Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

43 minutes ago, sublimegolf said:

Quite frustrating, ordered 921F on 9/9 from Golf Galaxy, eta given was 9/19. After sending 7-8 email without a response, finally told  yesterday they're shipping today. Fingers crossed...

Guess I’ll call my Callaway fitting center tomorrow to see what’s up.  I ordered HMPs on 9/9.   🙏

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

I received my 921T today and got them on an indoor launch monitor tonight for about an hour. Coming from MP-15, I was really pleased with how much more forgiving they were. I think I gained a few yards with each club, but likely more due to a better strike and an improved shaft for my swing (Modus 120 vs KBS Tour).

I was surprised that the fitter suggested hard stepping them, as he said they will then play true to flex when ordered +0.50”, but they certainly felt right when I was hitting them this evening. 

Question: on the spec sheet it said swingweight was “optimal” or something along those lines, rather than the actual swing weight. Anyone know what that means?

EE47119F-2573-48FB-A3BA-A064FB560E2C.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PatScan said:

I received my 921T today and got them on an indoor launch monitor tonight for about an hour. Coming from MP-15, I was really pleased with how much more forgiving they were. I think I gained a few yards with each club, but likely more due to a better strike and an improved shaft for my swing (Modus 120 vs KBS Tour).

I was surprised that the fitter suggested hard stepping them, as he said they will then play true to flex when ordered +0.50”, but they certainly felt right when I was hitting them this evening. 

Question: on the spec sheet it said swingweight was “optimal” or something along those lines, rather than the actual swing weight. Anyone know what that means?

IIRC, "optimal" means that they hit the SW thats in the spec sheet, which is D2 or D3 for Mizuno I believe.

Congrats on the irons btw, wish I had the game for these

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

11 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I ordered 9/7 and they shipped yesterday.  So thats probably about right.  I was told 3-4 weeks and it was right at 3. 

Ordered August 10 and mine shipped yesterday, but was told that anything custom was put to the back of the que and plug and play sets were all moved forward.

1 hour ago, therealjonzone said:

Ordered August 10 and mine shipped yesterday, but was told that anything custom was put to the back of the que and plug and play sets were all moved forward.

Well that doesn't seem right. Assuming there aren’t supply issues, Mizuno should fulfill requests in the order they were received regardless of what the customer orders. 

Edited by Jeffcs
JS
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, PatScan said:

Nice irons, and even better headcover.

Just to add another data point, my custom 921 Tour Order placed on 9/4 (through DD) shipped yesterday from DD Oregon on 9/30, should arrive tomorrow!

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

8 hours ago, IvanDrago said:

Loving the tours a lot more than the forged.

i find them easier to hit strangely.

Before I went to my fitting my intention was to get a complete set of the forged simply because as I get older and I was playing less I assumed I needed the extra forgiveness.  After hitting the tours I came to the same conclusion, they were sufficiently forgiving for my swing and they felt much better going through the turf compared to the forged.  Although the tours were several yards shorter than the forged the ability to work the ball high, low, left and right and a tighter dispersion pattern more than made up for what to me was a negligible difference in distance.  Ultimately, I went with a combo set of 5-6 forged and 7-PW tour.  Expected delivery date is 10/9 and I can hardly wait.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

26 minutes ago, mizuno said:

Before I went to my fitting my intention was to get a complete set of the forged simply because as I get older and I was playing less I assumed I needed the extra forgiveness.  After hitting the tours I came to the same conclusion, they were sufficiently forgiving for my swing and they felt much better going through the turf compared to the forged.  Although the tours were several yards shorter than the forged the ability to work the ball high, low, left and right and a tighter dispersion pattern more than made up for what to me was a negligible difference in distance.  Ultimately, I went with a combo set of 5-6 forged and 7-PW tour.  Expected delivery date is 10/9 and I can hardly wait.

Same split I’m going for but adding a 4 iron.

i was also fitted into c-taper 130x. Never have I been fitted for something that heavy and stiff before but they were money on the day. Thought I was having a good swing day but have since taken the demo 7 on the course and it’s still working 🙏🏽

• Like 1

Not able to play again but I went to the range, well would not been able to play anyways they’ve got the seniors in town for the sas Championship and they are using our course for guys to qualify that aren’t automatically allowed to play for lack of a better word. Anyways some of those tour players saw me hitting and they were like wow you’re really hitting those irons good and I’m like yes the new hot metal pro I said I’ve never even hit these irons until technically today, and they seem just so easy to hit, like I was saying maybe The little extra weight in the loading zone steel shaft over the 50 g graphite might be slow in my swing down a little bit enough to change my tempo I guess but I went through the whole bag and I was just amazed how easy it was to hit these and today was off of grass so it was even better. And on a sidenote I thought my chipping was so good with the CBX2 wedges from Cleveland, I put the new rip core in the bag, it’s same club in the ripcore as the CBX and I don’t think I missed one chip from any lie and I mean stop around the hole, unreal oh yeah my last shot with my nine iron from 110 yards it was just a choke down punch, hole out lol!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Left Rough said:

Just to add another data point, my custom 921 Tour Order placed on 9/4 (through DD) shipped yesterday from DD Oregon on 9/30, should arrive tomorrow!

DD order placed on the 3rd.  Will be delivered to Sweet Grass, MT on Monday.  Then I need to get a local company to retrieve them for me.  Won't see them for two weeks 😢

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

7 minutes ago, JerryTBall said:

Not able to play again but I went to the range, well would not been able to play anyways they’ve got the seniors in town for the sas Championship and they are using our course for guys to qualify that aren’t automatically allowed to play for lack of a better word. Anyways some of those tour players saw me hitting and they were like wow you’re really hitting those irons good and I’m like yes the new hot metal pro I said I’ve never even hit these irons until technically today, and they seem just so easy to hit, like I was saying maybe The little extra weight in the loading zone steel shaft over the 50 g graphite might be slow in my swing down a little bit enough to change my tempo I guess but I went through the whole bag and I was just amazed how easy it was to hit these and today was off of grass so it was even better. And on a sidenote I thought my chipping was so good with the CBX2 wedges from Cleveland, I put the new rip core in the bag, it’s same club in the ripcore as the CBX and I don’t think I missed one chip from any lie and I mean stop around the hole, unreal oh yeah my last shot with my nine iron from 110 yards it was just a choke down punch, hole out lol!

Do you like the zip core over the CBX2? I bought 56* and 60* CBX2’s a few months ago, and although their really easy to hit, I don’t care for the sound. I’ve heard the zip cores are better.

12 minutes ago, Jeffcs said:

Do you like the zip core over the CBX2? I bought 56* and 60* CBX2’s a few months ago, and although their really easy to hit, I don’t care for the sound. I’ve heard the zip cores are better.

I have the 54 and the 58 in both models and I did not think there was another wedge including the ping glide that could stand up to my CBX but after today I’m gonna have to say the zip core they’re more compact and the 58 to me which I normally don’t ship with was just as good shipping as the 50 for the CBX 58 seems a little clumsy when I chip with it for lack of a better word but I was impressed how well it did in the 2 inch Bermuda rough that I was chipping out of, I mean the ball was only half visible and the grass was kind of wet so I’m leaning now on the zip core. I’m probably not gonna hit them with a full shot until tomorrow,  right now I’ve only chipped around the green with them from 5 yards to 20 yards out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyb0rg said:

For those who have custom ordered shorter than standard lengths, are the swingweights maintained? Have you gotten them checked?

My expectation is that they can build a D2 @ -.50" but the online help said it'll likely be a C9-D0.

You need a favor to get the swing weights "balls on". Anything length under standard is a challenge.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

8 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

These in the bag photos are looking better than I initially thought.  The HMP are giving me Srixon 565 vibes with the black in the cavity. 

Heres another quick one.  Ill get a better one tomorrow. 

DDD86DDD-CE60-44D6-A72D-2B3A1277B7A7.jpeg

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

4 hours ago, JerryTBall said:

1) what?

2) this might be the most WRX thing I’ve ever read. 

Kudos.  

Edited by onafriday
  • Haha 4

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura 5.5 Weld Neck by Slighter

8 minutes ago, onafriday said:

1) what?

2) this might be the most WRX thing I’ve ever read. 

Kudos.  

Lol Not sure how to respond to that! Um was this a complement or what? would you like an answer to a number one? Just want to add a note, I guess it’s true if you play with a bunch of hacks it may rub off on you because when I was on the range today everybody around me in line was just solid that’s when I determined those guys are tour pros because one guy I recognized I think it was Dick mast, so I’m like I’m not hitting any bad balls out here today, And I didn’t LOL

Edited by JerryTBall

21 hours ago, Jeffcs said:

Well that doesn't seem right. Assuming there aren’t supply issues, Mizuno should fulfill requests in the order they were received regardless of what the customer orders. 

Do you want them fast, right, cheap. Pick any two (and we know one of those is already taken). 😉 I would want my custom order to be made properly over speed. (Especially since all they are going to do is sit in a closet until spring up here in New England soon). 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Took my HMP irons out for 18 yesterday. No warm up, pulled the plastic off and away we went, call me crazy, but for me its the only way to test clubs. Have played player MB irons throughout all my other sets, this is my first set of Mizuno irons. To say these are bullets may be an understatement...dispersion was top shelf, turf interaction solid, btw play in Florida tight fairways. Have Project X 6.5 in these. My buddy hit them against his P790 and was a minimum of 10 yards longer. My curve is going to be the crazy distance, don't want to be "that" guy but 200 yard par 3's with 6 iron is a pretty nice confidence boost, just know hitting the 4 iron is longer than the 6 lol... I hope this information helps...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cyb0rg said:

For those who have custom ordered shorter than standard lengths, are the swingweights maintained? Have you gotten them checked?

My expectation is that they can build a D2 @ -.50" but the online help said it'll likely be a C9-D0.

I would send them back if they came back that far off. 

Taylormade (17) M2, AD GP-6S
Taylormade SIM 3W AD DI-7S
Taylormade M5 Hybrid 17* Tensi 85
910 Hybrid 22* Whiteboard S
Mizuno MP18 MMC 5-GW Nippon Modus 120s
Volkey SM5 56 60
Scotty 34in Futura

Ordered yesterday from Golftown. Was told they could not predict shipping dates, but provided a range of 4-8 weeks. 

I was observing them place the order in their system, and the manufacturer drop down menu said "Mizuno *Delays*". I didnt see the "delays" notice next to anyone else, but it might have been there.

Also I would note that I spec'd the bb&fco ferrules, and was charged $7 per club for the privilege. That's canadian dollars, but still, I didnt think i would be paying more than just buying them direct from bb&f, particularly since i was already owed plain ferrules from Mizuno. Oh well