2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

On 12/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, Nick_E said:

I'm having a really hard time believing lofts are off directly from Mizuno.  If you're getting custom lofts i could see it, but standard lofts will not be off unless there is a problem in manufacturing process which i highly doubt. 

I could see lies being off as those are custom for each iron and customer.  With that said Mizuno has had good quality control.  

I've seen the many comments about them being off but I'm guessing the ones that are off are not standard lofts or lies.  Not calling it an excuse just trying to understand the reason.

Nope, lofts were standard but lies were 3 flat. my guess when they (attempted) to change the lies, they affected the lofts and never rechecked them. In my cause almost every lie was off and about 3-4 clubs had the wrong loft. 4 iron was 2 degrees off on loft. Many were at least one degree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pnd4pnd said:

Nope, lofts were standard but lies were 3 flat. my guess when they (attempted) to change the lies, they affected the lofts and never rechecked them. In my cause almost every lie was off and about 3-4 clubs had the wrong loft. 4 iron was 2 degrees off on loft. Many were at least one degree.

I guess I'll get mine checked then.  What a terrible look for mizuno

On 12/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, Nick_E said:

I'm having a really hard time believing lofts are off directly from Mizuno.  If you're getting custom lofts i could see it, but standard lofts will not be off unless there is a problem in manufacturing process which i highly doubt. 

I could see lies being off as those are custom for each iron and customer.  With that said Mizuno has had good quality control.  

I've seen the many comments about them being off but I'm guessing the ones that are off are not standard lofts or lies.  Not calling it an excuse just trying to understand the reason.

I picked my 921T’s up on Saturday and they were ordered standard loft and lie with and extra 1/2 at d3 sw. All of the lie angles were off and all but 2 of the irons were 1deg strong. I’m guessing because I added the 1/2” that’s why the lie angles are all consistently 1 up and they just didn’t bother to bend them back. The lofts are a mystery. It is still irritating, but at least the lengths are correct.

9FF9DA90-6EAE-4A6C-B2FD-219072AD9F17.jpeg

Edited by LIGHT THE CANDLE

On 12/15/2020 at 10:26 AM, caller said:

Played about 5 rounds with 921 Forged.

Coming from 919 HMP, it is

- lot less in size and compact to the ball.

- I was able to hit down on the ball rather than "sweeping" it.

- Distance was half to a club longer. mostly carry too.

- Very accurate. Closer to the holes 

- I can "work" the ball better in a case I was blocked by a tree or branches and I can sling it around and still find the putting green. But I can also lose the shot to right if I don't put in a good swing. 

Overall I am very happy with the purchase and specs were within the tolerance level I expected.

Sorry for the delayed question...just reading through this now.  You gained half to a full club going from HMP to the Forged?  That seems counter to so much other stuff I've read.

22 hours ago, JFM628 said:

Sorry for the delayed question...just reading through this now.  You gained half to a full club going from HMP to the Forged?  That seems counter to so much other stuff I've read.

Correct.

I was fitted Edwinwatts and golf galaxy for HMP but ended up having a fitting session at Club Champions and Forged was the one I can turn it over and stay online with it most consistently. I love it and glad I made the right decision. Anything that came close was Ping I210 but I couldn't have proper height nor enough spin on it so I went with 921 Forged. 

On wet and colder course, I don't see the distance I saw in launch monitor indoor however I still get better distance than my previous gamer. It is also very forgiving. I can hit down on the ball better. Must try this!

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

Looking for some input from the community. Ordered 921 F but only 5-GW. I have a 20* Apex pro hybrid that I love and wondering what to do with the 4 iron spot. Wanted something more forgiving so thinking about the 921 HMP but do I go 4 iron and have it bent 2* weak (to match the loft of the 921 F 4 iron spec) or do I go with the HMP 5 iron which is the same loft as the F 4 iron. Prob the former to keep the length through the set consistent but wanted to see others have done. 

When I was fit I was hitting the F 4 iron pretty well but on the course figured I’d want some additional forgiveness. Thanks 

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

I went 4-PW with the Forged but probably should have done the 4 in HMP.   With my 0311 irons I did the 4i in the XP range with the 5-PW in 0311 P.  I want as much confidence in the 4 as anything.   

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

4 hours ago, Minarets said:

I went 4-PW with the Forged but probably should have done the 4 in HMP.   With my 0311 irons I did the 4i in the XP range with the 5-PW in 0311 P.  I want as much confidence in the 4 as anything.   

You can always add it and have a range shoot out. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• 2 weeks later...

Played with 921 Forged on the course 7 rounds in 10 days.

It has been wet and the course played long. Here's my take on this irons.

- Easier to turn it over and hit fade as needed. Much more workable than previous HMP I gamed. 

- VERY FORGIVIGING!

- Distance is long. 

- Impressed with 9,PW and Gap wedges. Precise with forgiveness. Can hit low and check.

- Had occasional fliers. I still think they were from wet conditions. Not the club issue.

- Size and visual are very satisfying. Not too big behind the ball and encourage me to 'hit down' on the ball. Result in straight and high ball flight. 

I really think Mizuno done well here and I will stick with this new set as I am very happy with it and did not have any adjustment period at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

Hi all. I finally got my new HMPs with KBS $-Tapers and the build looks okay so far. I haven't gotten loft and lie checked but at least the length looks good. However, I did need to remove the grip for another reason and found it interesting that the PW showed a "9I" S Taper Shaft. Based on the KBS spec site, there are taper tip shafts for 2-SW. Is their normal standard to hard-step iron shafts like this? OR do you think this is a mistake?

There was no addition shaft stepping instructions from my fitter when we ordered the shafts.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, cyb0rg said:

Hi all. I finally got my new HMPs with KBS $-Tapers and the build looks okay so far. I haven't gotten loft and lie checked but at least the length looks good. However, I did need to remove the grip for another reason and found it interesting that the PW showed a "9I" S Taper Shaft. Based on the KBS spec site, there are taper tip shafts for 2-SW. Is their normal standard to hard-step iron shafts like this? OR do you think this is a mistake?

There was no addition shaft stepping instructions from my fitter when we ordered the shafts.

Thoughts?

The shortest kbs shaft is 37.5” 9 iron shaft. Same shaft would be used in the 9,w. If you check your step pattern the 9 and w should be the same. Should see a change at the 8

• Like 1

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 VA Composite Slay 

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-p TT Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B KBS Tour 120
Bettinardi BB-28SB

Question for the Mizuno crew. Really want my next set to be Mizuno (coming from Rocketbladez, only set I’ve ever owned) Got fitted for 921s back in November, tried Forged, HM and HMP. Loved the HMPs the most and just haven’t quite pulled the trigger yet. I kind of dig the look of the 919s more (vain, I know). I don’t dislike the look of the 921s, just feeling the 919 more. Just found a set of 919s new that match the shaft specs that I got fitted for exactly, how much of a difference were guys that upgraded seeing between the 919 and the 921 HMP heads?

Edited by Hbaker

2 hours ago, Hbaker said:

Question for the Mizuno crew. Really want my next set to be Mizuno (coming from Rocketbladez, only set I’ve ever owned) Got fitted for 921s back in November, tried Forged, HM and HMP. Loved the HMPs the most and just haven’t quite pulled the trigger yet. I kind of dig the look of the 919s more (vain, I know). I don’t dislike the look of the 921s, just feeling the 919 more. Just found a set of 919s new that match the shaft specs that I got fitted for exactly, how much of a difference were guys that upgraded seeing between the 919 and the 921 HMP heads?

Practically no difference. Just subtle refinements. Pull the trigger if the 919 work just as well as the 921. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

On 1/9/2021 at 1:26 AM, noodle3872 said:

Practically no difference. Just subtle refinements. Pull the trigger if the 919 work just as well as the 921. 

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 919s this weekend. They shipped yesterday and are already here today, insane. Now I just need some warmth in the northeast!

• Like 1

I got fitted back in the middle of November and ended up ordering JPX 921 Forged with DG 95 S200 shafts and 2* flat. They finally arrived yesterday, after being quoted 20 - 30 days delivery. Apparently there was a issue getting the shafts in Asia. I am coming from the original Cobra Forged Tec irons. The Cobra have the same shafts but are slightly longer with slightly stronger lofts than the Mizuno.

Went straight to the range and they feel as soft as I remembered.  I didn't see the left side of the range with an iron. My big miss has been an off the planet left. The course was pretty empty due to a Covid scare last week, so I went for a round.

On course the rights were prevalent. I think I've spent so long playing the ball slightly back in my stance with a weaker grip I need to re-learn ball position and grip. More of a middle ball and neutral grip was producing a far straighter ball flight. Playing in a 1 -2 club wind wasn't the easiest either. I'll have a couple of range sessions this week and then hopefully a round Friday afternoon.

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

I did so much research and back and forth on the various versions of the 921's. At first I thought HMP would be good for a game improvement as I bounce between 12-14 handicap. I hit them and they felt good, I hit these and the Ping i210's well. I think it was more the shaft, I fell in love with the Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 in the stiff. The more research I did and thought I looked to the forged to get some game improvement but a better look at address and more traditional lofts. Since I started golfing seriously about 2-3 years ago and before that I have been playing Ping ISI K black dot irons that are from 1996. These irons require you to work hard, they have a big face but in the longer irons they aren't friendly to mishits. These irons are traditional with the lofts and the more I thought the more I started to look into the Tour model of this iron, the lofts are almost identical to the Pings I have now. I went to my fitter and told him I wanted to try the tours out, he was a bit skeptical at first based on what I was originally looking at. But when I grabbed that club, the weight and feel with the look I thought I had a magic wand in my hand. I hit it really well, iron play is the strongest part of my game, if I just played irons and didn't hit driver off the tee id probably be a single digit handicap, but we don't pay to lay up. I took turns between the forged and the tour and it wasn't even close. I was consistent 170-175 carry with the 7 iron in the tours and the feel off the face with the sound was just unmatched for me. I'm probably not quite good enough for them but I'll figure it out. 7-GW you'll be fine with the tour as long as you are a decent iron striker. I will let you know about 4-6 when I get on the course. I also with a 2 degree upright lie angle as thats what worked best for me. I hope this helps some of you guys as I racked my brain for over a month with information. I'm happy with my decision, regardless of the outcome.

Edited by Arvinho
  • Like 1

TaylorMade M1 2nd Gen  9.5 - Hzrdus Smoke Black Shaft - 6.0 70g

TaylorMade M5 3 Wood 15 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 65 -  75g

TaylorMade Dual Rescue 19 - Stock Shaft - Stiff 65g

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-GW, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 105 - Stiff 106.5g

Titleist Vokey SM8 56 M Grind, 8 Bounce

Titleist Vokey SM8 60 K Grind, 14 Bounce

TaylorMade TP Red Collection Ardmore 3

TaylorMade TP5 pix

On 12/25/2020 at 12:18 AM, sbjinx said:

Looking for some input from the community. Ordered 921 F but only 5-GW. I have a 20* Apex pro hybrid that I love and wondering what to do with the 4 iron spot. Wanted something more forgiving so thinking about the 921 HMP but do I go 4 iron and have it bent 2* weak (to match the loft of the 921 F 4 iron spec) or do I go with the HMP 5 iron which is the same loft as the F 4 iron. Prob the former to keep the length through the set consistent but wanted to see others have done. 

When I was fit I was hitting the F 4 iron pretty well but on the course figured I’d want some additional forgiveness. Thanks 

I did the same thing and went with the 5-GW.  I added a CLK19 Hybrid but i'm having a time hitting it consistently so I'm thinking about going with a 4 hot metal for some added forgiveness.  Anyone interested in a CLK 4 hybrid, hit me up 🙂

Titleist 917D3 9.5 Driver

Titleist 917D2 15* 3 wood

Mizuno JPX921 Forged 5-G

TaylorMade Rac Wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey 2Ball Fang

2 hours ago, fonesy said:

I did the same thing and went with the 5-GW.  I added a CLK19 Hybrid but i'm having a time hitting it consistently so I'm thinking about going with a 4 hot metal for some added forgiveness.  Anyone interested in a CLK 4 hybrid, hit me up 🙂

I went Fli-Hi for the #4, not CLK, it's a bit more iron like.

I’d post the adjustment sheet from my 919 tours that would make your skin crawl.  Even if they’re brand new, do yourself a favor and have them double checked by a competent club builder.   I walked in to pick my clubs up and my guy asked if I pieced the set together one by one off eBay the specs were so far off.  Do your due diligence, no one to blame but yourself if you don’t.  

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

30 minutes ago, Phabs said:

I’d post to the adjustment sheet from my 919 tours that would make your skin crawl.  Even if they’re brand new, do yourself a favor and have them double checked by a competent club builder.   I walked in to pick my clubs up and my guy asked if I pieced the set together one by one off eBay the specs were so far off.  Do your due diligence, no one to blame but yourself if you don’t.  

Yikes!!! same song over and over. Hopefully @Vosh68 can relay these issues to QC. They really need to fix this and gain trust back.

Edited by mtex22

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

1 hour ago, mtex22 said:

Yikes!!! same song over and over. Hopefully @Vosh68 can relay these issues to QC. They really need to fix this and gain trust back.

Part of me hoping that only a very small % of irons are off but probably should get my specs checked. 

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Odyssey #7 CH

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 6:01 AM, Arvinho said:

I did so much research and back and forth on the various versions of the 921's. At first I thought HMP would be good for a game improvement as I bounce between 12-14 handicap. I hit them and they felt good, I hit these and the Ping i210's well. I think it was more the shaft, I fell in love with the Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 in the stiff. The more research I did and thought I looked to the forged to get some game improvement but a better look at address and more traditional lofts. Since I started golfing seriously about 2-3 years ago and before that I have been playing Ping ISI K black dot irons that are from 1996. These irons require you to work hard, they have a big face but in the longer irons they aren't friendly to mishits. These irons are traditional with the lofts and the more I thought the more I started to look into the Tour model of this iron, the lofts are almost identical to the Pings I have now. I went to my fitter and told him I wanted to try the tours out, he was a bit skeptical at first based on what I was originally looking at. But when I grabbed that club, the weight and feel with the look I thought I had a magic wand in my hand. I hit it really well, iron play is the strongest part of my game, if I just played irons and didn't hit driver off the tee id probably be a single digit handicap, but we don't pay to lay up. I took turns between the forged and the tour and it wasn't even close. I was consistent 170-175 carry with the 7 iron in the tours and the feel off the face with the sound was just unmatched for me. I'm probably not quite good enough for them but I'll figure it out. 7-GW you'll be fine with the tour as long as you are a decent iron striker. I will let you know about 4-6 when I get on the course. I also with a 2 degree upright lie angle as thats what worked best for me. I hope this helps some of you guys as I racked my brain for over a month with information. I'm happy with my decision, regardless of the outcome.

Great analysis. I had gone today to get fitted for irons tested Mizuno JPX 921 Forged, Srixon ZX5, Callaway Apex 21, PXG GEN3 0311P. I'm a 12~14 handicapper play once a week. The 2 irons that came close were Mizuno & Apex 21. But the feel on Mizuno was better than the Apex & the that came close to feel & distance was PXG but they are too expensive to buy. 

Ordered 4i of 921 HMP and it came after 6 weeks of ordering being in same state as Mizuno.

Loft/lie and length all checked out fine as ordered. It's a rocket launcher and will replace one of my hybrid. 

• Like 1

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

4 hours ago, DG Tiger said:

Checking to see if anyone can get a discount on Mizuno clubs?

It will be tough for this. When you get custom clubs it’s not easy. You might be able to find some 919s cheap but you won’t find much luck with this 

TaylorMade TP5 pix

13 hours ago, caller said:

Ordered 4i of 921 HMP and it came after 6 weeks of ordering being in same state as Mizuno.

Loft/lie and length all checked out fine as ordered. It's a rocket launcher and will replace one of my hybrid. 

6 weeks. Ugh. I just ordered the HMP 4 iron so I guess I’ll be waiting little longer than I expected. Did you stick with the std loft or weaken it a little to match with the rest of the set. 

Edited by sbjinx

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Odyssey #7 CH

14 hours ago, DG Tiger said:

Checking to see if anyone can get a discount on Mizuno clubs?

I doubt you'll be able to, unless you get a set of 919s some where. For custom built clubs it will be tough to find a true discount.

TaylorMade TP5 pix