Yeah I guess to be fair, I would never plan a trip like that - ever. We stayed in St Andrews for 8 days and even then we had a driver. I'd never do another Scotland trip without one. But the guys we met up with who were doing one of those trips - playing 18, rushing to get on a 3 hour drive to the next course, and repeating that for 8-10 days - no way, just not for me.

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P770 6i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Putter / TM TP5 Pix

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not really sure why there needs to be a debate regarding Bandon vs. Scotland/Ireland.   Keiser did not build Bandon to mimic the "history and nostalgia" of Scotland/Ireland.  You can't replicate

I lived in Oregon for 10 years and spent a ton of time at Bandon.  I have over 500 rounds on Pacific Dunes alone.  I moved to Scotland a couple years ago so I have a ton of experience with both. 

It's a fantastic place, but it's the kind of trip that needs to be taken with people who are: Really into golf and are cool with it being a trip that is all about playing a ton of golf In

Both Bandon and Scotland are must-dos for the serious golfer IMO.  What brings me back to Bandon are the quality of the courses/experience, and the ability to cram as much golf as humanly possible into a few days.  The resort makes that 2nd part in particular very easy to accomplish.

I've not been to Scotland (and definitely want to go), and I'd imagine the courses/experience are top notch, but getting 36+ in per day is more difficult. Scotland also offers a cultural/historical piece to the trip that Bandon doesn't.  It's just a different type of golf trip.

I do think the "drink first/golf second" golfer or the guy who just wants to play 18 per day will probably go to Bandon once and not return.  The value just isn't there if you aren't playing multiple rounds per day, plus you have a lot of time to kill if you're only playing 4-5 hours/day.  I'd imagine you'd get pretty tired of the resort bars/restaurants quickly.

• Like 2

Played Bandon about 20 years ago. So windy you had to laugh because it was impossible to make a score.

Had better luck with the weather playing golf in Ireland.

GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
GBB Epic 5/7 wood
Maverick 3/4/5 Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 6-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 286 Forged Wedges 54/58
OWorks 2 Ball Fang Slant

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Yeah I guess to be fair, I would never plan a trip like that - ever. We stayed in St Andrews for 8 days and even then we had a driver. I'd never do another Scotland trip without one. But the guys we met up with who were doing one of those trips - playing 18, rushing to get on a 3 hour drive to the next course, and repeating that for 8-10 days - no way, just not for me.

I will say, I love Bandon, the first time I went I felt like I was in Golf Heaven. When my wife and I went to Scotland last year it was just a different feeling. The history, towns, quirkiness, caddies everything there just felt right. Sitting by 18 green at the old course and watching people finish their round or hitting over walls at North Berwick is just unmatched. Bandon is great, but doesn't quite have that feeling to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

So, what is a ball park number on cost . If two people went, so sharing a room, during the summer. What is that number per day. Just the room and 36 holes each day. From what I’m reading here, it looks like using a baseline of $500 per day sounds close?

The numbers are all on the website for the golf and accommodations. 

Just add what you think you'll spend on food and bev.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

So, what is a ball park number on cost . If two people went, so sharing a room, during the summer. What is that number per day. Just the room and 36 holes each day. From what I’m reading here, it looks like using a baseline of $500 per day sounds close?

Not in the the peak of summer.... figure with caddies for 2 rounds a day and room your looking more at $800+.   IF you dont need caddies your looking more around $600 roughly plus food/misc purchases. 

Again this is peak (summer) so depends on when you go as you can half the rates easy during shoulder months.  

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Tensi AV Blue 65x

3 Wood:  Titleist TS3 - Fuji Atmos Red 70x

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 80s

Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 90s

Irons:  Srixon ZX7 5-PW  - Modus 3 105 S (HS+1)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter: Scotty Special Select Newport

On 8/20/2020 at 11:15 AM, TerrapinGolfer said:

in my opinion Bandon was over rated. Im not a fan of resorts to begin with. It took me 8 hours to get there. It also took me 8 hours to get to Scotland. Being in Scotland I got to experience a new culture and the courses were just as good. Costs was about the same. The weather, now I got terrible weather at both places. Bandon I got the worst weather ever.   

Given Bandon was created to mimic the Scottish courses, I tend to say Bandon is just as good as the courses Scotland or at least pretty close.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, 2bGood said:

Given Bandon was created to mimic the Scottish courses, I tend to say Bandon is just as good as the courses Scotland or at least pretty close.

I don’t know how to respond to this. The courses in Scotland are over 100 years old. There are around 550 courses in Scotland. Sure not all of them are world class courses but the amount of true links courses in Scotland is around 85. I don’t know how you can possibly say that is pretty close to the courses in Scotland. That’s like saying someone was inspired to mimic Alister McKenzie courses and it’s pretty much Augusta national. There is a reason they are mimicked after Scottish courses. 

26 minutes ago, TerrapinGolfer said:

I don’t know how to respond to this. The courses in Scotland are over 100 years old. There are around 550 courses in Scotland. Sure not all of them are world class courses but the amount of true links courses in Scotland is around 85. I don’t know how you can possibly say that is pretty close to the courses in Scotland. That’s like saying someone was inspired to mimic Alister McKenzie courses and it’s pretty much Augusta national. There is a reason they are mimicked after Scottish courses. 

Are you saying that originals are the best and can not be improved upon? Or is it possible that something new is better than something 100 years old? Or maybe having the original designer being from Scotland means something? I just am not understanding your correlation that because something is based off something it has to be worse. 

1 hour ago, mallrat said:

Are you saying that originals are the best and can not be improved upon? Or is it possible that something new is better than something 100 years old? Or maybe having the original designer being from Scotland means something? I just am not understanding your correlation that because something is based off something it has to be worse. 

By this logic Japan would be a third world country now. 😀

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, TerrapinGolfer said:

I think we are the same side of this discussion as I was replying to someone who said the Scottish courses are 'just as good as Bandon Dunes.' - I was pointing out it should be at a minimum the opposite. All things being equal I go to Scotland over Bandon (and Ireland over Scotland) for golf. 

I will concede this is a pretty silly conversation I contributed to. But let me see what I can do here to mess this up some more. 

I agree you can't compare the 500 courses in Scotland to the few in Bandon dunes and you do have to get more granular. 

What I have played in Scotland worth noting is Old Course, New Course,  Castle Course, Jubilee, Kingsbarns, Turnberry, Carnoustie, North Berwick, Archerfield Links & Prestwick.

Remove the history and surrounding location from the conversation and some IMO are better than Bandon Dunes, some aren't. 

As the poster above pointed out, I don't really follow your logic in the last two sentences. Plenty of courses draw their inspiration from other courses. Templates holes have been a fundamental part of golf course design for over a century, and there are plenty of examples of holes surpassing the original templates that inspired their design. Even McKenzie used templates in his designs.

That’s like saying someone was inspired to mimic Alister McKenzie courses and it’s pretty much Augusta national.

I don't think it like that all. I think it much more like Macdonald, who studied the great courses and great holes and use their element to inspire his own designs. I still believe it is possible the best golf course has yet to be designed. 

@The Pearl nailed it.

The Bandon/Scotland/Ireland debate is like the blonde/brunette/redhead debate.

There's no wrong answer and ideally you get to play all three.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, The Pearl said:

I am not really sure why there needs to be a debate regarding Bandon vs. Scotland/Ireland.   Keiser did not build Bandon to mimic the "history and nostalgia" of Scotland/Ireland.  You can't replicate that vibe.  If that is your thing, by all means head over to Scotland/Ireland.

Bandon was created to give American retail golfers a "links" golf experience available in the U.S.   Sandy soil, oceanside holes, sand dunes movement to the topography, and of course, walking.  

Many arguments against Bandon are simply ridiculous.

1. Other than perhaps the 3 main hubs to the east, NYC, Boston, Philly, etc. most places you can get to Eugene and be on the range for a nice practice session in the same travel day. 

2. There is tremendous value in "once you there, you are there."  Aside from the design of the courses, the real "genius" of Bandon is the "resort logistics." 5 courses, 1 par 3, the Punchbowl, Shorty's, and the practice facility, all within a few minutes shuttle ride. Not to mention the ability of the staff to work with in terms of shifting times and courses around if possible.  There is no "driving" around form course to course. 

3.  The weather factor is drastically overstated.  All veteran Bandonistas know this.  First of all, any Bandon veteran knows that you ALWAYS take your chances with rain vs. playing in the summer winds.  Paying summer prices with no rain and with high winds is the rookiest of rookie mistakes.  Many Bandon veterans are more than happy to roll the dice in the winter season. If your aim is for the bare bones cost vs. payoff, this is your world.  If not, the highest probability of achieving "value" is the shoulder season.  A 36 hole day in March is $118/ round with unlimited access to Shorty's, the Punchbowl, and the practice facility. Splitting a Lily Pond room is $140/night.  That is $376 per day for sun-up to sundown golf on some of the best courses in the country accessible for the public.  

Yes, if you are a yearly visitor or happen to draw the short straw on your visit, than you might get hammered by the weather.  But in general, if you schedule a 4 day trip, you are going to hit 2 or 3 home runs.  And when it is glorious, it is glorious. 

The larger point of course, is Keiser's goal which was to bring the Scotland/Ireland golfing experience to Americans at a "doable" price point for most golfer's as opposed to heading overseas.  Mission Accomplished ten times over. 

To each his own.  If you are on the East Coast and think it is better to head over to Scotland/Ireland, than go for it. 

.........(mic drop)............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, FairwayFred said:

I lived in Oregon for 10 years and spent a ton of time at Bandon.  I have over 500 rounds on Pacific Dunes alone.  I moved to Scotland a couple years ago so I have a ton of experience with both. 

Bandon is amazing. Absolutely one of my favorite places to play golf in the USA.  It is absolutely authentic links golf, you can play the ground game, watch the ball bounce etc etc just like in Scotland.  Bandon is where I fell in love with links golf.  

I find the biggest difference between Bandon and links in Scotland or Ireland etc is the width of the fairways.  Bandon has very wide fairways compared to most links over seas.  No doubt to make it a little easier and more enjoyable for the resort guests.  The links over here have tighter, more narrow fairways in general.  

Once I moved to MI from OR I did find it easier to get to Scotland than Bandon.  I like the overnight flight and landing early and going straight to the golf course.  The culture over here is also completely different and imo its really cool how golf is a game for everyone over here.  Scotland is cheaper than Bandon for the most part.  The food is better in Scotland too as is the whisky.  People who say Scotland has bad food are eating the wrong things.

Everyone who is serious about golf needs to take a trip to Scotland at some point.  Make sure you don't just goto St Andrews as that's very different from the rest of golf in Scotland especially during the normal busy summer. 

There is no right or wrong answer here Bandon and Scotland are of the best places to visit in the world and everyone who loves golf should try to visit both at some point in their life. 

FairwayFred,

Is there a spot in Scotland that is close to Bandon in terms of having a handful of course within a short drive from each other that you might recommend?

Couple quick comments:

1 - From Washington DC it took me less time to get to St Andrews than it would have to Cabot. So I cant agree with the comment that people need to go there before they go to Europe.

2 - I spent 8 days in St Andrews. It was absolutely amazing. Its very easy to get off the beaten path and go to some great locals spots. Couldnt agree more that if you arent eating well in Scotland, you arent looking hard enough.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P770 6i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Putter / TM TP5 Pix

54 minutes ago, The Pearl said:

FairwayFred,

Is there a spot in Scotland that is close to Bandon in terms of having a handful of course within a short drive from each other that you might recommend?

The closest to Bandon would be St Andrews which is basically just a resort itself.  They have 7 courses on site plus many others very close like Kingsbarns etc. 

Next id recommend the golf coast area of East Lothian which has 21 courses within a 30 mile stretch of coast including greats like N Berwick, Muirfield, Gullane etc. 

There's other options too. Troon and Prestwick are right next to each other and you could also play Western and Glasgow Gailes and drive 45 min or so to Turnberry.  Dundonald is new and also in that area. 

Gleneagles is a very nice resort. 

If your feeling a little adventurous you could do Campbeltown which has 3 great courses and access to 3 others by ferry.  Also a bunch of great whisky distilleries in this area. 

• Like 1

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

53 minutes ago, The Pearl said:

FairwayFred,

St Andrews - Old, New, Jubilee, Castle Course, Eden, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Crail, Elie etc. 

East Lothian - North Berwick, Gullane, Muirfield, Rennaissance Club, Dunbar, North Berwick Glen etc

Ayrshire and Machrihanish - Royal Troon, Turnberry, Prestwick, Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes

Highlands - Royal Dornoch, Nairn, Brora, Castle Stuart. 

They aren't on the same property but there are a bunch of regions with great golf courses. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Couple quick comments:

1 - From Washington DC it took me less time to get to St Andrews than it would have to Cabot. So I cant agree with the comment that people need to go there before they go to Europe.

2 - I spent 8 days in St Andrews. It was absolutely amazing. Its very easy to get off the beaten path and go to some great locals spots. Couldnt agree more that if you arent eating well in Scotland, you arent looking hard enough.

St Andrews is a great place to base your trip out of I was just saying make sure you get out of town and go play some other local spots or you don't really get a true Scottish flavor.  St Andrews to me is its own thing especially during the busy season. 

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

1 minute ago, mci711 said:

St Andrews - Old, New, Jubilee, Castle Course, Eden, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Crail, Elie etc. 

East Lothian - North Berwick, Gullane, Muirfield, Rennaissance Club, Dunbar, North Berwick Glen etc

Ayrshire and Machrihanish - Royal Troon, Turnberry, Prestwick, Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes

Highlands - Royal Dornoch, Nairn, Brora, Castle Stuart. 

They aren't on the same property but there are a bunch of regions with great golf courses. 

Add the islands to Ayrshire and Machrihanish.  Shiskine on Arran, Machrie on Islay and Ardfin on Jura.  All easily accessible by ferry from Machrihanish area.  Also if your in Machrihanish do not miss Dunaverty and stay in Campbeltown.  Great little Scottish town. 

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

On 8/17/2020 at 1:49 PM, bluetees1999 said:

I have not yet been to Bandon but have been planning a future trip.  After seeing it during the US Am, I'm making a U turn about going.

I'll sit back and let the roasting begin......

It's the single coolest, most amazing golf place in the world. Go.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On 2/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, 2bGood said:

Have done both. It's as good. Bandon is windier -- or at least was during the times I was at both.

Edited by Obee

Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff

39 minutes ago, Obee said:

It's the single coolest, most amazing golf place in the world. Go.

After seeing the US Am...plus doing a drive by this last October while in the area...we booked for late June this year.  Amazing setup!

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Tensi AV Blue 65x

3 Wood:  Titleist TS3 - Fuji Atmos Red 70x

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 80s

Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 90s

Irons:  Srixon ZX7 5-PW  - Modus 3 105 S (HS+1)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter: Scotty Special Select Newport

On 2/21/2021 at 6:12 PM, TerrapinGolfer said:

Have you been to Bandon and Scotland? The Bandon courses are crazy good. 

• Like 1