Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

After being a dedicated reader of this forum for over 2 years. I finally decided to join up!! LOL Honestly lot's of good discussions with knowledgeable people, helped me make some decisions in the past !! Anyway, I got this info today from TGW ordered HMP on 8/31 expected ship date 9/25. Looking forward to seeing the difference, as this will be my first set of Mizuno's. I've played numerous sets of Miura's, Vega's, TM and Srixon, yes a junkie!!! So, I'm in wait mode like many of you!!! Hope the information helps and look forward to continuing reading all the great info. you each provide!!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Received mine today and were ordered extremely early on.

Need everyone’s help here... which grip do I go with? give me a like for GOLFPRIDE  OR thanks for LAMKIN  

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Genostarrr said:

My local store only had the HM and HMP at the time. I’ll be honest, I def smoked the HM more as opposed to the HMP. But just liked the smaller profile of the HMP. Not sure how things would’ve worked out with the HM on my mediocre attempts to shape a ball. They were just long and straight. What did surprise me was how much more compact The 921 HMs looked compared to its previous models.

I really wish they’d make the Hot Metals with the offset values of the HMP. I’m gaming the 919 HMP and am looking for a bit more forgiveness.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

You are killing me. Demo’d both and love the feel in the 921, but “thought” the 770’s were smaller. Demo’d then a week apart. Decisions... decisions... Because of my 9 hdcp I would go 790 4-6 and 770 7-AW.

BTW, the 770’s look more forgiving than the Forged.. just by looked at the soles. 

Edited by OspreyCI
Added info.
  • Like 1

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 50*/54* Elevate Tour S
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

Mizuno did well with the shiny sole to appear smaller than it is.  

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

29 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

You are killing me. Demo’d both and love the feel in the 921, but “thought” the 770’s were smaller. Demo’d then a week apart. Decisions... decisions... Because of my 9 hdcp I would go 790 4-6 and 770 7-AW.

BTW, the 770’s look more forgiving than the Forged.. just by looked at the soles. 

no - you 100% can go all 770’s 

long iron is stupid easy to hit 

48 minutes ago, mtex22 said:

For those interested here are comparison shots the new P770 vs 921 Forged. 4 iron and PW. P770 on the left. The 921 Forged 4 iron was a touch longer in blade length in the 4 iron but seemed the same or maybe smaller in the PW. Soles were close they really slimmed up the 921 Forged

IMG_7169.jpeg

IMG_7170.jpeg

Thanks for posting these comparo pics! I mean my 919F are longer than my P790’s. Mizuno did a great job with the 921F’s size and shape it seems. Hopefully my set arrives any day now! Pumped and shaping up like the 921F are the clubs of the year IMO. 

TAYLORMADE SIM MAX D/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO CLK 16*/Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 FliHi 20*/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ GP TW BLK

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Blue Ion 47/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

4 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

no - you 100% can go all 770’s 

long iron is stupid easy to hit 

Seriously? Keep in mind I am

coming from PXG 0211’s that feel

too big. 50 balls with the 770 was pretty good though. 

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 50*/54* Elevate Tour S
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

13 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I'd miss the distance and want to bend the 770 2°.  Doubt that would be good. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

I went for my fitting today. Pretty happy with my current i500 retro loft with DG120 but I need to switch to graphite for my elbows. This gives me an excuse to buy new clubs on medical grounds.

Hit a few shots on the shaft optimizer, 90 mph 7 iron with smooth transition. Steelfiber i110 S was on the list. Tried that in the forged and hit one good shot after another in spite of a few dodgy swings. Only had one bad result and that was a horrible toe strike that hooked about 15 yards.

The fitter suggested Tours based on how I hit the forged. I was already nervous because of the lack of forgiveness I had heard about and then I looked down and saw the squarish head, the horror! There is something about a square look iron (e.g. Ping i210) that makes me think it will slice up the ground and I will chunk everything. This makes me pull up and thin everything to compensate and the tour was no different...yep, there are a bunch of gremlins having a 24/7 party between my ears. It still flew remarkably well considering how badly I hit them so I would say they are pretty forgiving.

Ended up with the forged 2 degrees weak, 2.5 degrees flat and i110 stiff, hard stepped. Oh, and the FEEL. I had heard about Mizuno feel bla bla and I was pretty happy with the feel of the i500's in spite of some people saying they're clunky. Well, in the case of Mizuno, the feel is real! They feel amazingly soft and luxurious to hit. Hitting them is an experience that I imagine is similar to getting a sponge bath from Scarlett Johansson while smoking a havana cigar and sipping the finest whiskey (tragically I'm 0 for 3 on that count). Hitting my i500's afterwards felt like I was performing a Happy Gilmore on the side of a building with a piece of rebar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So the tour and the forged are the same composition right. Forged are just a little more forgiving? I just got my 919s but am thinking I want to give the MMT 105TX a try

SIM Max USA Edition First Responders Tensei AV Raw Blue 6TX

Titleist TSI3 15 Tensei AV White 7x

PXG 0341X Gen2 18 (16.5)HZRDUS Smoke
PXG 0317X Gen 2 17 (18.5) Evenflow Hancrafted 6.5

PXG 0317X Gen 2 22 Riptide 6.5

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-P $ Taper 120
Vokey SM8 Blackout 50.08F
Vokey SM8 Blackout 54.10S
Mizuno S-21 58.08 
Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback Superstroke wristlock
TP5 Yellow

The 921F are forged chromoly in the 4i to 7i. The 8i thru GW are forged 1025E. The Tour set is entirely forged 1025E.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

I went for my fitting today. Pretty happy with my current i500 retro loft with DG120 but I need to switch to graphite for my elbows. This gives me an excuse to buy new clubs on medical grounds.

Hit a few shots on the shaft optimizer, 90 mph 7 iron with smooth transition. Steelfiber i110 S was on the list. Tried that in the forged and hit one good shot after another in spite of a few dodgy swings. Only had one bad result and that was a horrible toe strike that hooked about 15 yards.

The fitter suggested Tours based on how I hit the forged. I was already nervous because of the lack of forgiveness I had heard about and then I looked down and saw the squarish head, the horror! There is something about a square look iron (e.g. Ping i210) that makes me think it will slice up the ground and I will chunk everything. This makes me pull up and thin everything to compensate and the tour was no different...yep, there are a bunch of gremlins having a 24/7 party between my ears. It still flew remarkably well considering how badly I hit them so I would say they are pretty forgiving.

Ended up with the forged 2 degrees weak, 2.5 degrees flat and i110 stiff, hard stepped. Oh, and the FEEL. I had heard about Mizuno feel bla bla and I was pretty happy with the feel of the i500's in spite of some people saying they're clunky. Well, in the case of Mizuno, the feel is real! They feel amazingly soft and luxurious to hit. Hitting them is an experience that I imagine is similar to getting a sponge bath from Scarlett Johansson while smoking a havana cigar and sipping the finest whiskey (tragically I'm 0 for 3 on that count). Hitting my i500's afterwards felt like I was performing a Happy Gilmore on the side of a building with a piece of rebar.

I like the "medical grounds" justification.  Will keep that one in the back pocket.  Maybe you could get some of it subsidised on Medicare?  Oh, and don't worry about the Scarlett sponge bath.  Very overrated.  She used far too much bubble bath and wouldn't shut up about how nice Robert Downey Jnr was on the set of "Avengers".  Looking forward to your feedback on the new sticks.  Hit them well.

Edited by beluga99
  • Like 3

G400
917 F2
i25 5w
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie

Those 921 tours are just money. I am so tempted just to order a set sight unseen (in person) and untested. Thats even though I have a set of Cobra CB/MB sitting the bag with the plastic still on the heads waiting to get a shot on the course. The bloody virus is the blocker on getting these on course right now.  I guess i am drinking the muzzy cool aid. 

6 hours ago, JB lefty said:

Those 921 tours are just money. I am so tempted just to order a set sight unseen (in person) and untested. Thats even though I have a set of Cobra CB/MB sitting the bag with the plastic still on the heads waiting to get a shot on the course. The bloody virus is the blocker on getting these on course right now.  I guess i am drinking the muzzy cool aid. 

Get those things out on the course man! ? I feel safer on the golf course than I do going to any store.

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

21 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

What’s the bottom head? Forged?

yes.

hard to tell the difference. 

• Thanks 1
  • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
2 hours ago, reider69 said:

Today is release day kiddies!!!  I predict many of you will receive your sticks today.  My order was delayed two days by my fitter due to him not writing down my address and emailing me later.  I dont anticipate mine until next week.  Post pics when you receive them!

Hope mine come in today. Special ordered early August through the club I'm a member at.

13 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I haven’t hit a 4i in years. Took the 770 4i out and after a couple of bad swing from self inflicted intimidation I decided to stop being a sissy and went after it. Beautiful ball flight, solid distance. Felt like 718 AP2 when I hit the middle. That’s with range balls so I expect it to feel better with a decent ball. Most of the forgiveness it seems was directed toward the bottom of the club. If ur miss is thin I think it would be a good club for you.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Brock123 said:

Where are you seeing that?  I haven't seen or heard anything about the range being mixed.  

They're not really announcing it anywhere.  It seems like they are keeping it a secret for some reason.  I just saw the entire set and it's stamped on the hosel.

If you look at the pics of the 9 iron here you'll see the stamping.  https://www.thehackersparadise.com/mizuno-releasing-jpx-921-irons-full-preview/

2 hours ago, harpua728 said:

I just saw the entire 921 lineup at the store and, surprisingly, the top line of the HMP's looked thinner than the forged.  Anyone else notice this?  I know it's not, so it may have just been an illusion.

I find that a lot of satin chrome irons can look really off in store lighting, especially if still in the plastic. The overhead lights do weird things to the lines for me.  I haven't seen the 921 forged in person yet, but usually try to get a look at a beaten up demo head at address vs. the shiny new and still in plastic ones on the rack, to get a gauge on what it's going to look like outside. 

Mavrik TripleD 9* Tensei Pro White 60tx
TS3 15*  Tensei Pro White 70tx
SIM 5 wood Tensei White 70x
PING G410 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 M4
PING i210 5-PW MMT 105tx
PING Glide 3.0 50, 56ss
TW11 60
Newport 2 

• easyyy unfeatured this topic