Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

31 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

Not trying to rain on your parade but your bad to great distance spread is huge! 25-35 yards from bad to great makes me think you’ve got some swing work to do because it’s not all the club causing the yardage spread. 

I'm a low-handicap golfer with ball-striking being the strongest part of my game (average ~10.5 GIR a round), I'm just being honest with my yardages which I think most people aren't. My bad strikes are usually out to the toe so losing 10-20yds there really isn't unheard of, on most greens that'd just put you around the front edge. Gaining 5-10yds on an absolutely grooved iron won't usually hurt you much either, you'll still usually have a make-able putt. The 921Fs definitely seem to help with those toe strikes, it's just the fliers I'm worried about.

Off to the range/course now to find out a little more!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noodle3872 said:

Not trying to rain on your parade but your bad to great distance spread is huge! 25-35 yards from bad to great makes me think you’ve got some swing work to do because it’s not all the club causing the yardage spread. 

I would think matching smash factor, ball speed, swing speed, and spin to yardages. I would assume with all things averaging out consistently you should be able to pick up a pattern of what the new clubs have to offer.  I know with my fitting I jumped 5mph ball speed giving me an extra 10-15 yards. Would have never accounted for it compared to my cobra f8s

Is it just me or does the JPX 921 forged scratch and show scratches easily?

This is my first set I have bought new instead of used and only a year and a half into golf, and it could really be just me being anal and trying to keep them nice but I keep noticing light surface scratches on the top and very small dents on the top (very likely from hitting other clubs in the bag).

This is just normal wear and tear and I should find beauty in the used look of these clubs because even taking immaculate care, these things occur.

I just think the metal being so soft dents easily. Like I could not imagine what used version of these clubs typically look like. 

Does polish take care most of these scratches? Def don't want to start polish so soon into their life.

I did however notice a decent size dent on the toe of my 9 iron. No idea how that happened today. I didn't hit any rocks. I was swinging poor today so I must of have had a toe shot.

Few other minor dents on the 9 iron near the edge. 

Need to stop being OCD and realize that this occurs. But I am a little surprised that the Mizuno's appear to scratch fairly easily.

Probably doesn't help that I am struggling with my game right now on the course. Making a lot of thin contact which can't be great for the condition of the clubs.

That sounds like a forged club to me. It’s the downside (for me) of forgings but I love the feel.  If you hate that, trade them in on the Hot Metal Pros.  Shouldn’t be nearly as noticeable. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Just now, Minarets said:

That sounds like a forged club to me. It’s the downside (for me) of forgings but I love the feel.  If you hate that, trade them in on the Hot Metal Pros.  Shouldn’t be nearly as noticeable. 

Aw I see. That makes sense. I never considered that. I have been hitting them meh lately, but yeah feel is the most important thing to me and if this occurs which all forged, then Id rather show the use. I wonder what a used forged bag would look like after a few years. Definitely would look pretty used. 

Most good irons are generally forged so this must be pretty common. Like this would occur with most of the MP-20 lineup as well, I assume? 

One additional question... can't tell if this is in my head. But do you feel like the feel of your shorter irons like your 9 iron is as good as your 7 iron? 

It probably is just the way I have been hitting them but of all the clubs in the back the 4-7 feel the best when I hit them right compared to my 9 iron. But it could be in my head or the way I am hitting them. 

It also doesn't help that my range balls are usually when I am puring it and sucking on the course so I dont get to enjoy the feel of the softer balls as much as of late. 

Thanks man. 

The way i have been hitting them, since I got them? I’d say no.  But I haven’t been hitting them well yet.   When I flush a 5i it feels so pure.  But I haven’t been flushing them yet.  I’m spraying them all over so far. 

they “should” feel close to the same but the 8-PW is made of 1025E steel and the 4-7 is made of chromoly. 

Yeah the 4-7 flushed feels like heaven. Since I demo'd the 7 iron, I was sort of expecting the whole set to feel like that.

I am wondering if the difference is how I have been hitting them or the 1025E vs chromoly. 

I remember initially noticing this and then taking out my own ball at the range and flushing the 9 iron and loving the feel. But I haven't recaptured it yet. I am spraying them as well man lol. 

Also, here is what makes me feel good. My instructor owns the MP-18s used.

I just looked on ebay to see if I could find some close up pictures of what they are going to look like used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mizuno-MP-18-MMC-Iron-Set-4-P-RH-1-2-Project-X-LZ-5-5-Shafts/174507902271?hash=item28a17b453f:g:Ji0AAOSw5WVfpU3I

It actually looks better with tons of dents then a couple.

Good to know. My goal is to get 5 years out of these before graduating to a players irons but I have a lot of work to do. I am like a 22 handicap but only been playing since August 2019. 

5 hours ago, TheBeerHandle said:

Don't let my experience hold you back from spending a bunch of money! 😉

Hmm, interesting point there regarding chromoly. Kind of regretting not just going for the tours now. I didn't really need any added distance, I just figured a little extra forgiveness wouldn't hurt.

I didn't check the spin rates on the "fliers" but I will next time around, I'm guessing they were low. I have also struggled with fliers from the rough with my AP2s, but this was off a clean hitting surface which adds another layer of difficulty. It was on a "Full Swing Golf" sim which should be pretty high quality.

I may also toy with my golf ball choice to see if I can gain back some control there. This was with Srixon XVs which I've found to generally be pretty low spinning.

Just an update to this, I didn't have any troubles with fliers out on the course today or even at the range; must've just been a couple of wonky ones on the simulator.

Happy to report, distance control actually seemed to be pretty damn good today and my swing definitely wasn't feeling 100%.

12 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

You having fliers are an absolute bummer but might save me a four-digit-amount of money 😆

• Like 3

I've got 1 range session and 1 round in with my 921 tours. Was in 900tours prior.

921 turf interaction is a bit more diggy than 900tours. Not super deep divots, just a touch deeper at impact and through the strike than 900. The 900tours seemed to glide into the turf and take a shallow divot. 921tours glide through but a bit deeper. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheBeerHandle said:

Just an update to this, I didn't have any troubles with fliers out on the course today or even at the range; must've just been a couple of wonky ones on the simulator.

Happy to report, distance control actually seemed to be pretty damn good today and my swing definitely wasn't feeling 100%.

And there go my savings lol

Thanks for reporting back!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Still waiting for my set to ship. I was quoted 2-3 weeks by DD. Mizuno said they were to ship late last week early this week but nothing. I get bored with equipment easily and the nostalgia and excitement has already worn off 😂. I’m only a little over 4 weeks in on the wait. 

Edited by cz13X4
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, cz13X4 said:

Still waiting for my set to ship. I was quoted 2-3 weeks by DD. Mizuno said they were to ship late last week early this week but nothing. I get bored with equipment easily and the nostalgia and excitement has already worn off 😂. I’m only a little over 4 weeks in on the wait. 

Lol me too. Was so excited to place my order but now the wait. Doing a golf trip the week of Christmas so I’m hoping Ill have it by then. 

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Just got my HMP, first impression is 🔥

• Like 2

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

I haven’t found my stride with the 921 F yet.  When I hit it well, it feels beautiful.  Problem is I’m not hitting them flush too often. Haven’t been able to get specs checked yet. Going this weekend.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I haven’t found my stride with the 921 F yet.  When I hit it well, it feels beautiful.  Problem is I’m not hitting them flush too often. Haven’t been able to get specs checked yet. Going this weekend.  

Did you make a big changes in your specs from your last set?

only adjustment period I have had is dialing my yardages in.

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B KBS 120
Bettinardi BB-28SB

1 hour ago, Smokey227 said:

Did you make a big changes in your specs from your last set?

only adjustment period I have had is dialing my yardages in.

Not really.  2* upright in my previous set. The grips are the only thing real different, midsize +four tour velvets and different shafts.  From steelfiber 95 to recoil 95. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Not really.  2* upright in my previous set. The grips are the only thing real different, midsize +four tour velvets and different shafts.  From steelfiber 95 to recoil 95. 

So different lie angle, different grips and different shafts in different heads? 🤣

I went 2* flatter in my fitting and just that made a big change to my ball flight. I generally lose the ball left with my irons, that lie angle change seemed to take out the left miss.

Edited by garethw
Added a bit.
  • Haha 2

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

16 minutes ago, garethw said:

So different lie angle, different grips and different shafts in different heads? 🤣

I went 2* flatter in my fitting and just that made a big change to my ball flight. I generally lose the ball left with my irons, that lie angle change seemed to take out the left miss.

Oh sorry.  Not different lie. I was 2° before in 0311 and 2° in the 921F 

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

I would bet the shaft change may be a bigger deal than you give it credit for. They may be quite similar, but they certainly aren’t the same. 

I think you stated earlier that you were fit for these, but it’s hard for me to pinpoint where the problem may be if I have too many variables in a change. 

• Like 1

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B KBS 120
Bettinardi BB-28SB

17 minutes ago, Smokey227 said:

I would bet the shaft change may be a bigger deal than you give it credit for. They may be quite similar, but they certainly aren’t the same. 

I think you stated earlier that you were fit for these, but it’s hard for me to pinpoint where the problem may be if I have too many variables in a change. 

Yes I was for for them.  But fit off turf.  I just haven’t had consistent turf interaction/ball striking yet.  I’m still putting that on me.  Iron play is my biggest weakness as a 6 HC.  Driving, chipping, putting are my strengths. I did forget, these are 1/4” long.  Ha.  

so yes, different shaft. Same lie, 1/4” long, bigger grip. 

On 11/18/2020 at 5:19 PM, zetazeta said:

Fitter told me to come back since he could check the shafts after removing the grips. He had asked his mizuno rep and they told him the same thing - remove grip and check the specs at the butt of the shaft. Well, turns out if you shorten the shaft there’s a good chance the text of the specs at the butt will be cut off! So my nightmare with mizuno continues. Fitter is gonna let me know when he hears back. He said most likely they will send the correct shafts and he will reshaft them. Unfortunately he says it will take up to 3-4 weeks..... at least it’s winter here and I’ll be snowboarding more than golf 😕

Don’t think I’ll be ordering from Mizuno again. This has been a nightmare from the beginning. Should’ve went with titelist t200s or something. 

So I can finally close the book on this chapter. My fitter's Mizuno rep ended up putting in an order for another set to my specs. Took less than 2 weeks from when he ordered them to when they arrived and I picked them up. I had my fitter check the lofts and this time around, every single club was bang on to the specs we ordered. 

I'm glad it finally was resolved and I got the clubs I ordered but this whole experience has shown that Mizuno has dog sh*t quality control when it comes to custom orders but when they give a sh*t, they can push out a set of irons in less than 2 weeks with perfect quality control. Oh and Mizuno didn't even offer to give any kinda comp.. not even a sleeve of balls after all this effort driving back and forth to my fitter!

Edited by zetazeta

I did finally get my specs checked today at my fitter.  Every club was 1.5° upright (which I mentioned was 2° earlier as that is what my PXG were).  They were all 1/4” long as well. The only blip was the 7i which was just a hair long but could have been a grip issue. Mizuno doesn’t measure to the butt end of the cap supposedly.  

so now I know the problem is my swing 😉 which I suspected all along.  Gotta work on that. 

43 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I did finally get my specs checked today at my fitter.  Every club was 1.5° upright (which I mentioned was 2° earlier as that is what my PXG were).  They were all 1/4” long as well. The only blip was the 7i which was just a hair long but could have been a grip issue. Mizuno doesn’t measure to the butt end of the cap supposedly.  

so now I know the problem is my swing 😉 which I suspected all along.  Gotta work on that. 

You probably know this,but it’s worth mentioning that it’s possible your Pxg irons stock lie angle could be different than the stock mizuno lie angle. For instance the irons I’m coming from are stock 61.75 6i but the 921T I ordered are 61 .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

You probably know this,but it’s worth mentioning that it’s possible your Pxg irons stock lie angle could be different than the stock mizuno lie angle. For instance the irons I’m coming from are stock 61.75 6i but the 921T I ordered are 61 .

They are. That’s what I was referencing. My PXG were 2° up (from standard)  and my Mizuno are 1.5° (from standard).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thesamwise said:

I'm about 5 rounds in with my 921Fs (with Recoils) and I love them. Combined with Monte's new NTC video, I had my best ballstriking round of the year on Saturday--just drilling greens.

That’s what I got.  921F with recoil. Which vid is his new one? 

1 minute ago, Minarets said:

That’s what I got.  921F with recoil. Which vid is his new one? 

Well, maybe just new to me--it's his expanded No Turn Cast video. He goes into greater detail about that swing than he did in the original NTC video. For me, it's a gamechanger.

Love the feel of the recoils so far. Was worried about spin and launch, but they've been awesome for me. How are they working for you?

28 minutes ago, thesamwise said:

Well, maybe just new to me--it's his expanded No Turn Cast video. He goes into greater detail about that swing than he did in the original NTC video. For me, it's a gamechanger.

Love the feel of the recoils so far. Was worried about spin and launch, but they've been awesome for me. How are they working for you?

I’m struggling with consistency so far. Some I hit feel so damn nice with a baby draw and then some I’m not hitting flush.  Kind of thin.  I gotta work on keeping my weight on my left side during my swing.   Need some range time. Been playing too much.  Although this week is out as I’m traveling for work and it’s 30° in Nashville. 

• Thanks 1