Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

14 hours ago, JerryTBall said:

Hot metal and HoTMetaL pro are forged in China that’s why they sell for a lot less, and the tour and the forged in Japan

Hot Metals are cast, not forged. That is why they are less than the completely forged models. 

• Like 1

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

44 minutes ago, Cheesehead42 said:

Hot Metals are cast, not forged. That is why they are less than the completely forged models. 

I meant to say the hot metals are made in China and the rest of the Mizuno’s are made in Japan especially forged I didn’t mean to say the hot metals were forged at all but Mizuno themselves said that’s why they are also less expensive due to where they’re made

On 10/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, caller said:

Went to get fitted w Club Champions

ping 210 was longer and amazingly well performed, the spin number was way too low

Went with HM Forged. Was told 25 days before I can get it. 

How dare they (a vendor) adhere to what a manufacturer is requiring on their turnaround.

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

On 9/8/2020 at 3:58 PM, reider69 said:

I just got back from my iron fitting.  The new forged looked great and felt amazing.  Much softer than my 900 forged and I thought they felt nicer than the MMCs which I also demoed.  The top line seems thicker than my 900 forged but the blade length is shorter so the iron looks more compact overall imo.  I did the swing DNA tool and it recommended Ctaper X, KBS Staper X and DGX100.  I tried those and really preferred the Ctaper X until my fitter put in a Project X 6.5 shaft.  I hit that shaft the best and it felt great.  I have never hit Project X and was very impressed.    

My final build was JPX 921 Forged, G-5, Project X 6.5, +1/4 inch and hard-stepped, Midsize NDMC black/white, 2 degrees upright and 1 degree weak from P-5 and GW stayed at 50 degrees.  The builder said the irons should arrive on my front door on September 17th which is the release date.  

I did demo the Hot Metal Pro as well but they went into orbit and were crazy long.  My swing speed with a 7  iron using DNA tool for 5 swings was 98 MPH.  HMpro is just too much club for me but I will say they felt very soft and looked great over the ball.  They didn't look as good as the forged but I would have no reservations playing them if I needed more distance in my game.  Very impressed with HMpro.  I really wanted to like the MP20 MMC but I hit them much higher than the forged at the same lof(I don't need more height on my ball) and the feel was not as good imo.  Feel is subjective so I am sure many would disagree.  The forged felt like butter though.

I believe I am about to place an order with the Project X 6.5  in the Hot Metal Pros and the fitter recommended getting them hard-stepped.  The 6.5 feels smooth to me. I steer away from C-Taper because I do not like the feel at all.  Have you noticed any or much difference in feel and performance between the standard 6.5 and the hard-stepped ones?

2 hours ago, Whispering Eye said:

I believe I am about to place an order with the Project X 6.5  in the Hot Metal Pros and the fitter recommended getting them hard-stepped.  The 6.5 feels smooth to me. I steer away from C-Taper because I do not like the feel at all.  Have you noticed any or much difference in feel and performance between the standard 6.5 and the hard-stepped ones?

I just got fit for another companies irons; Since release I have been using C Taper X(9-10 years) I was shocked to be fit into Project X. For me I have gone - 2 iron 6.5, 4-9 7.0, 46* and 50* 6.5, 55* and 60* s400. I was not going to muck around with hard stepping etc, plus so used to the 130g shafts. The slightly softer shafts in the wedges will help for all shots and then softer in the 2 iron should help launch. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

40 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

I just got fit for another companies irons; Since release I have been using C Taper X(9-10 years) I was shocked to be fit into Project X. For me I have gone - 2 iron 6.5, 4-9 7.0, 46* and 50* 6.5, 55* and 60* s400. I was not going to muck around with hard stepping etc, plus so used to the 130g shafts. The slightly softer shafts in the wedges will help for all shots and then softer in the 2 iron should help launch. 

The C-Tapers are usually what I get fit into, but I do not like the harshness and my dispersion was better with the Project X.  Mixing up the set like you are said is something that crossed my mind as the other suggestion was going with 7.0.  I just need to find out of if the 7.0 is an upcharge, which I am guessing it is.

8 minutes ago, Whispering Eye said:

The C-Tapers are usually what I get fit into, but I do not like the harshness and my dispersion was better with the Project X.  Mixing up the set like you are said is something that crossed my mind as the other suggestion was going with 7.0.  I just need to find out of if the 7.0 is an upcharge, which I am guessing it is.

If you like ctaper dispersion but a bit more feel...go $taper.

9 minutes ago, Whispering Eye said:

Feel was much better for me in the $-Taper vs the C-Taper.  The Project X won out on dispersion vs the $ and C-Taper.

Man, if you can beat c and $ taper in dispersion then you get along really well with the PX. They're good shafts. Just felt harsh in the handle to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whispering Eye said:

7.0 hey. If you’re not 140mph++ ball speed with a 6 iron I would stick to 6.5

23 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

7.0 hey. If you’re not 140mph++ ball speed with a 6 iron I would stick to 6.5

That's really good advice.  I only hit the 7 iron; ballspeed on solid strikes were between 136-139.  I am not going to have the chance to try the 7.0 before ordering so I may err on the side of caution and stay with the 6.5.

51 minutes ago, Whispering Eye said:

That's really good advice.  I only hit the 7 iron; ballspeed on solid strikes were between 136-139.  I am not going to have the chance to try the 7.0 before ordering so I may err on the side of caution and stay with the 6.5.

awesome speed my man. IMO It’s always best to go with the stiffest shaft you feel you can control the best, without having to swing over 80-90% at all times.

If you feel like you need to ease back because of the 6.5, then maybe rather than going through the whole effort

buy a 7.0 and have one built in your iron where you feel like you tend to not strike it as good as your best (like a 5/6 iron)

Not a fitter by any means, but even the fastest and best of the best on tour don’t fit into 7.0 very often.

• Like 1

Very nice! Picked mine up today.  I would say the forged are ever so slightly smaller than my former HMP’s.  They sit beautifully.  

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

4 hours ago, therealjonzone said:

awesome speed my man. IMO It’s always best to go with the stiffest shaft you feel you can control the best, without having to swing over 80-90% at all times.

If you feel like you need to ease back because of the 6.5, then maybe rather than going through the whole effort

buy a 7.0 and have one built in your iron where you feel like you tend to not strike it as good as your best (like a 5/6 iron)

Not a fitter by any means, but even the fastest and best of the best on tour don’t fit into 7.0 very often.

Thanks man. It was good to see that speed after dealing with some back issues and I’m starting to feel normal again.

I wasn’t planning on going with the Hot Metal Pro but the results and price to be honest made it the winner. I went back again today and ended up with the KBS Tour X. Hit it against the 6.5, C-Taper, $-Taper, and C-Taper lite and it gave me the tightest dispersion, least drop off in ball speed on mishits, and surprisingly, the most distance. 

• Like 1

I’m loving the offset on the Forged. I still don’t have mine, but the looks of the irons, when looking down (in store) is perfect.  My buddy has the 919 Forged and there is a noticeable amount of offset compared to the 921F.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

12 hours ago, Whispering Eye said:

I have only ever played the 6.5s in these irons and they are hardstepped.  I don’t have experience with 6.5s that aren't hardstepped other than the few swings at my fitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cz13X4 said:

Ordered me a set of HMP with fli hi hybrids. cant wait to have them!

What your set make up with the FliHis to HMP’s? 

I just traded in to the 4 JPX 921 FliHi from the 2011 JPX FliHi and G2 CLK 19 hybrid. I couldn’t be happier with it. Ordered the matching steel shafts that are in my irons and it’s really perfect gap filler between my 2 CLK 16 set at 15 and 921Forged 4iron. These FliHi hybrids for $125 are a steel with custom options. It’s too bad no fitters have them.... so it’s really buy before you try. 

Glad  I did. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Has anyone considered or is currently using HMP 4 iron bent strong as a driving iron? 

I'm thinking it would be more versatile and MUCH easier to hit given it's 1.5" shorter in length than a driving iron. 

Downside may be a slight reduction in length but I can live with that. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

2 hours ago, Extra Stiff said:

I have tried this and have done the same with Srixon Udi and Gapr - Awesome results were experienced, but I had them in the 17-21 degree range.

Same shaft as the rest of your irons? 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

13 hours ago, mtex22 said:

Mine just arrived ordered 9/22. All the spec sheets say D3 which is incredible, I will verify when I can get to a swing weight scale!! I swung a few and the weighting feels perfect. I was worried they would feel too light since I ordered 4-9 iron -.25 length. First round is on Saturday.

This was my order:

Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pro / Forged Combo
4-7 - Hot Metal Pro - 2 Degrees Weak
8-PW - Forged - Standard Loft
KBS $-Taper Lite Black PVD Steel - Stiff Flex
Standard Lie
-1/4 inch Length 
D2/D3 Swing-weight if possible
Golf Pride MCC Align - Mens - Standard

IMG_7574.jpeg

IMG_7575.jpeg

IMG_7576.jpeg

Great set up. How do you like the KBS $ Lite shaft? 

15 hours ago, therealjonzone said:

Great advice threaljonzone, some info from my experience, I've played PX 7.0, 6.5,TTX7, TT monaco, KBS CT X, TTTIX100 and yes the swing speed to play them(not saying it to be "the guy"LOL)!! My determination to go back to the 6.5PX in the 921's I purchased was exactly what he mentions, what I found was when delivering the club at full speed those shaft I've played is money, dispersion, ball flight etc. I have a higher iron flight and always look to get the flight control down some, with that said most shots that I play in a round are not full speed, so when trying to "layoff" those shafts distance control for me at least was inconsistent, with the PX 6.5 a can still go  full speed, but when having to hit that 80% shot control is much better, BTW not hard stepped, standard length. Hope this helps, but ultimately it's what you feel comfortable and confident with hitting the variety of shots needed to score in the round!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bombs said:

Has anyone considered or is currently using HMP 4 iron bent strong as a driving iron? 

I'm thinking it would be more versatile and MUCH easier to hit given it's 1.5" shorter in length than a driving iron. 

Downside may be a slight reduction in length but I can live with that. 

I used a driving iron until I got the HMP, not sure what distance your looking for, but I'm using the 4 when I would have gone to a driving iron standard loft and its a rocket, so I'm sure if you had it bent to 17-18 (it's 19 stock) you'll get better control with your same distance. Just my opinion.

10 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

What your set make up with the FliHis to HMP’s? 

I just traded in to the 4 JPX 921 FliHi from the 2011 JPX FliHi and G2 CLK 19 hybrid. I couldn’t be happier with it. Ordered the matching steel shafts that are in my irons and it’s really perfect gap filler between my 2 CLK 16 set at 15 and 921Forged 4iron. These FliHi hybrids for $125 are a steel with custom options. It’s too bad no fitters have them.... so it’s really buy before you try. 

Glad  I did. 

I went 4&5 Fli hi with 5-pw hmp. i wanted to be able to switch out the 5 iron, but i dont play nearly as much anymore so I will take the help. I was able to see and hit them at golf galaxy and I think this will be a really good set for where I am right now.

• Like 1