TaylorMade Spider FCG putter: In-hand pictures

On 8/18/2020 at 9:48 AM, QuigleyDU said:

Not sure I get this.. while it looks good. Why just just play a blade if your are playing a mallet that is really just a blade?

Have you putted with the Cleveland frontline mid mallets? There's something to this forward cg with higher than blade moi. Feel of a blade with a touch of forgiveness. I very well may have bought the elevado if it had a plumber's neck. I'll roll the fcg. Would only purchase if they offer a no sightline version. Even then, not sure I'll be willing to spend what tm will charge. 

• Like 2

The Cleveland frontline is one of the most underrated lines out there imo. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

15 hours ago, MCoz said:

The lighter weight is to fit a "CERTAIN PLAYER" that TM worked with on this putter who DOES NOT currently use a TM putter nor does this player use a mallet putter. Frankly this player needs a change view!! It will be interesting to see if he makes the move with his next event at Winged Foot.

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

So, koepka is going to use the fcg?

It’s not Koepka since it was known he’s out for the season. Jordan Spieth is my guess but I’m not sure he’d step out on Titleist even though his putting has been poor. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Have you putted with the Cleveland frontline mid mallets? There's something to this forward cg with higher than blade moi. Feel of a blade with a touch of forgiveness. I very well may have bought the elevado if it had a plumber's neck. I'll roll the fcg. Would only purchase if they offer a no sightline version. Even then, not sure I'll be willing to spend what tm will charge. 

I have tried them and they are good. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

13 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

It’s not Koepka since it was known he’s out for the season. Jordan Spieth is my guess but I’m not sure he’d step out on Titleist even though his putting has been poor. 

While I may not confirm who it is right away. I will say that it is neither Koepka nor Spieth. I was told about what I mentioned in confidence from someone in the know. We'll see if the player takes to it in the next three to four weeks. 

Koepka's problems are more physical (and maybe a little mental). Spieth's biggest problems seem to be mental lapses and a driver that at times has a mind of it's own. While he is questionable on short putts he still seems to make a fair amount of mid range putts.  

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

On 8/29/2020 at 8:57 PM, MCoz said:

The lighter weight is to fit a "CERTAIN PLAYER" that TM worked with on this putter who DOES NOT currently use a TM putter nor does this player use a mallet putter. Frankly this player needs a change view!! It will be interesting to see if he makes the move with his next event at Winged Foot.

I expected better from WRX to start saying it has to be Tiger! Either way Trottie did mention that Tiger did have some say in this putter on a podcast with the TXG guys recently. 

Edited by TK3309
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

On 8/29/2020 at 8:57 PM, MCoz said:

Yep. After his last two performances on the greens, one with a new blade and one with old faithful, I really want to see him with an FCG at Winged Foot.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

10 hours ago, TK3309 said:

I expected better from WRX to start saying it has to be Tiger! Either way Trottie did mention that Tiger did have some say in this putter on a podcast with the TXG guys recently. 

I wasn't aware of that quote or that specific TXG podcast.  But I guess at this point I can confirm the info. But let's see. Typically TW doesn't make important equipment changes without a lot of testing "out of view' especially with two majors coming up in a relatively short time especially The Masters where it would seem almost incomprehensible to play Augusta National without that SC. 

• Like 1

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, MCoz said:

Pretty awesome.  Going to have to try 329g model at 33”

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

I was all set to try it until i realized i really already have one. 

Inovai 6.0.jpeg

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

I have no idea why, but I really like plumber neck blades. But there is something off about plumber neck mallets in my eye... I just do not like how they look.. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 8/10/2020 at 10:48 PM, bombs said:

Taylormade's current putter line outside of the Spider leaves me scratching my head and this is no exception.

The Truss has to be the worst putter in recent memory, and despite this being better the positioning of the adjustable weight makes no sense to me.

With a 2.5g weight it won't matter much, but for those that add heavier weights this thing is going to send off centred strikes even further from the intended target.

There is a reason why most golf manufacturers implmenent adjustable weights in pairs, or a single weight right at the rear perimiter of the putter.

I couldn’t agree more. To me Taylormade need a huge upgrade in putters. They went all in spider. 

On 9/4/2020 at 5:08 AM, 4TheKing614 said:

I couldn’t agree more. To me Taylormade need a huge upgrade in putters. They went all in spider. 

Just a note-- there are a lot of people that don't like the looks or the Truss but Martin Kaymer seems to like it. He finished top 5 last week in Europe and he is in 2nd place thru 3 rounds this week. 

I tried these and I am not sure what to think. They do not feel stable and I feel like I had a hard time making a consistent stroke with it. 

Oddly enough I would go truss over this. I would really like a truss blade with just a milled head no insert.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 8/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, MCoz said:

I guess. ?? Tiger could use this , but it’s not going to help the putting.  His issue isn’t alignment. It’s always speed. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, Guv280984 said:

Anybody find this putter hot off the face?!

Yes I do. Demo’d one for another 30 minutes and could not get used to it. The face seems springier that the Spider X I use. Feels great, just hotter.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

6 hours ago, Guv280984 said:

Anybody find this putter hot off the face?!

Yes it's definitely hot off the face, but that's one of the things I loved when I demoed it. One of the reasons I switched back to a non-groove blade this year is because I switched to TP5 last season and the ball launched a little slower off my other Spiders when compared to the 2017-18 TP5x I had been playing.

This putter is not going to be for everyone, but I think it was made for me. Feels like a blade during the stroke, but with a smaller head size like a Spider, and there's just a hint more stability in the stroke than I have with a blade. I need to pull the trigger and get one, but I already had to apologize for the P7** purchase ?

Edited to add: I liked the L neck, but didn't care at all for the slant neck, which surprised me having used a Santa Fe or a Newport 1.5/2.5 for years. The single bend version set up well behind the ball, but was not great for my stroke. So finding the right neck is going to be a big deal with this putter. My instructor, who's on national staff with TaylorMade, got an FCG with a flow neck. I haven't had a chance to roll any with it yet, but that sounds interesting.

Edited by jll62
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I played around with this at the store today, and while I would never pass judgement on a putter based on 10 minutes of carpet putting, I didn't love this one. Looks are subjective and all, but I feel like it looks kinda cheap at address. It definitely didn't strike me as a $350 putter.

A mallet that feels like a blade should appeal to me in theory, but it didn't really feel that way to me. Just felt like a lightweight mallet. 

Edited by MaineMariner
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

Tried it today and I’ll join in saying I didn’t like it. 

1. It doesn’t feel very stable. It basically feels like a blade with a light piece hanging off the back. It does not feel anywhere near as stable as a spider X or tour. 

2. Feel didn’t wow me. 

3. It does look small. Spider mini size (which I also don’t like). 

Don’t see spider X owners switching to this. Honestly, the Spider S is the underrated model in TMs lineup. 

Got to roll this today. Ball comes hot off the face and gives a great roll. The alignment is really good and form factor reminds of a spider mini. I’ll be sticking with my spider x for now but when I get the itch to go back to a blade, this is where I’ll look first. Might have to swap out the stock grip though as it seems super small. 

I moved back to a blade very recently. Have been in some form of a mallet for the last 6 or so years. I used a newport beach from 2002-2014ish. For me, there are 2 keys to my blade stroke:

1. Short crisp stroke

2. Toe release.

I've found, with mallets, that it's more difficult to keep the stroke short and crisp. There's something visually about seeing the back of the mallet travel so far that messes up the crispness of the through stroke. I putt more aggressively and get more putts to the hole with a blade. This fcg putter is just another mallet from that standpoint. 

With a blade, I like to see, and can really notice it in practice strokes, the toe release kind of hard. With a mallet, the toe is hidden by the chassis sitting behind the face. It's much more difficult to see the toe release with a mallet. This putter fails for me there too.