Cup foam and flag sticks costing me a lot of birdies? Or just friends being unfair?

1 hour ago, sui generis said:

You can guess by a course's covid policies which channel the grill room tv is tuned to. 

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and it isn't ESPN.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From the USGA:3. My ball went into the hole, but due to the foam insert, it bounced out. How do I record my score for handicap purposes? Although your ball has not been holed and you have yet to comp

A few courses around me have got those lift up pin covers. Decent idea but really they are far too thick. Didn’t have an issue til last week, hit the middle of the pin at no real speed and it bounces

I’ve come out the other side of this. Everywhere I play now allows for the removal of the pins. It’s so nice to make short putts again and also be able to firmly strike a 10-footer.    The “fla

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and it isn't ESPN.

Don't get me in Dutch with the censors here. ?

Edited by sui generis
  • Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

1 hour ago, sui generis said:

Don't get me in Dutch with the censors here. ?

A friend of mine has an almost grown puppy with behavior "issues". The dog has gotten to the point where he does something bad (let's say chews up the TV remote) and immediately goes and gets in his "time out" place without my friend even having to put him there. He can't quite resist doing it but at least he does feel really guilty about it. 

6 hours ago, North Butte said:

A friend of mine has an almost grown puppy with behavior "issues". The dog has gotten to the point where he does something bad (let's say chews up the TV remote) and immediately goes and gets in his "time out" place without my friend even having to put him there. He can't quite resist doing it but at least he does feel really guilty about it. 

Dogs don't feel guilt and putting them in the penalty box doesn't correct anything. The dog only goes there because he thinks that's what appeases the owner.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
D & 3W: ST 180 / 21º, MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

A few courses around me have got those lift up pin covers. Decent idea but really they are far too thick. Didn’t have an issue til last week, hit the middle of the pin at no real speed and it bounces out..

Partner refuses to give it me. We are next to the halfway hut. So I say I’ll buy you a sausage sandwich if you agree that was a birdie.

he accepted 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

current swing coached by wrxers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

Up until the pandemic started, I would always remove the pin when putting. Visually it just messed with my head not being able to see the hole, especially on putts from the 5-10 foot range (which you've got to make to score). I've also seen too many instances in the past year or two of the ball hitting the pin and bouncing out where it otherwise would have most likely dropped had the pin not been in.

Since the pandemic started, my friends and I have adopted a more casual rule. Basically, if the putt has reasonable speed and hits the pin, it counts as holed. This was actually the local rule implemented at a course we played back in May, and it made sense for us to stick with it. 

32 minutes ago, danthegolfer said:

Up until the pandemic started, I would always remove the pin when putting. Visually it just messed with my head not being able to see the hole, especially on putts from the 5-10 foot range (which you've got to make to score). I've also seen too many instances in the past year or two of the ball hitting the pin and bouncing out where it otherwise would have most likely dropped had the pin not been in.

Since the pandemic started, my friends and I have adopted a more casual rule. Basically, if the putt has reasonable speed and hits the pin, it counts as holed. This was actually the local rule implemented at a course we played back in May, and it made sense for us to stick with it. 

The problem(?) with the pin rejecting the ball is you can't know for sure. The most noticeable thing that happens, after(?) the pin rejecting your ball is the pin stopping a ball struck too hard and, if not going in off the pin, at least stopping so that the next putt is a tap in or at least very close to same and NOT a 4-7 footer. So, "pin good".

That said, the next(?) most noticeable is hitting the pin and coming OUT, especially when we're "sure" (:classic_rolleyes: ) it'd have stayed in. OK, maybe THIS is the most noticeable thing and stopping close is 2nd. :classic_laugh:

As for the more casual rule (off the noodle), as I mentioned earlier in the thread my scramble group had been using their best judgement when I returned to the group in mid July. When told of it I merely said "Really ? IMO bad idea" and rolled my eyes". (Over 50 years ago my old club up in NYC BANNED "gimmies" - you can easily guess why).  A few weeks later, with no further comment from me, my scramble group changed it to "must stay in". *I* hadn't said another word about it - I'm guessing a number of others did. :classic_wink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Taylormade XFT 64

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

4 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

As for the more casual rule (off the noodle), as I mentioned earlier in the thread my scramble group had been using their best judgement when I returned to the group in mid July. When told of it I merely said "Really ? IMO bad idea" and rolled my eyes". (Over 50 years ago my old club up in NYC BANNED "gimmies" - you can easily guess why).  A few weeks later, with no further comment from me, my scramble group changed it to "must stay in". *I* hadn't said another word about it - I'm guessing a number of others did. :classic_wink:

I'm guessing that was a near-universal experience among long-term groups who have generally played by the rules (at least as regards holing out). At first, the noodle (or other cup-filling device) seemed so outrageous that it seemed like common sense to make an exception for "hit the noodle, should have stayed in". But then it didn't take many round to discover that was far too subjective.

In the end, I simply can't imagine that in my usual game (a large informal group who play together several times a week for years on end) the net result of leaving the pin in plus having pool noodles in the cups has been much different than a wash. Maybe it costs us a fraction of a stroke per round or saves us a fraction of a stroke per round. For sure it hasn't changed anyone's handicap. Just play the course as you find it and the ball as it lies is, as always, a pretty solid principle!

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

I'm guessing that was a near-universal experience among long-term groups who have generally played by the rules (at least as regards holing out). At first, the noodle (or other cup-filling device) see

In the end, I simply can't imagine that in my usual game (a large informal group who play together several times a week for years on end) the net result of leaving the pin in plus having pool noodles in the cups has been much different than a wash. Maybe it costs us a fraction of a stroke per round or saves us a fraction of a stroke per round. For sure it hasn't changed anyone's handicap. Just play the course as you find it and the ball as it lies is, as always, a pretty solid principle!

This was kind of my point. 

In the 20 or so rounds I've played with the noodles in I can count on one hand how many times a putt was questionably sank. Granted, we tend to play Match play so holed putts aren't as much a thing. Personally I have only had 1 instance where a ball may have holed but didn't, and that was a shot from a wet bunker with a ton of spin. The second bounce was off the noodle. 3 inches shorter and there would have been no doubt. 

In the end my group is competing at different courses every week, but we're in the same foursomes playing the same holes in the same conditions. We're all hitting it into the same clowns mouth. It's not like I have to put at pool noodles and my opponent is putting to open cups. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't condone this all the time, but a leaning flag can often be remedied by re-seating the flagstick into the cup in a "deliberate" downward, perpendicular motion.

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter