How did you conquer the shanks?

dakpery

10 hours ago, dannygrz said:

Any luck with the shanks this season? I’m currently going through them and want to quit. Even my driver is coming off the heel. 

Had the shanks so bad at the range last week, I was terrified to go to the course. Didn’t shank one on the course (didnt play great but ill take it)

My shanks are usually due to shifting weight on downswing to my toes. I practiced nonstop keeping weight more balanced to my heels by keeping my toes curled up and also just put two towels on the ground and practiced hitting between them. I try to basically hit the closest towel to keep my hands tighter inside. Works for me but still gunna practice a lot throughout the week

Although I get why people associate shanking with some combination of “mental” and fear issues, yips, and problems with hand-eye coordination, I just don’t believe those things have much to do with shanks. 

I suffered a terrible bout of shanks a few years back. It started with distance wedge shots. I wasn’t even sure what these weird 45 degrees left shots (lefty) were. I eventually realized “oh Lord, I have the shanks”.  It got to a point where I wouldn’t play my normal half lob wedge at 40 yards, because I knew a shank was possible. They only came every so often, but it was enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. But then, just randomly one day, I shanked a few chips before a round. And sure enough, on the 2nd hole I had a chip into the green and you guessed it...shank. By the end of that round, I was putting from anywhere off the green inside 30 yards. I went to the range afterward and hit 150 chips. Shanked probably 50 of them. The shanks lasted for a little while. But I eventually fixed them, and I learned more about what a shank really is. 

I fixed them through a combination of proper weight distribution, fixing a wide open face, and swing improvements. Nothing changed for me “mentally”. And my instructor at the time had me try the drill where you intentionally miss inside the ball. Worked for a little bit, but the shanks returned pretty soon afterward. My hand-eye coordination hadn’t changed. And I even tried some of the drills from “The Practice Manual”, hitting the ball on the toe, heel, sweet spot, etc. I still do those with my putter today, and they still don’t make me hit the sweet spot more often. But what does have me making center contact is when I get my swing on plane and on a proper path. 

Your mileage may vary, but for me, I’ve concluded that there is nothing mental or “mythical” or whatever about shanks. It is caused by some swing fault that shows up when your timing or weight distribution or whatever gets a little off. It gets worse because maybe you get a little tense worrying about shanking the shot, but the fault was there all along. And the shanks won’t go away until you figure out what that is and fix it. 

4 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Although I get why people associate shanking with some combination of “mental” and fear issues, yips, and problems with hand-eye coordination, I just don’t believe those things have much to do with shanks. 

I suffered a terrible bout of shanks a few years back. It started with distance wedge shots. I wasn’t even sure what these weird 45 degrees left shots (lefty) were. I eventually realized “oh Lord, I have the shanks”.  It got to a point where I wouldn’t play my normal half lob wedge at 40 yards, because I knew a shank was possible. They only came every so often, but it was enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. But then, just randomly one day, I shanked a few chips before a round. And sure enough, on the 2nd hole I had a chip into the green and you guessed it...shank. By the end of that round, I was putting from anywhere off the green inside 30 yards. I went to the range afterward and hit 150 chips. Shanked probably 50 of them. The shanks lasted for a little while. But I eventually fixed them, and I learned more about what a shank really is. 

I fixed them through a combination of proper weight distribution, fixing a wide open face, and swing improvements. Nothing changed for me “mentally”. And my instructor at the time had me try the drill where you intentionally miss inside the ball. Worked for a little bit, but the shanks returned pretty soon afterward. My hand-eye coordination hadn’t changed. And I even tried some of the drills from “The Practice Manual”, hitting the ball on the toe, heel, sweet spot, etc. I still do those with my putter today, and they still don’t make me hit the sweet spot more often. But what does have me making center contact is when I get my swing on plane and on a proper path. 

Your mileage may vary, but for me, I’ve concluded that there is nothing mental or “mythical” or whatever about shanks. It is caused by some swing fault that shows up when your timing or weight distribution or whatever gets a little off. It gets worse because maybe you get a little tense worrying about shanking the shot, but the fault was there all along. And the shanks won’t go away until you figure out what that is and fix it. 

I am little bit more on the hand eye side of this issue.  Reading your post makes me think that possibly it was the work on the drill that your instructor gave you along with the Adam Young drills that actually got your shanks under control.  LOL on the other hand it is very possible it was the mechanical fixes to your swing!  I have also stopped shanking as a result of doing similar mechanical fixes at times.  In the end it seems that whatever works is the best fix!  I do believe that understanding what a shanked shot is and that it is no big deal is a big key step to getting past them.

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

4 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Bah! Shanks are a supernatural event which have no earthly explanation 

• Like 1

Like most others, now, and again I experience a shank, but "conquer the shanks" is not my frame of mind.

I was playing a  165yd Par 3 not long ago, slightly elevated tee and elongate narrow green, basically an easy shot.  But because I was a bit bored with the courses finishing holes grabbed my 6i got over the ball and proceeded to hit the pur-dee-ist hosel rocket over the right OB fence.  Looked like about 165-170yds too. 😛 

When that happens I simply tell myself to focus and play golf.   What I am saying is I don't make a big deal out of it...sh** happens.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2, 9.5 Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW MMT 125
  • SM6 F-52/8 MMT 125
  • SM6 M-58/8 MMT 125
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I've been experimenting with a one-plane swing modeled off Todd Graves and Moe Norman and part of the setup is setting up with the heel on the ball.  I've been a lifelong on-and-off shanker and I haven't hit a single one doing this.  Something about the simplicity of the swing, maybe, but it makes me curious to try it with my two-plane swing and see what happens.

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 10.5° D Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

Mizuno ST-Z 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70X
Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X

Cobra King Pro MB 4-GW PURE'd Elevate Tour 115S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
 LAB DF 2.1
Jumbomax JMX Ultralite XS wedges / S 3W-GW / M driver

25 minutes ago, Tupperwolf said:

I've been experimenting with a one-plane swing modeled off Todd Graves and Moe Norman and part of the setup is setting up with the heel on the ball.  I've been a lifelong on-and-off shanker and I haven't hit a single one doing this.  Something about the simplicity of the swing, maybe, but it makes me curious to try it with my two-plane swing and see what happens.

Setting up with the ball on the heel is a shank fix that can work.  The brain often tends to move the path further in after seeing the setup on the heel.  The opposite often tends to happen if a golfer sets up with the ball on the toe or moves farther from the ball.  Shank city is often the result of those 'fixes'.

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

I had a decent 18-hole round this past Saturday, with especially good iron play.  I thought it a good idea to reinforce my improved play by hitting a large bucket of balls on the range.  After six good iron hits the shanks appeared.  I shanked everything from the 60° wedge to 4i.  I can usually go back to the basics to stop the shanks, but nothing I did alleviated it this time.  I never shanked so many balls in one setting.  My frustration level got completely out of control and I was on the threshold of being that visibly angry person who slams their clubs on the ground.  In times like this I give thoughts to quitting the game.  I decided to work on my driver and 3 metal with the remaining range balls.  I hit them really good.  Go figure!

I have had shanking problems over the years. I am 78 years old and started golf in my 20’s.  I usually cured them by hitting a few practice balls and getting my swing back.  
I tend to hit the ball inside the sweet spot towards the heel so if my swing is a half inch out I am hitting hosel rockets.

I am currently going through my worst period of shanking.  It is almost two months now. I have gone from shooting high 70’s - low 80’s to mid to high 90’s on our course.

My shanks generally start when I am hitting the ball well and scoring low.

I am trying everything (even a pro lesson) but they have stuck with me this time.  I feel I need to spend a month just hitting practice balls and not playing the course to cure the problem. However I enjoy playing with my mates to much to give it up.

While I have gone from 10 or so per round to one or two per round I still find that I am not swinging freely and it causes a lot of other bad shots.  Hence the shank or fear of shank has affected my whole game.  
I am sure that time, practice swinging at home, and concentration on the course will get me over this.  
There is no easy fix. The Pro considered my swing to be very good even though I hit a few shanks in front of him.

I am trying to read everything about shanks to get the “magic” cure.

Lol. Had to come back to this thread today. I’ve been flushing the ball so well over the past few months, playing the best golf of my life. Haven’t even “thought about” a shank in forever, other than in threads like this , etc. 

Well, literally out of nowhere in my first match of our match play tournament today...you guessed it...chip shanks. I also hit a couple of squirrelly iron shots that were “hosel adjacent” for sure. It cost me 3 holes in a match I lost on the 18th hole. Ugh!!!

It happened during the middle part of the round. I think I figured it out mostly, because it stopped on the 13th hole. But dayum...why did they have to show up in a freaking match!!!  Ugh!  

Golf is such a crazy game. 

I have found that squatting down  a bit more than usual is helping combined with trying to hit a toe shot.  Still having one or two a round.  Also noticed that driver, fairways and hybrids are occasional very heel contact.  More concentration and more practice required. 
also found single plane swing is helping.  

On 4/11/2021 at 9:06 PM, dannygrz said:

Any luck with the shanks this season? I’m currently going through them and want to quit. Even my driver is coming off the heel. 

Yes.  They are gone and I don’t think they’ll be back.  I found a Mike Malaska (my new favorite) video that helped.  I think this was the one.  

• Like 1

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2020 at 4:57 PM, kozubs said:

Are these full swing shots or Chips?  Do you slice or hook the ball?  Another cause is coming into the ball with the face open (slicer) or too far from the inside (Hooker).  

Make sure your not early extending your hips on the DS.  Try feeling like your belt buckle turns down towards the ground during your backswing and not up to the sky.  

I think this is my problem- it’s a tough habit to break. 

• Like 1

When I lost about 80 pounds about 20 years ago I developed them, I thought it was maybe from a change in my center of gravity, it could of been by lower flexibility due to the workout routine I was doing.  But it was really from ball position and early extension, which were related.  I was early extending, partly from getting too far from the ball and bending over too much thinking that would help with getting a "better" spine angle.  Being too far was what put it over the top.  Your body wants to balance itself, if you start with too much weight on your heels and bent over too much, it will naturally move to a more balanced position as you swing, however, that moves everything closer to the ball from where you started, and for me it led to hosel rockets.

One thing I did was move closer to the ball, so much so I at first didn't think I could even hit the ball being that close.  But what it did was force my body to balance itself by moving away from the ball as I swung, and I started to actually miss out on the toe.  What I got myself back to actually doing was what is in the  Mike Malaska video above, getting the hips to move properly in balance.... 

Monte has videos on this... 

WITB
TaylorMade Sim 2 9 degrees, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0
Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
Ping G410 5W and 7W Stock Alta S
Srixon Z585 5-PW Modus 3 105 S
Cleveland CBX 2  52(bent strong), 54, CBX full-Face 58, all DG 115 W
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select 34.5 in

Srixon Z Star XV

Conquer? I don’t think they will ever be vanquished, but after videoing my swing- 2 good ones, one hosel rocket-  now I know that the reason I’ve been hitting them is because I haven’t been starting the swing with my hips. It’s a hard to break the habit of swinging with my upper body, but a lot of repetition should get me to ingrain the muscle memory of swinging my left hip out. On the positive side, it’s a simpler swing- I just have to remember to move my belt buckle away and whip it through to the left. 

• Like 1

Hips hips hips.  All out of whack. Have spent years trying to figure and fix it. Cried myself to sleep many a night. Scared like a sissy standing over a simple 100 yard shot, making sure there was clearance to right field so not to shatter any bones or windshields.   

Seems I wasn't getting enough depth with Right hip in backswing and in turn was firing right hip up and out to initiate downswing and dropping right shoulder, forcing clubhead up and away from starting point and smack dab into the place you don't want it to end up.

Fix == feel starting down the left hip moving in direction of Right heel as the very first move, even before BS completed.

It's truly a miracle.

My hips are KILLING me, being older and feeling some aches.  And it's the best feeling ever. Means I'm doing it right.

Tip of the cap to one @MonteScheinblumfor providing this little detail and salvaging my game. Again.

Edited by parmark
  • Like 1

The first time I picked up a club I shanked it.  I then shanked an entire bucket.  I have missed off the heel every year of my 12 years of playing, including this year.  I spent the last 3 months trying to get rid of shanks and heel shots with woods. My handicap went from a 3.5 to a 5.6 and that was with limited playing.  Had I been playing a lot I would have ended up with a soft cap on it because I've been tortured with the fear of hitting it off the heel for months now.  

I'm getting back to hitting it towards the toe and able to not allow my terrible mind to start having a panic attack about hitting a shank.  The fix was a teacher telling me to bring the arms down with my back to the target.  I was first hesitant as my swing already looked like it was dumped under, but I consistently hit heel fades and would have a lot of one handed finishes with the felling of being "stuck".  In my mind I was already too far in to out and his fix would make it worse.  After the buy in, it's taken about 3 weeks to start for the fear to fade and I'm missing it towards the heel now.  

Whatever your issue is that is causing the shank/heel shot, I'd recommend you to find a good instructor, work with them regularly (in person if at all possible), and don't end up fighting it for months without someone telling you what to do to fix it.  Do not give up on the process as you'll have times where you think it's fixed and a heel shot/shank will pop up.  Be confident that at some point you're going to fix it with what you're doing.  Don't be adding pieces in until you can hit balls, under pressure on the course without that "feel" in your mind to keep you from shanking it.  

• Like 1
In search of solid contact...

3 hours ago, Lefty_3Jack said:

Whatever your issue is that is causing the shank/heel shot, I'd recommend you to find a good instructor, work with them regularly (in person if at all possible), and don't end up fighting it for months without someone telling you what to do to fix it.  Do not give up on the process as you'll have times where you think it's fixed and a heel shot/shank will pop up.  Be confident that at some point you're going to fix it with what you're doing.  Don't be adding pieces in until you can hit balls, under pressure on the course without that "feel" in your mind to keep you from shanking it.  

👋👋👋  Do this.

Edited by parmark

Quick fix for me on the rare occasion I find the hosel is to just start hitting fades only. I find their cause to usually be an extreme in to out path.  Feel of a fade moves the path more out to in or at least neutral.  And then the miss is moved to the toe. Problem solved. But for me it’s rare as I miss toeside anyway due to hitting a lot of fades. 

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 5-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50 edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

So I played today and shanked one shot- but that one shot got in my head and I didn’t hit my irons solid at all. My iron play was always my pride and joy and now with the fear of shanking it stinks. I only hit a couple of pure shots- it’s very frustrating. I thought I had it fixed by leading with the hips, but that different feel was hard to get used to on the course. Got to keep working the hip whip into my muscle memory. 
😫

• 2 months later...

The worst part of hitting a shank is after you hit enough of them you can’t help but think it every time you stand over the ball . I myself was a 6 handicap and now don’t play much at all . I dropped the club too far to the inside and it left the face wide open . Make sure you know what the cause is before you change anything 

I've contributed multiple times to threads like these with ideas/fixes that got the ball off the neck for me.  I'll add a few more:

-Move arms faster than body in downswing

-Back/body facing target and swinging the arms down

-Choke up, like a lot

-Modify follow through so that the club is exiting at or above your lead shoulder

In search of solid contact...

Almost every time I've had the shanks and was able to diagnose it.... it turned out that I was swaying. It's one of my swing flaws that I get from "over swinging". I normally never "over swing" unless I'm playing in a scramble tournament (I can't STAND playing in those) and start "swinging for the fences". I will typically play very poorly after playing in one of those damn tournaments.🤮

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I started out this year ok, but transitioned to shanking or topping everything for the last two months.  After many attempted tweaks and lack of success, I finally figured out that my set up had the ball too far away from me and condensing everything in my swing to be tighter around my body seems to have fixed the problem and increased my power to boot.