Opinions on Maltby Wedges?

hidrives

I have built and played several including the M-Series, an older Tricept, and two Tour Grind MG wedges that are currently my main gamers.  I will at some point in the next year try the TSW's. 

I explored Maltby initially because of wedges.  I had been playing some Vokeys from my college days and they were shot.  I couldn't stomach dropping $150 on a wedge.  So I took a chance on building some Maltbys.  Overall I have been very happy with the choice.  The performance is absolutely equal to an OEM in my hands.  The grooves are great and I get great spin.  You don't get the same variety of sole grinds, which can be a big factor for how your motion interacts with your turf conditions.  The M series has variable width and the Tour MG and TSW have more 'modern' soles with quite a bit of bounce, relief, and camber.  I have found the DBM finish to be extremely durable compared to other dark finishes. 

I will say that I don't always think Maltby clubs look the best.  The TSW is an exception as I really dig the more minimal aesthetic.  But the M-Series and Tricept wedges have never wowed me in terms of looks. 

I also think wedges are a low risk option for someone who maybe hasn't built a ton of clubs.  My first Maltby build involved taking the head off my old vokey and replacing it with the new Maltby.  I used a blow torch and some epoxy from Golfworks.  Super easy build.  I'd recommend them to anyone. 

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

I've played a M Series+ and a Tour Grind MG 60 mainly because I wanted to try different grinds. I liked the Tour Grind MG so much I ordered a Vokey M grind thinking they should be pretty close. Tour Grind MG 7* bounce with a grind like the M from Vokey, the Vokey M grind had 8*. I never got comfortable with the Vokey, it had a little bit wider sole and the leading edge was a little higher. I play on hard pan tight lies and I can still open up the Tour Grind MG. Feel and distance control is just as good, some may even prefer it like me.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

1 hour ago, kleydejong said:

I have built and played several including the M-Series, an older Tricept, and two Tour Grind MG wedges that are currently my main gamers.  I will at some point in the next year try the TSW's. 

I explored Maltby initially because of wedges.  I had been playing some Vokeys from my college days and they were shot.  I couldn't stomach dropping $150 on a wedge.  So I took a chance on building some Maltbys.  Overall I have been very happy with the choice.  The performance is absolutely equal to an OEM in my hands.  The grooves are great and I get great spin.  You don't get the same variety of sole grinds, which can be a big factor for how your motion interacts with your turf conditions.  The M series has variable width and the Tour MG and TSW have more 'modern' soles with quite a bit of bounce, relief, and camber.  I have found the DBM finish to be extremely durable compared to other dark finishes. 

I will say that I don't always think Maltby clubs look the best.  The TSW is an exception as I really dig the more minimal aesthetic.  But the M-Series and Tricept wedges have never wowed me in terms of looks. 

I also think wedges are a low risk option for someone who maybe hasn't built a ton of clubs.  My first Maltby build involved taking the head off my old vokey and replacing it with the new Maltby.  I used a blow torch and some epoxy from Golfworks.  Super easy build.  I'd recommend them to anyone. 

I thought Golfworks will build the club for you. Am I mistaken? 

I've got two of the Maltby Design wedges, both 60*.  Built one for use with my graphite shafted irons, and one with steel shaft for most everything else, went with the mid-sole in both cases.  Like both of them quite a lot.  Like the feel, they spin quite nicely.  I'm thinking about picking up a 54* for use with my 49* PW sets.

Trying them has made me something of a fan.  ?

edited to add:  yes, GolfWorks will build them for you, for $10, I believe.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Ive been using Maltby wedges (And irons) for 20 yrs. Play to a 3 hndcp. And I have access thru tour friends to top end wedges. The Maltbys are as good or better than any (Cleveland’s are the only ones that are really as good). They will build them for you, or you build them. So many models, many options, top end quality . Can’t go wrong 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
Fw: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R

3 and 4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Srixon Zstar 🔷

YES-- Maltby wedges are very good.  The TSW is their best ever.   I am a HS golf coach and club builder- 30 years.   I play to a 6 now.   I have to agree with Nat that Cleveland is a great wedge.  Maltby's are every bit as good

I have played Maltby since their original M-series-  Think Cleveland 588-- classic.. Wish they still offered them.     Their more recent offering were good-  Tour Grinds were solid.   The TSW takes the best of all and puts it into one wedge.  Multiple lofts- wonderful grind.   I play the 54 and 58.   They put my nearly new Callaway MD-4 on the bench.    They are softer than the most recent offerings-( M-series soft)- they are VERY sharp looking.   Understated graphics- polished satin..  classy.    They will build them for you for free-   Buy the PAK and there is no better deal going.  

2 hours ago, hidrives said:

I thought Golfworks will build the club for you. Am I mistaken? 

Yes, I believe it is a free assembly if you order a pak.  I have never done it, but I imagine it is a great option.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

11 hours ago, mustang said:

YES-- Maltby wedges are very good.  The TSW is their best ever.  

Agreed!  The spin on the TSW wedge is phenominal.  It feels great, it's forged, comes in all lofts, doesn't have too much offset and is not an overweight head so you get a normal swingweight unlike some other Maltby wedge heads.

Edited by wcbjr

10 hours ago, Noodler said:

If you need to bend them be really careful with the DBM finished wedges.  Don't ask me how I know...

I don't have to ask, I have personal experience.  Thankfully it was only a gap wedge and I didn't use it.  Just wanted to see how much I could bend it.  The answer ended up being...none.

• Haha 1

I play the M Series + Tour 52 and MId 58 heads on KBS 610 shafts, and they've been great.  They spin like hell and I like the grind.  The feel is nice on 3/4-full shots, and they're pretty darn forgiving on toe strikes for a wedge, which is my miss. Low bounce works well for the combination of courses and shots that I normall play.   Not the most aesthetically pleasing but they work great.  I had hit the Vokeys and Callaways from this year as well, and decided to take a chance on the Maltbys, as I built both clubs for a total of $160.  I'm not disappointed in the slightest and they've earned a solid spot in my bag. 
20200811_172220.jpg.260c8921e315f1456db5eab954a0b2c7.jpg.ed44f0b79c0878d4cf652af716ae225e.jpg

Edited by mcounci2

4 hours ago, mcounci2 said:

I play the M Series + Tour 52 and MId 58 heads on KBS 610 shafts, and they've been great.  They spin like hell and I like the grind.  The feel is nice on 3/4-full shots, and they're pretty darn forgiving on toe strikes for a wedge, which is my miss. Low bounce works well for the combination of courses and shots that I normall play.   Not the most aesthetically pleasing but they work great.  I had hit the Vokeys and Callaways from this year as well, and decided to take a chance on the Maltbys, as I built both clubs for a total of $160.  I'm not disappointed in the slightest and they've earned a solid spot in my bag. 
20200811_172220.jpg.260c8921e315f1456db5eab954a0b2c7.jpg.ed44f0b79c0878d4cf652af716ae225e.jpg

I don't totally dislike the look of them, but they aren't 'clean' like name brands are. i've never understood why non-name brands don't go with more slick packaging rather than massive colors and print. The new tour looks more clean, but still really baffles me. 

1 hour ago, hidrives said:

I don't totally dislike the look of them, but they aren't 'clean' like name brands are. i've never understood why non-name brands don't go with more slick packaging rather than massive colors and print. The new tour looks more clean, but still really baffles me. 

Same here...I don't see the need for anything other than the degree, "Matlby" and maaaybe the m-series and sole width text.  The big logo and dots...pass...  Luckily I can't see any of that at address!!

Edited by mcounci2

As a lefty, Maltby has limited options in virtually every club type.  That said, I really love the Maltby LE forged wedges.  They are as accurate as any wedge I have used including the expensive Vokeys.  I have both a 56* and the 60*.  Golfworks will adjust loft and lies to your specification and assemble with any shaft in their lineup.  I think I paid around 60$/club when I purchased them 2 years ago.  I highly recommend them.

I just got a couple of the M series in. Have only played one round and one practice session, but there is no noticeable difference between them and other OEM brands (have had Callaway and Vokey in the bag most recently).

The bounce and sole width options in the M series let you basically do whatever you want. For $80 to have a wedge built exactly how you want, you can't beat it.

I built a 54 in the mid series to have a low bounce forgiving approach wedge from ~100 yards. I hit every green when that was my approach shot (around 10 or so) and it had more spin on them than I am used to. Was very pleased with it.

I am a low single digit handicapper and built the TS1 irons and TSW wedges recently. They are both as good as anything on the market in my opinion. Top notch quality. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

22 minutes ago, Jtgavigan said:

I am a low single digit handicapper and built the TS1 irons and TSW wedges recently. They are both as good as anything on the market in my opinion. Top notch quality. 

I want to see someone do a head to head with the new P770s vs the TS1s. I doubt you'll see any difference, and the TS1s will be more than 50% less expensive than the P770s.

1 hour ago, Jeremy8810 said:

I want to see someone do a head to head with the new P770s vs the TS1s. I doubt you'll see any difference, and the TS1s will be more than 50% less expensive than the P770s.

I know. I was just working with a pro on Monday and he was very impressed with the sound, looks, and ball flight of my TS1s. Best irons I have ever hit.

I haven't gotten along great with a Maltby driver yet, but the rest of the clubs i have have been money. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X