Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

Check your clubs when they come in of you ordered anything different than stock. My lofts were weak, lie angles were way off, swing weights were way off. 

The lofts confuse me. I didn't order a loft change. 

The swingweights irk me. It's like they didn't even try. Took the 7i head off and it had a 4g tip weight. A 10g tip weight would have met the SW I asked for. 

Lazy and sloppy work mizuno.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Need everyone’s help here... which grip do I go with? give me a like for GOLFPRIDE  OR thanks for LAMKIN  

Received mine today and were ordered extremely early on.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Check your clubs when they come in of you ordered anything different than stock. My lofts were weak, lie angles were way off, swing weights were way off. 

The swingweights irk me. It's like they didn't even try. Took the 7i head off and it had a 4g tip weight. A 10g tip weight would have met the SW I asked for. 

Golf Tec checked mine upon arrival.  So far so good for me. But I just asked for 2° upright.  

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

The fool-proof way to go (if you have access to a Mitchell), is to just order loft and lies as standard then tweak them yourself. Never anyone to blame there but yourself. Shafts and lengths are pretty easy, but the minute adjustments in the hands of someone else can always be off, even though it's expected for them to be spot on with a custom order. Has always worked best for me this way, and will do the same in the event I combo a set of 921's.

• Like 1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I ordered loft lie stock but heavier sw. hopefully it pans out. 

I find it so disappointing to hear this about custom orders, especially when we’re the ones forking our big money. I requested 1/2 long and d3 and if they don’t come that way I’ll send them back. There’s no excuse for it when you drop that kind of $. Is anyone else complaining or sending stuff back?

Finally had a fitting with the Mizuno fitter and rep yesterday evening. I currently play 2016 Cobra Forged Tec with DG 95 S200 shafts. 7 iron typically carries right around 155 yards and I can get a high ball flight with not a a lot of roll.

First up we started with the Hot metal 7 iron good strong high launching ball flight, this sounds stupid but it carried too far and I'd have problems with shorter distances. Next up the Forged, launched 17.4 degrees, spin was 6590, ball speed 119mph, carry 167.3 yards, not much roll out. This was with the same DG 95 S200 shaft and a 2* flat head. I miss left with my irons and that 2* flat eliminated the left side. Ball flight was high with a 43* descent angle, and straight. Off centre hits didn't seem to lose that much distance.

I also hit the HMP and the Tour, distances were up with both HM's, but to much and dispersion was greater than the Forged. The Tour wasn't for me. I also tried the MP20 HMB and on centre hits it was very similar to the JPX Forged, however on off centre the Forged are far more friendly.

The DG shafts are custom order here in Thailand, so we also tried the Modus tour 105 and 120. The 105 I didn't like at all, the felt very head heavy and low launching. The 120 felt a lot better and similar to the DG's.

Price wise, they were offering a promotional 25% discount, free stand bag and umbrella or a free wedge. The local sport store had them in stock for a few thousand baht less and the Mizuno Rep happened to be in there this morning when I went to check the price. He has agreed to sell 5-PW DG 95 S200 shafts, 2* flat for the same price. Now I have a 20 - 30 day wait, realistically I expect more likely 5 - 6 weeks as this is Thailand.

Edited by garethw
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

5 hours ago, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

I find it so disappointing to hear this about custom orders, especially when we’re the ones forking our big money. I requested 1/2 long and d3 and if they don’t come that way I’ll send them back. There’s no excuse for it when you drop that kind of $. Is anyone else complaining or sending stuff back?

I'm going to have a grip pulled to validate the shafts I ordered are correct. Someone else found out they sent the wrong shafts. If my shafts aren't right then I will refuse the clubs. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I'm going to have a grip pulled to validate the shafts I ordered are correct. Someone else found out they sent the wrong shafts. If my shafts aren't right then I will refuse the clubs. 

Is there a way to tell shaft by pulling a grip? I can’t say I’ve ever noticed? 

So I have been reading about all these mishaps at the Mizuno custom shop.  Is the consensus that this is just anecdotal or is this a systematic issue with them rushing to fulfill orders and clear their backlog?  

I just ordered my first-ever new custom set of clubs and just recently switched back to Mizuno.  After being a Mizuno fanboy for most of my golfing life, I have spent the last 3 years very happy with Cobra MB/CB.  Looking for a bit more consistency with the long clubs, I tried the new 921 line and walked out of the store with an order for set of 921 forged on the spot.  First time in years I tried an iron that could displace the MBs.  

Interesting thing is that at first I actually purchased an off-the shelf set with Nippons that was "supposed" to be stock, but when I unboxed them, they felt really odd to me.  I took them back to the store and they measured them as 1/2' long!  

15 minutes ago, Golfah said:

So I have been reading about all these mishaps at the Mizuno custom shop.  Is the consensus that this is just anecdotal or is this a systematic issue with them rushing to fulfill orders and clear their backlog?  

I just ordered my first-ever new custom set of clubs and just recently switched back to Mizuno.  After being a Mizuno fanboy for most of my golfing life, I have spent the last 3 years very happy with Cobra MB/CB.  Looking for a bit more consistency with the long clubs, I tried the new 921 line and walked out of the store with an order for set of 921 forged on the spot.  First time in years I tried an iron that could displace the MBs.  

Interesting thing is that at first I actually purchased an off-the shelf set with Nippons that was "supposed" to be stock, but when I unboxed them, they felt really odd to me.  I took them back to the store and they measured them as 1/2' long!  

Mizuno has always been spot on with custom orders. I've ordered individual clubs from them and had them come in spot on. 

I think the issues are

1. Covid working environment constraining resources

2. Large number of orders combined with #1

Anecdotally, it seems they've got inexperienced folks building clubs or the entire process they're using has become highly unorganized. I did not order loft changes and my clubs came with weak lofts. Someone would have to weaken the lofts for them to be off. That's intentional effort and I have no idea why someone would touch lofts unless they were looking at the wrong build sheet while touching the wrong clubs. Just sloppy ops right now from them.

I realize that COVID has thrown a wrench in a lot of businesses but at the end of the day, as long as they paint themselves as a premium brand and charge a premium price, we should all expect a premium product. 

COVID could be a reason for longer lead times but should never be an excuse for shoddy quality. 

Edited by Cheesehead42
  • Like 2

[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]WITB:[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING G400 LST 8.5 Kuro Kage 60g X-Flex[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Px LZ 6.5 2 iron[/font][/color][/size]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno MP18 MMC 3i-PW Modus3 120 X[/size][/font][/color]
[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 Wedges: 49,53,59 Modus3 120 X[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Custom Black Lab Flow Neck Putter[/font][/color][/size]

16 minutes ago, Cheesehead42 said:

I realize that COVID has thrown a wrench in a lot of businesses but at the end of the day, as long as they paint themselves as a premium brand and charge a premium price, we should all expect a premium product. 

COVID could be a reason for longer lead times but should never be an excuse for shoddy quality. 

Agree 100%. I'll wait for quality given covid constraints. But when I've waited an entire month for order fulfillment and then stuff comes all.jacked up, that wrinkles me bug time. It would have been a lot faster (and now, the same effort) to buy a set of 919 or 921 heads and just put my 900t shafts in them. The retailer I buy from is pulling all the heads off to put heavier tip weights in. So they're being reshafted and I could have had that done a month ago.

• Like 1

Are they really a premium product tho? I know they are more highly thought of around here because of their forging process and “nothing feels like a Mizuno” but are they any more premium than Ping, Titleist or Taylormade?  I’m genuinely asking.  

I look at them as my preferred club maker but don’t look at them as a step up, unless you are speaking of their forging process compared to some others larger companies.  Even then though there are better forgings. 

I look at a PXG as a premium brand or Miura or more niche based.  I mean, I do agree we all should expect to get the right things when we order it but it really speaks to the kind of people that exists today and our mindsets.  

I get frustrated at my job because I work for the Cadillac of our industry and our customer service lacks far too often for my liking.  I’m not saying it’s a valid excuse but it’s a reality.  The kind of people that exist in certain areas far too often (and I certainly don’t speak of all of them) don’t take pride in what they do.  They are there to get a check and provide for their family, not to do a good job or have growth goals.  The only way I know to fix it is to constantly be firing and looking for better people, but that often comes with a different set of problems.  

my rant for the day.  

Placed my order for 921F 4-Pw on 10/16 and received them yesterday, 11/17. They felt fine but all these comments about quality have me wondering if I should get all the specs checked. Not as important but 3 grips in my set were put on probably 15* closed, just seems like a rushed job and not much pride in the product. Somewhat disappointed in Mizuno at this point. 

44 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Are they really a premium product tho? I know they are more highly thought of around here because of their forging process and “nothing feels like a Mizuno” but are they any more premium than Ping, Titleist or Taylormade?  I’m genuinely asking.  

I look at them as my preferred club maker but don’t look at them as a step up, unless you are speaking of their forging process compared to some others larger companies.  Even then though there are better forgings. 

I look at a PXG as a premium brand or Miura or more niche based.  I mean, I do agree we all should expect to get the right things when we order it but it really speaks to the kind of people that exists today and our mindsets.  

I get frustrated at my job because I work for the Cadillac of our industry and our customer service lacks far too often for my liking.  I’m not saying it’s a valid excuse but it’s a reality.  The kind of people that exist in certain areas far too often (and I certainly don’t speak of all of them) don’t take pride in what they do.  They are there to get a check and provide for their family, not to do a good job or have growth goals.  The only way I know to fix it is to constantly be firing and looking for better people, but that often comes with a different set of problems.  

my rant for the day.  

Are they premium? No. 

But when you offer a service then you better do that service right. I was told at order time that they may not be able to get my swingweight requests exactly where I wanted. I was fine with that, figured I'd be slapping lead tape on them anyway. I asked for the club to be weighted as heavy as possible up to that sw #. To pull a tip weight and it be 4g when a 10g would have gotten the sw # exactly, tells me there was no attempt to get the sw up. And since they all came out to D2.5 or D3 tells me they just put the tip weight in that got them back to std after cutting the 1/4" off the longer stock length. That's just sloppy. 

A pw at d3 is barely playable. Heck, 6i at d3 felt really light. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Are they premium? No. 

But when you offer a service then you better do that service right. I was told at order time that they may not be able to get my swingweight requests exactly where I wanted. I was fine with that, figured I'd be slapping lead tape on them anyway. I asked for the club to be weighted as heavy as possible up to that sw #. To pull a tip weight and it be 4g when a 10g would have gotten the sw # exactly, tells me there was no attempt to get the sw up. And since they all came out to D2.5 or D3 tells me they just put the tip weight in that got them back to std after cutting the 1/4" off the longer stock length. That's just sloppy. 

A pw at d3 is barely playable. Heck, 6i at d3 felt really light. 

Yet, if you look at Ping Tour builds almost all are at D3 or lighter with majority at D2 and then D3 in PW

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Doesn't matter. I like and requested heavier. What someone else does matters not to me.

And this is why club builders will always have a place in the market.

Some OEM’s just don’t have the bandwidth to meet every exact detail.

Specifically, they put “best” as their swingweight quite often and best to them is closest to their factory specs.

whoever on the order end or shop may have inputted incorrectly, or interpreted incorrectly.

I sent back 2 sets of MP18 because they came 1/2” over both times for some reason, but not for swingweight. I’ve never sent them back for that if they’re between D2-D4, usually only an overlength issue which then would drop the swingweight to D0 ish.

at +0.8 cap and 41 years old, I’m not on tour nor will it make any difference in my scores but hey some people like yourself like heavier which I can appreciate.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

Specifically, they put “best” as their swingweight quite often and best to them is closest to their factory specs.

whoever on the order end or shop may have inputted incorrectly, or interpreted incorrectly.

I sent back 2 sets of MP18 because they came 1/2” over both times for some reason, but not for swingweight. I’ve never sent them back for that if they’re between D2-D4, usually only an overlength issue which then would drop the swingweight to D0 ish.

at +0.8 cap and 41 years old, I’m not on tour nor will it make any difference in my scores but hey some people like yourself like heavier which I can appreciate.

The folks I deal with at the retailer i used are good folks. They're taking care of the sw issue. I knew I'd likely have to slap 1-1.5 points worth of tape on each one. But i didn't want to have to put 6-8g of tape on them. If the retailer hadn't been cool.about it then i would have walked away from the set. I've actually been going a touch heavier the last few months after some testing and it's been a good change. This will be the last new set I'll buy for a while. I'll just buy heads in the future and slap my $tapers with heavy tip weights into them. Unless this is just an anomaly year from mizuno.

46 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

I completely agree, people that want or expect specs to be perfect need to have their clubs build by a guy like Ben Giunta at The Tour Van. It’ll cost ya but what price do you put on piece of mind knowing your clubs are perfectly build to your specs. 

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

35 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

I completely agree, people that want or expect specs to be perfect need to have their clubs build by a guy like Ben Giunta at The Tour Van. It’ll cost ya but what price do you put on piece of mind knowing your clubs are perfectly build to your specs. 

I was told, and was ok, that they likely couldn't meet all of the SW requests. I have a set of 900tours that I put $tapers in and used heavy tip weights to get them as close as possible to where I wanted. I used lead tape to get the rest of the way. So I know they could get them close. Having them all come in d2.5-3 and then pulling a 4g weight out of the shaft showed me they just popped in the weight to get them std. You going to tell me that mizuno doesn't have 10g tip weights? 

The 8i had a 7g weight in it...

Edited by getitdaily
29 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I was told, and was ok, that they likely couldn't meet all of the SW requests. I have a set of 900tours that I put $tapers in and used heavy tip weights to get them as close as possible to where I wanted. I used lead tape to get the rest of the way. So I know they could get them close. Having them all come in d2.5-3 and then pulling a 4g weight out of the shaft showed me they just popped in the weight to get them std. You going to tell me that mizuno doesn't have 10g tip weights? 

The 8i had a 7g weight in it...

I can’t tell you what Mizuno has or doesn’t have because they don’t build clubs for me. I use Ben Giunta to build my gear. I pay the extra money and get flawlessly built equipment to my exact specifications. Regardless of what OEM you use, you are at their mercy for hitting your desired specs. OEM’s are volume builders so hitting your target SW may not be something they can or will do because they all have spec tolerances. That could be a couple SW points and a degree or two on loft and lie. With Ben, a 46° PW - 35.5” length, 63° lie and D4 SW request gets me exactly 46°, 35.5”, 63° and D4. 

The old adage “you get what you pay for” seems to fit with our experiences. 

Edited by noodle3872

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

7 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

I can’t tell you what Mizuno has or doesn’t have because they don’t build clubs for me. I use Ben Giunta to build my gear. I pay the extra money and get flawlessly built equipment to my exact specifications. Regardless of what OEM you use, you are at their mercy for hitting your desired specs. OEM’s are volume builders so hitting your target SW may not be something they can or will do because they all have spec tolerances. That could be a couple SW points and a degree or two on loft and lie. With Ben, a 46° PW - 35.5” length, 63° lie and D4 SW request gets me exactly 46°, 35.5”, 63° and D4. 

The old adage “you get what you pay for” seems to fit with our experiences. 

It's all good. The retailer knows me well and knows how precise I like things. They're getting them all upped in sw at no additional cost. I'll still have to add lead tape but that's ok. Looks like I'll only have to add 1-1.5 points worth to each head. 

Like I mentioned, from now on I'll just buy heads. Would have done that this time had

1. Mizuno not been good about meeting specs in the past

2. I wanted to throw the retailer a bone since they pretty much don't say a word any time I go in and want to do some launch monitor testing (which is more often than I should - I'm a tinkerer). 

Whelp, 1st mistake today with the first day out with the 921F irons was playing.  Should have hit the range first to adjust.  I always need a few days of range time to get used to new irons.  I don’t buy new irons every year and the last 3 sets I’ve bought as new took me some time to get used to.  I hated my 0311 and was ready to sell after a month of hitting them before I found my stride.  

played 9 today and was taking the plastic off each time I needed that club.  Yuck.  Getting used to the grips too.  Fitter put me in midsize GP tour velvet +4 and that felt like a tree trunk compared to my older irons.  Didn’t make very good ball contact.  Need a range day for sure.  

On 11/6/2020 at 8:48 PM, zetazeta said:

Hahaha when is yours supposed to arrive?

I did hit up Chris on the live chat and he said it is likely that the sticker is wrong but the shaft is right but I will need to cut the grips to check. Will wait to hear back from my fitter first... he said he will be contacting Mizuno Canada.

Fitter told me to come back since he could check the shafts after removing the grips. He had asked his mizuno rep and they told him the same thing - remove grip and check the specs at the butt of the shaft. Well, turns out if you shorten the shaft there’s a good chance the text of the specs at the butt will be cut off! So my nightmare with mizuno continues. Fitter is gonna let me know when he hears back. He said most likely they will send the correct shafts and he will reshaft them. Unfortunately he says it will take up to 3-4 weeks..... at least it’s winter here and I’ll be snowboarding more than golf 😕

Don’t think I’ll be ordering from Mizuno again. This has been a nightmare from the beginning. Should’ve went with titelist t200s or something.