Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

My current 6 iron is 29 degrees, and I was hitting the 921 HMP 7 iron (29 deg) and 921 Forged 7 iron (31 degrees) further than my current 6.  I'm curious what I can expect with the PW and GW.  My current PW is 45 degrees and my current GW is 50 degrees; whereas the HMP lofts are stronger by one degree (44 and 49 degrees respectively).

Should I expect a big difference between by current GW and the HMP GW?  There's unfortunately no way to really test this until the clubs arrive.

Thanks.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Received mine today and were ordered extremely early on.

Need everyone’s help here... which grip do I go with? give me a like for GOLFPRIDE  OR thanks for LAMKIN  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, reider69 said:

First person to have their irons delivered and posts a pic to this board wins.  Win what????  Absolutely nothing.  Now can we stop arguing and speculating when delivery date is?  Fact is, everyone only knows what they have been told which has been wildly inconsistent!!

no one is arguing Principal Reider. 9/12 ship with 9/17 arrival 

Edited by therealjonzone
7 hours ago, harpua728 said:

My current 6 iron is 29 degrees, and I was hitting the 921 HMP 7 iron (29 deg) and 921 Forged 7 iron (31 degrees) further than my current 6.  I'm curious what I can expect with the PW and GW.  My current PW is 45 degrees and my current GW is 50 degrees; whereas the HMP lofts are stronger by one degree (44 and 49 degrees respectively).

Should I expect a big difference between by current GW and the HMP GW?  There's unfortunately no way to really test this until the clubs arrive.

Thanks.

The HMPs go farther with the same loft.  I ordered mine 1* weak, cuz I need help with launch, knowing I’m gonna gain at least half a club over current Nike forged.  

• Like 2

Current Gamers
MAVRIK 10.5*, FUJI PRO 53 STIFF
TEE XCG5 +3, 5, 7 Fwys 

MIZUNO JPX 921 HOT METAL PRO 6-GW
CALLAWAY MD 4 - 56*, 60*
TOULON AUSTIN STROKE LAB 33”
2020 TOUR B-RX (Fall/Winter)
2019 PROV1X (Summer)

https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf-clubs/jpx921-series/jpx921-hot-metal/

Scroll down to under the "Compare" line charts. "Specs and Options". Press the "Custom Shafts" button and scroll left/right. (Convoluted, but they're there). Would be nice if it were just a chart.

--kC

Edited by Imp

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*

31 minutes ago, Imp said:

Scroll down to under the "Compare" line charts. "Specs and Options". Press the "Custom Shafts" button and scroll left/right. (Convoluted, but they're there). Would be nice if it were just a chart.

--kC

Got it.....thanks so much!

Lots of options but not too many light weight choices for an old geezer like me

3 hours ago, Imp said:

--kC

Bizarre way to show shaft options. 

Cobra SpeedZone Pars & Stripes 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue S 45.5”

PONDERING: Ventus Red 60x, Aldila RIP 60x

Tour Edge EXS 220 13.5 HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 UST Recoil ES 95 F5 X 

ORDERED: New Level NLU-01 21 Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat

PONDERING: Fourteen DJ4 54

TaylorMade Hi Toe 58/10

Rife Phenom.Z 34”
Mizuno K1 Lo 2021 Blue/Red
19 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

Bizarre way to show shaft options. 

I think it's a matter of not really knowing your audience (generally older), and young UI designers showing off their latest and greatest coding/design capabilities (can't fault them for that, honestly). But, in design, KISS. Sometimes, simple IS better. My biggest complaint is the scrolling page... creeps/scrolls by itself without me doing anything. I'm reading and it keeps moving.

Charts/grids are much better than scrolling, so you can compare/contrast. If they had a PDF data sheet that could be downloaded, that'd be perfect. That's my take on it anyways.

--kC

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*

On 9/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, mizuno said:

Did you make any adjustment or have any concerns about the 6* difference between the 4 921F and the 5 921T?  I’m thinking a 5 and 6 921F at 24* and 27* and starting with the 6 921T at 30* to maintain an uniform spacing.  I realize I’ll have two 6 irons, but the 921F at 27* is the same loft as the 921T 5 iron.

Just going to bend the forge so it matches the Tour when it comes in.  I do have a good bending machine.   

Wk

Edited by youngwaldo

Mizuno ST200G 9* Diamana Blue D+ 60s
Mizuno 3Wood ST200 TS 15* Diamana White D+ 70s
Mizuno 5Wood ST3200 18* Diamana White D+ 70s
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4Iron DGTT120

Mizuno JPX921 TOUR 5-PW, GW DGTT 120
Mizuno ES21 55, 59 DGTT120
Mizuno M-Craft II 33"
Mizuno RS Tour

They have my nippon 120’s on that so called list.  Now do they have my grey sonar grips? Those things are awesome.  Amazing feel.  Never thought I’d like a grip so much.  

Cobra SpeedZone Pars & Stripes 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue S 45.5”

PONDERING: Ventus Red 60x, Aldila RIP 60x

Tour Edge EXS 220 13.5 HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 UST Recoil ES 95 F5 X 

ORDERED: New Level NLU-01 21 Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat

PONDERING: Fourteen DJ4 54

TaylorMade Hi Toe 58/10

Rife Phenom.Z 34”
Mizuno K1 Lo 2021 Blue/Red

I got fit for the 921 Tours a week ago and was pleasantly surprised by how forgiving they were. The head felt very stable on off-center hits, and the trajectory on slight misses were fantastic. Coming from the MP-15, which I've used for the past five years, I was impressed that they felt more solid, more forgiving and more penetrating in flight. I had never hit any in the Modus line, but the 120x was fantastic - a vast improvement for my swing over the KBS 130x I'd used previously.

I also appreciate that Mizuno offers all this stuff gratis. I got them a half-inch long, one degree upright and hard-stepped once, with tour velvet midsize, all of which came at no additional cost.

• Like 1

I was finally able to demo the 921 Forged. Currently play PXG 0211 Modus 120. 

I wanted to try the PZ LZ 5.5 first and that shaft was pretty good. I then tried the Modus 120 I am used to and it hit even better. I really don’t have much more so say because it was the worst experience I have ever had demoing clubs. 

I was at the PGA SS in Gilbert AZ. It was so bad I called and talked to the store manger and Regional GM. That is my local store I always use and the associates have always been great. This particular guy was very bothered that I wanted to demo them. The store was not busy and I was only hitting for about 15 minutes when he said I had one more swing and I had to be done. They had Wilson Range balls to demo with. I asked about the very low spin on the 7 iron and he gave me a very rude comments about me swing. 

Sorry for the rant, wish I could have demo’d them with a better ball because that range ball didn’t do them justice. My 0211’s actually felt better when a good ball is used. 

Anyway, going to demo them at Vans tomorrow. I am after a smaller head than my 0211’s and these look very good. I will say they felt MUCH than the new TM 770’s - much better. 

• Like 1

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 50*/54* Elevate Tour S
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

30 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I wanted to try the PZ LZ 5.5 first and that shaft was pretty good. I then tried the Modus 120 I am used to and it hit even better. I really don’t have much more so say because it was the worst experience I have ever had demoing clubs. 

I was at the PGA SS in Gilbert AZ. It was so bad I called and talked to the store manger and Regional GM. That is my local store I always use and the associates have always been great. This particular guy was very bothered that I wanted to demo them. The store was not busy and I was only hitting for about 15 minutes when he said I had one more swing and I had to be done. They had Wilson Range balls to demo with. I asked about the very low spin on the 7 iron and he gave me a very rude comments about me swing. 

Sorry for the rant, wish I could have demo’d them with a better ball because that range ball didn’t do them justice. My 0211’s actually felt better when a good ball is used. 

Anyway, going to demo them at Vans tomorrow. I am after a smaller head than my 0211’s and these look very good. I will say they felt MUCH than the new TM 770’s - much better. 

I was only able to demo the hot metal pro's and they felt way better than the P770's so I ended up ordering the 921 Forged blind since they would obviously feel and look better. 

COBRA F9 9 Deg - HZRDUS Yellow Smoke 65 

CALLAWAY Mavrik 15 - Aldila 130 MSI Tour White 70
CALLAWAY Mavrik Pro 20 - KBS Tour Hybrid 80 

BRIDGESTONE Tour B X-Hi 22 - KBS Tour Hybrid Proto / BRIDGESTONE J15cb 5-PW - Dynamic Gold 105 

VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 50/54/58 - Hi Rev 2.0 / ODYSSEY Trihot #1

48 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Yeah it sucks when you’re going to spend $1000 help the economy and the sales person out and they are totally into themselves, arrogant. I take a quote from the movie the departed from Leonardo DiCaprio where he was asked how could you tell he was a cop and he says he has that air of scumbag, privilege and a cheap suit LOL, Good luck I’ve got the hot metal pro comment I’ve heard from a couple of guys on here that there was not a whole Lotta difference between that and the forged and because I’m a little older I need the distance and the slight more forgiveness probably

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, mtex22 said:

I was only able to demo the hot metal pro's and they felt way better than the P770's so I ended up ordering the 921 Forged blind since they would obviously feel and look better. 

I think you will be very happy with the Forged. I just see them in my bag soon. They look perfect  at address. 

• Like 2

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 50*/54* Elevate Tour S
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

If I go 921 F i likely buy a new driver as well.  If I go 0311 P I run out of budget.  Hmmmm

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

On 9/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, bubbagump said:

Thanks for the recommendation!  Checked it out, and goodness  with the 921F he was getting around 200-205 carry, 210-215 ish total and the HMB around a 175ish carry and around 180 total.  

Amazing. What are the key differences that make for 30 yards outside the 1 degree loft?

Mizuno 921F lofts Screenshot 2020-09-13 104229.jpg

Mizuno Face Screenshot 2020-09-13 103512.jpg

Mizuno Graphs Screenshot 2020-09-13 103813.jpg

Mizuno HMB Screenshot 2020-09-13 104626.jpg

Edited by Sandles

I found myself to hit 1 to 1.5 club longer on Forged than HM or HMP. 
strange my inconsistent swing does better with Forged. I always played GI irons. 
forged had better dispersion grouping too. 
hard to explain but this was the result I have seen from three different days of demoing (to make sure it wasn’t fluke)

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX800
Titleist Vokey SM7
Bettinardi BB32
Pro V1 low number

4 hours ago, caller said:

By the way

for 7i, launching angle of 18 degree and total spin of 4800 too low?

That's  really low spin for a 7i

Edited by Minarets

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

I have already said this on a previous post but it keeps getting brought up....the 921 forged feel sooo good.  I keep thinking about it as its been a while since my fitting.  Incredible that a club can look this good and feel this good and be that forgiving and long.  All companies make great equipment these days.  I play Mizuno based on feel. 

• Like 2
On 9/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, Olddoncarlo said:

Got it.....thanks so much!

Lots of options but not too many light weight choices for an old geezer like me

They offer the recoil 460 (64g) - too light.

They offer the recoil 95 (playing these in my Srixon Z545's now) - too heavy

They offer the Steelfiber i95 and 110 - both too heavy 

Suppose I wanted Steelfiber i80 or recoil 80?

Could Mizuno get that for me? Obviously, they deal with both companies.

• easyyy unfeatured this topic