Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

Some good discussion here. Those of you saying you shouldn’t expect your specs to be accurate from an OEM offering custom orders? Sorry it’s ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE. I don’t care if I’m a tour player or not, build the club the way the customer wants it built and do it well. None of you should be ok with anything less. I own an electrical company and if a customer wants 10 pot lights in a kitchen in a certain layout, I don’t give them two in the bathroom and walk away sending them a bill for the same amount. I would be out of business. And that’s the point it’s a manufactures business to build the set, which I paid $1600 Canadian for. So do your job or don’t offer custom.

Rant over

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

Some good discussion here. Those of you saying you shouldn’t expect your specs to be accurate from an OEM offering custom orders? Sorry it’s ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE. I don’t care if I’m a tour player or not, build the club the way the customer wants it built and do it well. None of you should be ok with anything less. I own an electrical company and if a customer wants 10 pot lights in a kitchen in a certain layout, I don’t give them two in the bathroom and walk away sending them a bill for the same amount. I would be out of business. And that’s the point it’s a manufactures business to build the set, which I paid $1600 Canadian for. So do your job or don’t offer custom.

Rant over

that's not what I am saying. don't confuse.  I am saying that your company makes mistakes, and when you do, you likely make them right. I would assume Mizuno will too.   my experience is that the art of customer service is gone, or is heading that direction. it doesn't matter what industry or business, there has been a decline in customer service.   I'm not making excuses for them, mizuno, I am just saying I expect there to be mistakes now, in almost anything.  I do expect them to handle it.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

9 minutes ago, Minarets said:

that's not what I am saying. don't confuse.  I am saying that your company makes mistakes, and when you do, you likely make them right. I would assume Mizuno will too.   my experience is that the art of customer service is gone, or is heading that direction. it doesn't matter what industry or business, there has been a decline in customer service.   I'm not making excuses for them, mizuno, I am just saying I expect there to be mistakes now, in almost anything.  I do expect them to handle it.  

Again from what I’m seeing it’s every other set or more that are wrong. That’s a high failure rate. Build it right the first time and customer service is rarely called upon. It’s a reasonable standard to meet, mistakes happen but it shouldn’t be the norm.

1 minute ago, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

Again from what I’m seeing it’s every other set or more that are wrong. That’s a high failure rate. Build it right the first time and customer service is rarely called upon. It’s a reasonable standard to meet, mistakes happen but it shouldn’t be the norm.

i agree.  it costs more to do it a second time. and i agree with the premise. i am just starting to accept it as the norm.  not saying anyone should, but i am.  i was referencing my place of employment in my earlier post.  people have changed.  not saying its good.  but people just don't care of take pride in what they do a lot (at that pay rate for certain jobs), imo.  and its not everyone, but it seems more prevalent today that in yesteryears.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, zetazeta said:

Fitter told me to come back since he could check the shafts after removing the grips. He had asked his mizuno rep and they told him the same thing - remove grip and check the specs at the butt of the shaft. Well, turns out if you shorten the shaft there’s a good chance the text of the specs at the butt will be cut off! So my nightmare with mizuno continues. Fitter is gonna let me know when he hears back. He said most likely they will send the correct shafts and he will reshaft them. Unfortunately he says it will take up to 3-4 weeks..... at least it’s winter here and I’ll be snowboarding more than golf 😕

Don’t think I’ll be ordering from Mizuno again. This has been a nightmare from the beginning. Should’ve went with titelist t200s or something. 

45 minutes ago, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

Rant over

I agree. It’s my first time getting fitted clubs and it’s been such a poor experience. There’s mainly 3 things in a custom fitting: loft/lie, shaft, grip.... and they got 2 of the 3 wrong for my clubs. Fitter said he will try to get mizuno to gimme some sort of compensation for my piss poor custom order. I just want my clubs man..... 

• Like 2

This is why after my 919F/Tour combos and a couple wedges coming mis built, I will never not do custom fitter/builder with my guy locally. 

Get fitted, pick the goods, and get them custom built to spec. Couldn’t be happier. 

Eliminate the let down and enjoy. 

• Like 3

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Still not finding my stride with these. Certainly not the clubs fault.  It’s the swing. Will take some time for me as it always does with new clubs.   Never a smooth transition.   

5 hours ago, Minarets said:

Still not finding my stride with these. Certainly not the clubs fault.  It’s the swing. Will take some time for me as it always does with new clubs.   Never a smooth transition.   

I am not sure after reading your post that your clubs are the right spec for you. If they are fitted right and built to that spec then the clubs should be okay straight out the gate. It may take one round or a range session to get used to the different feel compared to the old set.  If you have been fitted and the clubs are not working it is possible the fit wasn't right or you are now swinging different to the fitting day.  I hope they work out for you. 

I just did a fit and and ordered 4-gw the JPX 921 tour SEL.  These things look great and the feel was brilliant.  I was shocked that i was fitted to 1.5 degree flat lie when i am normally standard lie. Doesn't matter what the spec is as long as it right for me.  Got to cop a 6 week wait time though.  You would think as I get older and wiser my patience would get better. Worse than a kid on christmas eve. 

• Like 2

Smart ^ rodge

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

11 hours ago, Minarets said:

Just curious, I noticed there are a few people here that received their clubs and their build was done incorrectly. Did your clubs arrive correctly?

4 minutes ago, Jbeebs2008 said:

Just curious, I noticed there are a few people here that received their clubs and their build was done incorrectly. Did your clubs arrive correctly?

I’m going to have them double checked. I was told when I picked him up for golf tech they were correct but I’m going to take them back and have them do it in front of me

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, Cheesehead42 said:

Ordered mine on Oct 30 and they are saying 3-4 weeks. That basically puts it in the middle of Black Friday shipments so who knows when they show up. My optimism is not very high based on what I am hearing from others. 

I traded my other irons in for them so I am having withdrawls waiting for them to get here. 

I am in the same position. Ordered mine in the 11th sold my clubs this week and at the time of the fitting was

told 15 days, called this week and was told  at best 3 weeks

On 11/18/2020 at 9:05 PM, zetazeta said:

I agree. It’s my first time getting fitted clubs and it’s been such a poor experience. There’s mainly 3 things in a custom fitting: loft/lie, shaft, grip.... and they got 2 of the 3 wrong for my clubs. Fitter said he will try to get mizuno to gimme some sort of compensation for my piss poor custom order. I just want my clubs man..... 

I hit the t200s felt like complete rocks in my hands at impact lol. Sucks  to hear about the poor service 

For anyone who was on the fence between tour and forged, what did you go with and how did it turn out for you?  I'm playing 10+ year old irons and looking to get something new for next year.  JPX are on the radar.  I'm a low single digit with pretty good speed and consider my iron striking to be a strength.  I was thinking combo set but now wondering why not just go all forged for a little help on days when the striking isn't 100% there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, anw79 said:

For anyone who was on the fence between tour and forged, what did you go with and how did it turn out for you?  I'm playing 10+ year old irons and looking to get something new for next year.  JPX are on the radar.  I'm a low single digit with pretty good speed and consider my iron striking to be a strength.  I was thinking combo set but now wondering why not just go all forged for a little help on days when the striking isn't 100% there.

I need the help as a 6 HCP as ball striking is my biggest problem. Never really considered the Tours, for me personally.    They look great tho. 

I went back and forth between the Tour and Forged. My iron game is solid so I expected to go with the Tour. My decision was made when I took a 7i from each set to the course and did some testing. I got a quick distance baseline for each iron before heading out. The two irons felt great however mishits lost more yardage with the Tour than I felt I could accept even after adjusting to the distance (moving 8 yards closer to the green) I needed to be at to hit the respective Tour iron. Approach shot mishits with the Forged were closer to the hole time after time. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

The tour feel amazing. Better toe shape than mizunos of old. Unfortunately the counterbalance in the C taper bring out some bad swing tendencies. Hit some darts with them in the 18 holes I played. They’ll be on BST soon. Will likely end up with a set down the road. 

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

The tour feel amazing. Better toe shape than mizunos of old. Unfortunately the counterbalance in the C taper bring out some bad swing tendencies. Hit some darts with them in the 18 holes I played. They’ll be on BST soon. Will likely end up with a set down the road. 

Are the C Tapers actually counterbalanced or is it just how they feel?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

5 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

I went back and forth between the Tour and Forged. My iron game is solid so I expected to go with the Tour. My decision was made when I took a 7i from each set to the course and did some testing. I got a quick distance baseline for each iron before heading out. The two irons felt great however mishits lost more yardage with the Tour than I felt I could accept even after adjusting to the distance (moving 8 yards closer to the green) I needed to be at to hit the respective Tour iron. Approach shot mishits with the Forged were closer to the hole time after time. 

I couldn't believe how amazing the forged felt.  What was even more amazing was on mishits wasn't punished at all.  A bad strike still was good enough.  Im a project X fan myself, and the PX Lz blackouts just look amazing.  I keep sets in the bag for a long time, and I see these being the same.  It is weird to not have a 3 iron though, and I'm adjusting to the new lofts.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on 921 forged - had a couple of fittings and found a spec that seems to work for me.

Bit of a dilemma about set make up. Currently playing MP59s with S300 so I was initially just looking in the 4,5,6 space for more forgiveness and help.

Now I am starting to look at a full set but would like to know what the playability and feel of the 921 forged short irons are.

Thats where the gapping gets stretched in the 921f.

I play lots of half shots and bump and runs with my current PW (46 degree) - should I bother getting the 921f pw. Feels a bit stupid to splash out on a PW when I am happy with mu current gamer and know how it performs - or even fill the gap with a vokey PW to match my wedge setup...

Are the 921f 9 and PW too hot for greenside and knockdown shots?

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

I hit a lot of bump and runs as well and use the 9 and PW for them and they do not feel hot to me.  Solid feeling but still maintain good feel. But that is totally subjective 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jubilee_links said:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on 921 forged - had a couple of fittings and found a spec that seems to work for me.

Bit of a dilemma about set make up. Currently playing MP59s with S300 so I was initially just looking in the 4,5,6 space for more forgiveness and help.

Now I am starting to look at a full set but would like to know what the playability and feel of the 921 forged short irons are.

I play lots of half shots and bump and runs with my current PW (46 degree) - should I bother getting the 921f pw. Feels a bit stupid to splash out on a PW when I am happy with mu current gamer and know how it performs - or even fill the gap with a vokey PW to match my wedge setup...

If I understood it correctly, the 8-G are 1025E withought the back milling so in theory the should not have a higher COR than say a blade.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

The 8-GW in the 921F are definitely not hot. They are very solid feeling on full shots and partial swing shots. Around the green they are very useful. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

6 hours ago, jubilee_links said:

Agree with what others have already said.  8 thru wedge are traditional grain flow forged, not chromoly.  They will feel the same as the tours.  Also offset and top have been reduced from 900 models.  Im biased, but full set of forged hard to beat.