10.5 Diamana red 50 S or Titleist 917 f3 13.5 Diamana red 60 S
Titleist 917 f3 15 Diamana red 60 S
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 5/6/7 mp20 hmb recoil 95 f3
Mizuno 8/9/P mp20 mmc recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno tpm #2
Titleist Pro V1x 

Go to full cord grip, you won't regret it.

I played the MCC+4 for a while, but in crazy humid conditions, the lower half would still get real slick. Had more than one shot go off line due to the club twisting in my hands. Even with the Finger-10 gloves (which are basically a rain glove), I hated how it felt like only half the grip was useful.

Went to the Z-Cord and haven't looked back. The weight of both is about the same as well, so my SW's weren't changed either.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

I've found that the Lamkin UTx, Crossline, Crossline Cord, Tour Velvet BCT or anything cord related works best with humidity. I've lived in Houston and the DFW area, and that's what's worked best for me over the years.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower with Elements Earth 7F4 or Diamana D+ x5ct 70s

Hybrids: 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Proforce V2 85F4, 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid UTS Proforce VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 dgs300
Irons: 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

We all sweat differently - you might use sweat bands to keep wet from dripping to hands.

I have used GripMasters, MCC+4, I think the Z Grip will work, have it on one wedge, and have used rain gloves. Tour Velvets were the worst for me.

I use a product called Dry Glove that helps, then take 3 Titleist Gloves to the range or course with me and use MCC+4.

Clean your grips frequently -- I use Dawn, a $1.50 nylon brush from Wal-Mart - Water, Dawn, scrub, rinse, dry. WIth Golf Pride Grips, you need to scrub them often.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too