2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

FYI for folks on the LZ Blackout. Went back to our club yesterday with a friend to get fit for these and our fitting cart shaft already looks horrible from sliding it in and out of the fitting cart slot. The paint is chipped and you can use your fingernail to scratch it off more in those spots. It does seem more durable than the old finishes but its definitely going to wear from normal use. Glad I switched to chrome and wanted to give the pondering this info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, awtryau89 said:

FYI for folks on the LZ Blackout. Went back to our club yesterday with a friend to get fit for these and our fitting cart shaft already looks horrible from sliding it in and out of the fitting cart slot. The paint is chipped and you can use your fingernail to scratch it off more in those spots. It does seem more durable than the old finishes but its definitely going to wear from normal use. Glad I switched to chrome and wanted to give the pondering this info.

Let’s just hope those are the fitting shafts I mean I saw the ones that I fit for and they had them about a week and I mean they looked like they were almost graphite shaft they looked really durable but if the paint comes off and wear that quickly then I guess I’ll have to talk to somebody about it as a dissatisfied customer, Or a Mizuno swap out shafts if it gets that bad where I’m dumping paint out of my bagOr a Mizuno swap out shafts if it gets that bad where I’m dumping paint out of my bag

Edited by JerryTBall
Spelling

Great question.  I was thinking I was going to go JPX tour 5-GW and Forged for 4 iron.

GW-1 degree strong to make 50 degree

PW-6 standard loft. 46, 42, 38, 34, 30 degrees.

5 iron- 1 degree strong 26 degree.

4 iron forged- 1 degree weak 22 degree.

It looks good on paper, but the distance between my 5 and 4 iron could be as much as 18-20yds.  Im curious what other people suggest though.

Edited by Pesce101010

1 hour ago, snike24 said:

Can anyone advise how they are blending there 921 tours and 921 forged?   Iam debating on switching at the 8 or 7. Also how many degrees weak are you bending the forged, and what else would that effect?Thanks 

Great question.  I was thinking I was going to go JPX tour 5-GW and Forged for 4 iron.

It looks good on paper, but the distance between my 5 and 4 iron could be as much as 18-20yds.  Im curious what other people suggest though.

Got my stock set today. Wanted to confirm they are still measuring to end of shaft and a 1/4” for grip cap if Plus4 or a lot of other grips. 7 iron measures 37.25” to end of grip on Mitchell Club ruler. Clubs look great and will be giving them a go tomorrow! 

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

13 minutes ago, Masse1369 said:

Got my stock set today. Wanted to confirm they are still measuring to end of shaft and a 1/4” for grip cap if Plus4 or a lot of other grips. 7 iron measures 37.25” to end of grip on Mitchell Club ruler. Clubs look great and will be giving them a go tomorrow! 

again...

They use a device called the UN gauge that starts the measurement from the center of the sole to the bottom of the grip cap

2 hours ago, snike24 said:

Can anyone advise how they are blending there 921 tours and 921 forged?   Iam debating on switching at the 8 or 7. Also how many degrees weak are you bending the forged, and what else would that effect?   Thanks 

I just ordered a set of JPX 921 Forged 5-6 and Tours 7-PW with PX LZ 6.0.  These are my first new set of irons in 15 years and are replacing my beloved MP32s.  After 15 years and at 61 years of age it was time to look at newer technology and shafts.  Iron play has always been a strong aspect of my game and I almost always strike the center of the club face, nonetheless due to age and less playing time I had every intention of getting a full set of forged.  However the Tours just felt so much smoother, seemed to cut through the turf better and were easier to hit high, low, draw or fade that I decided to go with them.  Distance was about 10 yards less compared to the Forged, but I am willing to sacrifice a little distance for improved accuracy, and the lofts across the set are still going to be 2* stronger per club than the MP32s they are replacing so I think I am in good shape.  As to where to make the switch that depends on your ball striking ability and choice.

I carry a 20* hybrid and since the Forged 4 iron loft is 21* I saw no reason to get one, so I chose to go with a 5-PW.  When I asked about how to blend the lofts to have consistent gaps my fitter said he would ask the Mizuno representative for his recommendation.  He sent me a picture of Mizuno's recommendation from the specification brochure.  The lofts will be 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41* and 46* for the set.  That makes the Forged 5 and 6 1* and 2* weaker than standard and the Tour 7-9 1* stronger than standard with a consistent 4* gap in the 5-9 irons and the PW remains unchanged at 46* (5* gap from the 9).  So once you decide on the make-up of the set I would go with the recommendations made by Mizuno.  The page the fitter sent me showed several different possible combinations and the lofts they recommended for each.  Bending the lofts weaker will increase bounce by the same amount while conversely bending them stronger will decrease bounce by the same amount.  In general a 1*-2* change in bounce shouldn't be detectable by the majority of golfers.  

After they come in and I get a few rounds under my belt I will post pictures and give a review based on my experience.

Edited by mizuno

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

Well just tried a half set of both the 921 Forged and Tour and here I am, eating my own words. I was thoroughly impressed with both of them, so much that I put them at the top of my list to replace my P760’s. I also tried out a half set of P770’s and they just didn’t do it for me, they felt hard off the face, turf interaction was not as smooth as my P760’s and the combination of the longer blade length and offset in the longer irons just didn’t suit my eye. 
But back to the 921’s, the forged felt surprisingly good for forged chromoly, much better than I was expecting. The Tour felt exactly how I was expecting it, soft and solid with a nice feeling of only what I could describe as "extra weight" at impact. What really sold me with the Forged was the massive increase in ball speed, obviously due to the lofts but I was also seeing a nice high ball flight to help supplement the stopping power, I will have no issues holding greens with these. Consistency throughout both the forged and tour was second to none, no problems with front to back dispersion and to be honest with you the Forged just wanted to go straight. I play a natural draw and tend to overcook it occasionally but with the forged I didn’t even have to worry about it, does this mean they’re not as workable?...possibly...but it didn’t bother me one bit. I’m never one to chase distance but if I can have that extra few yards without sacrificing stopping power or consistency, sign me up! I had the 919 Tour/Forged combo last year and I can safely say that these are a massive improvement in every single category for me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

again...

They use a device called the UN gauge that starts the measurement from the center of the sole to the bottom of the grip cap

This is also how a bench ruler works. 

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

10 hours ago, Minarets said:

I took a pic of the gap wedge for each set.  I knew some of you were Interested in what the gap wedge would look like. Look like there are 3 different gap wedges. 1 for the tour, 1 for the forged and the same for both HM sets. 

D0FAC512-2EAE-4880-B2D1-4B608DE0CF25.jpeg

28962FCD-6C2A-41B9-9C52-F80212741F21.jpeg

52D2B7C4-DAEC-48B2-8119-938BC8B1B9F3.jpeg

B5B4D371-09C2-4694-A280-2534DF567AA2.jpeg

I saw the GW for the HMP and HM’s .  Very much improved over 2019 wedges. Much smaller and less round. A very decent transition from the PW.  For the Tours and the Forged the GW’s are Exactly matching. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

10 hours ago, cozilla said:

Here are my HMPs 4-PW. Just picked them up from my fitter!

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

Stunning 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I went and tried these out last weekend to compare the Forged and the HMP for a top of the bag iron or whatever you want to call it. I went with the forged bent a degree strong to 20* to cover the gap between my 24* 4 iron and 15* 3 wood. I have a MMC 3 Fli Hi but just don’t get along well with wide soles on irons. The HMP would be a good driving type iron but I off the ground just wouldn’t work for me. I think it’s kind of a flihi type iron. Feels and looks clunky. Forged felt like a Mizuno is supposed to feel HMP a lot firmer as expected.  

I am so confused..   a few years ago Mizuno always had their standard length 1/4 inch shorter than other brands.  They changed that and now are standard to everyone else correct?  My 900 forged are 3/4 inch over old Mizuno standard.  I purchased the 921 forged 1/4 over assuming I would be a 1/4 inch less than what I play now.  Am I right or have things changed again?

30 minutes ago, reider69 said:

I used the Mizuno chat feature and they told me based on my order date I should expect a October 2nd ship date.  Very friendly and helpful customer service.  I am impressed.

What was your order date?

It sounds like they're telling everyone 3-4 weeks.  Whether or not that's accurate....who knows.

Edited by harpua728

12 minutes ago, reider69 said:

I am so confused..   a few years ago Mizuno always had their standard length 1/4 inch shorter than other brands.  They changed that and now are standard to everyone else correct?  My 900 forged are 3/4 inch over old Mizuno standard.  I purchased the 921 forged 1/4 over assuming I would be a 1/4 inch less than what I play now.  Am I right or have things changed again?

They will measure 37.5 like mine did 

• Thanks 1

Driver: M2, Ventus black

3w: Mizuno st 200, tense I blue

Hybrid: Mizuno clk 19

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 tours

wedges: Bettinardi HLX 3.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron H19

14 hours ago, Pesce101010 said:

I did something somewhat similar in my set. I went 6-PW standard, and GW 1 degree strong to 50* in the Tours and then I went with the forged for the 4 and 5 irons but adjusted them so they fit the same loft gapping of 4 degrees. 

I'm still waiting on mine from Mizuno, but I'm also interested to see what the difference in distance will be right at that transition point from Tour to Forged. 

2 hours ago, IvanDrago said:

They will measure 37.5 like mine did 

The 900 forged were 36.75 on a 7 iron.  That means these will be the exact length of my old irons.  My fitter ordered the A weight heads.  I think this could be an issue especially with swing weight.  I do not want swing weight to be over D-3.  I wonder if I should change order to standard length.

27 minutes ago, reider69 said:

The 900 forged were 36.75 on a 7 iron.  That means these will be the exact length of my old irons.  My fitter ordered the A weight heads.  I think this could be an issue especially with swing weight.  I do not want swing weight to be over D-3.  I wonder if I should change order to standard length.

They will be 1/2” over compared to Titleist Callaway and TaylorMade irons

They will be 1/2” over compared to MP-18 series and 1/4” over compared to the MP-20 series and JPX921

18 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

They will be 1/2” over compared to Titleist Callaway and TaylorMade irons

They will be 1/2” over compared to MP-18 series and 1/4” over compared to the MP-20 series and JPX921

Am I correct that the mp 18 series was 1/4 longer than the jpx 900 series and the MP 4 series?  So Mizuno has added 1/2 inch length to standard in the last 4 to 5 years?

Update: 

-fitter ordered my a set of 921 F 4-PW w/ PXLZ "Blackout" 5.5 shafts (as soon as Mizuno would take custom orders)

-sample fitted clubs provided to my builder for lie and length (off my P790 build which was off my 919Forged Tour Combo set build)

-using 7iron to MOI match at my custom lengths

-cel-parts custom white ferrules/silver and black bands, and matching pure grips ready

-awaiting the exciting call/text to come get them

PS: Decided to add a Accra TZ6 M4 (tipped 1") to my ST190 3TS fairway as well while waiting, to battle the 2CLK hybrid for the second spot in the bag. Looking for 10yards average carry over the 2CLK Hybrid which has been great this season and very consistent off tee or deck. Playing some NorthEast/Midwest courses in mid Oct so just need a little more carry vs my Arizona weekly rounds on these "tarmac" like fairways where the 2CLk shines and the gap is filled with roll out.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

5 hours ago, reider69 said:

I used the Mizuno chat feature and they told me based on my order date I should expect a October 2nd ship date.  Very friendly and helpful customer service.  I am impressed.

When did you order? 

Taylormade (17) M2, AD GP-6S
Taylormade SIM 3W AD DI-7S
Taylormade M5 Hybrid 17* Tensi 85
910 Hybrid 22* Whiteboard S
Mizuno MP18 MMC 5-GW Nippon Modus 120s
Volkey SM5 56 60
Scotty 34in Futura

• easyyy unfeatured this topic