Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

On 9/23/2020 at 6:28 AM, Aucaveman said:

Has anybody compared the t200/300 to the 921s hm or hmp? I had 919 forged and hated them. I also had the t300 for a couple weeks And liked them but had to send them back for a couple reasons. Trying to decide to wait on the 921 or get t200 or 300s. 

Why do you hate them? What’s wrong with them? I just got fitted and was given a choice between the p790 and the 921 hmp and i chose the pro. My mistake is that i didnt even try to check the forged. Hopefully the hmp works better for me. 

43 minutes ago, mixedguy said:

Taking my 921F for a spin this afternoon with @mrhicksta he's gaming his for the first time as well so we'll see how it goes.  

01BD0EDD-0828-41D6-A0A2-7ADC90BB0EC2.jpeg

Your bag looks very similar to my (potential bag), G410 woods, Evnroll putter, SM8.  The 921F are on my short list.  Hit the HM, HMP, and Forged today.  The shape of the HM short irons was nicer than expected but the mid to long irons were unplayable for me b/c of the really wide sole and the huge cavity sticking out of the back.  I didn't like shape of the HMP at address, they looked round to me, and i found the PX Onyx steel shafts weird, i thought they were graphite.  I liked the Forged the best, but was a little surprised to see how much cavity was visible at address in the long and mid irons.  Will demo the Forged w Modus 105 and then make the call... 

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

1 hour ago, sublime_e2000 said:

Why do you hate them? What’s wrong with them? I just got fitted and was given a choice between the p790 and the 921 hmp and i chose the pro. My mistake is that i didnt even try to check the forged. Hopefully the hmp works better for me. 

basically when I went through my fitting the fitter said I could play either the tours or the forged. He talked me into the forged because of the forgiveness of them. I never cared for the turf interaction and I never could dial in the scoring irons. Some I felt like I hit great and would be short and some I felt like I missed and would be long. In hindsight, I shoulda went tours. Normally I’d say I like more of a players iron but I recently played the t300 and liked it immensely. Easy to elevate and long. Idc about the lofts. I hit the t300s higher than what I’m used to. My buddy plays the hmps and I like those too. Currently using my sons 765s and last two rounds was under par. So idk? Prob just neurotic. 😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jjl said:

Your bag looks very similar to my (potential bag), G410 woods, Evnroll putter, SM8.  The 921F are on my short list.  Hit the HM, HMP, and Forged today.  The shape of the HM short irons was nicer than expected but the mid to long irons were unplayable for me b/c of the really wide sole and the huge cavity sticking out of the back.  I didn't like shape of the HMP at address, they looked round to me, and i found the PX Onyx steel shafts weird, i thought they were graphite.  I liked the Forged the best, but was a little surprised to see how much cavity was visible at address in the long and mid irons.  Will demo the Forged w Modus 105 and then make the call... 

I understand not liking the large back cavity at address, but why do you find the wide soles unplayable?

2 hours ago, harpua728 said:

I understand not liking the large back cavity at address, but why do you find the wide soles unplayable?

I can barely see the back cavity on the 5 iron at address in the HMP 921.  In the 921 Forged still barely. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

24 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

I can barely see the back cavity on the 5 iron at address in the HMP 921.  In the 921 Forged still barely. 

Opposite experience for me. I found the back bulge quite noticeable on the 7i forged. I read a lot of comments on here and on youtube about how sleek and slim it was so I was expecting it to look more compact. 

Irons came in today.  Took to the range in 55 degree weather.  Sound, feel and distance go to the 921's but my 900s look better imo.  Topline on the 900s is thinner and you can't see back of club in 7-5 iron.  921s were fitted to me with the right shaft and length so looking forward to improving my game with them.  900s will still be in garage.....not selling them yet.

20201002_181518.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reider69 said:

Irons came in today.  Took to the range in 55 degree weather.  Sound, feel and distance go to the 921's but my 900s look better imo.  Topline on the 900s is thinner and you can't see back of club in 7-5 iron.  921s were fitted to me with the right shaft and length so looking forward to improving my game with them.  900s will still be in garage.....not selling them yet.

20201002_181518.jpg

I like my HM pro’s so much I’m actually thinking of trading my Srixon z585’s 5-Gap for 7-pw in forged for future combo option but 4 forged irons run $750 so still 350 after trade, damn! May just hold out for new titlest tsi 2 driver with high end shaft.

2 hours ago, Jeffcs said:

I had the same impression but then again I came from Taylormade SLDR’s so to my eye most of newer sets look thinner to me. 

I'm also currently playing SLDR's, I saw more of the back of the club in the 921F than in my SLDR in the 4-6 irons... at least to my eye.  Still love the SLDR's, wish there more good looking player's cast cavity back irons on the market like the SLDR.  

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

9 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

basically when I went through my fitting the fitter said I could play either the tours or the forged. He talked me into the forged because of the forgiveness of them. I never cared for the turf interaction and I never could dial in the scoring irons. Some I felt like I hit great and would be short and some I felt like I missed and would be long. In hindsight, I shoulda went tours. Normally I’d say I like more of a players iron but I recently played the t300 and liked it immensely. Easy to elevate and long. Idc about the lofts. I hit the t300s higher than what I’m used to. My buddy plays the hmps and I like those too. Currently using my sons 765s and last two rounds was under par. So idk? Prob just neurotic. 😂

Lol. I get what you mean. I left my pride at the door thats why i went to hmp. Its longer unlike the i200 when sometimes i feel that it was a good shot but i still end up short. With th hmp i can just do an easy swing and the carry is much longer. Hopefully i can increase my gir% with this. 2 weeks to go before i get the clubs

• Like 1

Any relief on the leading edge on the tour’s or classic mizuno sharp?

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

I enjoyed reading in the last few pages about those that had a similar 921 Tour / Forged fitting experience to me.

Did not even consider the 921 Tour before my fitting. Asumed I needed the "help" that I expected the Forged to offer. 

Sure the Forged went a bit further but distance dispersion was not great. Tour has plenty of forgiveness and was ridiclously consistent. 

Bag appeal is off the charts too. Plenty of queestions at the club since they went in the bag.

• Like 2

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

7 hours ago, jjl said:

I'm also currently playing SLDR's, I saw more of the back of the club in the 921F than in my SLDR in the 4-6 irons... at least to my eye.  Still love the SLDR's, wish there more good looking player's cast cavity back irons on the market like the SLDR.  

Wow, small world 🙂 I agree! Love the look of the SLDR’s. Arguably one of the best looking game improvement irons made in the last decade. That’s ultimately why I went with HMP’s. 

18 hours ago, mixedguy said:

Taking my 921F for a spin this afternoon with @mrhicksta he's gaming his for the first time as well so we'll see how it goes.  

01BD0EDD-0828-41D6-A0A2-7ADC90BB0EC2.jpeg

How did you like the Forged on the course?  Feedback please.  

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

The soles of the 921F look thicker than the 919's. Can anyone confirm?

Cobra King F9 Speedback 10.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 6s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 14.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 17* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Mizuno JPX 921 HMP 4-6 KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 7-G KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Titleist Vokey SM8 55.08 D

Titleist Vokey SM8 60.06 K 

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34'

Taylormade Tour Response Striped

Mizuno Pro Cart Bag - Staff

My blue box arrived this morning. 921F 5-g, Modus 105s, 1 degree weak.

They remind me a lot of 785s except a little thicker. Almost like the 585 and 785 had a baby and the kid look more like the prettier parent. I will get them out tomorrow.

Specs are not perfect. Lengths are between spot on of what I was expecting to +1/8. Swing weights d2 on the 5, 6-8 are right around d3, 9 and w are d4 and gap is d3. I usually build all my own clubs so it’s nothing I can’t fix. Haven’t checked the lofts and lies yet.

I have added comparison pics of them and Ping i25 7 irons for those interested in blade length. I’ve read a couple reviews that said they felt like they were a little long. Now it makes sense to me why I didn’t thing so.

single pic is the 5 iron at address

35DE3EFB-AD80-4026-A243-30EEF71D0BEB.jpeg

6752762C-A551-4FF3-A58C-0F5A264DCE72.jpeg

B2E43596-9082-4F87-B1F7-CE0550316281.jpeg

E9284FDC-187C-4C01-B240-3F8192575D95.jpeg

• Like 1

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B KBS 120
Bettinardi BB-28SB

Mine were ordered on Sep 4, arrived yesterday Oct 2.

I sold my combo 919 Tour/Forged (and went to the old backup 60s) because I should have gone all 919 Tours, but love the look of these 921s.  I love the look  (save for the shiny strip in the middle), but the size, shape and sole width fit my eye perfectly.  Can't wait to get these in play!

1.jpg.f29e487b61c9221fb2f30df87962a3ad.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

Hit my 921 forged again today.  Feel is so good for a players distance iron!  Another observation is that the ball speed coming off the 7-5(chromoly) irons is impressive.  These bad boys make the ball move.  Going to play a few rounds next week so will get a feeling on distances. I played my 900 forged for over 4 years and knew exactly what each club could do.  I have the 921s bent to exact lofts so it will be interesting if they are truly longer.  Some comparison photos.  900 forged on the left.

20201003_150046.jpg.f5c97409062d78e48d2e12a4012a9598.jpg20201003_145752.jpg.d8b794e86806a316bd916251cb2a2853.jpg

12 hours ago, jjl said:

How did you like the Forged on the course?  Feedback please.  

I liked them a lot shot 75 but something felt off.  Had them measured and they were 3/4 over standard and the swing weights were D5/6.  I got them cut to industry standard and they are all D2/3 now which is what I’m use to.  Playing tomorrow morning so we’ll see.  

1 hour ago, mixedguy said:

I liked them a lot shot 75 but something felt off.  Had them measured and they were 3/4 over standard and the swing weights were D5/6.  I got them cut to industry standard and they are all D2/3 now which is what I’m use to.  Playing tomorrow morning so we’ll see.  

That’s very disappointing! Did you have loft and lie angles checked?

On 10/2/2020 at 4:53 PM, Aucaveman said:

I have a T100s/T200 black combo-5-7 T200 8-P T100S and 921 HM/HMP combo 5-6 HM/7-G HMP. 

Previous set was T300. 

i have several rounds in with the Titleist and like them very much.  They are not as long as the T300-obviously they aren’t meant to be.  But the feel/sound and turf interaction are 100% better and thats what I was looking for.  The T100s end are among the best feeling irons Ive hit.  And they feel great getting in and out of the grass. 

JPX, I only have one 9 hole quick practice round in.  I cant provide any distance thoughts yet, as I'm struggling with clean contact with them.  

i tend to catch my iron shots a little fat—working on that—and I finding these irons even in the GI Category have much more of a sharp leading edge than the T100s/200.  

So at this point the Titleist have the edge.  But I’ll get more on course time with the Mizunos this week. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

6 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I have a T100s/T200 black combo-5-7 T200 8-P T100S and 921 HM/HMP combo 5-6 HM/7-G HMP. 

Previous set was T300. 

i have several rounds in with the Titleist and like them very much.  They are not as long as the T300-obviously they aren’t meant to be.  But the feel/sound and turf interaction are 100% better and thats what I was looking for.  The T100s end are among the best feeling irons Ive hit.  And they feel great getting in and out of the grass. 

JPX, I only have one 9 hole quick practice round in.  I cant provide any distance thoughts yet, as I'm struggling with clean contact with them.  

i tend to catch my iron shots a little fat—working on that—and I finding these irons even in the GI Category have much more of a sharp leading edge than the T100s/200.  

So at this point the Titleist have the edge.  But I’ll get more on course time with the Mizunos this week. 

very interesting about the t100 and t200s. Originally that’s what I was going to get but after seeing all the reviews about the t300s being the most forgiving clubs ever And how easy they are to elevate, I changed my mind. Maybe I’ll revisit the t200s. Right now I’m between the T200, t300, and 921 hm or hmps. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mixedguy said:

It’s surprising to read posts about the custom mizunos arent done to soecs as ordered. This us weird

1 hour ago, sublime_e2000 said:

It’s surprising to read posts about the custom mizunos arent done to soecs as ordered. This us weird

My 6, 7, and 9 were exactly 1/8” over and around a point high on swingweight. Without pulling them apart to find out for sure I am guessing shafts were cut to length and those 3 needed tip weights to get to the correct swing weight. Once they added tip weights they didn’t correct the length Or factor it into the swingweight. Cutting the 1/8 off made them really close on all specs.

I don’t know when but mizuno has also switched to a thin white almost cellophane type grip tape. 

Bettinardi BB-28SB

42 minutes ago, Smokey227 said:

My 6, 7, and 9 were exactly 1/8” over and around a point high on swingweight. Without pulling them apart to find out for sure I am guessing shafts were cut to length and those 3 needed tip weights to get to the correct swing weight. Once they added tip weights they didn’t correct the length Or factor it into the swingweight. Cutting the 1/8 off made them really close on all specs.

I don’t know when but mizuno has also switched to a thin white almost cellophane type grip tape. 

they were probably standard length, and you may have not known that Mizuno now reports standard length but actually are 1/4” longer because of how they measure. 
that being said, if you’re worried about 1/8” then you have bigger issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

they were probably standard length, and you may have not known that Mizuno now reports standard length but actually are 1/4” longer because of how they measure. 
that being said, if you’re worried about 1/8” then you have bigger issues.

7 iron listed at 37. Knew they would come in @ 37 1/4. It was 37 3/8. Same with the 6 and 9.

i know I have issues. Don’t try to hide it. Just trying to put the info out there for those that are as crazy as me. 

d3 is already heavy for swing weight for me as I have been plying pings for a long time. The extra length turned them into d4 which was just a little heavy for me. I will probably cut mine down to 37 including the grip eventually but wanted to try them stock specs first. 

• Like 1

Bettinardi BB-28SB