Need help with the driver

harryt43

I'm no pro but that all looks pretty good to me. I'm betting it's just a matter of consciously closing the face a little. Are you familiar with the motorcycle drill? 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Right arm gets too far behind you and your turn is too flat (shoulders and hips) without sufficient right hip depth.     Steep pull down (typically of being across the line) and way to early kick out of right hip/knee leads to getting arms behind and resulting EE/stall/flip.    what Monte terms 68 ballerina - arms at p6 and hips at p8.      Best action - take a lesson from a good teaching pro - best here are monte and iteach.

Where you turn flat and lose angles allowing you to over turn and get club across the line (along with right arm being to far behind, ie separated from right pec).

1949551662_ScreenShot2020-08-19at11_17_49AM.png.a843d601d5b621d7d24da2ea4254b993.png

Steep pull down with hip kick out - hips lead way too much getting arms behind and shaft steep - some EE to shallow and push path out to the right and then hip stall with arms catching up late.

1489461520_ScreenShot2020-08-19at11_18_09AM.png.a515f4b2ef6e74a0aabd725f31dfbff4.png

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Thanks very much for the response. I am working with someone locally, but all we have really worked on was getting the backswing flatter, as I was coming over the top. This is the type of detail I really think will help me. I will look into monte and iteach, while working on keeping the right arm connected on the backswing.

I think you would be well served to work on the feel of weight and pressures in your lead foot. At transition your feet are so static. Trying to get things moving before things are leveraged. Right hips and knees are firing too early. Your lead foot is setting you up for a slight over the top move. Your lead knee is destined to make the same cut motion that your body follows. 

The idea is to get your lead heal closer to the target to start transition. This promotes the left knee to work out to the target before turning around. Keeps the right shoulder down maintaining spine angle. All of this is helping to swing in to out to hit that elusive draw. Below is Viktor Hovland. 

image.png.16236e3bd18b5b09c4b3a469be30c746.png

One more, extreme example with Matt Wolfe, but motion can be used as a feel on the range.

image.png.652acc145c91e483041f7803ff23d114.png

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Swing looks good and I wouldn't change anything drastic. Get on a quality launch monitor to look at the path/face relationship and the chances are you are a small tweak away from hitting the shots you want.

Something to keep in mind is that things are often backwards in the golf swing. For example people who take it back way inside and flat with the goal of swinging in to out (you) will most likely have to throw it over the top so they don't miss the ball. Conversely someone like Furyk or Wolff take it up super steep but actually deliver the club from the inside.

• Like 1

Your shoulders are too open at address and you’re staying in flexion too long....also known as keeping your head down.  

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Quick video of the 6 iron. I’ve been working on getting my weight more in my right foot and syncing the body. My hips are still ahead but I do feel like I’m making more consistent contact. Played 9 today and bombed some drives but I’m leaving the face open and missed a lot of shots right. I’ve got to get on the range more and not just hit into this net. Thanks for all the tips and letting me know what everyone is seeing. 
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, harryt43 said:

Quick video of the 6 iron. I’ve been working on getting my weight more in my right foot and syncing the body. My hips are still ahead but I do feel like I’m making more consistent contact. Played 9 today and bombed some drives but I’m leaving the face open and missed a lot of shots right. I’ve got to get on the range more and not just hit into this net. Thanks for all the tips and letting me know what everyone is seeing. 

i'm not a pro but this looks like a solid iron swing to my untrained eyes. you're maintaining your spine angle better and you aren't lifting your head like in the previous videos. 

how's your ball flight with this club? notice any differences in consistency, shape or distance? and how are you hitting driver now? 

Lots of things to like about this swing, but it is still not properly sequenced.

You lack extension in the follow thru ... a sign that arms and pivot aren't quite in phase towards the ball. Firing the arms to compensate for being across the line, perhaps?

Also, take note on your knees and especially your right knee. You have the knees "inwards" ... too little knee separation. Compare right knee to a couple of pro's picture above in the thread. You move your knee directly towards the target ... the pros keep their knee behind for a little longer and shift over to the lead foot instead. The distance between the knees should increase during transition. Subtle difference on the pictures, but mechanically big differences. Foot spinning vs proper shift & external hip rotation.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:00 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Your shoulders are too open at address and you’re staying in flexion too long....also known as keeping your head down.  

I also thought flexion and not EE. Could it be caused by the left leg straightening too soon on the downswing instead of the left knee externally rotating and staying flexed in transition?

21 minutes ago, harryt43 said:

Any other tips for not letting it get across the line? I’m trying to keep the elbow closer but continue to get long and across. In terms of ball flight my last round was very solid with a nice draw, while mostly focusing on syncing and not letting my left hand open during transition.

Get a smart ball.  Will help with right elbow and syncing the swing.    Still need better right hip depth - get that left knee moving ore out toward toes - exaggerate the amount of bend it.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Ok the smart ball is on order. As for getting across the line, I feel like my club head is still pointing left of my target at the top of the swing. I’ll keep working on the right hip depth. I’ll probably get to practice in the next day or two and post another video (2 month old and 22 month old means it’s not as often as I’d like) 

Edited by harryt43

37 minutes ago, harryt43 said:

Ok the smart ball is on order. As for getting across the line, I feel like my club head is still pointing left of my target at the top of the swing. I’ll keep working on the right hip depth. I’ll probably get to practice in the next day or two and post another video (2 month old and 22 month old means it’s not as often as I’d like) 

I understand my three sons are just 3 years apart when u til the youngest got to be around 5 things were hectic.    Things like pivot can be worked on without a club and taking 5 minutes here and there - just cross arms on chest . . .   I still practice that way a lot around the house.    And actually practicing for say 10 minutes then stepping away for an hour then coming back is a good way to train the brain - on course you take 5 minutes between shots and folks complain about not being able to take new motions to the course - hit and rake allows one to groove a move but is poor training for actual round of golf.

lots of tour pros use the smart ball from j rose to m Fitzpatrick.    Syncs swing.   Shortens motion.   Provides arm structure.

good luck

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

Your body intuitively knows that if you released the club you'd hit a pull hook, which is usually a shot that's off the planet.  As a result, you hold on and get the cut.  This is not a "release the club" problem... your mind is screaming "HELL NO" to the hands in the downswing because athletically you instinctually know it's off the planet left... so your athleticism is doing its job.  Not everyone has that, so you've got a lot going for you.  IMO, it's a path problem rooted from a confusion of power sources that gets things out of sequence... and it's a classic issue that most amateurs fight (including me).  The longer the club and harder you swing, like the driver, the more exaggerated the problem.  It's the reason most people slice, only you're a much better player so you instinctively know how to save it and get a tasty shot.  But it's a timing thing so you can have a two way miss to consider... tasty cuts or off the planet hooks, and sometimes somewhere in the middle.

If you want to fix a small sequence problem, and really, this is a small adjustment to a good golf swing, I think you have to exaggerate the other direction and work your way back.  Learn to hit a push as a starting place, and that's with a chasing club to that line of flight.  The rest you'll figure out instinctively.  If you can get on a trackman and see you path numbers, you could work your way closer to what you want.

• Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Videos from today. Backswings seems to be looking a little better and I’m working hard on my right hip depth. I’ve gained about 15 yards on the driver and ~10 on my irons, which has been nice. It still seems like my hips are beating my arms to the ball and I’m having the hardest time getting these synced up. I’ll keep working on it.  Edited by harryt43

Try some simple foot flare changes to load better going back and abet your rotation going down. 

Having your rear foot perpendicular to the target line is bio mechanically the most efficient way to load your rear foot

Flaring your lead foot 1/4 turn towards the target will make it easier to externally rotate your left hip during transition (resulting in your left knee rotating towards the target ala  George  Gankas).

This will also help increase the distance between your knees during transition.

So I tried to flare my lead heel more towards the target and my shots were left going even further left. Obviously my face was closed but I wonder why it was so much more extreme with this one small change. I’ll try to hit some on my flightscope tomorrow and get some videos to see if anything sticks out.  Thanks for all the help so far. I’ve got a mid am qualifier here in a few weeks so hopefully these changes are gonna help. 

22 hours ago, harryt43 said:

So I tried to flare my lead heel more towards the target and my shots were left going even further left. Obviously my face was closed but I wonder why it was so much more extreme with this one small change. I’ll try to hit some on my flightscope tomorrow and get some videos to see if anything sticks out.  Thanks for all the help so far. I’ve got a mid am qualifier here in a few weeks so hopefully these changes are gonna help. 

Not read the whole thread but scanned most of the videos anyone mentioned your EE in the backswing? Trying to get depth in the right hip as you have mentioned is good but you don’t want to let the left hip work towards the ball. AMG did a great you tube/instagram on it. On all the videos you lose your tush line in the backswing

On 9/7/2020 at 5:56 PM, harryt43 said:

sometimes when i get a case of the pulls i'll focus on keeping my back facing the target longer. 

Looks like your ball is too far forward in your stance. You might pull it back about a ball or two. Your contact on it allows it to start on the target line and draw left. I think with a little earlier contact you can push the ball a little more right then draw back in to your aim point. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

14 hours ago, Hilts1969 said:

Not read the whole thread but scanned most of the videos anyone mentioned your EE in the backswing? Trying to get depth in the right hip as you have mentioned is good but you don’t want to let the left hip work towards the ball. AMG did a great you tube/instagram on it. On all the videos you lose your tush line in the backswing

I’ll work on this, as another person mentioned it earlier. It’s funny because my hip turn has probably not changed in years and I didn’t know it was an issue but now as I’m really studying the golf swing more I see where I’m not getting them in the correct spot on the backswing. 

And hoselpalooza, that is exactly what I was working on last night. I was also working barefoot to try to just slow my entire lower body down. Seems to help some and I’m going to go to the range this afternoon to check on progress.

• Like 1