Pinehurst Trip in April

golfgolfgolf123

Hey y'all. Planning a trip to Pinehurst in April. Playing with my dad who is 65 (In shape) so don't want to play too much, but he can surely handle 36 if we ride one round a day. Here is our proposed itinerary, let me know your thoughts or what you would change:

Arrive Tuesday, stay in AirBnB in Raleigh (Flying in)

Wednesday: Round 1: 11 AM Pinehurst No. 8 (Ride)-- Round 2: Par 3, 5 PM-----Spending the night at the Carolina Hotel

Thursday: Round 1: 8 AM Pinehurst No. 2 (Caddie)--Round 2: 2:30 Tobacco Road-----Spending the night at the Carolina Hotel

Friday: Round 1: 8 AM Pinehurst No. 4 (Caddie)--Round 2: 2:30 Mid Pines (Ride)---Spend the night at Pine Needles

Saturday: Round 1: 8 AM, Pine Needles (Caddie)----Depart at 4:30PM

Would love to hear thoughts. It isn't locked in completely, so we have flexibility. Curious as to order, amount of golf, if Tobacco Road is worth $200 bucks, and any tips for the trip and/or courses. Appreciate it!

Edited by golfgolfgolf123

Not sure I'd change much.  Go every year in April (except 2020 fml) and it's great.  I haven't played any of the resort courses except #1 so I cannot comment on those, but Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Tobacco Road are all excellent choices.  You might be pushing it on daylight that time of year teeing off at 2:30, so you might move up the Mid Pines time a bit.  Can't do much with Tobacco Road if you're going to play it in the afternoon, it's a good hike from Pinehurst.  Maybe flip that with #8 and play it first on your way down from Raleigh?  I personally wouldn't pay $200 for Tobacco Road, but it's a fun track.

#2 and Tobacco Road is going to be a tough day.  Both courses are really hard.  Tobacco Road (my home course) is hard the first time you play it.  As far as Tobacco Road being worth $200?  That is a relative question.  I will say TR is in immaculate shape, always.  Whatever they pay the super out there, they need to double it.  The other caveat on TR is that you will not ever play another course like it.  It is amazing.  It is by far and away my favorite course in the Pinehurst area.  Make sure you are paired with someone who has played the course before.  It helps 

TR is only 30 min from Pinehurst.  It's an easy ride

Mid-Pines is one of my favorite Ross courses I have ever played.  right up there with Minikahda in MN.  Greens are incredibly hard to read.  You have to read the grain at Mid-Pines.  I would definitely walk Mid-Pines.  It's an easy walk

Edited by jpbova
  • Like 1

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

2 hours ago, jpbova said:

#2 and Tobacco Road is going to be a tough day.  Both courses are really hard.  Tobacco Road (my home course) is hard the first time you play it.  As far as Tobacco Road being worth $200?  That is a relative question.  I will say TR is in immaculate shape, always.  Whatever they pay the super out there, they need to double it.  The other caveat on TR is that you will not ever play another course like it.  It is amazing.  It is by far and away my favorite course in the Pinehurst area.  Make sure you are paired with someone who has played the course before.  It helps 

TR is only 30 min from Pinehurst.  It's an easy ride

Mid-Pines is one of my favorite Ross courses I have ever played.  right up there with Minikahda in MN.  Greens are incredibly hard to read.  You have to read the grain at Mid-Pines.  I would definitely walk Mid-Pines.  It's an easy walk

Definitely agree with Tobacco Road.  With all of the courses designed by Strantz, they can be visually intimidating off of the tee, but there is plenty of landing zone out there.  The first hole at Tobacco Road pretty much sums that up with those two large mounds framing the fairway.  Past those and the fairway has to be like 100 yards wide.  Did they raise the rates again?  I don't remember paying close to $200 out there when I last played.  

I definitely wouldn't put No. 2 and Tobacco Road on the same day.  Try and switch that one up.  And honestly, if you play a round at No. 2, I'd recommend playing the morning round, have lunch at the clubhouse on the patio so you can watch people come up on 18, and then spend the rest of the day at the Cradle (with a few cold ones).

77E11402-CB83-4130-874B-1D15C33C9DFB.JPG

22493208-6FB0-47E9-831F-7DCD96053083.JPG

TR.jpg

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

11 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

Definitely agree with Tobacco Road.  With all of the courses designed by Strantz, they can be visually intimidating off of the tee, but there is plenty of landing zone out there.  The first hole at Tobacco Road pretty much sums that up with those two large mounds framing the fairway.  Past those and the fairway has to be like 100 yards wide.  Did they raise the rates again?  I don't remember paying close to $200 out there when I last played.  

I definitely wouldn't put No. 2 and Tobacco Road on the same day.  Try and switch that one up.  And honestly, if you play a round at No. 2, I'd recommend playing the morning round, have lunch at the clubhouse on the patio so you can watch people come up on 18, and then spend the rest of the day at the Cradle (with a few cold ones).

77E11402-CB83-4130-874B-1D15C33C9DFB.JPG

22493208-6FB0-47E9-831F-7DCD96053083.JPG

TR.jpg

In season TR is $175 now.  If you play it with any regularity, the players card is definitely worth it.  I pay $50.

Nice pics.  

You are 100% correct about the fairways out there.  I hit 65% of them on a regular basis.  I love that course.  

Edited by jpbova

4 minutes ago, jpbova said:

In season TR is $175 now.  If you play it with any regularity, the players card is definitely worth it.  I pay $50.

Nice pics.  

You are 100% correct about the fairways out there.  I hit 65% of them on a regular basis.  I love that course.  

Ah, that's right.  I forgot that I bought the Player's Card each year.  I want to say we did the Platinum Card and it got two free rounds and a bunch of other discounts.  I lived in Greensboro from 2010 to 2018, so the drive down there wasn't terrible.  We didn't live that far away from Tot Hill (another Strantz), but really didn't like that layout at all.

I think the approach shots there are far more difficult than hitting fairways.  It isn't a long course by any means (6,500 or so yards from the back tees), but making sure that you put the approach on the right level is key.  

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Definitely do TR on Wed and spend the rest of the day on the Cradle. Midweek you'll likely be able to get 2-3 loops in no problem which makes the $50 a lot more worth it. Great itinerary, as was mentioned Mid Pines is easily top-3 in the area with No. 2 and No. 4 rounding out. Only other thought would be maybe sub No. 3 after No. 2 if you guys don't want to trek it over to No. 8 for the Thurs afternoon round. #3 It's basically a mini-No. 2. While people rave about No. 8 and it being a Fazio and everything, I just felt like you could put it anywhere and it'd still be a solid Fazio track, but it doesn't have a much of the Sandhills "feel" as others in the area. 

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

15 minutes ago, RobYakes said:

Definitely do TR on Wed and spend the rest of the day on the Cradle. Midweek you'll likely be able to get 2-3 loops in no problem which makes the $50 a lot more worth it. Great itinerary, as was mentioned Mid Pines is easily top-3 in the area with No. 2 and No. 4 rounding out. Only other thought would be maybe sub No. 3 after No. 2 if you guys don't want to trek it over to No. 8 for the Thurs afternoon round. #3 It's basically a mini-No. 2. While people rave about No. 8 and it being a Fazio and everything, I just felt like you could put it anywhere and it'd still be a solid Fazio track, but it doesn't have a much of the Sandhills "feel" as others in the area. 

Thanks for the response! We have considered doing 3 or another on property, but I think we decided on 8 from talking with friends. Will certainly consider though. Also, I did not know cradle is unlimited play. That sounds like an amazing 2 rounds with some beverages to wind down the night. Love it!

Why do you think MidPines is better than Pine Needles? I'm hearing that more and more which I thought Pine Needles was the King of that resort. Starting to think otherwise (Although I am sure both are great)

6 hours ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

Why do you think MidPines is better than Pine Needles? I'm hearing that more and more which I thought Pine Needles was the King of that resort. Starting to think otherwise (Although I am sure both are great)

a lot of people will tell you that Mid-Pines is tougher.  for me Pine Needles is the tougher course, but I enjoy Mid-Pines more and Overall Mid-Pines is the better course, BUT Pine Needles greens are way harder.  Ross will spit any errant shots off the Pine Needles greens.  Both courses are excellent

Edited by jpbova

I honestly have no idea which is better between Pine Needles and Mid Pines.  PN is kinda the big brother, there's a little more room on the property for longer holes.  Mid Pines is just a great, classic design that has been immaculate every time we've played it.  I would agree that Pine Needles greens are harder but MP greens are very challenging too.  We keep going back to MP -- played there at least a half dozen times, PN only once. 

On 8/25/2020 at 10:26 AM, golfgolfgolf123 said:

PN is longer, and more regulation size (7,015 from tips, 135 slope). MP is short by today's standards at 6,500 from the tips (126 slope). MP always seems to be in slightly better condition compared to PN, but I could see why some golfers prefer PN because MP's shorter length and less width takes driver out of your hands more often. For instance, 7 of the 10 par-4s at MP are sub-400 yrds. Only 2 of the 11 par-4s at PN are less than 400. 

It's just preference. I enjoy MP more because the shorter holes play to more strategy off the tee and let me use a variety of clubs. PN kind of just felt like I could hit driver everywhere (for reference, I felt the same way about No. 2 vs No. 4, in that No. 4 required more strategy off tee, while No. 2 is strictly a second/approach shot course as you can pretty much bang driver constantly).   

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

In April, consider pairing Mid Pines and Pine Needles on the same day; same comment with Pinehurst 2 or 4 and 8 with the latter course each day in carts.  That will allow earlier tee times for the second round of each day.  I also really don't think a caddie at Pine Needles is worth the squeeze.

Personally, I'd play No. 2 by itself on one day, as it is as difficult a course as there is in the area and it deserves to be thought about over a drink or four after the round is complete.  JMO.

Edited by MaxBuck
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 10:24 PM, MaxBuck said:

In April, consider pairing Mid Pines and Pine Needles on the same day; same comment with Pinehurst 2 or 4 and 8 with the latter course each day in carts.  That will allow earlier tee times for the second round of each day.  I also really don't think a caddie at Pine Needles is worth the squeeze.

Personally, I'd play No. 2 by itself on one day, as it is as difficult a course as there is in the area and it deserves to be thought about over a drink or four after the round is complete.  JMO.

Appreciate it. Also, go Bucks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing beats a golf trip with the old man!Not sure how time strapped you are but don't wear him out.  It could be hot and the sun will be stronger then you'd expect esp that many days. 

Lots of good advice above.   Not sure where you're flying form, I'd recommend adding a day or getting in earlier the first day and golfing to ease it out.  Maybe have another day with just 18 and play the cradle twice.  

Also, April can be an interesting month as it's warming up and the Bermuda grass has been dormant for 5 months.  Courses in NC typically start to green up in late April and aren't lush until mid May.  This past year it was June before it really came in, some years can be sooner. I'd recommend late April if possible.    

That is a nice lineup!!! I wish i was going,. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Just got back from a long weekend at Pinehurst.  I get the idea of taking a cart on No. 8 because of the elevation changes, but I would walk it with a caddie for the experience, if possible.  At least take a fore-caddie to help ball hawk and read the greens.  No. 2 is an easy walk - it is relatively flat, but damn it's a hard golf course (not that No. 8 is easy).  The only other thing I will add is that our group had more fun with a putting contest on the Thistle than playing the Cradle.  You have to hit off of mats on the Cradle, which may or may not be your thing.  Have a great trip together!

Edited by JDFish
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

2 minutes ago, JDFish said:

Just got back from a long weekend at Pinehurst.  I get the idea of taking a cart on No. 8 because of the elevation changes, but I would walk it with a caddie for the experience, if possible.  At least take a fore-caddie to help ball hawk and read the greens.  No. 2 is an easy walk - it is relatively flat, but damn it's a hard golf course (not that No. 8 is easy).  The only other thing I will add is that our group had more fun with a putting contest on the Thistle than playing the Cradle.  You have to hit off of mats on the Cradle, which may or may not be your thing.  Have a great trip together!

Is that always true at cradle??? That could be a game changer. I may want to do the putting course instead 

4 minutes ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

Is that always true at cradle??? That could be a game changer. I may want to do the putting course instead 

I can't answer that because we didn't play it when we were there 2 years ago.  But I wouldn't be surprised because of the amount of play it gets.  And you don't need a tee time for the Thistle - just grab a drink and go.  There were lots of people playing both - but, by the amount of trash talking and laughing we heard (and shared ) it seemed more were having a great time on the putting course.

Edited by JDFish

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

5 minutes ago, JDFish said:

I can't answer that because we didn't play it when we were there 2 years ago.  But I wouldn't be surprised because of the amount of play it gets.  And you don't need a tee time for the Thistle - just grab a drink and go.  There were lots of people playing both - but, by the amount of trash talking and laughing we heard (and shared ) it seemed more were having a great time on the putting course.

We had more fun at Punchbowl at bandon dunes than at preserve, but it was also pretty foggy. Worth the thought though. Glad you had a great trip! I like the idea of riding 8 so my dad doesn’t wear down, but I do like forecaddies 

I agree with Cactus, and at 61 I’m past the cram as much golf in as i can on a trip.  To me No.2 should be a stand alone round. Take the time afterward to have a grest lunch in The Deuce then do the cradle or thistle. 

Also No.4 is a very tough walk.  If your dad has done 36 at Bandon, he will probably be ok.  I believe its CPO with a forecaddie.   Just something to think about 

Definitely a bucket list trip, to share with your dad!  Enjoy!

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good info. Planning a November trip myself. If you “had” to play one of the lower-tier Pinehurst resort courses—#1, 3, or 5—which would you choose? This would be the afternoon round paired with #4 in the morning. There isn’t going to be enough time/availability to get to 6/7/8/9 off property and finish by dark. We’re playing #2 on a separate day. Thanks, all. 

12 hours ago, ecdh said:

Good info. Planning a November trip myself. If you “had” to play one of the lower-tier Pinehurst resort courses—#1, 3, or 5—which would you choose? This would be the afternoon round paired with #4 in the morning. There isn’t going to be enough time/availability to get to 6/7/8/9 off property and finish by dark. We’re playing #2 on a separate day. Thanks, all. 

#3 and I think the replay rate is only 50 bucks so it's not a bad option to tack on 

1 hour ago, allparz said:

Play #3 and you will quickly realize how bad your short game is....

I would play #1 - It's Donald Ross - solid layout with tricky greens.... only 1 and 2 are Ross...

#3 is also Ross

1-3: Ross

4: Really just a Hanse course now but has been renovated like 5 times or something

5: Ellis Maples

6: Fazio

7: Rees Jones

8: Fazio

9: Nicklaus

• 2 weeks later...