TaylorMade Spider FCG putter: In-hand pictures

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like an Odyssey BigT

Have you putted with the Cleveland frontline mid mallets? There's something to this forward cg with higher than blade moi. Feel of a blade with a touch of forgiveness. I very well may have bought the

Taylormade's current putter line outside of the Spider leaves me scratching my head and this is no exception. The Truss has to be the worst putter in recent memory, and despite this being better the p

Posted Images

Looks pretty nice and I’m looking forward to rolling this at my local shop.

TaylorMade SIM Max - Fujikura Motore X F3 6

TaylorMade M3 HL 3 Wood - Fujikura Motore X F3 7

TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 3 - Fujikura Ventus Blue

TaylorMade P770 4-AW - Project X LZ 6.0

TaylorMade MG2 TW Grind 56 & 60 - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade My Spider X - KBS CT Tour

TaylorMade TP5X

I'm really looking forward to trying this. Long time spider user here who has gone back to a blade this year, but misses some of the stability. Looking forward to seeing what the feel of the copper insert is, as well. I've been gravitating towards putters with a firmer face lately.

TaylorMade SIM 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 3-4, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade P7MC 5-6, KBS $-Taper S

TaylorMade P7MB 7-PW, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade MG2 52, Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade Milled Juno proto, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

Taylormade's current putter line outside of the Spider leaves me scratching my head and this is no exception.

The Truss has to be the worst putter in recent memory, and despite this being better the positioning of the adjustable weight makes no sense to me.

With a 2.5g weight it won't matter much, but for those that add heavier weights this thing is going to send off centred strikes even further from the intended target.

There is a reason why most golf manufacturers implmenent adjustable weights in pairs, or a single weight right at the rear perimiter of the putter.

• Like 1

d: G410+ | f: M3 |  h: Epic | i: 921 Tour | w: Vokey | p: SpiderX

This putter does have weights in pairs, they're just not adjustable. The heel and toe tungsten weights account for more than 100g of the total head weight. So unless you're putting a ridiculously heavy weight in the center, it's not going to affect off center strikes. That center weight is for nothing more than dialing in the right feel and swing weight.

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

Go read up on the tech in Cleveland Frontline putters and their story is the ball actually travels CLOSER to the intended target line with offcenter hits because the COG is so far forward. Same concept here

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 8* - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch 65 6.5tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Fujikura Ventus 7x
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus 7x
Srixon 745 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 - SST Pure
Ping Glide 3.0 - 50SS

Taylormade MG2 TW - 56 & 60 - Project X 6.5
Taylormade Spider S Chalk Counterbalance / Sik Pro C Armlock  / WHO KNOWS

I like this putter, admittedly it took a few looks to like it but the more I look at it the more I like it. The copper insert is a nice addition.
I love the tech Taylormade is putting into their putters (and all clubs).
I would like to see Taylormade offer up options in their putter lines like they are in their recent iron release. By that I mean, I would like to see a very traditional line with a slight modern touch along side the tech driven putter like this one. If they released a fully milled (no insert) Soto and Juno, I would have a bunch of Taylormade putters.

Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6x

Taylormade SIM MAX 15* Ventus Velocore Blue 8x

Taylormade SIM UDI 3 19* Ventus Velcocore Blue 10x

Taylormade P770 (2020) Nippon Modus3 130x (4-5 iron)

Taylormade P7-MC Nippon Modus 3 130x (6-8 iron)

Taylormade P7-MB Nippon Modus3 130x (9 iron)

Taylormade MG2 48* & 52*

Taylormade MG2 56* & 60* TW grind

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 35" w/ Pistolero Plus grip

Bridgestone Tour BX (2020)

Not sure I get this.. while it looks good. Why just just play a blade if your are playing a mallet that is really just a blade?

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

On 8/18/2020 at 9:45 AM, hd.softail said:

338g head weight at 34", anyone know why TM went so light in these when it seems like everyone else is 360g plus at 34"?

Is this confirmed?  Would be nice to have some lighter options to choose from for those of us that like lighter weight putters.  I can’t go heavier than 340 with any kind of consistency

M5 9* - AD BB 7x
Sim Max 15* - Tensei Orange 70tx
'17 Taylormade M1 hybrid - Kuro Kage 80X
Titleist 716 TMB 3-4 iron AMT X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-pw KBS Tour 130x
Custom Oven grind Nike Engage 50 sq, 56 toe sweep
Custom 1/1 Rory Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Really looking forward to rolling one of these when a store in my area gets these in stock. 

TaylorMade SIM Max - Fujikura Motore X F3 6

TaylorMade M3 HL 3 Wood - Fujikura Motore X F3 7

TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 3 - Fujikura Ventus Blue

TaylorMade P770 4-AW - Project X LZ 6.0

TaylorMade MG2 TW Grind 56 & 60 - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade My Spider X - KBS CT Tour

TaylorMade TP5X

The Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 is doing something similar to the FCG. The heavy steel section is in the front and light aluminum for the fangs in the back. It sits exactly like a blade putter, ie it doesn’t want to sit back and roll open.  With the crescent neck it feels like the most solid and stable blade ever to me. 

I think even though the MOI numbers might show this being low the concept is pretty solid and a lot of people will like it. I’ll be shocked if some pros aren’t gaming the FCG next year. 

On 8/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, Kylekoz17 said:

Is this confirmed?  Would be nice to have some lighter options to choose from for those of us that like lighter weight putters.  I can’t go heavier than 340 with any kind of consistency

Yes. Head weights are listed on the TaylorMade.com product pages. Stock weights vary a little based on neck type and length.

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

I think and by I think I mean I guess, the head weights are done this way because you feel the weight differently when it’s closer to the face vs being well away from the face. 

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

On 8/25/2020 at 6:16 AM, Kylekoz17 said:

The lighter weight is to fit a "CERTAIN PLAYER" that TM worked with on this putter who DOES NOT currently use a TM putter nor does this player use a mallet putter. Frankly this player needs a change view!! It will be interesting to see if he makes the move with his next event at Winged Foot.

In the bag: Playing --- SIM TaylorMade driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM SIM (set @ 16*) with Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. 5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X (set @18.5*). HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S.,  RBZ-2 Tour 5 w/Fuji MCH 80-S alternates with SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9S,  Irons TM M-3 4i bent to 5i, loft TM P760 6-9,PW all w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW-TM Hi Toe 56* 4-way grind bent to 54* w/Modus 105-S, LW- TM Hi-Toe 60 C-grind Tour only custom grind raw face Grind bent to 59* w/NS Pro 950GH-S, Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype. Ball TaylorMade TP5X.
 Alternates in the Hybrids and 4-i depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

10 hours ago, MCoz said:

The lighter weight is to fit a "CERTAIN PLAYER" that TM worked with on this putter who DOES NOT currently use a TM putter nor does this player use a mallet putter. Frankly this player needs a change view!! It will be interesting to see if he makes the move with his next event at Winged Foot.

So, koepka is going to use the fcg?