2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Changed my mind about Bandon

I have two groups I go on trips with.  One group has some serious golfers and are fine going to a serious destination, but prefer at least a little night life.  They want to stick to 18 and riding, but all are in good shape and could walk easily.  We go to somewhere there is a PGA event or major each year.  This year was the WMO in Phoenix, next year is the PGA, hopefully they will have fans.  Not a problem dropping money on a nice trip.  4 of 8 are serious and would be fine with Bandon.

The second group there are 7 serious golfers out of the 12 and would be good with a trip to Bandon.  They prefer to go places we can drive (five of us are discussing an Ireland trip next year) because most of them are really cheap.  6 are guys I play regularly with and when it's not sweltering we all prefer to walk.

The ones from each group that like to have nightlife are the one's who's significant others have their balls in a vice.  They never get to have good fun at home so they feel the need to pack it in on golf trips.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I can see both sides.

A buddy of mine took his “golf trip of a lifetime” with his dad, uncle and cousin out to Monterrey. Their round at Pebble was marked by 25-35 mph winds. He said it was still special but also seemed like a bit of a kick in the nuts. It is not inexpensive or easy to get from a small Tennessee city to Monterrey Bay. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Oh, where to begin?  Bandon, home of 5 of the best courses in America, possibly the world. Don't play if you don't want to, but changing weather from hour to hour is the nature of Oregon's coastal climate. Granted, it's very difficult to get there, expensive, and there is nothing there EXCEPT golf, so a big drawback if you like to play in the day and party at night. Walking only is also demanding, but carts are available with medical clearance. Bad weather (wind, rain, fog, etc.), can happen any month of the year, and can change from morning to afternoon.

I've also been to Scotland, played Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Brora, Golspie, Nairn, and Moray. We had incredibly good weather, horrible weather (raining sideways, snow flurries, and crazy wind), and in between weaterh, all in September. Those courses all have similar feel as Bandon, in terms of turf, rough, sand, wind, and general conditions.

I live in Northern California, so Bandon is slightly easier to get to than Scotland, but for East Coasters I can see Scotland/Ireland beating out a trip to Bandon.

• Like 4

I don't mind spending the money to play places like BD (just did PB and Spyglass) but if I'm honest I'm a fair weather golfer. I walk 18 a couple times a week and that isn't an issue, but I do not like playing in the rain or wind, and in fact I will stay home if the weather looks like its going to be sketchy. I realize I may be missing out on a great experience, but I just don't like playing in the weather. That being said I watched the AM and the place looked like it would be a fun course to play - in good weather.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

17 hours ago, RSinSG said:

I don't mind spending the money to play places like BD (just did PB and Spyglass) but if I'm honest I'm a fair weather golfer. I walk 18 a couple times a week and that isn't an issue, but I do not like playing in the rain or wind, and in fact I will stay home if the weather looks like its going to be sketchy. I realize I may be missing out on a great experience, but I just don't like playing in the weather. That being said I watched the AM and the place looked like it would be a fun course to play - in good weather.

This is good honest reflection.  Although cheaper than PB bandon is a lot of money, itd suck to go and be miserable because you only enjoy playing in good weather.  There are tons of golfers who only play in good weather, Golfwrx'rs might forget that sometimes.  

22 minutes ago, oneunderbogey said:

This is good honest reflection.  Although cheaper than PB bandon is a lot of money, itd suck to go and be miserable because you only enjoy playing in good weather.  There are tons of golfers who only play in good weather, Golfwrx'rs might forget that sometimes.  

I concur as well. The weather at Bandon can be awful any time of year and if that is a dealbreaker, I think that's fine.  It's not everyone's cup of tea.  Neither is walking only.  And hell yes BD is very expensive.

1 hour ago, oneunderbogey said:

Completely agree with this sentiment. 

But I'll go one further and say that in high season - BD is not all that much cheaper than PB, if at all. I know you can get all sorts of stay/play packages at PB so I guess its hard to make a perfect comparison but I'm looking at my BD bill for October - and remembering what I paid at PB 6 or so years ago - and its not as far off as you'd think.

Edited by dcmidnight

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Bandon is great!  The only negative is that It's a little pricey considering I can go to Scotland for a week and spend less money. But if you are not into international travel and want to experience true links golf I would highly recommend going. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

BD is not all that much cheaper than PB, if at all. I know you can get all sorts of stay/play packages at PB so I guess its hard to make a perfect comparison but I'm looking at my BD bill for October - and remembering what I paid at PB 6 or so years ago - and its not as far off as you'd think.

I don't see how you can say BD and PB are even close in price.

Peak season: 1 round and 1 night at BD:  295 + 300 = 595. That is in a single room in the lodge.

Pebble is 575 + 860 = 1435. That is in the cheapest room at Spanish Bay.

I can't conceive of any way that PB is even close to BD if you play the same amount of golf and have caddies at both places, etc. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Here's how I can say it.

Six years ago my wife and I stayed at PB for three nights and paid @ $1,150 per night (including taxes) in an email package deal that included a round per day for each of us.

So, is $1,150 REALLY that far off from what we would pay at Bandon at 295+295+300+taxes per day?

Yes it was six years ago lol but for purposes of this discussion, if it is really that far off than I apologize.

I think what I said is - wait no, this is exactly what I said - that its hard to make a direct comparison and its not as far off as you think because PB offers a TON of email package deals throughout the year so its hard to make a perfect comparison. I actually think I said all of those things. To my knowledge - which includes a year planning my trip in six weeks - BD offers absolutely no email packages and no really package deals of any kind. If they do, I screwed up bc I did not use them.

All I can do is provide data points, its not something I really feel strongly enough about to try and defend what I said.

Edited by dcmidnight

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

in my opinion Bandon was over rated. Im not a fan of resorts to begin with. It took me 8 hours to get there. It also took me 8 hours to get to Scotland. Being in Scotland I got to experience a new culture and the courses were just as good. Costs was about the same. The weather, now I got terrible weather at both places. Bandon I got the worst weather ever.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TerrapinGolfer said:

in my opinion Bandon was over rated. Im not a fan of resorts to begin with. It took me 8 hours to get there. It also took me 8 hours to get to Scotland. Being in Scotland I got to experience a new culture and the courses were just as good. Costs was about the same. The weather, now I got terrible weather at both places. Bandon I got the worst weather ever.   

Bad weather can definitely sour an experience.  I've always gone during the peak months to increase my odds of good weather.  

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Here's how I can say it.

Six years ago my wife and I stayed at PB for three nights and paid @ $1,150 per night (including taxes) in an email package deal that included a round per day for each of us.

So, is $1,150 REALLY that far off from what we would pay at Bandon at 295+295+300+taxes per day?

Yes it was six years ago lol but for purposes of this discussion, if it is really that far off than I apologize.

I think what I said is - wait no, this is exactly what I said - that its hard to make a direct comparison and its not as far off as you think because PB offers a TON of email package deals throughout the year so its hard to make a perfect comparison. I actually think I said all of those things. To my knowledge - which includes a year planning my trip in six weeks - BD offers absolutely no email packages and no really package deals of any kind. If they do, I screwed up bc I did not use them.

All I can do is provide data points, its not something I really feel strongly enough about to try and defend what I said.

PB has gotten a lot more expensive in the last few years.

I get the emails regularly and the most recent one in my inbox was $1200 per night per person for one round of golf and lodging. I also compared peak season pricing at Bandon. If you can go in one of the shoulder seasons it gets a lot cheaper.

FYI, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just going based on my experiences of having been to both recently.

Edited by jvincent
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I don't understand the "bad weather" comments: if you go during July, August, or September, the chance of rain is around 1% on any given day.  We have a summer mediterranian climate.  Now, you could get a lot of rain in the winter or spring, but that that is pretty typical of a lot of places.

I grew up about 30 miles from there and we always had our regional travel all-star team practice at Bandon HS. Yeah, it gets foggy and cool in the evenings: this is why God invented windbreakers!  It would be rare if we saw 3 days during a year above 72 degrees; that is the coast for you.  

I think rain is not the only issue; it can also get VERY windy in the summer, right?  And that's high season meaning high season prices.  I can see not having fun when the wind is blowing you sideways, especially at those prices.

Hey I love the place; been there many times, will go again.  I can just see the other side.  It really is not for everyone.

I do remain curious what about the USAmateur specifically made the original poster turn against Bandon though.  Was it the appearance of wind and fog?

I don't get the bad weather comments either. Been both to Bandon and Scotland and had everything possible. Even got snow in Bandon during a round.

On our Scotland trip, first for many of us, first day we had 30+ (gusting higher) with rain and it was a blast. You'd be soaked one hole, dried out the next.

After the first day, the weather was better than what was expected. Didn't get the normal winds and overcast

Everybody relax, I’m here

• 5 months later...

Just finished my second trip to Bandon and can't get back soon enough. I'm a 5 hcp and shoot high 70's to mid 80's there and love the hell out of it. Being prepared for the long walks and weather is important to enjoying it. Never had a better time golfing. I'd take it over going back to Hawaii, Pebble,Arizona, Vegas. Flat out the best golf trip.

• Like 4

Bandon is hard to get to but once you’re there you don’t have to drive anywhere. You don’t need to. Hands down the best resort in America.  Top tier. Wish the food was better but I got tired of fish and chips in Scotland as well. So there’s that. Don’t know how pebble is holding up. We had canceled our annual trip there last august due to Covid. Hopefully the town opens up again since that’s where my wife prefers to hang out. As far as expenses goes bandon was a lot cheaper than pb. We are not talking just the golf and lodging itself. Fine dining is always going to cost more when you get there. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

We Aussies love Bandon. Less travel time than going to UK/Ireland and you can just stay there for a week and play golf to your heart's content with the shuttle service, reasonable food, good watering holes and decent quality rooms. Plus remember the views are superb and these are some of the world's greatest courses. And now the Sheep Ranch. I just think it's a great experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T2GRNN2 said:

This, all day, every day.....

But that’s part of the thing about Bandon. The beer drinkers who go along just to be on the buddies trip have just as much fun as the golfers. That’s not a bad thing as those are the guys that fill the tee times in between the guys who want to play 36. 

Fair point, but I was talking more about the hard core party crowd who are looking for a big party scene (nightclubs, strippers, etc) and some golf during a weekend away from the family.  Not necessarily those who want to have quite a few beers and golf only 18 holes/day.  I see those groups as two different groups in my world.

Also, the one thing I might comment on to those who compare flying from the east coast to Scotland vs flying from the east coast to Bandon Dunes, is to a point, you are comparing apples to oranges.  Yes, you can fly to Scotland from EWR, JFK, BOS, etc in the same or less time than it takes to get to Bandon, but the great Scotland courses are not all within a shuttle ride from Glasgow or Edinburgh.  You need to drive on roads that are not four lane interstate highways to get to Troon, St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Dornoch, Prestwick, etc.  Once you get to Bandon, you are there.  Only shuttle rides needed to get from hotel to practice range to tee boxes.  Flying into Eugene or North Bend means an inconvenient connection from the East coast, yes, but once you factor in time getting to the great Scotland courses from GLA or EDI, total travel time for the Scotland trip is possibly much more than the Bandon trip.

And as full disclosure, while I live in the Mountain time zone now, I have done the Scotland trip while living in the east (put on over 600 miles on the rental car) and I have yet to do the Bandon trip...it's booked for this November.  

15 hours ago, T2GRNN2 said:

Fair point, but I was talking more about the hard core party crowd who are looking for a big party scene (nightclubs, strippers, etc) and some golf during a weekend away from the family.  Not necessarily those who want to have quite a few beers and golf only 18 holes/day.  I see those groups as two different groups in my world.

Also, the one thing I might comment on to those who compare flying from the east coast to Scotland vs flying from the east coast to Bandon Dunes, is to a point, you are comparing apples to oranges.  Yes, you can fly to Scotland from EWR, JFK, BOS, etc in the same or less time than it takes to get to Bandon, but the great Scotland courses are not all within a shuttle ride from Glasgow or Edinburgh.  You need to drive on roads that are not four lane interstate highways to get to Troon, St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Dornoch, Prestwick, etc.  Once you get to Bandon, you are there.  Only shuttle rides needed to get from hotel to practice range to tee boxes.  Flying into Eugene or North Bend means an inconvenient connection from the East coast, yes, but once you factor in time getting to the great Scotland courses from GLA or EDI, total travel time for the Scotland trip is possibly much more than the Bandon trip.

And as full disclosure, while I live in the Mountain time zone now, I have done the Scotland trip while living in the east (put on over 600 miles on the rental car) and I have yet to do the Bandon trip...it's booked for this November.  

I've made this same argument in another Bandon thread. It isn't THAT hard to get to. It is a major highway away from a major airport. And there are closer airports if flying out of the right place or don't mind a layover. Once you're there you're there. Scotland is amazing, one of the best trips I've gone on. Getting to different courses was super stressful though. And there is no international return customs. Last time I flew international before having global entry I waited in o'hare (chicago) for almost 4 hours to get through and get my luggage. I'd rather drive to Portland from Bandon than do that again.

I dont know how I'd ever travel international without Global Entry, Dulles Airport can be absolutely full - meaning they are literally stopping people from walking into the international arrival hall - but with Global Entry you walk right out. I factored it into the cost of a trip 8 or so years ago - think its $100 for five years - so I dont know how people do it without.

And having done both now, I'd say Scotland is far easier, quicker and cheaper from the East Coast than Bandon. 

But they are also both *must do* trips.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

6 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I dont know how I'd ever travel international without Global Entry, Dulles Airport can be absolutely full - meaning they are literally stopping people from walking into the international arrival hall - but with Global Entry you walk right out. I factored it into the cost of a trip 8 or so years ago - think its $100 for five years - so I dont know how people do it without.

And having done both now, I'd say Scotland is far easier, quicker and cheaper from the East Coast than Bandon. 

But they are also both *must do* trips.

I'd still get GE if it was $500 and think about it if it was $1000. Best thing i've ever done travel wise. 

Scotland may be easier to fly to (with GE). Airport to Airport sure. But you have to drive to get to any of the golf regions from Edinburgh or Glasgow. Throw in driving on the other side as a pain if you've never done it before. If you try to play more than just one of the regions you are driving just as much as you would if you drove to Bandon from Portland.