How did you conquer the shanks?

dakpery

On 8/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, parmark said:

Its all about Early Extension. Moves your pelvis and hips up and towards the ball, not the target line and arms - and club head - into out into the ball.  Sucks.

I focus on turning right hip back  so it doesn't jut out to start downswing.

Rear's it's ugly head at the more inopportune time.

Shanks are caused by hitting the ball on hosel of the club.  Chronic shanks are caused by a shot pattern that is up on the neck.  As long as a golfer believes that there is a mechanical cause of a shank said golfer will live in fear of them and will probably hit a lot of them.  

Funny about the weight distribution ideas. I have experienced the exact opposite.  I would start having my weight too far back on my heels.  My body would re-center during the swing, which moved me closer to the ball, and.... shank.

The fact that there are so many ways to shank makes me think that part of it has to be simply a mis-perception by the brain that needs to be re-trained.   I mean, how many of us have moved closer or farther away, and still hit the hosel?  Or the toe if we are fighting toe hits.    In theory, you move an inch closer or farther, with the same mechanics, your impact should move by an inch.  But that doesn't happen, because the brain perceives the ball and your swing in space, and attempts to put the clubhead on the ball to suit.  So your brain is mis-perceiving  the location of something involved.  I have noticed that a mis-fit club can alter this perception too.  It's still the brain doing it, but the club is what caused the mis-perception.

I would think @Nels55 suggestion of working on hitting all of the parts of the clubface, back and forth, is the best long run answer to re-training your brain.  But I've not really tried it because I don't have the problem often enough to work on it.

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

The Emperor's Solution For Shanks

My theory of what causes the shanks is that at address, the hands are too close to the thighs.  I believe that in the golf swing, at impact the hands and arms return to the most natural, relaxed position as if they hang loosely from the shoulders.  Take your address position without a club in your hands and just clap your hands a couple times to relieve the tension and you will see that they will hang loosely and naturally.  That is the position the hands and arms will return to at impact.  What causes the shank, I believe, is that at address the hands are a bit crowded into the body.

The golf swing can be fickle when it comes to address posture and position.  Sometimes you can be standing too upright and not know it, and sometimes you set up with your hands too close or too far away and still not know it.  When you first shank, try this. Drop a ball and set up to the ball with the club, with the ball in the middle of the club face.  Stop and let the club drop to your thigh and clap your hands a couple times to relieve the tension and let the arms hang naturally.  Now keeping your left hand still in this relaxed position, use your right hand to put the club in your left hand and now address the ball.  If you see the ball dead on line to the hosel, your hands were crowded at address.  Because the hands were too close to the body to begin with, at impact they naturally extended outward to the natural position and thus the toe arrives more extended away from you--and the hosel, of course--thus the shank.

Think of it this way.  Try deliberately extending your arms a foot or so far outside and swing.  You will whiff the ball from the inside.  Now try deliberately setting up with your hands so close to your body they are touching your thighs.  You will whiff the ball from the outside.  Get it now?

The clap drill is what I use periodically when I do hit the rare shank, and for me it always works.  The solution is simple: at address I set my feet back about an inch and I extend my arms and hands further forward about an inch and then address the ball in the middle of the club face.  There will be times when you set up with your hands two inches too close to you or too far from you and you don't even notice until it's too late.

I hope this helps.  It helped me.

• Like 2

I had then Tin Cup moment of shanks about 10 years ago.  Note have always had a neutral grip.  The only way I could stop them that day was to put a hitch in my swing (forced delay to feel club 3/4 along in back swing) My backswing was not getting set before my transition to forward swing.  Kept that hitch until 4 years ago when I finally had the time to fix the issue.  Slow take away and feel club at transition (feel club make the stop). For me it is always getting a fast transition.  No time to get club face closed.  Now that I have gone to a strong grip, I have not seen one of the dreaded Sh$*ks. 

I agree with the open club face being the culprit.  I occasionally get them and heel strikes on chips and pitches and it is from rolling the club open and inside on the way back.  If the club is still open too late on the way down, the only way back to the ball is to stand the shaft up, uncock your wrists and roll the club face.  If you are late in this, the hosel will get to the ball first.  On full swings, I have a tendency to get lazy sometimes, roll the club inside and as a result I am dumped under plane with a path too much from the inside and an open club face on the way down.  The bodies reaction to this is to early extend, uncock the wrists to stand the shaft up, (steepen), and roll the face to try to square it...again, if you are late, the hosel gets there first.  

My check to fix it is to make sure I am taking the club away without rolling it open and inside, (keep the club head outside the hands and the face pointing at the ball longer).  Then, on the way down, I feel like I square the face to the path as early as I can which steepens my plane.  Picture the toe of the club getting to the ball at the same time as the hosel and if you have the shanks really bad, exaggerate this and try to feel like the toe is getting to the ball before the hosel.  In most cases, I find that our bodies are quite good at reacting to the club face.  (Also, this may all be hooey but it works for me, just note that I'm not a teacher, just a guy who has an interest in golf swings and gets it around okay) 

On 8/29/2020 at 11:18 PM, Nels55 said:

Shanks are caused by hitting the ball on hosel of the club.  Chronic shanks are caused by a shot pattern that is up on the neck.  As long as a golfer believes that there is a mechanical cause of a shank said golfer will live in fear of them and will probably hit a lot of them.  

Thank you Captain obvious. Let me know when your books coming out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, parmark said:

Thank you Captain obvious. Let me know when your books coming out.

Well, I have a friend who is a 6 handicap and is called 'Champ' at my course because of his ability to win golf matches.  He had a case of the shanks a few years ago and had no idea that the cause was hitting the ball on the hosel.  Once he figured that out he was able to overcome the problem.  So it is not so obvious to everyone.  

If your strike pattern is tight and in the middle of the club you will not hit many shanks.  If your strike pattern is very wide you are going to hit some and if your strike pattern is up on the neck you are going to hit a lot of them.

As for books I recommend 'The Practice Manual' by Adam Young.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, Nels55 said:

@Snowman9000 It was you who inspired me to read Adam Young's book 'The Practice Manual' which is where my knowledge of ball striking including what causes shanks got rounded out a great deal.

59 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

As for books I recommend 'The Practice Manual' by Adam Young.

I just finished reading this and I’m wondering what in the book specifically helps with shanks? Is it the purposely practicing hitting various parts of the club face bits?

48 minutes ago, RobertBaron said:

I just finished reading this and I’m wondering what in the book specifically helps with shanks? Is it the purposely practicing hitting various parts of the club face bits?

Yes, developing skill at hitting the ball in the center of the face will decrease the likelihood of shanking shots.  If you believe that you shanked a shot because you made some mechanical mistake on a swing that you did not make on a previous swing then you are likely to live in fear of the shanks and also repeat them quite often.  Improving swing mechanics may help to improve your skill at hitting the ball in the middle of the club but such things are not the answer in my experience.  For instance I know a teaching pro who has always had a technically outstanding swing who had a very serious bought  of the shanks at one point.  He cured the problem eventually by practicing hitting shanked shots until he no longer feared them and could find the middle of the face again with his same technically excellent swing.

Here is my first answer to the OP's question where I mention the stuff that helped me in my past battles with the shanks, I pasted it here since I cannot figure out how to make reference to it:

Shanks are caused by hitting the ball with hosel of the club.  This can be done with a mechanically perfect swing and with a terrible swing. 

One really good drill is to setup to the ball normally and then make three swings missing the ball on the inside with each swing and then go ahead and hit the ball with the fourth swing.  I have never seen that one fail.  

To really conquer the shanks practice hitting balls on the heel and toe of the club for as long as you can stand it.  Once you learn to control where on the face you are hitting the ball the shanks become less likely to happen. 

Last thing is that shanks are no big deal.  I have seen several on TV hit by big name players.  It happens, don't worry about it and move on.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, leekgolf said:

I miss them.

Years ago, when I was warming up before a round I hit a number of shanks in a row. I didn't really have time to try to do anything about it, so off i went to the first tee. I had a great round! At the time I was about a 12 handicap and shot somewhere around 75. The next time I warmed up I started hitting shanks again. Immediately I thought, I'm going to have a good round, and I did. For a few months that continued, hitting shanks during warmup and if I played well I could come in 73-75, if I played poorly it would be 77-79. I shot 81 once, but hd to hit two shots ob to do it.

The next season they were gone. I miss them.

It’s funny, same thing with me! I’ll shank a bunch on the range and not have one on the course.

one area where I get them is when the ball is severely above my feet. I chalk it up to a balance Issue.

Shanks have come and gone for me for years and just thought it was a balance issue, but then i got my wife to video my swing and i noticed my right heel (i'm a right hander) would lift really high at impact, this caused my right hip to go forward towards the ball, if not timed very well the club had no where to go but outwards hence a shank, since then ive purposely kept my right foot down as long as i can, which then enables me to keep my butt back as well, if i do it right hey presto no shanks, takes a bit of practice and feels like im hitting a big cut, but ball flight was great

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

On 8/30/2020 at 11:54 AM, Nels55 said:

@Snowman9000 It was you who inspired me to read Adam Young's book 'The Practice Manual' which is where my knowledge of ball striking including what causes shanks got rounded out a great deal.  Golf has been a lot more pleasurable sense reading that book!  Thanks my friend!

I enjoyed that book and it gave me some great ideas about practicing where I impact the ball on the face and working on low point and methods for grading my progress. Have you found it made you a better player?

8 hours ago, leekgolf said:

I enjoyed that book and it gave me some great ideas about practicing where I impact the ball on the face and working on low point and methods for grading my progress. Have you found it made you a better player?

It made me better because it caused me to focus on getting better impact per his priorities.  Prior to that I was a flipper and just lived with it.  His book made me realize that I needed a swing built from a good foundation.  The book is not really about technique, though.  It's about how to build a swing.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

15 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

It made me better because it caused me to focus on getting better impact per his priorities.  Prior to that I was a flipper and just lived with it.  His book made me realize that I needed a swing built from a good foundation.  The book is not really about technique, though.  It's about how to build a swing.

It's a good book, but even Adam Young admits technique is important. For every shank, there is a technical flaw that creates it. Monte's two ball drill or some of adam's methods can help as a short term band aide, but the long time cure is understanding the root cause. For me it's EE and shifting path too far right

3 hours ago, Krt22 said:

It's a good book, but even Adam Young admits technique is important. For every shank, there is a technical flaw that creates it. Monte's two ball drill or some of adam's methods can help as a short term band aide, but the long time cure is understanding the root cause. For me it's EE and shifting path too far right

Most shanks are a result of variability in ball striking not a technical flaw.  A lot of instructors believe as you do that any shot that is not perfectly struck is a result of a technical flaw so you have lots of company in your opinion but I happen to disagree.  After all a shanked shot is about a half inch from being an excellent shot so do you really think that the shank was a result of some supposed flaw like early extension that moved the contact point by a half an inch from a previous swing with good contact?  I don't as the early extension was there on the well hit shot also!

Adam Young made a post a while back about a video of a student shanking a shot that he posted on some golf pro forum where he asked a bunch of instructors to analyze why the golfer shanked the ball on that particular swing.  The other instructors came up with all sorts of swing flaws that caused the shank.  The reality was that the golfer shanked the shot because Adam asked him to do so.   I could do a similar experiment showing maybe ten of my swings with one ball that I intentionally shanked and without seeing the ball flight nobody would be able to tell which shot was shanked.  LOL experts might find lots of swing faults but they would not be able to tell which swing produced the hosel rocket! 

We can think of the game of golf as having two aspects, skill and technique.  Sound technique will help but skill beats technique every time.

Edited by Nels55
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Most shanks are a result of variability in ball striking not a technical flaw.  A lot of instructors believe as you do that any shot that is not perfectly struck is a result of a technical flaw so you have lots of company in your opinion but I happen to disagree.  After all a shanked shot is about a half inch from being an excellent shot so do you really think that the shank was a result of some supposed flaw like early extension that moved the contact point by a half an inch from a previous swing with good contact?  I don't as the early extension was there on the well hit shot also!

Adam Young made a post a while back about a video of a student shanking a shot that he posted on some golf pro forum where he asked a bunch of instructors to analyze why the golfer shanked the ball on that particular swing.  The other instructors came up with all sorts of swing flaws that caused the shank.  The reality was that the golfer shanked the shot because Adam asked him to do so.   I could do a similar experiment showing maybe ten of my swings with one ball that I intentionally shanked and without seeing the ball flight nobody would be able to tell which shot was shanked.  LOL experts might find lots of swing faults but they would not be able to tell which swing produced the hosel rocket! 

We can think of the game of golf as having two aspects, skill and technique.  Sound technique will help but skill beats technique every time.

I'm sorry but you are off on this. Shanks are not a mystery or just ball striking variability. The difference between a shank and a non shank is how well a golfer compensates for their flaws, not a flaw that just randomly shows up at random. You have the cause and effect relationship backwards, because technical flaws are actually extremely repeatable, what isn't are the compensations, which go haywire under pressure, on weird/bad lies, on partial shots, etc. Really skilled golfers can still have flaws, but their skill allows them to compensate more consistently. 

Adam Young is great and has lots of indirect methods that address technical flaws, but ultimately they are still flaws. 

I agree with Nels55. Most amateur players have mechanical swing issues. Just go to the driving range and look at the swings. OTT, early extending, you name it but they don’t all suffer chronic shanking. For example if you early extend on every shot then you can compensate to hit the ball off the sweet spot. It’s not like you early extend on one swing and not the next. You can shank with a perfect swing too with no early extension.

Chronic shankIng occurs when you perceive the hosel being the sweet spot. You are swinging the hosel at the ball. It’s actually quite natural if you think about it. Most other sports that use a club, bat or racquet wiil have the sweet spot in-line with the handle. In golf the club head is attached to the shaft at almost 45 degree so the sweet spot is not inline with the shaft so you can’t swing the shaft directly at the ball. You need to swing the shaft inside the ball.

I think the inside ball drill is excellent at fixing chronic shanks. It’s not just a bandaid. Address the ball of the middle of the club face and then proceed to hit an imaginary ball just inside of the actual one. You will now be swinging the hosel inside of the real ball which is exactly where it should be at impact. After a while you may not even need to think about hitting the inside ball. It will just be instinctive.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dap said:

I agree with Nels55. Most amateur players have mechanical swing issues. Just go to the driving range and look at the swings. OTT, early extending, you name it but they don’t all suffer chronic shanking. For example if you early extend on every shot then you can compensate to hit the ball off the sweet spot. It’s not like you early extend on one swing and not the next. You can shank with a perfect swing too with no early extension.

Chronic shankIng occurs when you perceive the hosel being the sweet spot. You are swinging the hosel at the ball. It’s actually quite natural if you think about it. Most other sports that use a club, bat or racquet wiil have the sweet spot in-line with the handle. In golf the club head is attached to the shaft at almost 45 degree so the sweet spot is not inline with the shaft so you can’t swing the shaft directly at the ball. You need to swing the shaft inside the ball.

I think the inside ball drill is excellent at fixing chronic shanks. It’s not just a bandaid. Address the ball of the middle of the club face and then proceed to hit an imaginary ball just inside of the actual one. You will now be swinging the hosel inside of the real ball which is exactly where it should be at impact. After a while you may not even need to think about hitting the inside ball. It will just be instinctive.

No, just no. Nobody shanks with a perfect swing and not even the hackiest of hacks ever perceives the hosel to be the sweet spot.

That's like saying some people perceive the aroma of gross flatulence to parallel that of freshly baked cookies, and thus chronically pass gas to tickle their own taste buds 

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Krt22 said:

No, just no. Nobody shanks with a perfect swing and not even the hackiest of hacks ever perceives the hosel to be the sweet spot.

That's like saying some people perceive the aroma of gross flatulence to parallel that of freshly baked cookies, and thus chronically pass gas to tickle their own taste buds 

I think the challenge with this thinking is that anyone can develop a "perfect swing." If someone develops the skill to control where on the club face the ball is at impact they can eliminate shanks. or shank on demand, 

Technique is important. Control of where the club is at impact won't by itself make a person with poor technique a good player. Face and low point control can certainly maximize the results of  whatever technique someone has. It takes both skill and technique/

7 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I'm sorry but you are off on this. Shanks are not a mystery or just ball striking variability. The difference between a shank and a non shank is how well a golfer compensates for their flaws, not a flaw that just randomly shows up at random. You have the cause and effect relationship backwards, because technical flaws are actually extremely repeatable, what isn't are the compensations, which go haywire under pressure, on weird/bad lies, on partial shots, etc. Really skilled golfers can still have flaws, but their skill allows them to compensate more consistently. 

Adam Young is great and has lots of indirect methods that address technical flaws, but ultimately they are still flaws. 

I understand your thinking but the OP asked specifically about conquering the shanks and I spent a few of my 54 years golfing battling the shanks.  Was I making some technique errors that tended to move the strike pattern towards the heel?  Yeah, probably especially considering how often I changed my grip, setup and swing searching for the holy grail of swing technique.  The things that I have described above are how I personally came to a point where I don't shank very often and I don't golf in fear of the shanks.  LOL hopefully you will never go where I went!  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leekgolf said:

I think the challenge with this thinking is that anyone can develop a "perfect swing." If someone develops the skill to control where on the club face the ball is at impact they can eliminate shanks. or shank on demand, 

Technique is important. Control of where the club is at impact won't by itself make a person with poor technique a good player. Face and low point control can certainly maximize the results of  whatever technique someone has. It takes both skill and technique/

Yes, I agree with you here that technique and skill are both important and I advise anyone who is beginning golf to go and take some lessons to at least learn some sort of correct fundamentals right from the start.  But that said what exactly is perfect technique?  Bryson DeChambeau?  Tiger woods?  How many times has he changed his swing?  In my years of golfing I have read many instruction books and watched a lot of videos and I have spent thousands of dollars on lessons.  Every expert had a different take on what the correct technique is and every one seemed to be sure that they were right and everyone else was wrong.  Every pro I have had lessons with tried to teach me something different.  So, who knows what this perfect technique is?  Some teach that there is one bio-mechanically correct swing and others teach that everybody is different and depending on physical makeup a different swing technique is needed.  Who is right?  How does one know what is correct for their own particular physical and mental makeup? 

For me personally I have figured out my own grip and technique that I believe in and is my own.  I have become fairly immune to being tempted to try some technique that I see on youtube or read on a forum or in a book or whatever.  

You can look into all kinds of sequence and path things for what is right or wrong (a journey that will take time), but bottomline, you need to learn to strike the center of the face.  It trumps everything else and it's all that matters.  The reality is, you could have the worse motion in the world and still strike the center of the face.

1. Verify that you're actually addressing the ball in the correct place.  It's not uncommon for people to think the ball is in the center of the clubface at address, but even at address it's off the heel.  Have someone check you, or check yourself by addressing the ball and holding the club there while looking from behind... some people are shocked.

2. We know a shank comes from an extreme heel strike... not to over simply... but don't do it.  Just like you wouldn't over analyze why you're missing a nail with a hammer, don't over analyze this.  Start with small / slow swings, and work up to speed striking the center of the club face.

3. Address the ball off the toe in a pinch.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

4 hours ago, leekgolf said:

This I agree with, I'm not saying you need a perfect swing to be shank free, but a technically sound swing won't just manifest a shank out of no where. We all have flaws, how well we compensate determines the outcome and variability of the shot, this even applies to the tour players who occasionally hit the hosel rocket.  There is more than 1 way to shank, so at least understanding how/why you shank will help in the long run if they start to show up

17 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

This I agree with, I'm not saying you need a perfect swing to be shank free, but a technically sound swing won't just manifest a shank out of no where. We all have flaws, how well we compensate determines the outcome and variability of the shot, this even applies to the tour players who occasionally hit the hosel rocket.  There is more than 1 way to shank, so at least understanding how/why you shank will help in the long run if they start to show up

Sound technique will not prevent shanks. If you read stories of excellent golfers who have had serious shanking problems they will talk about how the shanks always showed up at points where they were really puring shots one after another and then all of a sudden uncontrollable shank episodes.  Shanks are often caused simply because the golfers calibration is off.  Hand eye coordination or whatever you want to call it.  Anyone who thinks that there is some mechanical problem that caused the shank will likely go down a rabbit hole trying to correct the problem and will end up messing up their swing much worse then it was before the shank occurred.

i think the shanks can only be tamed, not conquered.

thanks to PGA tour live i've seen more pros hit shanks over the past two years than the previous 20. so if these guys still occasionally hit shanks i don't think we should fear (or be traumatized) by the occasional hosel rocket nearly as much as we've been conditioned to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nels55 said:

Sound technique will not prevent shanks. If you read stories of excellent golfers who have had serious shanking problems they will talk about how the shanks always showed up at points where they were really puring shots one after another and then all of a sudden uncontrollable shank episodes.  Shanks are often caused simply because the golfers calibration is off.  Hand eye coordination or whatever you want to call it.  Anyone who thinks that there is some mechanical problem that caused the shank will likely go down a rabbit hole trying to correct the problem and will end up messing up their swing much worse then it was before the shank occurred.

Yes it will, it's not rocket science. If you have a technically sound swing, are sycned up, have lots of room for the hands to get through impact with a neutral-ish path and relatively square face, it's nearly impossible to hit a shank. Shanks are caused when golfer a golfer doesn't properly compensate for a swing flaw that brinds the hosel closer to the ball. You can try to practice a ton to really groove the compensation, which many elite players including PGA tour pros do, or you can try to eliminate the root cause. 

On 9/2/2020 at 3:59 PM, Krt22 said:

Brian Manzella would disagree with you. He said golfers hit shanks because for whatever reason the player has mistaken the sweet spot for the hosel. He coins it lagging the hosel instead of lagging the sweet spot. He said this was more likely to occur when the club face is way open which puts the sweet spot right behind the hosel looking down the plane line. 

Most handicap players early extend but not all of them suffer chronic shanking so why is that? I can do the mother of all goat humps but I will still hit the middle of the club face if I’m sensing where the sweet spot is correctly. You would think if I lost my tushline by six inches I would completely miss the ball.