2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

1 hour ago, Extra Stiff said:

It really depends, I have messed around with the configurations but I have a very nice Tour AD 115 Gram X which is very heavy for a driving iron in graphite typically you will see under 100 grams in this sense but I just got the shaft and was lucky enough to incorporate it. I think the best utility X shafts out there right now are the KBS proto's and the new GOST although I have never tried the GOST I have heard great things about it.

I have many college buddies who run modus 130x or x100 in the irons and then go a step down in their UDI to like a Modus 120x or a s400-s300+ Those are your standard dispersions for good players.

Would love to know what your set up is and how you run it!

One thing I don't see is what is the real benefit in Graphite?

I have always had steel in my 2 iron and ordered new irons so was tempted to go Graphite but just went the same shaft as my Irons that are ordered. went 6.5 instead of 7.0 so will see how that goes. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

1 minute ago, Extra Stiff said:

It's most definitely a feel thing. It was available and came with the club so I had no choice. Would love to do more testing with Steel vs Grpahite, that's why I mentioned the GOST shaft!

someone suggested it for me, its not cheap for an experiment that still to me would make no real difference. 

It can't be a distance thing as to me the 2 iron fill the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I’ve enjoyed following this forum and wanted to give some feedback on my HMs -1/2”. I’ve never paid much attention to the online chatter re clubs, but started checking this forum while waiting for my clubs. Picked up a used set of Ben Hogan forged Apex Plus clubs w/ stiff graphite shafts about 7 years ago and have used them until now. This yr I played more than ever and was shooting from 80-84 for the month leading up to my fitting. 

Not sure if it was because I told my fitter I didn’t want to spend over $1,000 or that he didn’t like the look of my swing, but I only tested game improvement clubs during my fitting. I am 5’4” and had been playing standard length clubs so have a flat swing. 

I thought the HMs felt much better than the Mavericks and TaylorMade’s. The Titleist T300s were a close second. Of course none of them feel as good as the Hogan’s on a pure strike. 

I have played a bunch with the HMs – broke 80 for the first time this year - and wanted to note a few comparisons to the Hogan’s (1) I hit a draw but have an easier time hitting straight or a slight fade with the HMs compared to the Hogan’s – in looking at the clubs side by side it looks like the Hogan’s are more offset – I am still hitting a slight draw on my standard swing (2) On pure strikes I haven’t gained much on distance – maybe 5 yards, it’s a little hard to tell because its been colder since I got the HMs (upstate NY) (3) the misses with the HM are much more forgiving – I think because of the reduction in length, for a little while I was hitting the ball on the very bottom of the club face and even on ugly shots that felt terrible it seemed like the ball still ended up where I wanted it to go – on the mid face hits out by the toe, you can barely tell it was a miss by looking at the ball flight (4) the club face gives much less feedback – with the Hogan’s I could feel right away where I hit it – I’m a little worried this will slow my improvement (5) the head lengths are about the same length so I don’t feel like visually I had to made much of an adjustment – the HMs have a thicker sole but I can’t see it at address anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Extra Stiff said:

I would still suggest a strong 3 than a 2. E.g. My 19 degree GAPR is a rocket and It's quite versatile. Not the best thing to hit off the turf but off the tee it's hard to beat. I really want to try the new sim udi with a GOST shaft, that sounds like a killer combo. I want to see if it's all gimmick or if there is actually some technology in play that'll help the ball be more workable than a gapr...

My UDI is at 18* at 41 inches(no idea how it ended up that length it was supposed to be 40) right now, but when I get it reshafted on Friday I get it at 39.75. I play in Texas or Scotland and when at home I use the 2 iron off 10 tees on a day with no wind! I am good at hitting it full or 3/4 ish to fill the gap, its the longest lasting club in my bag now!

• Like 2
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

On 10/29/2020 at 8:41 PM, Minarets said:

I’m loving the offset on the Forged. I still don’t have mine, but the looks of the irons, when looking down (in store) is perfect.  My buddy has the 919 Forged and there is a noticeable amount of offset compared to the 921F.  

Presumably I think you meant the lack of offset on the 921F.  It is quite noticeable compared to the 919F.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5. @ 45.5”

Driver Shafts: Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX & MCA Kai’Li White 70X

Mizuno ST Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5 @ 45.25”
ON ORDER: Mizuno ST Max 230 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 19.0 @ 17.0 UST Lin-Q Blue 75 F5

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

🤔 Titleist Vokey SM9 60 K Grind 

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

3 hours ago, Lemonde said:

Presumably I think you meant the lack of offset on the 921F.  It is quite noticeable compared to the 919F.

That’s what i am referring to.  There is some buy hardly any compared to the 919.   I prefer the amount on the 921

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

23 minutes ago, llaw999 said:

Anyone switch to the 921 tours from 919 tours? Trying to decide if I want to “upgrade”. Or am I just burning money? Lol

I find the 919 tour forgiving enough. If the 921T is even more forgiving then I may consider. 

Mizuno is claiming the 921 Tour has a higher MOI due to the rebalacing of weight around the entire perimeter.

But given weight distribution is the only change I could not imagine there is a massive jump in forgiveness

The 919 Tour put the majority of weight in the toe, so I guess it depends what your miss is and what type of weight distribution would help your game.

Edited by bombs
  • Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

I played my first round with my 921Fs. My swing was terrible; I hadn’t played in 6 weeks due to a hip injury and I’m having surgery for it in a couple weeks. Hang back flip because I can’t get weight forward or rotate.

However, these irons did exactly what I hoped which is feel softer and not hurt my elbow. I’m not sure how much is due to the head or the shaft (steelfiber i110) but a shot hit fairly solid is super soft. Sweet spot contact feels almost like a whiff.

7 hours ago, Extra Stiff said:

Love that! UDI > GAPR for you? Have you hit the sim udi? Also, I love your set! Would love to see some pics of that artisan putter.

Yes much better to look at. and hated the sound of the GAPR.

Sim UDI is massive. Happy with the UDI. Only thing against the UDI is toe hits but they have to be a terrible hot so deserve to be punished.

5 hours ago, llaw999 said:

Anyone switch to the 921 tours from 919 tours? Trying to decide if I want to “upgrade”. Or am I just burning money? Lol

I find the 919 tour forgiving enough. If the 921T is even more forgiving then I may consider. 

I didn't notice much difference hitting them, I even went with a different club over the 921 Tour, I just love the 919 Tours but fancied a real blade again.

I think the 919 Tours look better, mine are in great condition after 2 years; far better than friends 900 Tours looked after 6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

On 10/30/2020 at 1:01 AM, bombs said:

Has anyone considered or is currently using HMP 4 iron bent strong as a driving iron? 

I'm thinking it would be more versatile and MUCH easier to hit given it's 1.5" shorter in length than a driving iron. 

Downside may be a slight reduction in length but I can live with that. 

Not exactly, but I'm thinking of when I order my set, to have the 4 iron a little longer(not sure how much I can get away without having a crazy high SW), and a little strong- mostly to get a little little more separation from my iron and dual purpose driving iron on those short par 4's.

Yankees Suck

10 minutes ago, JStang said:

Just picked up a set of 5-PW 921 Tour's for a great price. If anyone has a 4 iron they aren't using let me know. 

I saw those on BST, great deal

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Ordered 921 Forged 4-GW on 10/15.

Called fitter this morning and Mizuno said they would go out next week.

Hopefully it goes out in enough time next week to reach me next week. Really hoping to get some rounds in with these before the weather gets too cold. May have to play more winter golf this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mretrade said:

Hopefully it goes out in enough time next week to reach me next week. Really hoping to get some rounds in with these before the weather gets too cold. May have to play more winter golf this year. 

Mine, 4-PW were ordered on 10/19.  Hopefully mine come next week as well 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

23 hours ago, mretrade said:

I ordered mine a week after you did.

So I guess I am looking at a week or so after yours.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

14 hours ago, gremlin said:

Mine were ordered on the 8th. Still haven’t shipped. 4-PW with PX6.0. 

I would think yours would go out this week at some point.

@Minarets

*crossing fingers*

The fitter said that they don't get shipping information unless they call for tracking specifically. He said they only know whey they ship based on when Mizuno invoices.

Wish Mizuno would just email shipping confirmations. 

So ready for blue box day. 

@caller probably a good guess. Seems like they are running about 4 weeks still. Website updated to 3 weeks, so perhaps could be earlier.

Will let you know when they arrive. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, harpua728 said:

Ouch.  I ordered on 9/18 and received it on 10/12.  Will Mizuno give you the tracking info?

unfortunately they can't because I'm located in Canada and the live chat rep was saying he doesn't have access to it and only Mizuno Canada does. And the only way to get in touch with their Canadian department is via my fitter. I'll be giving him a call tomorrow to follow up.... 

You all just need to do what I did...

Ordered around 10/19.

While I wait for them.to arrive, I ordered a ventus blue shafts to test in driver and 3wood and ordered a blackjack putter. Easy to not crave the mizunos when other stuff is coming...

Any of you guys know if my wife peruses this site?

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, zetazeta said:

unfortunately they can't because I'm located in Canada and the live chat rep was saying he doesn't have access to it and only Mizuno Canada does. And the only way to get in touch with their Canadian department is via my fitter. I'll be giving him a call tomorrow to follow up.... 

WOOOOOOO called ma fitter and he said they just arrived today. Will be going in tomorrow to pick em up and test it out!

• Like 4

After 6 long weeks I finally got them! It is my first time ordering from Mizuno and I have to say, I am quite disappointed. I ordered these bent 2 degrees weak from the 8-4 and 1 degree weak for 9 and PW. We were in the midst of a gapping session when we noticed that the distances between some clubs were massive (25 yd difference between 9 and PW) and some clubs had less than 8 yards (6i and 5i). Turns out every single club was off by at least 1 degree from the ordered specs beside the PW. The 9 was off by 2 degrees, 8 and 7 off by 1 degree, 6i off by 2+ degrees and 5 and 4 off by ~1. He fixed em up for me and the distance gaps were much much better and closer to my current/old set (the lofts are only 1 degree stronger).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zetazeta said:

After 6 long weeks I finally got them! It is my first time ordering from Mizuno and I have to say, I am quite disappointed. I ordered these bent 2 degrees weak from the 8-4 and 1 degree weak for 9 and PW. We were in the midst of a gapping session when we noticed that the distances between some clubs were massive (25 yd difference between 9 and PW) and some clubs had less than 8 yards (6i and 5i). Turns out every single club was off by at least 1 degree from the ordered specs beside the PW. The 9 was off by 2 degrees, 8 and 7 off by 1 degree, 6i off by 2+ degrees and 5 and 4 off by ~1. He fixed em up for me and the distance gaps were much much better and closer to my current/old set (the lofts are only 1 degree stronger).  

I strongly recommend to check loft &lie from Mizuno build.

My older 919 HM was off by 2 degree on PW and GW which resulting moon ball and gapping was not consistent.

I will do the checking once I get my 921F arrives.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I took delivery of my pre owned 921 Tour's yesterday. I took the PW out to hit some chip shots around the green yesterday evening and was very impressed with the feel. I often convince myself that I'm not good enough to play this style of club (9 cap) but then I look back at it and some of my best golf was played with 716 and 718 CB's so these aren't much (if any) different from those in regards to forgiveness. I am going to commit to these!

I pulled the heads last night and re-shafted the 5, 7 and PW with X100's because I only had 3 ferrules. I am going to try and get to the range today and will check back in with my thoughts. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D