Seeking Advice: New Irons v. Current Irons in Upcoming Club Championship

Seeking opinions of experienced golfers. My Club Championship is coming up in 11 days. I can probably hit the range 4-5 times and get at least 18 holes in before the tournament.

For the last 2 years, I have been gaming Callaway Apex CF16s with XP 95 R300 shafts. Standard length, 1.5 upright lie angle.

6 weeks ago, I was fit at Club Champion for Ping i210s (blue dot) with Modus 105 Stiff shafts, length +0.5"

Obviously these clubs have different profiles. Ping set is heavier, longer, and stiffer than current set.

I had told myself I wasn't going to switch until after the tournament because the new set wasn't supposed to be delivered for another week due to Ping's COVID backlog. But they arrived today, 8 days before estimated delivery. 

What would you do in my situation? Do you continue practicing and playing with the current set through the Club Championship and save the switch for afterwards? Or do you make the switch now, use the next 2 weeks to get used to the new set, and game them in the tournament?

Edited by DLev45

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d never go into a competition that mattered with a brand new set of irons.  There’s not enough time to really get comfortable and I’d be be thinking about the club instead of the shot.  I don’t want

Definitely wait.    I wouldn't do any sort of serious competition with equipment with which I wasn't intimately familiar. Be thinking about your game and your shots, not your tools.

I’d never go into a competition that mattered with a brand new set of irons.  There’s not enough time to really get comfortable and I’d be be thinking about the club instead of the shot.  I don’t want to find out on the third hole that the 7-iron is a little hot. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
Putter: Evnroll ER2
Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Definitely wait. 

I wouldn't do any sort of serious competition with equipment with which I wasn't intimately familiar. Be thinking about your game and your shots, not your tools.

That was definitely my instinct. No way I could be as confident in 2 weeks as I am with clubs I have used for 2 years. 

It’s just tough to let those shiny new clubs sit there the next 10 days while I continue to prep for the tournament. I’m like a child who peeked in the closet on December 14th and saw his Christmas presents. 

Edited by DLev45

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Wow!! as tempting as it is, you know the performance of your callaways so stick with that. Although the temptation is to put the Pings in play, what if's would be that you dont like the Pings and you end up going back to the Callaways. Always better to finish the season with what got you there.

TaylorMade RBZ Tour 9* Motore 60 S
TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 GD BBS 60S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Mizuno921 4-GW SteelFiber I95 Stiff

Cobra MIM Masters Edition 56*

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness