Callaway Bertha B21 line

I went ahead and ordered the 3 wood without a demo . Just because the offset intrigues me and can’t get any height with the Epic Flash 3 wood. Don’t have an issue with a slice on anything so this might be a stupid move . We will see.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

22 hours ago, callawayjay said:

With my “The Attas” 6s it’s longer than the mavrik max for me. Outside and in a sim inside. 

I am contemplating putting a HZRDUS yellow Or ventus blue in mine. I initially thought it might be the swingweight in mine. Possibly being too light with the evenflow t1100. But when I put it on the scale it's coming in at D5. Which is where I've been playing my 410LST lately. 

Edited by juggernaut0629

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

On 8/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, lakecowboy said:

It's a great offering, but at the price point a lesson package with a teaching pro would fix any slice problems.

Did you see the recent Rick Shiels video?  He took a 21hcp player with a wicked slice and compared the B21 with the Mavrik...the B21 didn't fix the slice, but a 10 minute set of lessons with Rick did.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

On 9/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, NoTalentLefty said:

I went ahead and ordered the 3 wood without a demo . Just because the offset intrigues me and can’t get any height with the Epic Flash 3 wood. Don’t have an issue with a slice on anything so this might be a stupid move . We will see.

Hope it works for you. I was able to check these out today. I think the 3 wood in particular looks great, sets up well at address. The fairways in this line are going to be popular. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I’m not a person that slices but ordered a three wood in the B21 line. It took about one hit for me to get use to the offset but can only say WOW! It’s got to be the easiest 3 wood to hit I’ve ever played . The low profile launches the ball without a balloon effect. Great height and distance. 
Was contemplating giving up on a 3 wood and add a super hybrid . Glad I waited. 

• Like 3

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

6 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

I’m not a person that slices but ordered a three wood in the B21 line. It took about one hit for me to get use to the offset but can only say WOW! It’s got to be the easiest 3 wood to hit I’ve ever played . The low profile launches the ball without a balloon effect. Great height and distance. 

I put a super hybrid in the bag lol. Just shows how different strokes for different blokes.  You could chuck in a 20 degree super hybrid and play the 3 wood. Just saying could get best of both worlds. 

7 hours ago, JB lefty said:

I put a super hybrid in the bag lol. Just shows how different strokes for different blokes.  You could chuck in a 20 degree super hybrid and play the 3 wood. Just saying could get best of both worlds. 

I was thinking hard about the 17 degree super hybrid but couldn’t find one. Love me some hybrids. Got 3,4,5,6 as hybrids now. I’m at an age where 3 woods go too low. Just got a unction to keep trying . Glad you like your super hybrid. I’m sure it’s a keeper. 

• Like 1

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

15 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

This is a nice report and I am not surprised. The 3 wood looks easy to hit. I definitely like the look from address. Did you get the stock RCH shaft? Anyone know who makes that shaft?

24 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

This is a nice report and I am not surprised. The 3 wood looks easy to hit. I definitely like the look from address. Did you get the stock RCH shaft? Anyone know who makes that shaft?

I did get the stock shaft . The 55. Maker ??? Don’t know.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

16 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

I did get the stock shaft . The 55. Maker ??? Don’t know.

Somewhere on the internet someone said it is a Callaway shaft made by Aldila, but I have no confirmation. Don’t really see a lot on it. Would be great if so because Aldila is top-notch. I was just curious. Not anti-made for. If it performs, all that matters. Usually what I run into in these draw-biased lineups are shafts that feel a little whippy, but there’s always a stock option that works. But I am definitely trying this 3 wood over the weekend. I would love a club that I know takes the right side out of play as a second option off the tee and off turf. 

10 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

I was thinking hard about the 17 degree super hybrid but couldn’t find one. Love me some hybrids. Got 3,4,5,6 as hybrids now. I’m at an age where 3 woods go too low. Just got a unction to keep trying . Glad you like your super hybrid. I’m sure it’s a keeper. 

I go at the ball pretty hard. My driver swing speed is about 110-115 so I have a little speed.  The 17 super hybrid is defo a low spin low flyer. If you are having trouble with elevating the 3 wood i would steer away from the super hybrid.  I would suggest trying a 20 degree heaven wood and  then transition to like 16.5 4 wood. The b21 with a loft sleeve would be a sure winner in the 3 wood for you. Loft up my friend. 

• Like 1

Demoed the Driver today outdoors with the stock 55 RCH shaft in stiff.  Going in I said no way a stock 55 gram shaft will work for me as I am used to playing something a bit more stout like an Kiyoshi Black or Tensei White.  I was blown away by how easy this driver is to hit.  High launching, piercing low spin bullets that just went straight and were rolling out when they hit the ground.  Ball just rockets off the face.  Sound, looks and forgiveness were impressive.  I could game this thing in a hearbeat.

• Like 1

I can add a little more insight on the B21 driver.  It is not an instant draw inducer.  It is not an instant fade avoider.  It is frankly, despite claims, much like every other driver in that it will put out what you put into it.  That said, it does seem to give me, in early testing, the combo that I was sort of looking for over the past few months with my standard Mav and Mav Max drivers.

From the beginning, despite the Mav Max being on paper the more logical driver for me, the standard Mav performed better for me.  I could never really get the Max dialed in--heavier weight in heel, heavier weight in back, different weight combinations, different shafts, etc.  It looked great to me, was very forgiving, but was never consistent enough.  The standard Mav performed better for me on a more consistent basis out on the course.  The standard Mav is lower spin (generally positive), but slightly less forgiving than the Max.

In early testing, the B21 seems to combine the traits I am looking for--lower spin, penetrating launch, very forgiving, great feel.  Mind you, with the Mavriks, and now the B21, I probably have at least 20 Callaway shafts around, so I can essentially "fit" myself out on the course.  Early testing, not every shaft works with the B21.  Some shafts will produce a consistent fade.  Some shafts will balloon, some will produce a very low trajectory.  And, with a fade swing, still no real draw even with the B21.  But now that I seem to have found a good combo with my Speeder 661 Evo VI (more on that), I am liking what I am seeing.  Straight shots, or slight cuts/fades that are in the fairway or close.

More on the Speeder 661--I was fit for it this past winter at CC with my Epic Flash 12* driver at the time.  Turned out, I hated the sound of the Epic Flash, and the 12* was not really ideal for me, so when the Mavriks came out, I dumped the Epic Flash.  And then, of course, the Speeder 661 turned out to not click with either of the Mavrik heads.  So it went into the basement in favor of other shafts.  I pulled it out for the B21 as every shaft I have is potentially the "one" right now, and with my initial testing of 8 shafts or so, the Speeder 661 was the winner.  Funny how those things work.  As an aside, I kind of messed up and picked up the stock RCH 55 regular shaft, when the 65 (regular or stiff) would have probably been a better option for me.  I'll see if I can test out the other stock shafts over time.  

YMMV, and hope this info helps. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

If you're a open faced heel hitting golfer, no club Will ever make you hit a draw. You Are in need of lessons. The wrong shaft in any club could induce the fade. Along with the wrong bevy of other club specs. You Are in need of a club fitter. 

The skill of the Indian far out weighs the tech savvy arrow. 

However if you Are that guy that has a decent move at the ball that just can't seem to straighten out the fade/slice. The club will help mask a swing flaw. If you are the type who hits this driver & still bananas the ball, GO TO A PGA PRO FOR A LESSON. It's you & nothing else but you

Edited by juggernaut0629

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

On 9/30/2020 at 11:59 AM, jeffrey r said:

I can add a little more insight on the B21 driver.  It is not an instant draw inducer.  It is not an instant fade avoider.  It is frankly, despite claims, much like every other driver in that it will put out what you put into it.  That said, it does seem to give me, in early testing, the combo that I was sort of looking for over the past few months with my standard Mav and Mav Max drivers.

From the beginning, despite the Mav Max being on paper the more logical driver for me, the standard Mav performed better for me.  I could never really get the Max dialed in--heavier weight in heel, heavier weight in back, different weight combinations, different shafts, etc.  It looked great to me, was very forgiving, but was never consistent enough.  The standard Mav performed better for me on a more consistent basis out on the course.  The standard Mav is lower spin (generally positive), but slightly less forgiving than the Max.

In early testing, the B21 seems to combine the traits I am looking for--lower spin, penetrating launch, very forgiving, great feel.  Mind you, with the Mavriks, and now the B21, I probably have at least 20 Callaway shafts around, so I can essentially "fit" myself out on the course.  Early testing, not every shaft works with the B21.  Some shafts will produce a consistent fade.  Some shafts will balloon, some will produce a very low trajectory.  And, with a fade swing, still no real draw even with the B21.  But now that I seem to have found a good combo with my Speeder 661 Evo VI (more on that), I am liking what I am seeing.  Straight shots, or slight cuts/fades that are in the fairway or close.

More on the Speeder 661--I was fit for it this past winter at CC with my Epic Flash 12* driver at the time.  Turned out, I hated the sound of the Epic Flash, and the 12* was not really ideal for me, so when the Mavriks came out, I dumped the Epic Flash.  And then, of course, the Speeder 661 turned out to not click with either of the Mavrik heads.  So it went into the basement in favor of other shafts.  I pulled it out for the B21 as every shaft I have is potentially the "one" right now, and with my initial testing of 8 shafts or so, the Speeder 661 was the winner.  Funny how those things work.  As an aside, I kind of messed up and picked up the stock RCH 55 regular shaft, when the 65 (regular or stiff) would have probably been a better option for me.  I'll see if I can test out the other stock shafts over time.  

YMMV, and hope this info helps. 

I finally got a chance to test the B21 driver last Friday during some down time at a fitting event, and count me as being very impressed. Like practically every YouTube reviewer said, I got along with it much better than I expected to do. I think it was Alex Etches that described the shape as being like a Dorito sitting behind the ball, and while he's right about that if you can get past that the driver has an impact feel/sound one would sooner associate with a driver designed with better players in mind. Soft but not dead impact sound, muted but not dead impact feedback in the hands, and it's not going to take a back seat to anything from a launch conditions perspective when fitted properly. I may take it out for 18 on Tuesday afternoon, but not sure I want to do that with my club championship scheduled for this weekend.

Edited by bcflyguy1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

27 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

I finally got a chance to test the B21 driver last Friday during some down time at a fitting event, and count me as being very impressed. Like practically every YouTube reviewer said, I got along with it much better than I expected to do. I think it was Alex Etches that described the shape as being like a Dorito sitting behind the ball, and while he's right about that if you can get past that the driver has an impact feel/sound one would sooner associate with a driver designed with better players in mind. Soft but not dead impact sound, muted but not dead impact feedback in the hands, and it's not going to take a back seat to anything from a launch conditions perspective when fitted properly. I may take it out for 18 on Tuesday afternoon, but not sure I want to do that with my club championship scheduled for this weekend.

Ha, yeah, not sure I'd want to introduce a new driver right before your club championship.  But, this is one case where I don't think you'd do yourself too much harm with the B21.

I am now a few more rounds in with B21.  As I did not go through a proper fitting before purchasing this, I still need more time doing my own testing out on the course.  I have had success with some different shafts so far, but I need more time out on the course to sort out the lighter/heavier, softer/stouter shaft differences.  I value consistency over eeking out a few more yards of distance.  The B21 does do a great job at mitigating less than stellar swings.  It won't do miracles, and it can certainly fade.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:13 PM, lefty1978 said:

Went in to buy a Mavrik Max, walked out with the B21. Had no idea about this driver until today. It is the straightest driver I have ever hit, I fade the ball and my miss is a slice. I could not slice this driver, every shot was straight or a slight draw. The Max was good, but the B21 was better (same price). They just got the B21 LH demo in, I took the plastic off, hit 10 balls with stock RCH and my Speeder 661. I bought the demo. I guess I'll see how it goes.

20200910_143054.jpg

Is the weight in the back removable? If so do you know what the stock one weighs? I always have to add weight to drivers, thankyou.

3 hours ago, _Switty_ said:

Is the weight in the back removable? If so do you know what the stock one weighs? I always have to add weight to drivers, thankyou.

Yes its removable. I believe its 5g, I'll have to check later. Callaway weights are easy to get. B21 uses same weights as the Mavrik line.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

• 1 month later...

A little thread revival ... Do not sleep on this lineup! I just put the B21 9 degree driver in the bag. What a great driver. Not all that much draw bias that I can see. I can fade it or draw it. I like the way it looks from address — the face is very easy to aim and has a nice color contrast against the crown. I have been crushing it for two rounds. Played it today at Bristow Manor in Virginia and this driver is my choice for 2021, no doubt. Longer than my Srixon z585 because the B21 is lower spin as advertised. Feel and sound are top notch — it feels sweet when you even come close to center contact.

I think a lot of players will like the fit of this driver if they test it. I initally switched to the Mavrik standard, also excellent, but the B21 is more of a fairway finder for me and better overall. I don’t fight a slice, not an issue. I have yet to hook this driver. Power baby draws are easy. Whatever iit does design-wise to have the weight slightly heelward (and weight forward inside the head), it works for me because it is long. I have the stock RCH 65 stiff in it. I am going to test a few other shafts in it that I have on hand — a 75g Tensei Blue and a more stout 65g Diamana S-plus — but I have to say the RCH has performed well even if it feels slightly whippy. But that is for dialing in, the driver is a  standout. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morry said:

I loved the Callaway 'v' series driver back 7-8 years ago....was it draw-biased???

I would love to try this, but I fight the hooks (swing too much from inside amongst other reasons)

Do you think chasing this is a waste of time for me?

thanks

Lots of drivers in the past had weighting to the heel side and were not labeled as draw biased drivers. I do not find this one particularly draw biased. It feels a little easier to turn over vs the standard Mavrik or Epic Flash, but not a massive difference. I do prefer a draw off the tee but I hit some fades with it my last round. It is easy to square up and what won me over is I like how it lines up at address plus it sounds sweet on nice hits. Definitely worth a demo. It really is a forgiving driver yet it also reduces spin. It has a lot of pop. I haven’t messed with the settings. I may lower the loft and see if I get a little more distance. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So I pulled the stock shaft and tried the B21 with the Aldila Rogue White shaft in 65 gram stiff. What a nice combo! A little more stout than the RCH it came with. The Rogue White gives the B21 a nice solid feel and tightens it up a bit. 

Great driver. Very fast and long. So glad I gave it a tryout. 

• Like 1

Easiest 3 wood to hit. I ended up getting the driver too since I was hitting the 3 wood farther than my driver. I wish this would have been done earlier in the year. I feel like I gained distance and most of all I gained all my accuracy back with the big stick that I have been chasing back down the last 3 seasons. I cannot wait for 2021 season to start. 

2 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

Easiest 3 wood to hit. I ended up getting the driver too since I was hitting the 3 wood farther than my driver. I wish this would have been done earlier in the year. I feel like I gained distance and most of all I gained all my accuracy back with the big stick that I have been chasing back down the last 3 seasons. I cannot wait for 2021 season to start. 

Draw bias is keeping me away from this line......would love to try driver or 5 wood 

I even found Mav a little draw biased 

Anyone who normally fights a hook have a take on these?

appreciated

4 hours ago, Morry said:

Draw bias is keeping me away from this line......would love to try driver or 5 wood 

I even found Mav a little draw biased 

Anyone who normally fights a hook have a take on these?

appreciated

I fight a hook in everything but my driver, and I spent a good portion of the last two years fighting a straight duck hook with the big stick. These work great for me. I hit them dead straight, driver just a tiny baby cut if anything. Only reason I even tried them was my buddy works at the golf shop I bought them from. I was hitting 3 woods (SIM Max, Ping, Titleist) and I wasn't hitting any of them very good. He asked me if I was willing to try something and keep an open mind. I said it could be pink with polka dots as long as it works. He went and grabbed the 3 wood and I proceeded to launch 30 of them almost dead straight over and over again. I was hitting it past my driver (SIM) and I told him go grab the driver also. Ended up walking out of there with both of them and I couldn't be happier. I'd go try them. I would have never picked that club up off the rack on my own. I was shocked at the outcome.