2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Graphite Design AD TP - Still Using?

OspreyCI

I have used (in multiple drivers) the Graphite Design AD DI, IZ, and VR. One shaft I have not tried and keep reading about is the AD TP. The profile seems like something I could get along with. 

My favorite from feel and performance best to worst:

AD, IZ, VR

What about the TP? Read all reviews. Wanted to start a new thread. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I have played the TP in my driver and 4W for the last two seasons. For me it has been a great shaft. Solid feel, mid-launch.

Full disclosure, I'm giving the new Rogue Silver 110 a tryout right now. Not because I don't like the TP, but because I have a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I have the AD TP in my 3 wood and as a backup for my driver. Really good shaft. By most accounts it provides a similar feel to AD DI, but tighter and lower spin. Not a totally different shaft than the Smoke Yellow in your driver. Definitely a firmer handle than AD DI, but still retains some of the loading feel and kick through impact. No longer in my driver because I wanted something with a little firmer midsection, more one piece feel, that I could turn over a little easier.  AD TP is still relevant and one of the most underrated shafts out there. I would encourage almost anyone looking at the AD DI to skip the DI and buy the TP instead. 

Edited by cw1209
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

10 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

I have the AD TP in my 3 wood and as a backup for my driver. Really good shaft. By most accounts it provides a similar feel to AD DI, but tighter and lower spin. Not a totally different shaft than the Smoke Yellow in your driver. Definitely a firmer handle than AD DI, but still retains some of the loading feel and kick through impact. No longer in my driver because I wanted something with a little firmer midsection, more one piece feel, that I could turn over a little easier.  AD TP is still relevant and one of the most underrated shafts out there. I would encourage almost anyone looking at the AD DI to skip the DI and buy the TP instead. 

Good stuff. The DI is special, but can get away from me in the driver. The TP being a little tighter and lower spin seems like money.

The Smoke is just ok, it has been a filler. Thinking about putting a AD TP in a PXG Proto 0811x+. Too bad PXG doesn’t have them to demo when I get fit. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I was fitted into the TP about a year ago with my TS3 15* 3-wood.  Playing the 70g x-flex and have had really good results - I'd like to try the 80g version just for kicks but haven't seen any good deals floating around.  When I'm putting a good swing on this combo (SS with this club is around 107mph) I'm consistently getting mid-launch and low spin bombs landing around 250 and rolling out another 10-15 yards.  It's been fun putting this club into play more the last 3 weeks as I've not hit my old driver (I'm waiting for a new TM SIM from my club fitter).  Last point, for me the shaft really responds well to a smooth swing - I don't have an aggressive transition and love how this shaft just feels right.

• Thanks 1

I switch between the IZ-7X and the TP-7X in my MAV SZ.  I really like it.  I need a "Goldielocks" shaft between them.... the IZ is just a bit too much launch/spin; and the TP is just a bit too low.  My best drives have come with the TP, but the IZ is a bit more friendly to get around the course with for me.

I would agree the TP has a great feel one-piece feel.  I have gamed the TP, IZ, Rogue White 130, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow, and EF White T1100 in the past couple years.  The TP 100% is still a valid shaft.  I think it gets lost in the shuffle do to other similar profiles from other brands; but it's still a primo choice.  

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

7 minutes ago, Hougz79 said:

I switch between the IZ-7X and the TP-7X in my MAV SZ.  I really like it.  I need a "Goldielocks" shaft between them.... the IZ is just a bit too much launch/spin; and the TP is just a bit too low.  My best drives have come with the TP, but the IZ is a bit more friendly to get around the course with for me.

I would agree the TP has a great feel one-piece feel.  I have gamed the TP, IZ, Rogue White 130, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow, and EF White T1100 in the past couple years.  The TP 100% is still a valid shaft.  I think it gets lost in the shuffle do to other similar profiles from other brands; but it's still a primo choice.  

Thanks. How would you compare the TP to the Smoke Yellow?

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

19 minutes ago, Hougz79 said:

The vr is right between the tp and the iz.  To me the shaft that feels most like the tp is the vr.

• Like 1

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

Would the VR spin more than the TP? I used the VR for a few rounds and it was pretty good. I just like a tad more feel or kick. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

5 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Would the VR spin more than the TP? I used the VR for a few rounds and it was pretty good. I just like a tad more feel or kick. 

The vr and the tp both feature their fast taper technology which in my opinion makes he mid section feel stiffer than it is and honesty neither one of them really kick much to me.  The xc I just started playing actually has the di feel but the kick is a little higher in the handle.  TBD if it stays in the bag.  I may go back to the vr in driver to.

Yeah the vr should spin a little more but I’m not sure how noticeable it will be.

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Thanks. How would you compare the TP to the Smoke Yellow?

Different heads so it’s a bit hard to compare.  I had the Smoke Yellow in a TS3 and the TP in a MAV SZ.   I did find the Smoke Yellow to be pretty high launching compared to what I was used to, but was getting acceptable spin numbers.  Honestly I didn’t get along too well with the counterbalancing of the Smoke Yellow, so it only lasted a month before getting kicked from the bag.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I have AD-DI in my hybrid, 3, and 5 woods.  AD-VR 6s in a Ping G400 Max.  AD-TP 6s in a Mavrik SZ-3D.  AD-IZ 7x in a SIM Max.

The IZ feels the most stable to me, however it's a full flex stiffer and 10g heavier.

The DIs are smooth and just work so well, however I've never tried them in a driver.

The VR lacks feel for me for some reason (likely the head).  It's also a bit shorter (maybe 44.75 versus 45.25)

The TP is solid, but seems to launch extremely high and is tough to turn over for me.

Part of the issue may be that 6s is a bit too soft for me these days, but I'm heading to club champion next month to figure that all out.  May well be selling all of these driver setups soon (along with a Tensei PO 6s for the G400, Ventus Black 7s TM tip, Ventus Blue 6s for TM (special gold New Years Edition for the TM, and Ventus Blue 6s for Cally.

Did someone mention they had a problem?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

25 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I have AD-DI in my hybrid, 3, and 5 woods.  AD-VR 6s in a Ping G400 Max.  AD-TP 6s in a Mavrik SZ-3D.  AD-IZ 7x in a SIM Max.

The IZ feels the most stable to me, however it's a full flex stiffer and 10g heavier.

The DIs are smooth and just work so well, however I've never tried them in a driver.

The VR lacks feel for me for some reason (likely the head).  It's also a bit shorter (maybe 44.75 versus 45.25)

The TP is solid, but seems to launch extremely high and is tough to turn over for me.

Part of the issue may be that 6s is a bit too soft for me these days, but I'm heading to club champion next month to figure that all out.  May well be selling all of these driver setups soon (along with a Tensei PO 6s for the G400, Ventus Black 7s TM tip, Ventus Blue 6s for TM (special gold New Years Edition for the TM, and Ventus Blue 6s for Cally.

Did someone mention they had a problem?

Oh man! GolfWrxer of the year! You are 2020 when it comes owning GD shafts. Haha. Good stuff. 

TP still sounds good to me. VR didn’t like much after all. IZ was pretty good. DI is amazing in my 3 wood. TP could be money in a low launch,

low spin head. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 5 months later...

Ad tp TX only thing that gives my ventus black a run for its money - and it might be bc the heavier weight in the ad tp tx 

ventus blk 6x and red 9x vs ad tp 70tx and ad di 90x 

• Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

What MRC shaft is most like the AD TP? 

Asking for a friend 🤔

Edited by OspreyCI

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Asking for a friend 🤔

Just my opinion 

hybrid of Pro white tx and KK XD Tx

most impressed with launch med , and lower spin of the TP

• Thanks 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

4 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Asking for a friend 🤔

Mitsubishi Diamana BF or TB. Most of the Tour AD products follow a soft mid "Blue" profile. The feel in the hands will vary from shaft to shaft. The Tour AD magic is their ability to make a bunch of subtle variations to the same general shaft profile. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

4 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

Mitsubishi Diamana BF or TB. Most of the Tour AD products follow a soft mid "Blue" profile. The feel in the hands will vary from shaft to shaft. The Tour AD magic is their ability to make a bunch of subtle variations to the same general shaft profile. 

Thanks. ZF not close?

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I don't have EI profile data on that shaft. From what i see on the Mitsu website, I would definitely add the ZF to a short list for comparison to the TP. On paper the "mid launch low spin" description seems like a good match. Just don't have any experience with the ZF shaft. Based on a few reviews i have read, it seems like people describe the shaft as having a "hinge" in the middle with a lot of kick. Even with profile matches, two shafts can feel very different during the swing. 

• Thanks 1

I am wondering how the new AD HD compares to the TP for anyone who has hit both. On paper the descriptions seem close, with TP probly having a slightly stiffer tip.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

2 minutes ago, KevCannon said:

I am wondering how the new AD HD compares to the TP for anyone who has hit both. On paper the descriptions seem close, with TP probly having a slightly stiffer tip.

Would like to know also. I see the same thing as you. Maybe the HD is easier to turn over? 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

The hd spins a little more.  Launch is very similar.  TP has a slightly stiffer feel.

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Thanks 1

I am currently using TP in my driver and DI in my fairway woods.

I think TP is a perfect for a driver (or even fairway) if you are looking for lower launch/spin compared to DI.

You can feel the TP kick but doesn't kick as much as the DI.

Very stable and accurate (like most Graphite Design shafts) and have had no issues with this shaft at all. 

Also I feel more of the swing energy is transferred to the ball when struck as I have gained distance compared to my previous stock Tensei AV Blue.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

2 hours ago, hypergolf said:

I am currently using TP in my driver and DI in my fairway woods.

I think TP is a perfect for a driver (or even fairway) if you are looking for lower launch/spin compared to DI.

You can feel the TP kick but doesn't kick as much as the DI.

Very stable and accurate (like most Graphite Design shafts) and have had no issues with this shaft at all. 

Also I feel more of the swing energy is transferred to the ball when struck as I have gained distance compared to my previous stock Tensei AV Blue.

That accelerated energy through the ball is really what makes the TP so good. That was GD’s first shaft to have “accelerated taper rate”, on the TP the accelerated taper is from the mid section down to the upper portion of the tip. I think that’s the reason GD chose that part of the shaft, as it does seem to create a little faster ball speed more frequently. Fujikura did this with the Ventus shafts, but the accelerated taper starts just below the butt section.

Bettinardi BBzero

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Would like to know also. I see the same thing as you. Maybe the HD is easier to turn over? 

From what i have heard, the HD has a more linear (one piece) feel more similar to the IZ. But launch is in a similar window to the TP according to a couple people that have hit the HD. Looking at the specs I am curious on how it feels, because i have hit TP (still my 3 wood shaft and back up driver), and briefly tried the IZ. 

Bettinardi BBzero

2 hours ago, mokedaddy said:

The hd spins a little more.  Launch is very similar.  TP has a slightly stiffer feel.

TP has a stiffer butt section than most people realize, but has that noticeable kick feeling. Does HD have that same kick through impact, or does it feel closer to an IZ?

Bettinardi BBzero

1 hour ago, KevCannon said:

TP has a stiffer butt section than most people realize, but has that noticeable kick feeling. Does HD have that same kick through impact, or does it feel closer to an IZ?

It has the same fast taper technology as the tp which is what gives it the firmer feeling.  The three ftt shafts in the GD lineup all feel similar which is why I play them.  HD in driver, TP in the 3 wood, and VR in my 5 wood.

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Like 1