Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

9 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Agree with what others have already said.  8 thru wedge are traditional grain flow forged, not chromoly.  They will feel the same as the tours.  Also offset and top have been reduced from 900 models.  Im biased, but full set of forged hard to beat.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say the 921F 8-GW feel the same as the 8-GW Tour. The Tour irons feel more dense because of shallow cavity with more mass in the cavity. The Forged feel great for being a cavity back but I would score the Tour 10/10 versus the Forged at 8.5/10.

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Need everyone’s help here... which grip do I go with? give me a like for GOLFPRIDE  OR thanks for LAMKIN  

Received mine today and were ordered extremely early on.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say the 921F 8-GW feel the same as the 8-GW Tour. The Tour irons feel more dense because of shallow cavity with more mass in the cavity. The Forged feel great for being a cavity back but I would score the Tour 10/10 versus the Forged at 8.5/10.

The material and forging are exactly the same.  Maybe a slight difference in CG.  I see where you're coming from, but from true feel I'd have a hard time having the vast majority of people feel a difference.

If people don't agree, I'm open to it, just not seeing it myself.  Ive hit 32s, 33s, 19s, so I can tell feel.

9 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

The 8-GW in the 921F are definitely not hot. They are very solid feeling on full shots and partial swing shots. Around the green they are very useful. 

How does the GW compare to your T20 50* wedge? Flight, feel, spin, control etc. Still thinking about getting fit after lockdown or wait for next spring but not sure on the GW. I use it a lot for partial shots as I hate hitting SW/specialty wedges full out.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5 or MP Titanium 4W 16.5

Nike Victory Red Hybrid 3 21.0

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

Mizuno/Bettinardi  BC1

51 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

How does the GW compare to your T20 50* wedge? Flight, feel, spin, control etc. Still thinking about getting fit after lockdown or wait for next spring but not sure on the GW. I use it a lot for partial shots as I hate hitting SW/specialty wedges full out.

I think the set GW is maybe a bit more consistent due to the cavity give more forgiveness than the bladed T20. Full swing shots look very similar in flight and fly the same distance. Spin may be a hair higher in the T20 thanks to the raw grooves but so different that the ball reacts differently when it hits the green. This is the first set matching GW I’ve own and feel I can bag either wedge and feel confident with it in my hands. 

• Thanks 1

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Still waiting on my 921F full set and it has been 31 days since I ordered. 

Does anyone know Forged is forging with toe strikes? When I got fitted I was flushing them so didn't notice but with current gamer, I am off on swing path and hitting some toe shots and wondering.

Thanks

TaylorMade M6 Tour AD BB
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I ordered mine on Oct 30 and was told they were being built today. Nothing like timing a golf club shipment with Black Friday. 

My guess is that there is little chance I see them before the end of next week which sucks considered I traded my old irons in for them. Withdrawals are strong right now!

[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]WITB:[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING G400 LST 8.5 Kuro Kage 60g X-Flex[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Px LZ 6.5 2 iron[/font][/color][/size]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno MP18 MMC 3i-PW Modus3 120 X[/size][/font][/color]
[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 Wedges: 49,53,59 Modus3 120 X[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Custom Black Lab Flow Neck Putter[/font][/color][/size]

57 minutes ago, Cheesehead42 said:

I ordered mine on Oct 30 and was told they were being built today. Nothing like timing a golf club shipment with Black Friday. 

My guess is that there is little chance I see them before the end of next week which sucks considered I traded my old irons in for them. Withdrawals are strong right now!

Mine is Oct 23rd.

TaylorMade M6 Tour AD BB
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

6 hours ago, caller said:

Still waiting on my 921F full set and it has been 31 days since I ordered. 

Does anyone know Forged is forging with toe strikes? When I got fitted I was flushing them so didn't notice but with current gamer, I am off on swing path and hitting some toe shots and wondering.

Thanks

These are the most forgiving clubs I've ever played.  Now I've never played a GI iron, but toe shots should be fairly minimal on yardage and direction. 

7 minutes ago, golftherapy02 said:

Just called the fitter today since I ordered on November 10th. Was told at least 2 more weeks for my set, but they don’t have any idea of when they will arrive unless they contact the mizuno rep🤦🏻‍♂️   Sold my old iron set last week...

You can just call Mizuno directly and ask for an update on the order.  That was easier than going thru my club.  Number is 1800-392-9899.

FYI  - mine took total of 4 to 6 weeks, can't recall when I placed it.

Edited by Nick_E
  • Like 1

Yes I called Mizuno direct.  Much faster. 

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

50 minutes ago, garethw said:

It's only been a week and I am struggling not to call / message / harass the Mizuno rep for an up date. 

Must learn patience.

Total first world problems l, but I agree.  I am not patient when it comes to golf stuff.  

Just got my 921 Forged after an almost 6 week wait!

Was only able to get them out to a simulator today, they felt great, very forgiving, but I seemed to be having some distance control issues. I'm coming from some much more traditionally lofted AP2s but I had those pretty dialled in with my yardages never being off stock more than about 5-10yds. When I really turned on one with the 921F and hit it pure, I was flying maybe 20-25yds further than I'd want.

The 5, 6, and 7 iron in particular seemed to really cook. I'll take them out to the course tomorrow and if I'm still having trouble, take them for a gapping session, but right now it has me a bit worried. I was fit to standard loft and lies so I'm assuming the loft specs from the factory should be set correct.

Any body else have similar issues hitting "fliers" with these?

IMG_0065.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great looking bag beerhandle. I love my 921F and ready they were an easy slot in from my TM P790 I played previously.

For yardage, I would probably have the lofts  adjusted to give you what you are looking for in the stronger clubs and blend into the 8iron. In terms of consistency, I have found they are pretty pure. Even slight toe strikes find the yardages I am looking for so also very forgiving. 

Before you go get them adjusted, try em on course a few rounds and practice sessions....who knows you may come to like the bonus yards and cut strokes on the score? 

• Like 1

TM SIM Tour Issue 10.5/ Mitsu Tensei AVRaw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 0317X G2 17&22/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

13 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Great looking bag beerhandle. I love my 921F and ready they were an easy slot in from my TM P790 I played previously.

For yardage, I would probably have the lofts  adjusted to give you what you are looking for in the stronger clubs and blend into the 8iron. In terms of consistency, I have found they are pretty pure. Even slight toe strikes find the yardages I am looking for so also very forgiving. 

Before you go get them adjusted, try em on course a few rounds and practice sessions....who knows you may come to like the bonus yards and cut strokes on the score? 

Thanks mate, I'll definitely give them a go outside before I start tinkering. I definitely don't mind the bonus yards, I just need to be able to account for them!

With my AP2 7-iron, bad strikes would go about 140, good would go 160, and great would go 165.

With the 921F, bad strikes were going 160, good were going 170, and great were going 195!

Here's to hoping it was related to the simulator, but usually I find their numbers to be pretty accurate.

6 hours ago, TheBeerHandle said:

Was only able to get them out to a simulator today, they felt great, very forgiving, but I seemed to be having some distance control issues. I'm coming from some much more traditionally lofted AP2s but I had those pretty dialled in with my yardages never being off stock more than about 5-10yds. When I really turned on one with the 921F and hit it pure, I was flying maybe 20-25yds further than I'd want.

The 5, 6, and 7 iron in particular seemed to really cook. I'll take them out to the course tomorrow and if I'm still having trouble, take them for a gapping session, but right now it has me a bit worried. I was fit to standard loft and lies so I'm assuming the loft specs from the factory should be set correct.

IMG_0065.jpg

You having fliers are an absolute bummer but might save me a four-digit-amount of money 😆

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5 or MP Titanium 4W 16.5

Nike Victory Red Hybrid 3 21.0

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

Mizuno/Bettinardi  BC1

17 hours ago, Nick_E said:

You can just call Mizuno directly and ask for an update on the order.  That was easier than going thru my club.  Number is 1800-392-9899.

FYI  - mine took total of 4 to 6 weeks, can't recall when I placed it.

Thanks for the number. Wasn’t sure I could even call them since I placed it through the fitter and had no info. At least I was told 2 more weeks. Builds are at 4 weeks currently

9 minutes ago, golftherapy02 said:

Thanks for the number. Wasn’t sure I could even call them since I placed it through the fitter and had no info. At least I was told 2 more weeks. Builds are at 4 weeks currently

You’ll need the order number from

your fitter. 

9 hours ago, TheBeerHandle said:

IMG_0065.jpg

Note that pw thru 8 are made with 1025 e just like the tours.   7 thru 4 are made with chromoly.  With that said you shouldn't see such a huge jump.  I would take a close look at your spin numbers.  What simulator are you using?  I wanted trusted anything beyond track man or qcquad with club data.

9 hours ago, TheBeerHandle said:

Thanks mate, I'll definitely give them a go outside before I start tinkering. I definitely don't mind the bonus yards, I just need to be able to account for them!

With my AP2 7-iron, bad strikes would go about 140, good would go 160, and great would go 165.

With the 921F, bad strikes were going 160, good were going 170, and great were going 195!

Here's to hoping it was related to the simulator, but usually I find their numbers to be pretty accurate.

You bet and I hear you. After the launch monitor fitting, the adopted technique is with my Nikon range finder on par threes and approach shots. Shoot the pin, hit the shot, and make notes on all of the results mentally so you get those iron ranges dialed. I’m seeing about a 8-10yard variance over all on the lower lifted irons (4-5-6) strike dependent which build that confidence in scoring. Enjoy the journey brotha. 

30 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Note that pw thru 8 are made with 1025 e just like the tours.   7 thru 4 are made with chromoly.  With that said you shouldn't see such a huge jump.  I would take a close look at your spin numbers.  What simulator are you using?  I wanted trusted anything beyond track man or qcquad with club data.

Good point, and really I wouldn’t have noticed if I didn’t watch all the live streams from Vosh and the boys prior to ordering.  They did a great job bending and most of all on the feel/consistency IMO

Lots of great info in this thread....  I just wish the sole on the 921F wasn't so wide and Mizuno would stop putting badges on this version in the line. That has me

looking at the new Srixon ZX7 but it will take something impressive to get my Kuro irons out of the bag.

Edited by Tzoid

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping Anser 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Mizuno T20 50 , 54 , 58  N.S. Pro Wedge 115 
EVNROLL ER2 Mid Blade Black with Gravity Grip
Titleist Pro V-1X

4 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

You having fliers are an absolute bummer but might save me a four-digit-amount of money 😆

I have had mine for almost 2 months now and have not seen any issues with fliers even with a couple rounds in wet conditions. One of my biggest fears was gapping from the 7-8 and that has been perfect for me. My gaps are bigger now with these than my previous set but a lot of that has to do with loft. Only time I am seeing any shots with lower spin is when I am not catching them clean. They Fly a little shorter and then release. 

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Tour Ad VR 6
Ping G25 16.5 Tour Ad VR 7

Titleist TS2 19.5 Blueboard 83
Mizuno 921 Forged 4-g Modus 105
Vokey sm8 55 F Modus 125

Vokey low bounce k 60 Modus 125
Scotty Cameron Futura 5w

6 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Don't let my experience hold you back from spending a bunch of money! 😉

2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Hmm, interesting point there regarding chromoly. Kind of regretting not just going for the tours now. I didn't really need any added distance, I just figured a little extra forgiveness wouldn't hurt.

I didn't check the spin rates on the "fliers" but I will next time around, I'm guessing they were low. I have also struggled with fliers from the rough with my AP2s, but this was off a clean hitting surface which adds another layer of difficulty. It was on a "Full Swing Golf" sim which should be pretty high quality.

I may also toy with my golf ball choice to see if I can gain back some control there. This was with Srixon XVs which I've found to generally be pretty low spinning.

12 hours ago, TheBeerHandle said:

Not trying to rain on your parade but your bad to great distance spread is huge! 25-35 yards from bad to great makes me think you’ve got some swing work to do because it’s not all the club causing the yardage spread.