• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a fantastic place, but it's the kind of trip that needs to be taken with people who are: Really into golf and are cool with it being a trip that is all about playing a ton of golf In

I suggest going to the Northwest forum if you want to see opinions about Bandon.   Spoiler alert:  you won't find many complaints...

Hard to respond to someone's opinions when they keep them secret.

17 minutes ago, bluetees1999 said:

I have not yet been to Bandon but have been planning a future trip.  After seeing it during the US Am, I'm making a U turn about going.

I'll sit back and let the roasting begin......

No roasting, but I'd love to hear/discuss why. You presented your position without any context or reasoning. 

I did not get a chance to watch the US Am but have a trip with 12 guys planned early October.  Would love some tips from anyone who has made the trip (other than bring 3 pairs of socks per round and lots of golf balls).

M5 10.5: Motore Speeder Tour Spec VC 7.2x
M4 15: Speeder Evo I 757x
TM UDI 2: Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB9.8x
19 P790 4-PW: DG TI X100
TM Milled Grind 50/54 Nippon 130X, HiToe 60
Rife Antigua - Stability

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Nice setting, but it looks like it could be a long miserable day if you are not on your game. Also, the fog is not too attractive.

Actually you can spray it around pretty good and get a decent score, just not too far offline. I’ve never played great there but have never had more fun golfing. 

• Like 1

I suggest going to the Northwest forum if you want to see opinions about Bandon.

Spoiler alert:  you won't find many complaints...

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Had just the opposite opinion  to the OP.  Been there ~10 times most of which where from 2007-2012, once in 2015 and then again in 2018.  Been trying to get to other locations around the country/world but after watching a decent amount of coverage, Bandon shined especially the variety of conditions and I want to get back (especially to play Sheep Ranch).    A couple really windy days, a warmer day with light wind, fog for part of the final round, all sorts of crazy lies, bounces....that is what makes Bandon special.   What I liked most was watching amazing golfers struggle at times with the thin lies, bunkers that sneak out of no where and the variety of each hole from one day to the next.   Coverage was so much better than the traditional dry bomb and gauge PGA tourney.  Ultimate place for US AM match play, buddies trip, etc IMO

Driver:     Ping G410 LST 10.5* Motore X F1 75X or 
                 Speeder Evolution 757 Tour Issue Shiro 75X
Fairway:  Ping G410 5W Tour 75S
Hybrid:    Titleist 816 H1 21* HB 8.8 Tour Spec S
Irons:       Srixon 585 5-PW Modus 105X
Wedges:  RTX4 50M/Modus 115w, 56F/S400TI, MD5 60-8C/Modus 105w
Putter:     Odyssey White Hot #7

The only thing I could anticipate being the reason that one would choose not to go to Bandon (aside from time and money) would be being an extremely fair weather golfer who knows that bad weather will ruin their day (and, if that is you, props for recognizing it...shame, still).  Either that, or a desperate need to score well in order to have fun and enjoy a trip, without realizing that the courses at Bandon, aside from the miserably bad weather days (which are still a blast to play golf in), are extremely scoreable without feeling "easy."  I've only been there twice, and watching the US Am only made me want to return that much sooner.  

• Like 1

PING G410 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6
Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
Bridgestone J40 CB or Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612 or Odyssey Double Wide Flow
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Oh, and it would also be a less than ideal place to go for a group who's primary reason to go on a golf trip is cruise around on carts and get sloshed.  If that's you, it also might be the wrong place (but it also might open your eyes to what a real golf trip could be!). 

• Like 1

Snell MTB X

I have played around 50 rounds there. It is great and also brutal at times when the weather hits. It is great golf, but not for every golfer.

Edited by 2bGood
1 hour ago, brockgolf44 said:

I did not get a chance to watch the US Am but have a trip with 12 guys planned early October.  Would love some tips from anyone who has made the trip (other than bring 3 pairs of socks per round and lots of golf balls).

having just been there in july, i can tell you this.  

Fly into north bend airport, you can arrange for shuttle service to pick you up from airport to resort and vice versa.  once on resort you can just use their free shuttle to get around... you wont need rental car at all.

make reservations for dinner ... its the one time where its hard to get space since distancing and all.

get a caddy.  its expensive but totally worth it. even if you've been there already.

in july sundown was around 9pm so we could play 3 rounds.. its actually fun .. the course conditions changed so much over the day.

in the main bandon dune gift shop there is a wall where all the items are 50% off.  great place to get gifts for fam and friends.

punch bowl putting contests.

shorty's pitch and putt at the practice area.

play the preserve first, its a nice 13 holes to warm up esp if you come in around noon and wanting to do something.

1 hour ago, rtraudt said:

The only thing I could anticipate being the reason that one would choose not to go to Bandon (aside from time and money) would be being an extremely fair weather golfer who knows that bad weather will ruin their day (and, if that is you, props for recognizing it...shame, still).  Either that, or a desperate need to score well in order to have fun and enjoy a trip, without realizing that the courses at Bandon, aside from the miserably bad weather days (which are still a blast to play golf in), are extremely scoreable without feeling "easy."  I've only been there twice, and watching the US Am only made me want to return that much sooner.  

+1 to that. And the prospect of playing 5 of the best courses you can imagine back to back to back to...

32 minutes ago, tjblue said:

I would love to play but since they don't allow carts it's a hard pass.

Just preference? Because they allow them for disability...at least that’s my understanding.

Snell MTB X

9 hours ago, rtraudt said:

Just preference? Because they allow them for disability...at least that’s my understanding.

You are correct, you can get a cart with a medical certificate.

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I love Bandon. I go to Bandon once a year. Living in Northern California, it is much easier to get to the place for me.  I could see the concern if you’d have to fly across half the country, rent a car, and then get slammed with “bad” weather.  My rebuttal to that argument is always that whenever you travel to Scotland/Ireland you take the same risk, and I feel that the Bandon courses are worth the same risk based on their design and quality of play. What Bandon is missing for those long travelers is activities other than golf, because it is truly all about the golf, and only golf. 

As an East Coaster, Scotland/Ireland is definitely easier to get to than Bandon. Overnight flight to LHR, short connection to where you are going, hop in a car and you're typically golfing within and hour or so.

Bandon is wake up early, get to Portland, drive to Bandon. Best case you are there sometime early evening unless you are lucky enough to have an early morning direct to Portland.

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Back in 2018 I was on my way with the wife for a trip to Scotland for 5 rounds and then to watch the Open on Saturday and Sunday.  Sitting next to me was a gentleman with his wife.  We got to talking about golf trips.  He was heading over early, but was meeting his buddies (12 total) in 5 days.  He stated, and since I have not been to Bandon and Scotland only twice that his group could go to Scotland for as cheap if not cheaper than going to Bandon.

The things I remember from that convo......Cost of actual rounds is about the same if you play top end courses in Scotland.  Accommodations in Scotland were cheaper.  Food was cheaper.  He said the overall traveling to Scotland vs. Bandon was about the same.  Most of his group is from Texas and east.  He said something about the connection from the airport to Bandon was ridiculously priced.  He said they also mainly stayed in one general area in Scotland so they didn't have to travel much.

He said that Ireland is more expensive, because the courses aren't nearly as concentrated there and require more moving around.

Personally, Bandon is somewhere I would go once based on what I have seen and heard, but I could go to Scotland every year especially based on the pricing info he gave.  I could go to the St. Andrews area every year and play Old, new, Jubilee, Castle, Elie, Crail, Leven, Lundin, even head over to Carnoustie from there is not too far a ride for a day or hit Kingsbarns if you want to way over pay.  

• Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black
  • Hybrid - ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Others - SUB70 939x 4 hybrid on UST V2 Hybrid and 4 699 Pro Utility on UST Recoil 110 - Testing
  • Irons - Sub 70 639CB
  • Irons - Bridgestone J40 CB
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I watched in confusion on the weekend as these US Am guys continued struggling so badly on the green surrounds after being there all week. I thought it said more about their ability to adapt than it did to the Bandon layout. My one trip, as a single-digit, I found the courses exhilarating but never overwhelming. Lots of birdies, but plenty of bogeys, a lot of risk-reward, fun holes across the entire property. Shots you simply don't see in the Northeast, and in most of the country. My sense was it was easy to break 80, but hard to really challenge par, in other words, you shouldn't fear blowing up, but probably also won't go super low, since you're bound to hit the massive fairways, it's always going to feel playable. 

That said, my friends aren't Bandon golfers. They want to go to Myrtle Beach where they can ride carts, drink, go out at night. Bandon is for golfers, not guys who need to use golf as an excuse to get away.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Back in 2018 I was on my way with the wife for a trip to Scotland for 5 rounds and then to watch the Open on Saturday and Sunday.  Sitting next to me was a gentleman with his wife.  We got to talking about golf trips.  He was heading over early, but was meeting his buddies (12 total) in 5 days.  He stated, and since I have not been to Bandon and Scotland only twice that his group could go to Scotland for as cheap if not cheaper than going to Bandon.

The things I remember from that convo......Cost of actual rounds is about the same if you play top end courses in Scotland.  Accommodations in Scotland were cheaper.  Food was cheaper.  He said the overall traveling to Scotland vs. Bandon was about the same.  Most of his group is from Texas and east.  He said something about the connection from the airport to Bandon was ridiculously priced.  He said they also mainly stayed in one general area in Scotland so they didn't have to travel much.

He said that Ireland is more expensive, because the courses aren't nearly as concentrated there and require more moving around.

Personally, Bandon is somewhere I would go once based on what I have seen and heard, but I could go to Scotland every year especially based on the pricing info he gave.  I could go to the St. Andrews area every year and play Old, new, Jubilee, Castle, Elie, Crail, Leven, Lundin, even head over to Carnoustie from there is not too far a ride for a day or hit Kingsbarns if you want to way over pay.  

I'm in NJ and realized quickly that I could price out a Scotland trip for less daily, and it's easier to get to. That said (and I expect I'll have a better sense after I go to Scotland, since this year's trip was Covid-cancelled), the booking experience is totally different. At Bandon, you know everything's taken care of. In Scotland, it's a bit more of an adventure. That said, whereas I felt good about 5 days in Bandon, my Scotland itinerary is 11 days in two areas, which I was able to sell at home (trip of a lifetime) but I could never imagine that long in Bandon. For comparison's sake, I think 11 days in Scotland will be about the same price as 5 in Bandon in shoulder season, because I'll have several days of $50 greens fees, and the lodging is half the price. Bandon greens fees (plus caddies) add up very quickly.

It's a fantastic place, but it's the kind of trip that needs to be taken with people who are:

• Really into golf and are cool with it being a trip that is all about playing a ton of golf
  • In decent physical condition to be able to walk 36 holes per day
  • Undeterred by weather. Chances are you're going to at least get some wind, and rain is always possible. Having a good attitude that you'll deal with whatever the conditions are and have fun doing battle with the course and the elements is a key to enjoying the courses at Bandon.

Like others said, it's not a place to go with your buddies who only play a couple times a year and just want to get away from their families for the weekend to ride around in a cart and drink beer. It's a place where golf is the star of the show -- there's not a lot else to do nearby, and after walking 36 or more holes in a day, you probably won't have much energy for anything else anyway. But damn, it is heaven on earth for a golf nut. I really want to go back soon.

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to -1.5*), 44.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Ben Hogan Icon Black 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34"