Women's Sets

My girl is getting back into golf and she seems pretty serious about it this time around. She has an old, mixed set we bought off the bay a long time ago. Want to upgrade her and was surprised there isn't a sub forum for Women's equipment here. Anyway I just started looking into sets but not really sure where to begin when it comes to womens equipment. What's good, what's not? which brands have the most selection, customization for women's clubs? I don't know if it's really worth it to have her fitted at the moment as her swing is changing pretty frequently as she gets better. Just looking for a bit of help here to get pointed in the right direction. Thanks. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few questions: What's your girl's skill level? How tall is she? How good are her golf skills overall (I assume she's still relatively new to the game since you're asking)? What sort of shots does she struggle with now? I think all of those things are important to know in order to give the best possible answer. I think there is good value in getting some quality lightweight women's clubs, especially if your girl isn't that big/strong.

Here's my story: My wife has been my constant golf companion for 12+ years now and we decided to get her some new clubs after getting serious about the game again (we had cut back on playing while our kids were young). She had been playing Callaway X-20s (obviously great clubs), but wanted something new. She ended up trying to Ping G Le2 irons/hybrids and loving them. They actually have multiple shaft options even for women and it's easy to get the clubs built to spec (my wife is only 5'2" so she plays 2 degrees flat for her irons). She hit a reasonably good ball with her X-20s, but the flight with her Pings is a lot higher and has quite a bit more carry overall. It's definitely made a big difference in her game, I think she's probably a good five shots better with these clubs than her old X-20s and simply hits a much better (higher, further) shot overall.

So, I think most clubs are probably pretty good these days, but I'd definitely take a look at Ping's options for ladies. They're great for maximizing carry and launch and are super light-weight so they're easy to swing. They also have great fitting options (length, lie, shaft, grip) if she needs some adjustment from stock. They're obviously not cheap, but you might be able to find a deal on some that are a few years old.

Anyway, good luck!

If your lady is smaller and has a lower swingspeed, she could look into the Wishon 730 CL set. This is a specialty set designed for players with a swingspeed of less than 80 MPH.

Offerings include a 16* driver to ensure good launch, 20* and 26* fairway woods, hybrid irons, and special wedges. The irons have 6-degree loft increments rather than normal 4 degrees. A full 730CL set would include eight clubs plus a putter.

https://wishongolf.com/designs/sets/730cl/

Wishon clubs are custom-fit only, so you would need to find a Wishon fitter.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

The best deal, STILL, in womens clubs, is the newest of the old Nike stuff in women's flex. Can be had for cheap on ebay. Also take a look at Mizuno JPX and ST series clubs in women's flex. They sell for pennies on the dollar on ebay.

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

We bought a putter, a few single irons, a hybrid, and driver on callaway pre-owned and put together a half set with the approximate lofts of: 55*, 45*, 35* in the irons, a 25* hybrid, and a driver around 15*.

I will say I did end up buying a specialty sand wedge, the set SW was tough for her to use so we got a used cleveland CBX ladies SW which ended up being great.

Yardage gaps have been pretty good, I see this half set being great for a beginner (up to a 39 hdcp so far and improving). If/when she gets into lower 20s/high teens hdcp we may make the decision to get a fitting done. If she never decides to get that serious then we are all set.

My wife started with a set of Adams irons and some Nike fairway/hybrid/driver that we bought on the bay. Once she got serious, I actually took her for a proper fitting for irons. Something we've discovered (and I imagine a lot of women fall into this category) is that at her swing speed, there isn't enough of a gap to support a traditional iron set. For her, we went with G700's and started at the 7i. She goes 7i-9i-GW in the G700. She needed a wedge for chipping and pitching, and preferred the look of the G700 SW to the Glide or any of the other specialty wedges. We still need to do something with her hybrids/woods, and I think going with a hybrid in the 23-24* range and then a fairway around 17* is going to make the most sense.