Iron distances, am I hitting it too far?

I’m currently playing mizuno mp-h4 irons with s300 shafts and have been since spring 2017. Every year I seem to hit the ball longer and longer. My normal carry distance I expect from a 7 iron would be in the neighborhood of 195. My highest lofted club my 58* lob wedge is around my 125 club. At last check my driver club head speed was approaching 120. I feel like I the distance I’m hitting the ball may be hurting my game. I’m wondering if I’m having an issue getting too much lag on the club head and taking loft off causing these numbers or if I have another swing mechanic that causes this.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margot Robbie won't stop texting me, guys. I keep telling her I'm not interested but she won't leave me alone. HELP. 

Too many beautiful women just hanging out in my living room ....

The best part about this thread is learning that I can post all of my future trolling questions anonymously as a "guest".

Hard to know if they yardages are too much without knowing your launch angles, spin, peak heights, and angles of descent.
When it comes to irons, it is about the full package of numbers rather than just the carry distance.

PING G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X

PING G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D

Putter ?????

Bridgestone Tour B X

No such thing as too far unless you can't hit and hold greens. If you're distance and accuracy isn't consistent, then all that length isn't good for anything other than long drive contests.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Definitely too much lag. Lots of threads on how you can get less. ;-)
Kind of hard to take this seriously at first glance, but agree - post up a vid of the swing and that should reveal whether the ss numbers are approaching being accurate and whether how you are getting there may be or may not be an issue. If it's real distance, don't see how it could be hurting your game since you don't identify any negative results.

I have to see how this one turns out.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

OP has me thinkin' maybe my 135 yard 7 iron might be a bit too long for the course I play.

• Haha 1

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Margot Robbie won't stop texting me, guys. I keep telling her I'm not interested but she won't leave me alone. HELP. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Titleist TS2 8.5°

Titleist TS2 15°, 18°

Titleist TS2H 21°

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW

Vokey SM8 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Custom Phantom X8

3 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Tell em you ran out of PE's

• Haha 1

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

On 8/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, Guest said:

I’m currently playing mizuno mp-h4 irons with s300 shafts and have been since spring 2017. Every year I seem to hit the ball longer and longer. My normal carry distance I expect from a 7 iron would be in the neighborhood of 195. My highest lofted club my 58* lob wedge is around my 125 club. At last check my driver club head speed was approaching 120. I feel like I the distance I’m hitting the ball may be hurting my game. I’m wondering if I’m having an issue getting too much lag on the club head and taking loft off causing these numbers or if I have another swing mechanic that causes this.

Okay, I’ll bite: what exactly IS your problem? Can’t you just practice partial shots for everything under 125? Nothing wrong with being a long hitter, your post just comes across as a not-so-humblebrag, so could you tell us what’s the actual issue?

Not sure what too far means? Too far to reach the hole on every shot. Too far to shooting lights out and qualifying in tournaments. Distance dont mean as much if you done have the second part of that equation into the hole. 

TaylorMade M6 Hazrdous Smoke 70 6.5 
TaylorMade SLDR 3 Hazrdous Smoke 70 6.5 

TaylorMade SLDR 5 Hazrdous Smoke 70 6.5

Mizuno Hmb 3 Nippon Matte Black 105X
Mizuno Mp 4 Nippon Matte Black 105X 4-PW

Cleveland Zip Core RTG Tour Issue Spinner 52/58

Cleveland Hunington Beach Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness