3 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Didn't the Mavrick line just come out this year? What will this do to their sales as I thought the Mavrick was the best Callaway has ever came out with and now Bertha is back. What is this supposed to do that would be better than the Mavrick. 

Well the Callaway marketing propaganda is that this doesn’t replace maverick it’s parallel. Same thing they did with epic/rogue which makes no sense. Though I would love to hear how this doesn’t accomplish what the maverick max line was supposed to. Are those irons and woods no good? I guess they do this every couple years though with a fall big Bertha release that cannibalizes their own stuff on paper. It must sell since they keep doing it 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just heard that Toyota’s releasing a new Corolla so that must mean the Camry’s no good.  

The Mavrik Max and B21 lines will have overlap, but there are marked differences. I can speak to the Driver and the irons which I have in both lines.   The Max irons are great game improveme

I’m not a person that slices but ordered a three wood in the B21 line. It took about one hit for me to get use to the offset but can only say WOW! It’s got to be the easiest 3 wood to hit I’ve ever pl

Posted Images

13 hours ago, caloge said:

Well the Callaway marketing propaganda is that this doesn’t replace maverick it’s parallel. Same thing they did with epic/rogue which makes no sense. Though I would love to hear how this doesn’t accomplish what the maverick max line was supposed to. Are those irons and woods no good? I guess they do this every couple years though with a fall big Bertha release that cannibalizes their own stuff on paper. It must sell since they keep doing it 

I just heard that Toyota’s releasing a new Corolla so that must mean the Camry’s no good.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
40 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

I think it says a lot that you went and tried to find a comparable And the best you could land on was an apples to orange reference that really just proves my point. Now if the corolla was the same size, had the same features and targeted the same buyer as the Camry maybe you’d have a point. 

lol Callaway always has 3 lines....SGI/GI/Players and the BB is always the SGI line. Of course lots of their products cross those lines but thats the basic of it and neither is meant to 'replace' the other. 

Just like when people thought Mavrik was replacing the Epic Flash....nope.

• Like 1

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / TS2 3W + Tensei AV Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

31 minutes ago, caloge said:

I think it says a lot that you went and tried to find a comparable And the best you could land on was an apples to orange reference that really just proves my point. Now if the corolla was the same size, had the same features and targeted the same buyer as the Camry maybe you’d have a point. 

On the contrary.

Car manufacturers have multiple cars in their lines and they update them every year for the most part. The Corolla and Camry are very similar, much like the Mavrik and the Big Bertha irons. No one complains when a new model gets released every year on the car lots, but for some reason it's heresy when a golf company offers more lines and options. It's confounding sometimes.,

It's OK. People hate it when OEMs release things because it devalues what they bought recently. Some folks also hate "marketing" because they want something (or someone) to blame when their new purchase doesn't drop their score by 10 strokes immediately or add 20 yards to every drive. Callaway's always been a favorite whipping post for those folks and I'm sure that will continue while they still maintain their status as one of the top OEMs. 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

On the contrary.

Car manufacturers have multiple cars in their lines and they update them every year for the most part. The Corolla and Camry are very similar, much like the Mavrik and the Big Bertha irons. No one complains when a new model gets released every year on the car lots, but for some reason it's heresy when a golf company offers more lines and options. It's confounding sometimes.,

It's OK. People hate it when OEMs release things because it devalues what they bought recently. Some folks also hate "marketing" because they want something (or someone) to blame when their new purchase doesn't drop their score by 10 strokes immediately or add 20 yards to every drive. Callaway's always been a favorite whipping post for those folks and I'm sure that will continue while they still maintain their status as one of the top OEMs. 

I don't have a horse in this race, i just always found it funny that Tmag caught so much flack for their release cycle when callaway's is the same. Simply saying that these clubs sit alonside the maverick line doesnt change how similar they are to the maverick max offerings. This isnt a segment i am looking at, but im sure teh mav max line was probably very good, and buyers shouldnt have any remorse about it. My point was simply that Callaway's marketing jargon has become this rather funny way of dancing around the fact that they release 1.5+ full lines of woods every year. 

That's it for me. I have to check toyota's site now to see what all this buzz about the new corolla is all about. 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Thinnedit said:

So FYI for those who think this replaces Mavrik Max etc. Big Bertha 19 has completed its 2 year cycle and recieves an update in Big Bertha 21.

B21 runs alongside other models such as Mavrik and Apex.

On a side note. BB19 was a great club and this range will improve on that. Can't wait to give them a swing.

I suppose this is true BUT then that means Callaway decided the "Big Bertha" line of irons are no longer going to be a premium (at least in price) offering.  I believe the Bertha 19 irons were pretty expensive where these sit on the lower end price wise.  Do I think a club mfg. just decided "we'll start making things more affordable?" NO.  So that means there is something different.  To me... this looks like a "mass Dick's Sporting Goods" type of product line.

And again,  as a long-time Callaway customer it's getting more and more difficult to get these "runs alongside of" arguments.  If Mavrik was one set of clubs then maybe I'd get that but the Mavrik line was 3 different head designs... a Pro, a standard and a Max.  So Callaway is telling us that in less than 6 months of golf season- they needed something that couldn't be found in 3 models of Mavrik irons?

Callaway is falling in love with their trademark names and can't figure out what to use.  Big Bertha, X, Steelhead,  Epic, Apex, Fusion not to mention new ones like Rogue, Mavrik...

I'll put it this way... Callaway created a potential "game changing" category iron with the 2016 Apex CF16.  Then "improved" it with the material that they, PXG and Taylor Made are all using with different names to improve feel.  Yet Taylor Made seems to have the PR for the 'game changing' players distance with P790.  I think its mostly because we get no consistency with Callaway lately.  It's just more and more models then bringing back old models and price points all over the place.  And before anyone says "well those options are good for you as a consumer"... that's only true if they release at the same time for you to test.  Again, these aren't for me... but if I just got fit into a Mavrik Max driver or Mavrik irons, yes they're still good for you but in the back of your mind you're like "well crap, I didn't know they were bringing these out- I wonder if that Big Bertha would help my slice a little better?".  It's just frustrating as a consumer to an extent.

Taylor Made just CRUSHED it with the P700 series release... great looks, clean lines, easy to understand, even a combo chart!  I know Callaway has their players category stuff coming later but if I were getting fitted today for new irons, my bag would for the first time in a while have something besides Callaway products in it.  I'm hoping the new Apex series (if that's what they do and that seems quick from the newest Apex/Pro) is a good one.

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

Really looks like they took a Fusion and slapped Flash face and Jailbreak in there and painted it.  It's not for everyone, but it's on my list of drivers to try.  Less curvature on my drives would be really really helpful.  Don't have as much time to practice anymore, so if it calms down the result of a loose swing, I'm all ears.

5 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

lol Callaway always has 3 lines....SGI/GI/Players and the BB is always the SGI line. Of course lots of their products cross those lines but thats the basic of it and neither is meant to 'replace' the other. 

Just like when people thought Mavrik was replacing the Epic Flash....nope.

Then why do all the tour staffers who play still play Epic Flash have Mavrik headcovers on them?  I get it and "in theory" they don't.  Epic Flash is adjustable. Mavrik isn't. I get it. But the fact is each line is the same price and completely quit marketing one and put all that emphasis on the new one then it "replaces" the older one. Even if it's slightly different.

Looking on the Cally website and nope... no Epic Flash available.  I'd say it's replaced by the Mavrik.  That's fine- it doesn't bother me but I've just gone the other way on the "it didn't replace it" argument.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 1.30.12 PM.png

Edited by cmatthews77

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

18 minutes ago, cmatthews77 said:

Then why do all the tour staffers who play still play Epic Flash have Mavrik headcovers on them?  I get it and "in theory" they don't.  Epic Flash is adjustable. Mavrik isn't. I get it. But the fact is each line is the same price and completely quit marketing one and put all that emphasis on the new one then it "replaces" the older one. Even if it's slightly different.

Looking on the Cally website and nope... no Epic Flash available.  I'd say it's replaced by the Mavrik.  That's fine- it doesn't bother me but I've just gone the other way on the "it didn't replace it" argument.

Like I said, some of the items 'cross paths' or what have you, but they arent meant as direct replacements. Callaway uses the same driver adapter for all their models so its easy to swap between lines...but you're not going to see any tour staffers using the BB 21 line anytime soon. Maybe a few here and there who want it specifically.

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / TS2 3W + Tensei AV Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

1 hour ago, cmatthews77 said:

Your correct from an optics point of view and really a retail point of view, but from a release and design perspective. Not correct.. I think optics and retail are really what matter. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 7X

3 wood: Titleist Tsi3 16.5 Haz RDX black 70 X flex

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

On 8/20/2020 at 1:09 PM, azkaevolution said:

Really looks like they took a Fusion and slapped Flash face and Jailbreak in there and painted it.  It's not for everyone, but it's on my list of drivers to try.  Less curvature on my drives would be really really helpful.  Don't have as much time to practice anymore, so if it calms down the result of a loose swing, I'm all ears.

This was exactly my first impression as well. Which, as a current Fusion player, I find very intriguing. 

Callaway Fusion 9* - Tensei Blue 65S / Callaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi S / Callaway Rogue X 18 - Synergy 60 S / Callaway Rogue 4, 6-PW - TT XP95 S / Callaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300 / Odyssey Rossie Metal X Milled / Snell MTB Black

I have been intrigued by this driver since they released the info on it. Do I need, slice correction? No. But I know people who do. So I preordered this with a evenflow t1100 white stiff. Still a few weeks out from delivery. But I'll be putting it through the test.  Low spin slice buster, im skeptical for sure. 

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

Oh, one thing I found out when we tried to place an order, you CANNOT change the loft on the irons.  Maybe a local fitter will do it, but Callaway won't.  It makes me think the hosel will snap if someone tries, so I don't know if we would have our guys attempt it.  But this is interesting.

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

A deeper Fusion, is that what this driver is? May give her a go next spring if the price off CPO is agreeable. Did they chrome the irons, or at least give them a finish that doesn't look like a crazy person took a needle to them all night? SGI irons need chrome or whatever Ping did to the old Gs. 

Edited by Tax77
On 8/29/2020 at 4:58 AM, Ize said:

The line was just released in Australia $830 AUD for the driver seems overpriced considering the mavrik max is $745 AUD cant see them selling too many down here, im sure they will be heavily discounted in 6 months time.

Very typical of the Australian market. All the new stuff generally gets a bit of a higher pricing point on first release then a little while later they drop the prices back in line with other items from that company. I think as a whole most of the OEMS do try and price there clubs at a similar price point to remain competitive in the market place.  I know that if driver was 900 and driver b was 700 and there was only a few yards (no more than 8 ) then the driver at 700 goes in the bag.  Callaway are not the only company that does this, most of the OEM do this type of higher price style on there new gear.  Bear in mind in Australia the pricing is generally set by the big box stores and not pro shops.  Say maybe its just the shop fronts trying to get a bit of a cash grab not the actual OEM. 

Not sure what kind of impact the new B21 Big Bertha will actually make. I never knew the Big Bertha left since 1991, you had the BB Fusion, BB Diablo, GBB epic, V series, Alpha 815 as what happen to the inverted cone as that didn't last too long and now the B21 as I know I left out several other Big Bertha models. I hope it does well but it's too hard to even get excited about new drivers

I totally agree with Callaway is pushing to many different drivers / clubs into a shrinking market.

When it comes down to the B21 I don't get the positioning... when they where announced I thought, ok that is the less expensive line for the recreational golfer looking for forgiveness.

For the same price point as the Mavrik I don't get it. It is direct competition to the Mavrik Max from where I am standing....

The Mavrik Max and B21 lines will have overlap, but there are marked differences. I can speak to the Driver and the irons which I have in both lines.

The Max irons are great game improvement irons and possibly fringe super game improvement.  The B21 irons are noticeably more forgiving  and longer in distance; clearly super game improvement. They are, however, larger and not for everyone. My guess is that most looking for forgiveness will favor the B21. I don't see many choosing the Max after hitting the B21. You could say that the Maverick max iron is now superseded.

The drivers possibly better coexist. The Max moves the ball either way more easily. By the way, you will see the Max driver on tour. The directional ball flight is also adjustable. The  B21 cuts side spin more aggressively and is visibly lower spin; I swing around 95 mph. The Max design wise has higher MOI, but the B21 is more forgiving.  In that the B21 fights harder to bend the ball, it will not be as predictable in moving the ball, unless you just want to hit a straight cut. Doubtful that you will see this on tour.

Once I hit the B21, I could see that it was a more niche product and it is also a much more exotic application of technology. Callaway puts out a lot of product and market segments will overlap, but their applied  technology is clearly advancing. Some models will overlap more than others, it just gives you more choices. Look for the Epic Flash and Mavrik replacements to have lower spin. A lot of that tech will come from the B21.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I received my 9* BB21 driver with evenflow today. Managed to get 18 in quick. This driver will definitely benefit someone who fades the ball. Slicers May straighten out to a fade. Its definitely a draw biased driver. It is similar to the fusion ( which I had as well) But it's more draw biased. Its a light driver, I haven't weighed anything. But used a driver swingweighted at D5. Initial thoughts is the ball flight is higher than I'm used . i dialed it down 1* and the flight much more penetrating.  This driver is on par with my G410 LST with overall distance. The bertha a little easier launch. Not much easier, but enough notice.  And it's 100% easier to hook. Overall it's an insanely straight  Driver. A normal swing resulted in laser straight ball flight. 

Edited by juggernaut0629

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

Went in to buy a Mavrik Max, walked out with the B21. Had no idea about this driver until today. It is the straightest driver I have ever hit, I fade the ball and my miss is a slice. I could not slice this driver, every shot was straight or a slight draw. The Max was good, but the B21 was better (same price). They just got the B21 LH demo in, I took the plastic off, hit 10 balls with stock RCH and my Speeder 661. I bought the demo. I guess I'll see how it goes.

20200910_143054.jpg

• Like 2

Callaway B21 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Mizuno ST190 3W - GD AD DI 6

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 - DG120 S300

Mizuno JPX Forged 919 (5-PW) - DG120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I really do think there is a place in the Callaway lineup for these clubs.  I'm totally fine with a predictable update cycle.  I used to love Titleist's 2 year model.  I used to hate TMs "3 drivers a summer model".  I have recently become very comfortable in that generally most manufacturers come out with a new product every year.  It's ok to have some brand overlap if it is "predictable".  A good example is Mizuno's MP/JPX cycle.  MP one year, JPX the next.  There could be argued a bit of overlap between some MP lines and the JPX Tour line.  But those that like it are comfortable with it.  

Callaway is less transparent on their release cycle though, and I can see how some folks are getting miffed at this.  I believe they are in a cycle of an "adjustable" and "non adjustable" cycle.  Epic (adjustable), Rogue (non-adjustable), Epic Flash (adjustable), Mavrik (Non)...etc.  But dropping this (B21 line) 3/4 through a season is a bit odd.  I agree it's probably a niche product, and very effective for the target audience they are aiming for.  I do however, feel bad for if those in that target market who purchased a MAV Max thinking that was the latest and greatest that year.  

I think the B21 line definitely has a place.  Time will tell if if will be predictably refreshed.  If it's an every other year thing...fine.  But if this was a one off, it would have been most beneficial for the consumer if it released at the same time as MAV.  I hope it works for those it's marketed to and develops into a predictable update cycle.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60g TX (USA Edition)
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 70g 6.5 (USA Edition)
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19*, Ventus Hybrid 8X

Taylormade P770 4-PW, PX LS 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

I’m like the fairway concept of the lower profile and offset. While I don’t slice , it might help with a two way miss( push or pull) currently have with the epic flash FWs. May have a only a pull right to think of now. 

As far as this line is needed no . But I’m a curmudgeon when it comes to needed. Wanted though, yes a lot of people love Big Bertha’s name. The offset in the hybrids and fairways are a very nice addition. Lot of people like matching irons , woods , and fairways in their bag. Not me but some. 

Edited by NoTalentLefty
More info

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I hit this and I was impressed. It is not the driver for me. But for the right golfer it will be really good. It does not want to go right at all. 

22 hours ago, lefty1978 said:

Went in to buy a Mavrik Max, walked out with the B21. Had no idea about this driver until today. It is the straightest driver I have ever hit, I fade the ball and my miss is a slice. I could not slice this driver, every shot was straight or a slight draw. The Max was good, but the B21 was better (same price). They just got the B21 LH demo in, I took the plastic off, hit 10 balls with stock RCH and my Speeder 661. I bought the demo. I guess I'll see how it goes.

20200910_143054.jpg

like this on principle. It’s Left handed.

• Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

2 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I hit this and I was impressed. It is not the driver for me. But for the right golfer it will be really good. It does not want to go right at all. 

It really is. I have hit it bunch at the range yesterday and today. I usually hit a fade or dead straight. My miss is a lazy slice, not a banana slice, but still a slice. With this driver, I can now hit a nice draw and even a slight fade, but most of the time it want to go straight. What impresses me is the distance, it is as long as any driver I have. This driver is like teeing up with one of those illegal straight flight balls with distance. I can see if you play a draw, this driver is probably not a good fit. This is the first draw biased driver I like. Did not get along with any of the Pings.

Edited by lefty1978
  • Like 3

Callaway B21 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Mizuno ST190 3W - GD AD DI 6

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 - DG120 S300

Mizuno JPX Forged 919 (5-PW) - DG120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

30 minutes ago, lefty1978 said:

It really is. I have hit it bunch at the range yesterday and today. I usually hit a fade or dead straight. My miss is a lazy slice, not a banana slice, but still a slice. With this driver, I can now hit a nice draw and even a slight fade, but most of the time it want to go straight. What impresses me is the distance, it is as long as any driver I have. This driver is like teeing up with one of those illegal straight flight balls with distance. I can see if you play a draw, this driver is probably not a good fit. This is the first draw biased driver I like. Did not get along with any of the Pings.

I think is because it does not look draw biased.

• Like 1