2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour, Forged, JPX-921 Hot Metal & JPX921 Hot Metal Pro irons: In-hand photos

easyyy

I am going in for my fitting today.  I have to narrow down which models I am going to hit as I don't have time in an hour to try them all.  I really like the forged and the MMCs.  My buddy has the MP18 MMCs and I found them to be very forgiving and very long....the feel is exquisite.  Am I giving up that much forgiveness by picking MMCs over the forged?  Distance is not an issue for me so forgiveness and looks are the most important things. Any comments would be appreciated.

So to put this gap wedge situation question to rest I just got off the phone with Chris in Georgia with Mizuno the loft goes as such, 51 for the tour 50 for the forged and 49 for the hot metal pro and hot metal,  they each have their own basic matching wedge,  except for the hot metals they share one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, reider69 said:

I am going in for my fitting today.  I have to narrow down which models I am going to hit as I don't have time in an hour to try them all.  I really like the forged and the MMCs.  My buddy has the MP18 MMCs and I found them to be very forgiving and very long....the feel is exquisite.  Am I giving up that much forgiveness by picking MMCs over the forged?  Distance is not an issue for me so forgiveness and looks are the most important things. Any comments would be appreciated.

Doesnt sound like you are intending to go HM or HMP, but are you able to confirm whether the fitter had those heads? 

Would the forged be in line with PXG 0211? I have yet to see the Forged in person. PGA SS or Vans does not have them yet. The lofts are the same as the 0211’s, but wondering if the heads are smaller. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

4 hours ago, JerryTBall said:

So to put this gap wedge situation question to rest I just got off the phone with Chris in Georgia with Mizuno the loft goes as such, 51 for the tour 50 for the forged and 49 for the hot metal pro and hot metal,  they each have their own basic matching wedge,  except for the hot metals they share one.

Put to bed.  

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Just placed my order:

5/6 Hot Metal

7-G Hot Metal Pro

KBS $ Taper Lite Black PVD shaft

I've been a huge KBS Fan, and when I was at the KBS Fitting Studio last fall, we spent some time comparing this to the C Taper Lite that I had in my previous 900 Hot Metals, and 919 Forged. I'm looking forward to it in this combo. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I just got back from my iron fitting.  The new forged looked great and felt amazing.  Much softer than my 900 forged and I thought they felt nicer than the MMCs which I also demoed.  The top line seems thicker than my 900 forged but the blade length is shorter so the iron looks more compact overall imo.  I did the swing DNA tool and it recommended Ctaper X, KBS Staper X and DGX100.  I tried those and really preferred the Ctaper X until my fitter put in a Project X 6.5 shaft.  I hit that shaft the best and it felt great.  I have never hit Project X and was very impressed.    

My final build was JPX 921 Forged, G-5, Project X 6.5, +1/4 inch and hard-stepped, Midsize NDMC black/white, 2 degrees upright and 1 degree weak from P-5 and GW stayed at 50 degrees.  The builder said the irons should arrive on my front door on September 17th which is the release date.  

I did demo the Hot Metal Pro as well but they went into orbit and were crazy long.  My swing speed with a 7  iron using DNA tool for 5 swings was 98 MPH.  HMpro is just too much club for me but I will say they felt very soft and looked great over the ball.  They didn't look as good as the forged but I would have no reservations playing them if I needed more distance in my game.  Very impressed with HMpro.  I really wanted to like the MP20 MMC but I hit them much higher than the forged at the same lof(I don't need more height on my ball) and the feel was not as good imo.  Feel is subjective so I am sure many would disagree.  The forged felt like butter though.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, reider69 said:

I just got back from my iron fitting.  The new forged looked great and felt amazing.  Much softer than my 900 forged and I thought they felt nicer than the MMCs which I also demoed.  The top line seems thicker than my 900 forged but the blade length is shorter so the iron looks more compact overall imo.  I did the swing DNA tool and it recommended Ctaper X, KBS Staper X and DGX100.  I tried those and really preferred the Ctaper X until my fitter put in a Project X 6.5 shaft.  I hit that shaft the best and it felt great.  I have never hit Project X and was very impressed.    

My final build was JPX 921 Forged, G-5, Project X 6.5, +1/4 inch and hard-stepped, Midsize NDMC black/white, 2 degrees upright and 1 degree weak from P-5 and GW stayed at 50 degrees.  The builder said the irons should arrive on my front door on September 17th which is the release date.  

I did demo the Hot Metal Pro as well but they went into orbit and were crazy long.  My swing speed with a 7  iron using DNA tool for 5 swings was 98 MPH.  HMpro is just too much club for me but I will say they felt very soft and looked great over the ball.  They didn't look as good as the forged but I would have no reservations playing them if I needed more distance in my game.  Very impressed with HMpro.  I really wanted to like the MP20 MMC but I hit them much higher than the forged at the same lof(I don't need more height on my ball) and the feel was not as good imo.  Feel is subjective so I am sure many would disagree.  The forged felt like butter though.

Nice! Works to be 1/2” over vs Titleist standard. Should be a good build

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reider69 said:

PX 6.5 hard stepped...you have earned your GolfWRX man card!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

PX 6.5 hard stepped...you have earned your GolfWRX man card!

The Swing DNA tool recommended CtaperX hardstepped so I dialed it back a smidge. The measurement of torque on shaft I had a score of 9.  Fitter said 9 is as high as it goes.  At 42 I guess I can still get after it a bit 

• Like 1

I did hit the forged today (finally).  I should have gone back to the car and brought in my 0311 (Gen 1) to compare but when he handed me a 7i 921F with a 95i Steelfiber shaft i would have sworn it was my PXG except for the fact of the face.  (White bottom line on PXG vs the face paint on 921). They felt close to the same. As good as the 921 felt, I would have sworn it was my PXG.   I didn't trust the sim as I was hitting steady draws with it even when trying not to and the distance seemed a little long for me. I will have to hit again vs the PXG to confirm.  

it obviously felt great and had was long but I need to hit back to back with my clubs and I need to hit on a different sim.  They look good and feel good.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Any feedback from Mizuno on their (un) willingness to meet certain swing weight specs. I reached out via a well known on-line vendor, who ran my specs by Mizuno, and effectively, they said "no go". I was looking to purchase the 921T, -1/4 at D4. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

I had the modus 105 stiff in the hmp, elevate tour in the 0211, and dg amt white in the srixon z585. I had to really concentrate on slowing down with the hmp to get accurate shots. I think the modus 105 was just to light. Think the 0211 preformed the best of the 7 irons. The srixons are a combo and I hit the z785 better thennthe 0211 and it felt better. Irons are the weakest part of my game. Shot a 78 from the blues today with a lost 8 iron ob and a water shot left with the pw on a par 3..

They didn't have the forged yet. Will hopefully go for a fitting later this week between the srixon, 0211, forged and hmp. 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

5 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Careful posting pictures of iron covers on here my friend. That sort of thing could see you being branded a witch and hounded off the site! 

I don't care, I have to keep them in pristine condition with how often I buy and sell them. ?. I already have mizuno headcovers and don't even know what mizuno 921 irons im getting yet. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

9 minutes ago, boycer said:

I don't care, I have to keep them in pristine condition with how often I buy and sell them. ?. I already have mizuno headcovers and don't even know what mizuno 921 irons im getting yet. 

Given that you buy sell often those iron covers kind of make sense now. Lol! 

• Haha 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Those are my srixon and 0211 irons in the pictures, not the ranges. Still had the plastic on the srixon when I went to the range to try the mizunos. Not sure if I'm glad the ping g425 and new srixons aren't out yet or not. 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

27 minutes ago, boycer said:

I had the modus 105 stiff in the hmp, elevate tour in the 0211, and dg amt white in the srixon z585. I had to really concentrate on slowing down with the hmp to get accurate shots. I think the modus 105 was just to light. Think the 0211 preformed the best of the 7 irons. The srixons are a combo and I hit the z785 better thennthe 0211 and it felt better. Irons are the weakest part of my game. Shot a 78 from the blues today with a lost 8 iron ob and a water shot left with the pw on a par 3..

They didn't have the forged yet. Will hopefully go for a fitting later this week between the srixon, 0211, forged and hmp. 

Really want to hear about this. I currently play PXG 0211’s and would like to hear a comparison of the Forged vs 0211’s. They still don’t have the Forged heads at my PGA SS or Vans golf shop. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2 hours ago, Tdsjfb said:

Any feedback from Mizuno on their (un) willingness to meet certain swing weight specs. I reached out via a well known on-line vendor, who ran my specs by Mizuno, and effectively, they said "no go". I was looking to purchase the 921T, -1/4 at D4. 

That’s what I ordered with C Taper 130X Soft Stepped, 1/4” under at D4.

They should arrive next week so I will let you know but they haven’t had any issues meeting my SW in the past with a similar build.

Most recently MMC MP20 

An easy non-scientific start would be to watch Michael Newton’s videos on both. With just about identical swing speeds with the 7 iron, he’s a good club longer with the 921F. Lots of good things to say about the feel as well. Yet another winner for Mizuno.

2 hours ago, bubbagump said:

Anybody pit the 921 F against the HMBs?  

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

2 hours ago, boycer said:

Really want to hear about this. I currently play PXG 0211’s and would like to hear a comparison of the Forged vs 0211’s. They still don’t have the Forged heads at my PGA SS or Vans golf shop. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Those who have hit the 921 Forged, are they low launching/low spin?  i had the 900 Forged and found they launched too low with too little spin.  I realize some of it is shaft dependent, I'd be curious about the stock Modus 105 R or 120.  

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

• easyyy unfeatured this topic