Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

45 minutes ago, Smokey227 said:

7 iron listed at 37. Knew they would come in @ 37 1/4. It was 37 3/8. Same with the 6 and 9.

i know I have issues. Don’t try to hide it. Just trying to put the info out there for those that are as crazy as me. 

d3 is already heavy for swing weight for me as I have been plying pings for a long time. The extra length turned them into d4 which was just a little heavy for me. I will probably cut mine down to 37 including the grip eventually but wanted to try them stock specs first. 

That should land you right at D0 then if you’re using standard grips.

Id go 1/4” and then give them a shot, as you don’t want them to be unplayable

1 hour ago, Golf10 said:

Mine were off.  They also sent the wrong model on my 4 iron (mixed set).  That being said I love the irons.  Great clubs.

I ordered the 919 Tours 1/2" over and they came standard length, and the Align Grips had to be re-gripped as they were suffering from scoliosis.  I then ordered my MP-20 MMC 1/2" with NDMC black/black grips, and they came almost an inch over, with NDMC black/white grips.  Easy fix by my golf shop, but the QC seems a little off.  I am not suprised by these comments. 

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

9 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

very interesting about the t100 and t200s. Originally that’s what I was going to get but after seeing all the reviews about the t300s being the most forgiving clubs ever And how easy they are to elevate, I changed my mind. Maybe I’ll revisit the t200s. Right now I’m between the T200, t300, and 921 hm or hmps. 

Don’t get me wrong the T300 are great clubs. The won the Most Wanted GI Iron Category over on spy site.   

i just wanted to try an iron with s little less bounce in the sole snd that was a but more on the softer/quiet side.  

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Anyone have feedback comparing the Ping i500 to the HM Tours? I am currently in the i500's and looking at alternatives. Not a fan of the hollow sound and feel.

I have not had a chance to hit the HM Tours yet so looking for feedback. 

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

2 minutes ago, KT35 said:

I orderd on 9/7 its now 10/5 and still no irons. At this point I"m ready to tell them to cancel the order. 

I ordered 8/24. Took about that same time, delivered 9/26.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

18 minutes ago, KT35 said:

I orderd on 9/7 its now 10/5 and still no irons. At this point I"m ready to tell them to cancel the order. 

A simple reminder of what you posted....

On 9/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, KT35 said:

Also I was told mine would not ship until the first week of October. 

This week is still considered the 1st week of Oct. Generally businesses consider the 1st "full" business week of a month the "1st week". Last week only had 2 days for Oct and really isn't considered "the 1st week."

Patience. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

11 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

This is what I was worried about when I heard that they were trying to clear their order backlog. Doing it right is more important than doing it fast.

It wouldn't be surprised to learn that the backlog is a contributing factor, but as much as I've enjoyed the Mizuno irons I've had, their track record over the years of uneven custom builds isn't great.

I can’t count how many custom mizuno iron sets I have ordered in the last 7-8 years, never had an issue with specs, and most have been checked by my guy.

It surely happens, but been good for me

• Like 2

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

27 minutes ago, Micrys2 said:

Don’t know if this has been asked before but for those that have P790, or PXG  311P how does the 921F compare in distance, desperation, and forgiveness to these two?

My buddy did a fitting 2 weeks ago and hit both the 921F and the P790 and said the mizuno was more forgiving, better dispersion (for him), but not as long. The p790 was clearly longer, but he didn't like the feel and the sound (he described it as a bit clicky). He ended up going with a titlest set (t2 or 300, don't remember!)

Edited by zetazeta

13 hours ago, beluga99 said:

I ordered the 919 Tours 1/2" over and they came standard length, and the Align Grips had to be re-gripped as they were suffering from scoliosis.  I then ordered my MP-20 MMC 1/2" with NDMC black/black grips, and they came almost an inch over, with NDMC black/white grips.  Easy fix by my golf shop, but the QC seems a little off.  I am not suprised by these comments. 

Did your shop check swing weights too? +1/2" clubs should have gotten B-weight heads to maintain the stock swing weight, but if you got sent standard length, I'd question whether they used the right heads or not. 

Placed my order 10/3 for 921 tour's +.5", I called customer service and was told orders are back to standard turn around time and could expect them in 2-3 weeks. I was split between these and the TM P7 MC irons but was told I wouldn't receive the TM's until December or January for custom orders so I went with the Mizzy's. Keeping an eye on this thread and will provide updates as I wait as well.

• Like 1

I finally got my new set of 921T out on the course yesterday. They're 1/2" long, one degree upright, with B weight heads and Modus 120x, hard-stepped.

They exceeded my expectations in the areas of looks, feel and forgiveness. I feel like the club head is far more stable at impact as compared to my MP-15, so that slight mishits still traveled as true and as high as a well-struck shot.

I think the sole and design also gets through the turf much better for my motion, which can get steep at times.  I also have always liked a slightly boxier, thicker blade (Titleist 670, hello) so the look from address is both comforting and inspiring.

The shaft change (from KBS 130x) has to play some large part of the improved trajectory and control. It looked to my eye they were spinning a touch more, with a slightly flatter trajectory, and flying two to three yards farther.

I always felt, especially in the longer irons, that the MP-15/KBS combo got quite parabolic, which made wind a real pickle for me. For those rocket scientists that want to point out this is because my swing is scoopy and/or bad: obviously that's the case, and I hate my swing just as much as you do.

So I wasn't planning on playing the four iron, because I work for a living, etc., etc., but I was really impressed by how easy it was to hit, and it stayed in that window you like to see (sometimes well-struck shots with my old four iron would go: impact, look up, look up again, finally spot the ball in the air, and then try to plot its landing area with various algebraic formulas).

One shot in particular, I had 172 to a back pin, into a one club wind, and normally that's a three-finger punch with a six, but I said what the hell, let's just see. So I pulled a seven and didn't hit it particularly hard, but it held through the wind and landed 12' short. That was sort of all I needed to see. 

I didn't do much chipping with the PW (I admittedly forgot to try that), but from what I see it looks like this isn't one of those sets where you'll need to get rid of the PW, like some of those Mizuno models of yore. 

1 hour ago, PatScan said:

I finally got my new set of 921T out on the course yesterday. They're 1/2" long, one degree upright, with B weight heads and Modus 120x, hard-stepped.

They exceeded my expectations in the areas of looks, feel and forgiveness. I feel like the club head is far more stable at impact as compared to my MP-15, so that slight mishits still traveled as true and as high as a well-struck shot.

I think the sole and design also gets through the turf much better for my motion, which can get steep at times.  I also have always liked a slightly boxier, thicker blade (Titleist 670, hello) so the look from address is both comforting and inspiring.

The shaft change (from KBS 130x) has to play some large part of the improved trajectory and control. It looked to my eye they were spinning a touch more, with a slightly flatter trajectory, and flying two to three yards farther.

I always felt, especially in the longer irons, that the MP-15/KBS combo got quite parabolic, which made wind a real pickle for me. For those rocket scientists that want to point out this is because my swing is scoopy and/or bad: obviously that's the case, and I hate my swing just as much as you do.

So I wasn't planning on playing the four iron, because I work for a living, etc., etc., but I was really impressed by how easy it was to hit, and it stayed in that window you like to see (sometimes well-struck shots with my old four iron would go: impact, look up, look up again, finally spot the ball in the air, and then try to plot its landing area with various algebraic formulas).

One shot in particular, I had 172 to a back pin, into a one club wind, and normally that's a three-finger punch with a six, but I said what the hell, let's just see. So I pulled a seven and didn't hit it particularly hard, but it held through the wind and landed 12' short. That was sort of all I needed to see. 

I didn't do much chipping with the PW (I admittedly forgot to try that), but from what I see it looks like this isn't one of those sets where you'll need to get rid of the PW, like some of those Mizuno models of yore. 

This is great to hear, I actually pulled the trigger on this set because I fell in love with the look of the PW on a Mizuno set. 

46 minutes ago, FLXboy said:

Ordered HMs -1/2" on 9/13 and just got the call that they are ready for pickup. 

Like hearing that, ordered the 921F GW on 9/18

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Well ordered 9/15 and irons showed up today at my course. I am in Georgia and only a couple of miles from the Mizuno national distribution center but looks like they are on track for getting orders out on time. My specs checked out down to the extra wraps of tape 1* up and 1/4” over. May be one issue on lofts though. They show standard and I ordered traditional which is 2* weak. I’ll have to have that looked at but PGA SS near me just got a digital Mitchell so I’ll let them adjust if necessary. 

I placed an order on 9/18 and was told that they should be shipped this thurs or Fri.  Friday will be exactly 3 weeks from my order date.

Anyone know how long it takes to ship to the NY area?  I was told 2-3 days, but not sure if that includes weekends.  I've got a tournament next week and I'm trying to figure out if I'll have time to take the new sticks for a test ride first.

7 hours ago, KT35 said:

4 to 6 week minimum. Any one who told you otherwise owes you an apology. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

5 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Did your shop check swing weights too? +1/2" clubs should have gotten B-weight heads to maintain the stock swing weight, but if you got sent standard length, I'd question whether they used the right heads or not. 

I did on the 5,7 and 9 irons, and they all came in D3 which was about where I like them.  They all feel right to me, so I didn't dive into adjusting them if they were 1 point out.  The performance has been excellent so no complaints on the product.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

6 hours ago, Micrys2 said:

Don’t know if this has been asked before but for those that have P790, or PXG  311P how does the 921F compare in distance, desperation, and forgiveness to these two?

Not sure about the PXG but my P790 6iron vs 921F 6iron was almost identical in terms of launch monitor at the local PGA Superstore.  Only detail worth mentioning was the apex was higher with the 921F which could have been shaft.  The feel of the 921F solid forged vs quasi forged face plate is worlds better in the feel category on all hits (noticable difference).  This alone was worth the switch...no loss or gain of distance to speak of, a little higher ball flight, and the much better feel on strikes is a win for me.

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

3 minutes ago, rolling green said:

What’s everyone doing for a gap wedge?  Can anyone comment on the HM GW?  Sole looks huge. At 49 degrees I will use it strictly for full and 3/4 shots and not around the greens.  Any advantage or disadvantage with the set GW compared to a 50 degree vokey or mizuno wedge?

I got a blended HM/HMP set but opted for the forged GW instead of the HM/HMP GAP wedge. They both look similar at address but I didn’t like the large sole of the HM wedge. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rolling green said:

Forged GW. Genius!  Why didn’t I think of that. Thanks!

Keep in mind that the forged GW is one degree weaker than the HM GW. This may create a bigger gap (pun

slightly intended) between the PW and GW, but I’ll play with it for a bit and can always bend it a degree stronger if I find it to be a problem. 

• Thanks 1