Bryson D.....a psychiatrists dream...

Okay, So did anyone else watch the post round interview with Bryson yesterday? The dude cracks me up. He keeps searching for something equipment wise or physical wise that will let him "dominate". It cracks me up, because he does not need to drive the ball any further, although he continually thinks he needs to, and that is another issue altogether. He thinks he needs to bulk way up, despite the fact that Cameron Champ is literally half his size and outdriving him, and is starting look more like an NFL linebacker than a golfer, which speaks to some body image issues. And finally, his quest will ultimately be fruitless.

From watching him, his mental game is where he needs to focus his energies. He seems nervous half the time, not sure about what to do, indecisive, and seems to always be searching for excuses.

It makes me sad, because he keeps searching for some sort of physical solution, be it clubs, Club shaft length, swing plain, muscle strength, fast twitch fibers, etc, etc, etc. He really needs to sit down with a mental coach and spend almost all of his energy and efforts on improving that part of his game. It would pay off 10 times what his other pursuits are doing for him.

I honestly wish him luck.

Ping G400 SFT Driver

Taylormade M1 3W

Taylormade M1 3H 

Taylormade P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I hope no one thinks that I dislike him. I just honestly wonder if some of his pursuits are going to help him until he gets that other stuff sorted.

Ping G400 SFT Driver

Taylormade M1 3W

Taylormade M1 3H 

Taylormade P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

I am a but surprised he decided driving distance is what he needs to take his game to the next level, I would think by looking at his stats that his wedge and approach game needs more attention. Having said that, he is very entertaining and I think gets too much crap from everyone simply for being different. And regarding his bulk up, if that's what he thinks he needs to do then kudos. The best way to gain muscle mass quickly is work out a ton and eat a ton, then slowly cut the inevitable fat that comes with it and he's done a nice job so far. Happens all the time in wrestling and football... just a bit odd in golf so everyone is freaking out.

They were about even, with Champ out driving him average wise over the course of the tournament on the measured 8 holes by like 5 yards or so. Which is kind of what I find intriguing about it all, in that hes not in some rarified air regarding distance, a group of guys are on that level but just receive far less coverage and fan fare, and did it without having to gain weight and make it a public spectacle.

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta

Oh agreed, but this is WRX man, that's what we do. LOL.

I honestly hope he does well to, I just look at Tiger and Jack and the thing that separated them from their peers wasn't just their obvious physical talent. I would argue that everyone at that level has physical talent, it's the mental game man. I think Tiger and Jack separated themselves from the pack with a dominant mental attitude. They were decisive, not anxious (or at least didn't ever show it) and had the attitude that they would crush anyone who dared to step into a tee box with them. The only modern player that has that to some degree is Brooks. I would like to see Bryson develop that, because, at least in big events, that seems to be an issue for him.

M

Ping G400 SFT Driver

Taylormade M1 3W

Taylormade M1 3H 

Taylormade P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Kinda interesting watching him putt. Looks like a whippy stick and thimble. Other than that he had couple bad breaks that could of gone either way. Flying green on par 5, announcer was right he should of hit 9, and that par 4 he drove and kick to right. I like watching him. As for a Psycho not really he just wears his emotions on his sleeves.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

"searching for excuses" ?

I might suggest that BD searches for reasons, not excuses.

And if you ain't trying to get better you're going to fall behind,,,,,,,,,,,, his improvement, seemingly contending every time out, would seem to suggest that he's just fine,,,,,,,,

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Sounds like Bryson, Jack and Tiger are obsessed with winning. Is that a healthy obsession compared to other mental illnesses?

Probably.........but at what cost?

Jack's back is a mess and seems bitter about prize money these days.

Tiger has had how many operations and injuries?

Bryson is just getting started.

People just don’t get him and Bubba. They are thinking in a different Dimension than most. A mental coach would just shake their head if those two unloaded on them. And I’m not saying genius level. I’m just saying volume of thoughts. A good mental coach would try to turn them off. And if DJ saw the same guy he’d try to get him to have a thought. Truth is folks aren’t the same.

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Bryson just strikes me as a relentlessly analytical guy. His obsession with driving distance is like Daryl Moreys obsession with 3s in the NBA 10 years ago

In time he may be proven to be right, and somewhat of a visionary

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Ping G410 LST 13 w/Ping Tour 75
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Yeah. If you watch his face during the tournament he kind of gets this strange look. It’s hard for me to describe it without being defensive but look for it. I’m also a fan and find him super interesting. There are points with him where I almost find him childish. When he broke his driver he was almost giddy and I remember is his first Masters he was continuously panning For the cameras. Just a different kind of guy.

I like watching him too. I don't really like the swing principles he is applying nor the single length iron thing, but the guy is on a mission and has certainly put in the work. I think he is a bit of a genius and I am trying to appreciate that. He is literally swimming against the current of anything we did in the past and I am amazed at the results. Kudos to him.

I like the dude. He’s just trying to go about the game differently, and find a new or possible better way to do things. He could tone down the rules official arguing type of stuff, but I got no hate for the guy for trying to approach the game in a different way

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Aldila Rogue White 60
Callaway Mavrik 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
Ping G410 hybrid, 19*, Tour 85
Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM8 54/58 D-grind
PXG Closer 2 putter
Titleist ProV1

He suffers from shiny object syndrome which probably 90% of the golf hackers who play suffer from. If I just get that new driver or longer ball, etc etc. We here it everyday here. If I just get that new shaft that kicks a little more. The whole golf industry and company marketing is based on this especially Taylormade's newest and best driver, irons, fairway wood, etc.
I like Bryson. He needs a good short game coach. People can dump on him all they want but he finished 3rd (?) at a major and was in contention. If a few putts, that were very close, dropped - he could have won. Collin's eagle just sunk everyone's plans. Paul Casey probably played some of the best golf in his life but it was not enough.